Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Maybe he was setting himself up to troll us and it failed spectacularly :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I doubt it was anybody that started today tbh.
    Can't see him giving anybody he wants to get rid of a starting place in the team unless it's absolutely necessary through injuries or whatever.

We aren't exactly overstocked with quality in midfield or on the wings,in fairness Valencia was up against a full back who'd struggle in Subutteo.Val even managed a cross with his left foot.
    Wellbeck hasn't looked like a striker for a couple of seasons,you'd have more faith in him putting the ball into the car park than into the net most times but yesterday he actually looked decent.
    Cleverley even managed to make runs beyond the forward line,that's what we haven't seen from ANY of our midfielders in ages.

These 3 players would be fairly high on any supporters list of those most likely to go,sure they had a decent game yesterday but as the saying goes "even sometimes the sun shines on a dogs' arse",we need to see it consistently from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Get Fletcher back starting in midfield, United wont be overrun as easily with him in the thick of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Don't fear anyone in the draw however would like to avoid Galatasaray if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Get Fletcher back starting in midfield, United wont be overrun as easily with him in the thick of it.

our problems in CM are more about ball retention, tempo and creativity, as opposed to being over run.

anytime we get overrun, its more down to tactics (being outnumbered in there) as opposed to ability. very few teams totally dominated us this season so far, we have just been tactically clueless and s*it in the middle when it comes to going forward.

look at the Chelsea and Liverpool games for example - loads of possession, but created absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Right lads, who do we want in this CL draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

MD1990 wrote: »
    lol
    he is also missing techique & finishing 2 of the most important things for a striker

Rubbish , he hasn't got as many goals last season as he would have hoped but he was playing all over the place last season, his natural position is a striker.

Welbeck has very good control and is a good finisher he has scored some great goals at times, chips , places his shots it just hasn't been coming off for him and he hasn't got himself in the right positions but if he does start playing regularly like he did yesturday he'll be a great asset to have.

It's easy to say that he has poor composure or can't finish but I don't think that's really the case , it takes a lot of composure to make some of the finishes I've seen him make when he is scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Rubbish , he hasn't got as many goals last season as he would have hoped but he was playing all over the place last season, his natural position is a striker.

Welbeck has very good control and is a good finisher he has scored some great goals at times, chips , places his shots it just hasn't been coming off for him and he hasn't got himself in the right positions but if he does start playing regularly like he did yesturday he'll be a great asset to have.

It's easy to say that he has poor composure or can't finish but I don't think that's really the case , it takes a lot of composure to make some of the finishes I've seen him make when he is scoring.

Sorry but this is just wrong he is a poor finisher. Scoring some great goals doesn't take away the fact he is a bad finisher. His all round game is very good and he actually manages to get in on goal often because of his movement. But he misses too many easy chances but hopefully he can improve on this. I like him as a player he is a good squad option and if his finishing improves could be an important player in the future.

not really sure who id rather here to be honest, all around a similar level i suppose.
    Unseeded teams: AC Milan, Galatasaray, Olympiakos, Schalke, Zenit St Petersburg

hopefully Arsenal and City get 2 from Bayern, Madrid and Barcelona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

MagicIRL wrote: »

Probably Schalke, though I think we could beat any of the teams we might get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Sorry but this is just wrong he is a poor finisher. Scoring some great goals doesn't take away the fact he is a bad finisher. His all round game is very good and he actually manages to get in on goal often because of his movement. But he misses too many easy chances but hopefully he can improve on this. I like him as a player he is a good squad option and if his finishing improves could be an important player in the future.

I Agree he's a good finisher of the ball, can't remember who said it yesterday but when he gets on the end of crosses and in the box he's dangerous but when he has time to think about what to do with the ball he usually finds row Z.

That would point to him not being composed as opposed to not being a good finisher.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It's hilarious. A friend who swore he was done with Liverpool and the Premier Oil Money League in August (a 38-year old) is now back on Facebook about how well "we" are doing and how well "we" are ripping defences apart.

Puke-inducing.

Great result at the weekend. I never look forward to playing Villa away - it's such a tough place to visit. I thought we played some great football.

And Darren Fletcher - welcome back, you legend!

not really sure who id rather here to be honest, all around a similar level i suppose.

hopefully Arsenal and City get 2 from Bayern, Madrid and Barcelona.

Olympiakos surely is the easiest draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Olympiacos, please.

I'd like to avoid AC Milan and Galatasaray. AC Milan are doing horrendously badly in Serie A, but it was the same least season. In the second half of last season, they were excellent. I'd prefer us to avoid Galatasaray and their "welcome party" and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I never look forward to playing Villa away - it's such a tough place to visit. I thought we played some great football.

Completely the opposite. Our results at Villa Park have been unbelievable through the years, including some really good comeback wins.

lolol AVB gone from Spurs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

lolol AVB gone from Spurs

The answer to "Who is available if we sack Moyes" is answered :P

HAHA

City vs Barca. Brilliant.

Olympiakos for us.

Olympiakos surely is the easiest draw?
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

• Advertisement

hi ho, hi ho, its off the Greece we go.

decent draw.

Bayern and Arsenal, City and Barca, Gala and Chelsea and United vs Olympakios.

Think we got the easiest of the matches there. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

v3ttel wrote: »
    Olympiacos, please.

I'd like to avoid AC Milan and Galatasaray. AC Milan are doing horrendously badly in Serie A, but it was the same least season. In the second half of last season, they were excellent. I'd prefer us to avoid Galatasaray and their "welcome party" and all that

LOTTO NUMBERS ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I usually prefer big opposition but considering the form Utd are in, they need an Olympakios.

decent draw in the CL.
    possible league cup semi final coming up.
    chance to get to within 3 or 4 points of the top 3 before January (if we get our act together).

things starting to turn in our favour hopefully? 5 wins in the next 5 games can definitely help us to sign some players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

That's a cracking draw. It's a team we haven't played too recently and it should be straightforward enough to get through.

Wenger and Pellegrini pay the price for their mistakes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Happy with that draw. Hopefully we will take advantage of it and our position in the cups. Get some confidence for the league and a good run of results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Anyone know the date we're playing the second leg? Might book a flight while its cheap

decent draw in the CL.
    possible league cup semi final coming up.
    chance to get to within 3 or 4 points of the top 3 before January (if we get our act together).

things starting to turn in our favour hopefully? 5 wins in the next 5 games can definitely help us to sign some players.

West Ham, Hull, Norwich are must wins. You would think we would beat Spurs given their incredibly poor form, but if they did get in a new manager before we played them (Jan 1st) it could give them an odd boost. Swansea is a must win as well, awful form in the league, beat them on the opening day.

I'll be sorely disappointed if we get anything but wins from them games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Chagan wrote: »
    That's a cracking draw. It's a team we haven't played too recently and it should be straightforward enough to get through.

Wenger and Pellegrini pay the price for their mistakes :)

You are underestimating Olympiakos if you think it will be straightforward. I'm sure they are also happy with the draw! They dominated against Benfica away and should have won and beat them at home. They are also a side that will be hugely confident as they are unbeaten in the league winning 14 of their 15 games. It looks a great draw on paper but no way will it be straightforward, Olympiakos are a very decent team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Good news, good CL draw.
    Bad news, AVB sacked.

just one thing to add, the minimum performances expected from Moyes this year (according to the commitment to the financial results/sponsors) is the following -

1/4 final of league cup - already achieved.
    1/4 final of CL - great chance now.
    1/4 final of FA Cup - not yet started.
    3rd place in the league - big challenge to achieve this, highly likely it wont happen.

3rd place in the league is the key however, as CL qualification depends on it. i am sure 4th place would be acceptable, IF a cup semi place was achieved.

would people be happy if our season saw us come 4th but winning nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Looking forward to welcoming back Roy Carroll

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

just one thing to add, the minimum performances expected from Moyes this year (according to the commitment to the financial results/sponsors) is the following -

1/4 final of league cup - already achieved.
    1/4 final of CL - great chance now.
    1/4 final of FA Cup - not yet started.
    3rd place in the league - big challenge to achieve this, highly likely it wont happen.

3rd place in the league is the key however, as CL qualification depends on it. i am sure 4th place would be acceptable, IF a cup semi place was achieved.

would people be happy if our season saw us come 4th but winning nothing?

I would as long as the team starts playing better football and some players are let go and replaced by better ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

iDave wrote: »
    Looking forward to welcoming back Roy Carroll

He doesn't get in the squad.

I would as long as the team starts playing better football and some players are let go and replaced by better ones

This.

It's all well and good looking at the competitions we're still in but our performances still, for the most part, haven't reached a level much above average for 5 months now.

Provided we do improve soon, players coming back from injury, a new signing or two in January and I think we can make a real go of every competition we're in.

Woke up expecting to watch the CL draw at 1 and it's already been on?? That's a first

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Johner wrote: »
    He doesn't get in the squad.

Stop ruining the craic with your facts :P

That draw couldn't have gone better for us, provided we beat them we don't have to worry about facing one of the bigger teams until late March and I'd hope by that time we'll have some form and players playing well.

Aguero out for a month, which is not good news for City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Do we know who we are playing in the QF? Or is that another draw for that.

Was before.

Aguero out for a month, which is not good news for City.

Everything is falling nicely into place for Liverpool this season.

Watched them the last 2 weeks and impressive stuff. Chance after chance. Should have scored 10 yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭paulbok

Do we know who we are playing in the QF? Or is that another draw for that.

Was before.

Think it's the QF & Sf that are drawn at the same time in previous years.

Watched them the last 2 weeks and impressive stuff. Chance after chance. Should have scored 10 yesterday.

In fairness,the way Spurs defended,Father Ted's over 70's team would have scored against them yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

well the games against chelsea and city will be big tests. also would not be shocked if more than a few teams test their resolve to keep suarez. a striker in unreal form not cup tied in europe. can see Chelsea,madrid and maybe even arsenal going in with big offers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

What is Fletchers actual state at the moment, i.e. is he playing through it or has he some resolution to the problem? He got a decent amount of time yesterday which suggest Moyes has plans for him.

Great to see him back but scary how strange it was to see him playing again. It's as if I associate him with a different team / generation of United.

Also, great draw, glad Moyes got some luck fixture wise after the start to the prem.

• Advertisement

I am really looking forward to Stoke on Wednesday. A break away from the league is welcome.

Who deserves a start.

Chico and Kagawa should start?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

What is Fletchers actual state at the moment, i.e. is he playing through it or has he some resolution to the problem? He got a decent amount of time yesterday which suggest Moyes has plans for him.

Great to see him back but scary how strange it was to see him playing again. It's as if I associate him with a different team / generation of United.

Also, great draw, glad Moyes got some luck fixture wise after the start to the prem.

he will never likely get fully over it but think he has the right mix now that he is healthy again. hopefully it continues. not only is his battling something that could inspire others around him but always remember hearing he is a good character in the dressing room and hopefully that helps too

I am really looking forward to Stoke on Wednesday. A break away from the league is welcome.

Who deserves a start.

Chico and Kagawa should start?

with so many injuries at the moment, its really hard to tell.

would assume pretty much the same team as the last day anyway, with Buttner and fletcher coming in and perhaps nani too.

Fabio at RB would be nice, though Rafael needs game time.

These 4 would do in January.

article-2524562-1A23CACD00000578-245_636x477.jpg

I'll take 2.;)

We have no hope if getting 2 of those, slim chance of 1 and maybe a glimmer of hope of the other.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement