Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Players develop at different ages. I also believe that some players respond well to moving up to the seniors and their growth can be stunted if they stay in the youths too long.

By all accounts, Beckham and Scholes didn't look like world beaters beside the likes of Nicky Butt and Ben Thornley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I also sturdiest that some players respond well to moving up to the seniors wobbly

You high?

You high?

Haha. Getting used to a new phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Players develop at different ages. I also believe that some players respond well to moving up to the seniors and their growth can be stunted if they stay in the youths too long.

By all accounts, Beckham and Scholes didn't look like world beaters beside the likes of Nicky Butt and Ben Thornley.

Nicky Butt was unreal at underage level

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

kryogen wrote: »
    Januzaj wasn't spectacular for the under 21's, he was a solid player, always looked good but not spectacular. His development the last year or 18 months has been phenomenal really though I still think he is being hyped a little too much out of our desperation to find a shining light

If United were top of the league I am confident the hype around Januzaj would still exist. Young players always get hyped up, especially at United. His performances so far are worthy of it.

• Advertisement

Nicky Butt was unreal at underage level

Exactly. So was Ben Thornley. Yet Becks, Neville and Scholes were better at senior level. As in, up there with the best in their respective positions.

I wouldn't use Januzaj's form at youth level as any kind of gauge. My only worry with him is that he's missing a half yard of explosive pace. Only the truly great can get away with that on the wings.

Exactly. So was Ben Thornley. Yet Becks, Neville and Scholes were better at senior level. As in, up there with the best in their respective positions.

I wouldn't use Januzaj's form at youth level as any kind of gauge. My only worry with him is that he's missing a half yard of explosive pace. Only the truly great can get away with that on the wings.

Januzaj isn't a winger or really going to be a wide player, he is playing wide to get games but will play centrally as he gets older/experienced

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Januzaj isn't a winger or really going to be a wide player, he is playing wide to get games but will play centrally as he gets older/experienced

Yep, I see him moving infield in a couple of years. Fierce competition in that position though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

we need world class players, not lads who cant get in the spurs team.

Outline realistic world class players that we could sign

If United were top of the league I am confident the hype around Januzaj would still exist. Young players always get hyped up, especially at United. His performances so far are worthy of it.

You cant be serious?

His performances so far have been good but nowhere near the level of hype he is given!

I am sure you are right though, young players do always get over hyped if they show a bit of promise. Comes with the territory I guess

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

James Wilson, cracking young player who has been tearing it up this season underage just scored another brilliant brillant goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Haha. Getting used to a new phone.

wtf? you only got a new phone! another one?

Butt is kinda the forgotten man at senior level isn't he?

He was still a brilliant player, could do everything. He was unfortunate that he came up against Keane really for a place in the team. Its hard to compare him to Neville, Becks or even Scholes since they all played different positions to him

Scholes was always brilliant too just for the record, Gary Nev was alright, nothing special, Phil was far more talented, always.

lordgoat wrote: »
    James Wilson, cracking young player who has been tearing it up this season underage just scored another brilliant brillant goal.

I like him, he declares for Ireland in one of my FM saves, and signed for me at Rotherham :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

lordgoat wrote: »

Was just coming on to post that . Was a cracker, didn't see the other goal but by the sounds of it that was a cracker as well. United lucky to be winning ?

You cant be serious?

His performances so far have been good but nowhere near the level of hype he is given!

I am sure you are right though, young players do always get over hyped if they show a bit of promise. Comes with the territory I guess

Yes I am serious. His potential is worthy of hype, in the sense of what he could be. Masses of potential.

Hype to the level that he is a sure thing would be going too far IMO but based on the expectations put on players of the past at United I have no issues with him getting a lot of attention and hopes up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I like him, he declares for Ireland in one of my FM saves, and signed for me at Rotherham :)

http://manutdgifs.com/gif-manchester-uniteds-james-wilson-wonderful-solo-goal-burnley/

An heir for Robbie ?

Yikes, only a gif but he looks to have lots of pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Usain Bolt pace

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I just watched "The Class of 92" there as well and I absolutely loved it. As a child of the 90's it reminded my why I fell in love with United and how special a time it was. I wish I had more coherent memories of that era than I actually do as we're unlikely to see the like of it again sadly. It truly is one of the greatest stories of any era.

Patience, trust, perseverance and a sprinkling of something just a little special :)

• Advertisement

wtf? you only got a new phone! another one?

Same as that one but doing that bendy text thing. Where you can drag your finger across the screen. Quicker but results in bizarre sentences every so often when I've no time to proof read. Still not used to it.

Yes I am serious. His potential is worthy of hype, in the sense of what he could be. Masses of potential.

Hype to the level that he is a sure thing would be going too far IMO but based on the expectations put on players of the past at United I have no issues with him getting a lot of attention and hopes up.

You didn't say his potential was worth the hype, you said his performances had been.

They really haven't.

He has plenty of potential for sure, but his performances have been over hyped big time, he got nominated for bbc young personality of the year for Christ sake :)

As things stand his performance against Sunderland got little over hyped.

He has the potential. Lacks a burst of pace for a winger we require.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I just watched "The Class of 92" there as well and I absolutely loved it. As a child of the 90's it reminded my why I fell in love with United and how special a time it was. I wish I had more coherent memories of that era than I actually do as we're unlikely to see the like of it again sadly. It truly is one of the greatest stories of any era.

Patience, trust, perseverance and a sprinkling of something just a little special :)

Never turn your back when Scholes is around :D

As things stand his performance against Sunderland got little over hyped.

He isn't a winger at all though, he is playing wide and I think he could play as an inside forward no problems but his position is and always looked like it would be a number 10. He has the craft rather then the electric pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Remember when Dodo was linked with us and the deal became extinct? I do enjoy watching him play for Roma at the moment

Also how good is strootman, a class act

Headshot wrote: »
    Remember when Dodo was linked with us and the deal became extinct? I do enjoy watching him play for Roma at the moment

Also how good is strootman, a class act

Strootman is one that really bugs me if true Moyes just pulled the deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Strootman is one that really bugs me if true Moyes just pulled the deal

If you believe the news papers, we are linked with him again

I would laugh if utd bought him and paid way over the PSV price

You didn't say his potential was worth the hype, you said his performances had been.

They really haven't.

He has plenty of potential for sure, but his performances have been over hyped big time, he got nominated for bbc young personality of the year for Christ sake :)

His performances were how he displayed his potential. So to me they have.

Not sure why he was nominated for that award, it was mad, but I'm not sure its relevant, I thought we were talking about United fans views on him rather than general views.

• Advertisement

He isn't a winger at all though, he is playing wide and I think he could play as an inside forward no problems but his position is and always looked like it would be a number 10. He has the craft rather then the electric pace

My wording could have better there. Yes I know he aint a winger.

I meant that he bit unlucky to be playing there with options we have.

Was I the only one who laughed at the "We are staying up" chant at Villa Park yesterday?

A simple one maybe, but funny all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

The whole debate over whether a new midfielder is good enough for us or not is laughable. If someone improves our team, buy them. If someone else comes along who will improve it further, buy them too.

We're realistically not gonna be able to find/sign 5/6 "world class" players so improving the team with a few guys who improve upon what's already there along with hopefully one or two world class signings is what's required. Obviously the pipe dream is we sign 11 world class guys but that's not how real life works. Unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Reus and Barkley are fairly realistic I think but not until the summer, but we'd be buying out Reus' contract for 29million and Barkley would cost 20-25m depending on how he does in the world cup. Cabaye is another option but Barkley looks a serious prospect. Luke Shaw or Leighton Baines to replace Evra but I'm fairly certain Everton will not sell us Baines, Fellaini and Barkley

Reus wont be leaving Dortmund

Reus wont be leaving Dortmund
    He has a buy out clause, Dortmund can't stop him

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    He has a buy out clause, Dortmund can't stop him

I didn't say Dortmund wont sell him, I said he wont be leaving.

He can say no if the buy out clause is matched.

I am willing to bet he will be going nowhere, not to United or anyone any time soon. Dortmund are his home town club, as long as they are competitive he will stay there imo

Just in case there are people out there who don't know, Reus is from Dortmund, even when he left the youths to get regular football and eventually joined Gladbach he was often at Dortmund games, he went home as often as he could, and when apparently given the option of joining Bayern or returning to Dortmund he choose Dortmund saying, "it was the best place for me, and Im coming home"

Id love to see him at United, but I wouldn't put a cent on it for the foreseeable future

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It always amazes me how many people think that just cause a player has a release clause, he will automatically want to come to us if we pay it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It always amazes me how many people think that just cause a player has a release clause, he will automatically want to come to us if we pay it....

Aye, unless we're paying them a lot of money, I can't blame any excellent player for not coming to us atm, let alone someone like Reus, who any club in the world would want and is already at his dream club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I get what you are trying to say but at the same time, is it really a requirement to play RM or LM? David Beckham never had a lightening burst of pace on our right. I don't think Adnan is ever going to be a traditional winger in the sense that you are thinking about/saying we require, but does he have to be?

He could be a wide midfielder, or wide playmaker, etc rather than an out and out winger. Having said all that I wouldn't class him as slow either, but probably not lightening either. Obviously we are fairly well stocked at #10 at the moment which will probably be his long term position.

On a different note, this new Januzaj chant is fairly epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Reus and Barkley are fairly realistic I think but not until the summer, but we'd be buying out Reus' contract for 29million and Barkley would cost 20-25m depending on how he does in the world cup. Cabaye is another option but Barkley looks a serious prospect. Luke Shaw or Leighton Baines to replace Evra but I'm fairly certain Everton will not sell us Baines, Fellaini and Barkley

why would we buy Barkley?Rooney,Kagawa and Adnan all play a similar role.
    imo LB,CM,winger are the positions most needing investment in January/summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Anyone one think fellaini could be part of a swap deal to get baines? Would be unusual but good for united :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

case885 wrote: »
    Anyone one think fellaini could be part of a swap deal to get baines? Would be unusual but good for united :D

Out of interest why do you really think baines represents good value?

Edit: i should of said why is he worth buying and at what price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

racso1975 wrote: »
    Out of interest why do you really think baines represents good value?

Edit: i should of said why is he worth buying and at what price?

Evra seems to be in serious decline and Baines offers a lot

1346839458-auto-dafuq-dafuq-did-i-just-read-200165.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

1346839458-auto-dafuq-dafuq-did-i-just-read-200165.jpeg

It was a joke. But fellaini is pretty average at best, baines would be a good purchase and then buy a quality central midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

It was a joke. But fellaini is pretty average at best, baines would be a good purchase and then buy a quality central midfielder.

I'd prefer Shaw, right now the outstanding leftback in the league and 10 years younger than Baines. Only issue is he may be a Chelsea fan.

Fellaini is certainly better then average

Baines would be a good purchase, just not for the money required, would we not be better off just playing Fabio there, if he was left footed this wouldn't be an issue at all I feel due to Moyes crossing tactics

Spending 15+million on Baines at the age of 29 or whatever he is does not represent good value at all to me. Last time I checked, last week, no other player in the league had created more chances then Evra so surely its not going forward that is the problem. Fabio could be developed to be as good defensively, if not better, then his brother. He is naturally good going forward and is already at the club. No excuse not to be at least giving him a shot before going out and buying a short term band aid for a problem.

beno619 wrote: »
    I'd prefer Shaw, right now the outstanding leftback in the league and 10 years younger than Baines. Only issue is he may be a Chelsea fan.

I reckon he is a done deal to Chelsea to replace Cole

I never meant it that way, but with Lewandowski leaving in the summer and Gundogen strongly linked with Madrid, maybe Reus might not be convinced by Dortmunds ambition!

yabadabado wrote: »
    why would we buy Barkley?Rooney,Kagawa and Adnan all play a similar role.
    imo LB,CM,winger are the positions most needing investment in January/summer.
    Barkley can play CM? he's as good as any midfielder in england atm

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement