Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Barkley can play CM? he's as good as any midfielder in england atm

Barkley has free reign in a 3 man midfield. Dont hoe effective he would be in 2. Still better than anything we have

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

lordgoat wrote: »

Can't remember when I enjoyed watching a goal as much as that one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Stumbled across this earlier. Was some rout! even against a shadow Arsenal team..the team that started that day are all still at the club..just goes to show how little the squad has changed in since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Conbhar wrote: »
    Can't remember when I enjoyed watching a goal as much as that one :)

This James Wilson is shaping up to be some player, have been hearing about him since he was about 15, scoring goals for fun..we really have some great strikers coming through..Him, Henriquez, Will keane if he get back that predatory instinct pre his injury and Bruno Gomes could still be a possibility despite his signing for Internacional.

TBF to Moyes he's not one for holding talent back so if James' continues at the rate he has been going he could be in the first team squad next season..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

kryogen wrote: »
    Last time I checked, last week, no other player in the league had created more chances then Evra so surely its not going forward that is the problem.

If that is true then we can once and for all write that stat off as worthless. Evra gets played into good attacking positions very frequently in Moyes' system and his end product is consistently rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Pro. F wrote: »
    If that is true then we can once and for all write that stat off as worthless. Evra gets played into good attacking positions very frequently in Moyes' system and his end product is consistently rubbish.

Depends what it is based on then it must mean attempting a cross because their is no way it means actually creating a goalscoring chance. Because Evra is just awful with his final delivery. Baines is a far better crosser of the ball he would be a big upgrade on Evra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

macslash wrote: »

Stumbled across this earlier. Was some rout! even against a shadow Arsenal team..the team that started that day are all still at the club..just goes to show how little the squad has changed in since then.

Its a shame Young has declined so dramatically, when was the last time he attempted to take a shot on his right foot.

Its unpopular to say but I would really love to see Ando get a run in the team, World cup year and all :L

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

macslash wrote: »

Commentator for Nani's goal "That's how good they are"

Also Big Dave looks like a child compared to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Anyone know how Park is doing at PSV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

God I'd love to see United play like that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

God I'd love to see United play like that again.

This weekend would be lovely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

beno619 wrote: »
    Its a shame Young has declined so dramatically, when was the last time he attempted to take a shot on his right foot.
    L

he has attempted plenty, just missed them all (Donetsk recent example).

i think i am correct in saying that he has not scored since May 2012, 19 months ago :(

shocking stats for an attacking player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

he has attempted plenty, just missed them all (Donetsk recent example).

i think i am correct in saying that he has not scored since May 2012, 19 months ago :(

shocking stats for an attacking player.

No just a shocking player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

In all fairness he was very important in his first year and would probably blame injury on his dip in form. His diving antics have ruined any chance of a future at United. Shame as things started so well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

If AVB was deservedly(?) sacked for poor results/performances and Spurs are still 2 points ahead of ManU after 16 games, should this make David Moyes nervous??

Will the board give him big money to spend in this window?
    If they don't, does this mean that the board are prepared to write off the season and sack Moyes in May if he doesn't make the Champions League??

Thus giving more money for his successor to spend in the summer??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

If AVB was deservedly(?) sacked for poor results/performances and Spurs are still 2 points ahead of ManU after 16 games, should this make David Moyes nervous??

If they don't, does this mean that the board are prepared to write off the season and sack Moyes in May if he doesn't make the Champions League??

our board are not trigger happy. avb had the best win rate of any manager of spurs since the late 80s should never have been sacked its the problem with the modern football

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Yes, we should look to how Spurs do things

Personally I think it's laughable that AVB was sacked and wouldn't be using it to form any reasonable comparisons. Harry should never have been sacked for that matter. The Spurs board are crackers and I don't know what they are expecting to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Different situation to be honest. Firstly, Moyes was selected by Sir Alex and I don't think he would be happy to see him sacked within a year. Secondly, Spurs spent, what, close to 100million in the transfer window? It was clear that they were expecting results. Whether those players fit into AVB's plans is another thing altogether. Finally, United have to be aware that the squad is not good enough at the moment and needs an overhaul. Moyes will at least be given a chance to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

KH25 wrote: »
    Different situation to be honest. Firstly, Moyes was selected by Sir Alex and I don't think he would be happy to see him sacked within a year. Secondly, Spurs spent, what, close to 100 million in the transfer window? It was clear that they were expecting results. Whether those players fit into AVB's plans is another thing altogether. Finally, United have to be aware that the squad is not good enough at the moment and needs an overhaul. Moyes will at least be given a chance to do so.

They didn't pull 100 mill out of their arse pockets to upgrade the squad, they just reinvested the money they got from selling Bale. I'd imagine their net spend was very very low.

AVB might as well have been managing a new club this season with the amount of change that's happened there over the summer. It was a shocking decision to sack him.

You can't be guaranteed new players, especially ones that have moved country are going to hit the ground running. AVB should have been given until the end of the season at least. I hope he got a decent payout from Spurs and goes to club that will give him more of a chance.

• Advertisement

AVB shouldnt have been sacked though it appears there were other issues going on behind the scenes so perhaps its not all about results.

Moyes wont be sacked though had he been sacked after the newcastle game, he couldnt have had any complaints. i think it was always clear however and still is, he will be given alot of time. missing out on the top 4 however, would change things perhaps.

Moyes is under pressure, but a win tomorrow and Saturday, followed by a good christmas and he is off the hook some what.

i think deep down however, he knows he has the backing of the fans and the board and this is something that some other clubs dont afford to their managers.

Personally I think it's laughable that AVB was sacked and wouldn't be using it to form any reasonable comparisons. Harry should never have been sacked for that matter. The Spurs board are crackers and I don't know what they are expecting to be honest.

The Harry decision was taken out of their hands when he publicly courted the England job with Spurs league form directly affected as a result. Agree with you about AVB though and by extension with keeping faith with Moyes. The upheaval and changes should be taken into account and boards should adjust their expectations accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Spurs made a huge mistake in not giving him time after selling his 2 best players 2 years in a row and expecting equal or better results with inferior players.

Spending close to 100 million in the summer he should have been given at least the end of the season, Spurs arent in a bad spot, theyre still in the Europa league and would be one of the favourties even with rotation, they'll be pushing for top 4 come the last few weeks, what more did Levy want?

If reports are true and Levy rejected many of AVB's transfer targets then surely Levy should have fell on the same axe AVB did as hes partly to blame for the incoming and outgoing of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Levy and AVB are the downfall of Spurs. I doubt AVB had any input on what players he wanted in the summer and Levy leaving the sale of Bale to the last minute was pure stupid. But it doesnt give AVB a free pass. That high defensive line tactic was awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Headshot wrote: »
    Levy and AVB are the downfall of Spurs. I doubt AVB had any input on what players he wanted in the summer and Levy leaving the sale of Bale to the last minute was pure stupid. But it doesnt give AVB a free pass. That high defensive line tactic was awful.

This, in spades.

He should have seen after it failed with chelsea it was pretty much a non runner in the EPL given how quick the dynamics of the game moves at this level, unless of course you have a gifted squad that understands it perfectly and have pace throughout the backline its on a road to failure from the get go and being to stubborn to rectify it didnt help his cause, neither does shipping 11 goals in 2 games to 2 direct rivals for the top 4 without putting up as much of a whimper of a challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I bet AVB is that guy you play in FIFA who always uses that bastard offside trap.

They didn't pull 100 mill out of their arse pockets to upgrade the squad, they just reinvested the money they got from selling Bale. I'd imagine their net spend was very very low.

AVB might as well have been managing a new club this season with the amount of change that's happened there over the summer. It was a shocking decision to sack him.

You can't be guaranteed new players, especially ones that have moved country are going to hit the ground running. AVB should have been given until the end of the season at least. I hope he got a decent payout from Spurs and goes to club that will give him more of a chance.

You're right, I was just saying its a different situation to Moyes at United. I don't think AVB should have been sacked, but I can see why Spurs did it. He didn't help himself though by playing a high line and by generally sticking with 1 striker even when the team was losing.

Keno wrote: »
    I bet AVB is that guy you play in FIFA who always uses that bastard offside trap.

He probably never plays FIFA, he strikes me as a strictly Football Manager type of guy.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Spurs arent in a bad spot, theyre still in the Europa league

this has been a cruse for them. i make it they have dropped 14 points on the Sunday immediately after their Thursday games so far (and indeed 3 of the points they did pick up was a 1-0 home win against Swansea, who also played that Thursday)...thats quite telling.

Swansea for some reason, have actually managed a bit better, though i think in fairness to Spurs they had a couple of more difficult games (Liverpool, united and Newcastle from what i remember. Wigan have fared much better also in the Championship and have actually only dropped 5 points from thursday night hangovers.

finishing 5th can be a poisoned chalice (or in the places below that also depending on who win the cups). from going so close last year, to being stuck in the europa league, it has to have some psychological effect on the players and it has for sure, been a complete hindrance on Spurs this season.

Newcastle and Liverpool struggled big time with it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Thought this was hilarious, turns out Fletch hates Young too :pac: (Sorry if already posted.)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=383007411844797

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I had to check if I was in the United thread. Jesus lads, take your Spurs chat to the AVB us sacked thread maybe?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I had to check if I was in the United thread. Jesus lads, take your Spurs chat to the AVB us sacked thread maybe?

In fairness, it's quite relevant to United, in terms of a manager who is under-preforming and under a lot of pressure.

Yep, we're basically discussing Moyes by proxy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We've got Spurs again in less than 2 weeks, it'll be interesting to see which way that game goes.

They've been similar to us this season against the top end teams

Chelsea - Utd D / Spurs D
    Everton - Utd L / Spurs D
    Liverpool - Utd L (fairly dominated) / Spurs L (destroyed)
    City - Utd L ( beaten well) / Spurs L (destroyed)
    Arsenal - Utd W / Spurs L

So we've got 4 points and Spurs got 2, and we drew with them when we played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

the moyes out crowd are really clutching at straws with the comparison to AVB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Glenn Hoddle could be back in football management ha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

magnumbud wrote: »

Funny. I find it's the pro-Moyes camp who are doing most of the comparisons :pac:

magnumbud wrote: »

?????? i have not read all posts, but i dont recall seeing anybody using AVB as a means to say we should get rid of Moyes. naturally however, seen as one club has sacked their manager, other managers will come under the spotlight, but i think we all know that Moyes is going nowhere so as i said a few days ago, we are stuck with him and we just have to accept it and hope he gets there eventually.

in fact, i have not seen many posts from the "Moyes out" crowd in a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Reports from Le10 Sport are that Hazard wants out of Chelsea asap,he doesn't like playing under Jose anymore.£32 million is the price being quoted,problem is that PSG want him so I reckon it'll be Paris rather than Manchester that he'll head to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Headshot wrote: »
    That high defensive line tactic was awful.
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    This, in spades.

He should have seen after it failed with chelsea it was pretty much a non runner in the EPL given how quick the dynamics of the game moves at this level

I agree with both of you to a certain extent about the high back line being a bad ideally generally. If you look at the facts though, Spurs have 7 cleansheets this year (one off the most) in 16 games. That's not awful.

IMHO, it was Spurs inability to score a goal that was more his undoing and that's what he should be lambasted for. His defense was generally quite ok (bar the weekend clearly). City away was obviously a disaster also, but put in context, United & Arsenal have already showed how easy it is to concede a truck load at the Eithad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

utd_302x322.jpg

First photoshop of Reus in a United shirt..........it's on:pac:

Wesc. wrote: »
    Thought this was hilarious, turns out Fletch hates Young too :pac: (Sorry if already posted.)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=383007411844797

actually, there are really good mates! when Young was out injured last season, they regularly traveled together to matches and were often seen in the middle of the away fans together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

actually, there are really good mates! when Young was out injured last season, they regularly traveled together to matches and were often seen in the middle of the away fans together.

Yep, the video is cropped so doesn't show Fletch initiating the conversation and they're both complaining about something that hearkened in midfield. Always find it bizarre when people engineer controversy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yep, the video is cropped so doesn't show Fletch initiating the conversation and they're both complaining about something that hearkened in midfield. Always find it bizarre when people engineer controversy
    To give this post a somewhat relevant slant I'm gonna say spot on Phlegmy. Couldn't agree more.

Now to the main thrust of Pighead's post. Have you recently changed your username? For years I've looked on in awe and admiration at what I thought was a magnificent username. I was certain you were called 'PhlegmyNoses'. Now I see it's PhlegmyMoses which to be honest is only half as good as I once thought. Am I losing it or where you PhlegmyNoses before?

Always been PhlegmyMoses. I like United legend Remi Moses. I had a chest infection at the time.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    utd_302x322.jpg

First photoshop of Reus in a United shirt..........it's on:pac:

Suits him :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Always been PleghmyMoses. I like United legend Remi Moses. I had a chest infection at the time.
    Gotcha. I'm still impressed by you. Just not quite as much anymore. As you were.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Always been PleghmyMoses. I like United legend Remi Moses. I had a chest infection at the time.

He left Man Utd in 1989. Unless I have your rough age wrong, wouldn't you have been too young to actually remember Remi Moses play for Utd?

5starpool wrote: »
    He left Man Utd in 1989. Unless I have your rough age wrong, wouldn't you have been too young to actually remember Remi Moses play for Utd?

I would be from a live perspective I suppose. My Dad's favourite player so passed it onto me. My dad wasn't really a United fan either, more a fan of football and he reckoned he was one of the best in England, but for massive injury problems. Maybe my dad was just a prototype footballing hipster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

zerks wrote: »
    Reports from Le10 Sport are that Hazard wants out of Chelsea asap,he doesn't like playing under Jose anymore.£32 million is the price being quoted,problem is that PSG want him so I reckon it'll be Paris rather than Manchester that he'll head to.

Good ol' José cleaning out Chelsea. Hazard, Mata... Lukaku? The list goes on and on!

I think I would rather see Reus or Herrara coming in. Hzarad had his chance and ****ed off to Chelski.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement