Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hazard wont be sold, that article is funnily inaccurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

while Mata would be a great signing, surely Chelsea would not sell to us?

if he is on the for sale list as people keep saying, surely he is back to Spain and Chelsea would probably want somebody in return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No chance. Its not happening.

Next..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mata if he does go will be shipped off abroad, I cant see Chelsea selling to a rival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Ugh. Its gonna be another transfer window with a Rooney - Mata swap deal happeneing every day :( i hate silly season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

RVP could leave according to Duncan Castles
    http://www.oneworldsports.com/stories/robin-van-persie-exploring-options-future

can't really blame him since Moyes's training is destroying his career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

MD1990 wrote: »

Don't know how credible this source is but I can see this happening... If we were to be offered stupid money I would take it for sure..saw €/£38m mention re Barca last week if this is the price we'd be crazy not to take it for a guy coming into his 30's...this is not to say i want us to sell him, the guys a bloody class act..also if Barca do want him we should be looking to
    1) play them at their own game from the summer and drive up the price or
    2) leverage a deal on getting one of Pedro, Cesc or Alexis into the deal

RVP came to work with Fergie..was injury free last season and was the vital cog in the team..Since Moyes has landed he's been back to his injury prone Arsenal days and Rooney is the focus of the team now... It would be hard to blame him if he did want out but we must do everything we can to keep him.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

van Persie won't leave this soon. If he did though it would speak volumes, but I can't see it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

source? are you basing it on anything other than the "overtraining" comments pre-season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

5starpool wrote: »
    van Persie won't leave this soon. If he did though it would speak volumes, but I can't see it happening.

Feck it,we'll swap him for Cavani.

• Advertisement

Can we just keep RVP?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

If Arsenal had a fit RVP they might win the league !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd have nothing against RVP if he left, his reported reason is fair

I'd be using him in an exchange for another top player if he was leaving though, cash is worthless when we can use him as a bargaining tool.

It could be hard to sell him until he cleared up his injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I'd have nothing against RVP if he left, his reported reason is fair

I'd be using him in an exchange for another top player if he was leaving though, cash is worthless when we can use him as a bargaining tool.
    What's his reason to leave?

Who would you think is availible to United if RVP was sold? Lewandowski is 95% going to Munich so I wouldn't consider him available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

RGDATA! wrote: »
    source? are you basing it on anything other than the "overtraining" comments pre-season?
    no its been reported numerous times that Utd are doing way more long endurance running this season
    its worked well for Rooney but it has disrupeted Van Persie's season alot

no its been reported numerous times that Utd are doing way more long endurance running this season
    its worked well for Rooney but it has disrupeted Van Persie's season alot
    crazy if he's making the likes of Vidic Ferdinand RVP doing all this long endurance running, if anything Anderson should be doing 3 times the amount instead! :)

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    What's his reason to leave?

Who would you think is availible to United if RVP was sold? Lewandowski is 95% going to Munich so I wouldn't consider him available.

I think it was that Fergie promised him at least a few years of playing under him. And RVP has stated from the start that one of the main reason he moved was to play for Fergie.

We don't need a striker when we have Rooney, using him to get a midfielder or winger is what I'd do.

I think it was that Fergie promised him at least a few years of playing under him. And RVP has stated from the start that one of the main reason he moved was to play for Fergie.

We don't need a striker when we have Rooney, using him to get a midfielder or winger is what I'd do.
    fu**ed if he got injured though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Would be a bad signal to others players selling one of our best players. Also, would give off an impression that we need to sell to fund new players.

Also, what happens if we sold him,and then Rooney kicked up a fuss in the summer looking to leave again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

titan18 wrote: »
    Would be a bad signal to others players selling one of our best players. Also, would give off an impression that we need to sell to fund new players.

Also, what happens if we sold him,and then Rooney kicked up a fuss in the summer looking to leave again

If anything it would encourage him to stay i would of thought, being top dog again.

titan18 wrote: »

My thoughts too Titan on Rooney. He's done it twice so no reason to believe he wouldn't do it to us again. If it was a choice between him and a fully fit RVP i'd pick RVP. Thats not taking away from Rooney's excellent form this season.

On funding we have money in the bank, or so we are led to believe.. I'm not sure what I make of Moyes claiming that they were close to a major, major deal...he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't say soemthing like that...and who was this major major deal??? Smoke and mirrors me thinks.. but i do believe he has money in his arse pocket and that would only be strengthened if he got the supposed 38m figure for RVP from Barca (which i don't believe as they couldn't afford €20m for a new CB)

I'd be worried if he was ever sold for cash unless it was a Sheikh-ish amount which isn't realistic considering his age, exchange is the only way to go with him IMO.

It's probably all bollöx about him leaving anyway but just what I think about the topic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lads, here's what we do. RVP, Anderson and Young to Barca, and we take Messi. Sorted.

Lads, here's what we do. RVP, Anderson and Young to Barca, and we take Messi. Sorted.

sure didn't we bid for Messi last season...sure we'll pay his release fee and he'll come...and they are getting the good end of the deal..imagine how many penalties Young would get in spain for his diving!!!!

Sure throw in Bebe and it'd be a bargin deal for them ;)

• Advertisement

Just to put it out there I exchanged RVP for Fabregas and Sanchez and won the CL in FIFA 14...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Vidic might have to fight to get back into the team.
    'Nemanja is just about ready to play now,' said Moyes.

'But we have five centre-halves. We can use Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Jonny Evans, Rio Ferdinand and him.

'There is competition for places there and you are going to have to play well to stay in the team.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2525342/David-Moyes-Nemanja-Vidic-going-to-fight-place-Manchester-United-team.html#ixzz2nl4CK2Mn

Breaking news: Olympiacos will not be allowed a full stadium for the United game as punishment for racist behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

From earlier in the Year, claims Falcao has a get out cluase if RM, MU or Chelsea bid for him in January.
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/falcao-has-real-madrid-chelsea-man-utd-clause-monaco-contract-3978778#.UrCrGScuPa8

Hardly true though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Was Moyes taking Arsenal training during RVP's time there too??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Rooney and Kagawa link up much better with each other than rvp does with either of them, as good as rvp was last year I would have prefered if that money was spend on a world class central midfielder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Rooney and Kagawa link up much better with each other than rvp does with either of them, as good as rvp was last year I would have prefered if that money was spend on a world class central midfielder

No way. Glad RVP was signed, no matter what happens. Gave us some great moments last year.

He's also not going to leave and I doubt that Moyes is some sort of amateur when it comes to managing and adapting to players with injury and fitness issues. These kinds of logic leaps are inevitable when a team is struggling.

Right. Its near halfway in the season. Im gonna give a guess on how season will fold from here. Its hard predict the cups as draw can have (big) bearing, but sure give it a go.

Where will we finish in the league? I still think we will get 4th. At start of season I be in despair at the thought, but right now I would happily take it. I still think we will put decent run together and I still think 1-2 of top teams will falter little making us sneak 4th.

Champions League? Im going to say last 8. At best semi Final. I think we will see off Olympiakos. I dont think we will beat them by more than couple of goals though. Could be nervy night at OT, but I think we will be too good over 2 legs.

Signing(s) in January(you can say who you think if you want). I reckon 1

League Cup? Fancy us to beat Stoke tomorrow night, but I think we will be knocked out in Semi when we meet City or Chelsea.

FA Cup? Again much depends on the draw. I reckon we be knocked out before the semi final though.

Overall Thats 4th place and 0 trophies which any other year would be disaster. Maybe not as poor now, but overall it will be still poor season. Hope im wrong, but I be happy with 4th now maybe delighted way things are. Think we be shown up in CL and at least 1 cup. I be shocked if we won 2 cups even domestic double.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Chelsea's striker situation is worse than our CM dilemma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Montroseee wrote: »
    Chelsea's striker situation is worse than our CM dilemma.

Their attacking players will compensate for that somewhat

Imagine if he played Mata

(Imagine if Moyes was manager and he didn't play Mata!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

kryogen wrote: »
    (Imagine if Moyes was manager and he didn't play Mata!!!)

BOARDS MELT DOWN : - 0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

PSG to (apparently) table €40m Pogba bid in January. Due to lost CL revenue Juve may have to sell. Question is, should we be in for Pogba or some of their other MF talent?

http://www.football-italia.net/42928/report-psg-table-%E2%82%AC40m-pogba-bid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Pogba couldn't wait to leave, can't see why he'd want to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

He would be some fool to leave Juve for the likes of PSG and sadly us

Where will we finish in the league? I still think we will get 4th. At start of season I be in despair at the thought, but right now I would happily take it. I still think we will put decent run together and I still think 1-2 of top teams will falter little making us sneak 4th.

We are 10 points off top with some winnable games coming our way. Given that fact and that the top four play each other a lot over the coming weeks and will drop points, I can see us being back in the title race come January.

To maintain a serious threat we would need to sort our form once and all and for other teams to drop theirs, City and Liverpool are worrying me the most. I don't have enough faith in both to happen at the required amount needed for us to get back into it but if we do get back into it in January via good results in the coming games, other results going our way and us making a couple of good signings in January I hold out a little hope and I'm not prepared to write off our title hopes just yet.

It would require the chips of luck to fall very heavily in our favor though. Fingers crossed.

As for the UCL, we have never lost to Olympiakos so I fancy us to make the qtr's and from there anything can happen. A two legged knockout tie against City would be something that should have every football fan salivating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Right. Its near halfway in the season. Im gonna give a guess on how season will fold from here. Its hard predict the cups as draw can have (big) bearing, but sure give it a go.

Champions League? Im going to say last 8. At best semi Final. I think we will see off Olympiakos. I dont think we will beat them by more than couple of goals though. Could be nervy night at OT, but I think we will be too good over 2 legs.

Signing(s) in January(you can say who you think if you want). I reckon 1

League Cup? Fancy us to beat Stoke tomorrow night, but I think we will be knocked out in Semi when we meet City or Chelsea.

FA Cup? Again much depends on the draw. I reckon we be knocked out before the semi final though.

Overall Thats 4th place and 0 trophies which any other year would be disaster. Maybe not as poor now, but overall it will be still poor season. Hope im wrong, but I be happy with 4th now maybe delighted way things are. Think we be shown up in CL and at least 1 cup. I be shocked if we won 2 cups even domestic double.

Here's my own miserable take on it...

Where will we finish in the league? 6th/7th. I'm not letting the weekend's decent performance go to my head. Villa are useless. We've been useless all season bar bar a very small handful of games.

Champions League? Quarters. One of the big sides will dismantle us, it won't be pretty.

Signing(s) in January? Osman on a 6 month loan.

League Cup? Semis, maybe.

FA Cup? Hard to know, could get a handy draw. I'll continue the pessimism and say quarters.

Overall: From Champions to upper mid-table in one season. Possibly in the Europa League and an exodus of players.

But on the bright side, Moyes will be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ill give it a quick blast

Where will we finish in the league? 3rd behind City and Chelsea

Champions League? Depending on the draw we might make the semi's but I would think the quarters would be a good bet

Signing(s) in January? None, or at least nothing inspiring.

League Cup? Semi Final
    FA Cup? Quarter final
    Overall: About par for his first season I would have thought, a taste of silverware albeit the Charity Shield, reaching the knock outs of the CL, decent if disappointing cup runs and a top 3 finish in a competitive league. As long as he builds upon it I will be happy enough, by build on it I mean, the style of play improves, some dead wood is cleared and some quality is brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Where will we finish in the league?
    I'm hopeful of fourth, which in itself is a sorry statement. City and Chelsea at least will definitely finish above us I reckon.
    I'm convinced that the poor form of some of our players will improve, and couple that with possible improvement(s) in January, and we should see results improve.

Champions League Should really be taking care of Olympiakos, and a lot will depend on the QF draw then. But if results go as expected in the other games, it's be hard to see us progressing past that stage then.

Signing(s) in JanuaryI would not be surprised to be hugely underwhelmed with maybe only one coming in.

League Cup Will beat stoke. After that who knows.

FA CupHave to be looking at beating Swansea, and after that a decent draw could see us go a long way, or could get a stinker, and be out in round 4.

Overall
    4th place in the league is a must. An absolute must.
    And tbh either of the two domestic cups would be a huge bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Wes Brown is playing an absolute beast of a game for Sunderland against Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

J. Marston wrote: »

Where will we finish in the league? 6th/7th. I'm not letting the weekend's decent performance go to my head. Villa are useless. We've been useless all season bar bar a very small handful of games.

Champions League? Quarters. One of the big sides will dismantle us, it won't be pretty.

FA Cup? Hard to know, could get a handy draw. I'll continue the pessimism and say quarters.

Overall: From Champions to upper mid-table in one season. Possibly in the Europa League and an exodus of players.

I can tell you're a glass half-full kinda guy! :P

Where will we finish in the league? Top 4, though I think it could be a photo-finish for it. To me, the league's City's to lose - Pellegrini seems to have instilled stability and confidence in their squad again, whereas the opposite has occurred at Old Trafford. I do think though that 'Pool and Arsenal won't last the pace and we'll snag 4th.

Champions League? Quarters here. I don't think Olympiakos will turn us over, but I do think a Munich or Real could slap the arse off United. However, if United landed Atletico or A.C then the semis could be a possibility.

Signing(s) in January? This is where I'm not confident. I think we're a month away from hearing "Darren Fletcher's like a new signing!" It wouldn't surprise me if Scholesy was resurrected again :P

League Cup? Finalists.

FA Cup? The crystal ball begins to blur here...come back to me after the draw! :pac:

Overall: Horrible season so far, but once injuries clear up and a rhythm is found then I think United will finish strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

J. Marston wrote: »

Nice and optimistic then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Where will we finish in the league? It's hard to say. As long as City keep playing the way they are now they will be champions, and Chelsea will be a clear second. Then it's a battle between ourselves, Liverpool and Arsenal. I think if Arsenal beat Chelsea this weekend we won't have a hope of catching them. So it will be between us and Liverpool and I just fancy our lads to take it. But just

Champions League? Quarters. Should dispatch of Olympiackos easily enough. Again, Bayern, Barca or Madrid will spank us, Man City would be a great tie. But if we got Arsenal, Chelsea, AC Milan or Athletico Madrid a semi is most certainly possible

Signing(s) in January? Not optimistic at all here. None

League Cup? I'd say Finalists. Again, a draw against Man City would be the only one that would worry me (would also be great) but I think we can take the other three. Also, if City were to lose in the semis then I'd pick us to win

FA Cup? Depends on the draw, could be semis, could be the 4th round.

Overall: 4th and hopefully a decent run in each competition will paper over what will be a dismal year for the club by our standards. Moyes will survive but will have to buy once the window opens. None of this dragged out bargain-hunting crap again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm fairly convinced that United will get 4th, but it's a good thing City and Arsenal have had such tough draws in the CL, because imagine how we would feel if United finished 4th and an English team won the CL! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Where will we finish in the league? It's hard to say. As long as City keep playing the way they are now they will be champions, and Chelsea will be a clear second. Then it's a battle between ourselves, Liverpool and Arsenal. I think if Arsenal beat Chelsea this weekend we won't have a hope of catching them. So it will be between us and Liverpool and I just fancy our lads to take it. But just

Champions League? Quarters. Should dispatch of Olympiackos easily enough. Again, Bayern, Barca or Madrid will spank us, Man City would be a great tie. But if we got Arsenal, Chelsea, AC Milan or Athletico Madrid a semi is most certainly possible

Signing(s) in January? Not optimistic at all here. None

League Cup? I'd say Finalists. Again, a draw against Man City would be the only one that would worry me (would also be great) but I think we can take the other three. Also, if City were to lose in the semis then I'd pick us to win

FA Cup? Depends on the draw, could be semis, could be the 4th round.

Overall: 4th and hopefully a decent run in each competition will paper over what will be a dismal year for the club by our standards. Moyes will survive but will have to buy once the window opens. None of this dragged out bargain-hunting crap again.

I agree with the majority of this apart from the signings. I think there will be 2 or 3 myself. 1 or 2 mids and a left back. A left back is a must imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Where will we finish in the league? 4th - 6th. Think City, Chelsea and Arsenal are going to be fighting for the top 3 spots, and we're going to be in a battle with Spurs and Pool for 4th, with Everton and Newcastle sticking round there as well.

Champions League? Probably QF. If we get a big team (which is inevitable at that stage), think they'll rip us apart.

Signing(s) in January? A squad player or two. I think recent comments saying "No panic buys" is bracing people for a quiet window.

League Cup? Semis, and then City or Chelsea to dismantle us.

Overall: Disappointing year, possibly missing even drastically lowered expectations.

No faith in Moyes anymore to actually change things that need to be changed, or at the very least, change them in a way that need to be changed to keep us at the top.

• Advertisement

Fun way to kill a few minutes. 8000 is my high score

http://guessthestadium.com/#

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement