Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

League Cup suddenly looking a lot more winnable. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Fun way to kill a few minutes. 8000 is my high score

http://guessthestadium.com/#

Tried it once, got 4600, 2 wrong.

One was a bit of a giveaway, had the club crest on the stadium!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Not liking how tired Chelsea are going to be when they face Arsenal on the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

6800, 2 wrong :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

4300 my first run. Missed a couple I really should have got

6800 second go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Managed to get only one wrong. The stoke one looked like a picture of a roundabout more so than a stadium

Managed to get only one wrong. The stoke one looked like a picture of a roundabout more so than a stadium

If you click and drag you can rotate the camera. Some of them start out facing away from the stadium, which is pretty dopey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Not liking how tired Chelsea are going to be when they face Arsenal on the weekend.

Monday Night Football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Worth it to see them lose that.

Jose will give them a lashing too so they'll be fired up for Arsenal. Win win for us imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

not wanting to brag but 8500 first go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

4100:o:o:o

n32 wrote: »
    not wanting to brag but 8500 first go.

And on your second go?

6200 is best I got
    It would help if clock did not tick while picture was loading sometimes though:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

kryogen wrote: »
    Ill give it a quick blast

Where will we finish in the league? 3rd behind City and Chelsea

Champions League? Depending on the draw we might make the semi's but I would think the quarters would be a good bet

Signing(s) in January? None, or at least nothing inspiring.

League Cup? Semi Final
    FA Cup? Quarter final
    Overall: About par for his first season I would have thought, a taste of silverware albeit the Charity Shield, reaching the knock outs of the CL, decent if disappointing cup runs and a top 3 finish in a competitive league. As long as he builds upon it I will be happy enough, by build on it I mean, the style of play improves, some dead wood is cleared and some quality is brought in.

mine
    Where we finish in League..
    5th :( Can't see us getting enough momentum to get 4th

Champions League..beat olympiacos.. then bye bye

Signing in January
    A left back and " no midfielder available that would have improved the team, so we will have a look at it again in the Summer" quotes.

League Cup..semis

Fa cup... Quarters

Overall: Didn't expect to win the League in his first year but didn't expect ignominy of no CL.. which affects our ability to attract top players in summer and then what... Can you tell I didn't want Moyes to get the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

Where will we finish in the league? 5th, I hope I'm wrong though

Champions League? Last 8

Signing(s) in January? None

League Cup? Lose to City in either the Semi or the Final

FA Cup? Last 8

Overall Never expected us to win the league this season but not getting top four would be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Does anyone know if theres a twitter account that only posts the team and match updates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

9 points from the next 3 games is a must and with the difficulty of other team's fixtures over Christmas I think it will look a lpt better after them. I have faith that the team can beat West Ham, Norwich and Hull handily and if that happens hopefully January will be the month where finally the team can have confidence. If it's down to 7 points off the top when the Spurs game starts on January I remain optimistic about some sort of title challenge. Spurs and Chelsea in quick succession could put an end to that but I remain hopeful that some silver lining will come from this season.

next 5 games

West Ham (h)
    Hull(A)
    Norwich(A)
    Spurs(H)
    Swansea (H)

before Chelsea away in mid January

Minimum amount from here is 13 points, but ideally 15 points would be nice.

Anything less than 12 points would be tough going for rest of season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Where will we finish in the league? I think we'll go on an almighty run to beat all previous almighty runs and finish 2nd/3rd.

Champions League? Semi-Final.

Signing(s) in January A left back and two midfielders each of which will depress and excite everyone itt in equal measure. No major stars and no major money spent but still solid improvements to the squad/first team. The main "addition" will be Darren Fletcher who from Feb onwards turns in world class performances and becomes that phrase that I hate with a passion - "like a new signing".

League Cup? Win it.

FA Cup? We'll get through 3rd round then go on another nice little run before getting beat in the semi-final.:rolleyes:

Overall A terrible start will soon be forgotten about as Christmas and 2014 brings about the United of old. 2nd/3rd in league and a first real-ish cup for Moyes will make it a reasonably successful first season especially when the dark days of early season are taken into account.
    Roll on 2014/15 to see the real Moyes & United in action.:D

I've always been a glass half full kinda guy. Even when I've nothing to put into the glass. And the glass has a gaping hole in the bottom of it that I refuse to acknowledge. Its always half full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Where will we finish in the league? I think we'll go on an almighty run to beat all previous almighty runs and finish 2nd/3rd.

Champions League? Semi-Final.

Signing(s) in January A left back and two midfielders each of which will depress and excite everyone itt in equal measure. No major stars and no major money spent but still solid improvements to the squad/first team. The main "addition" will be Darren Fletcher who from Feb onwards turns in world class performances and becomes that phrase that I hate with a passion - "like a new signing".

League Cup? Win it.

FA Cup? We'll get through 3rd round then go on another nice little run before getting beat in the semi-final.:rolleyes:

Overall A terrible start will soon be forgotten about as Christmas and 2014 brings about the United of old. 2nd/3rd in league and a first real-ish cup for Moyes will make it a reasonably successful first season especially when the dark days of early season are taken into account.

I've always been a glass half full kinda guy. Even when I've nothing to put into the glass. And the glass has a gaping hole in the bottom of it that I refuse to acknowledge. Its always half full.

I love your optimism!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

David, is that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭elchupanebrey

NiallMH93 wrote: »
    David, is that you?

Judging by his Username i'd day it's Fergie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

xtal191 wrote: »
    Where will we finish in the league? 5th, I hope I'm wrong though

Champions League? Last 8

Signing(s) in January? None

League Cup? Lose to City in either the Semi or the Final

FA Cup? Last 8

Overall Never expected us to win the league this season but not getting top four would be a disaster.

wow slow down with all that optimism or you'll get peoples hopes up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Does anyone know if theres a twitter account that only posts the team and match updates?

ByTheMinManUtd does a lot of tweets with team news and close to a minute by minute on the match itself. H does post occasionally when there isn't matches but for an exmaple scroll down to the Villa game at the weekend for a flavour of the style.

https://twitter.com/ByTheMinManUtd

jaykay74 wrote: »
    ByTheMinManUtd does a lot of tweets with team news and close to a minute by minute on the match itself. H does post occasionally when there isn't matches but for an exmaple scroll down to the Villa game at the weekend for a flavour of the style.

https://twitter.com/ByTheMinManUtd

this one tends to just send jokes most of the time but does updates during games that usually comes with a video of any goals

https://twitter.com/BBCSporf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The next 3 games are massive we won't get an easier run of fixtures all season. We are 8 points behind Liverpool and look at their next 3 fixtures. They should beat Cardiff, can't see them getting anything against City and a point maybe against Chelsea. If we want top 4 we have to win the next 3 fixtures if we do we will more than likely be within 2 or 3 points of Liverpool after the first half of the season.

Liverpool v Cardiff
    Man City v Liverpool
    Chelsea v Liverpool

If you consider the spine of the team Vidic, Carrick and RVP have been injured most of the season and Fellaini i believe is performing poorly because he is carrying an injury, if we could get within 3 or 4 points of 4th heading into January we have a good chance. If we get these 4 back into the team and bring in 1 or 2 midfielders and a left back i would be very confident of a top 4 finish. I do think we will strengthen the midfield Moyes has talked about it maybe not a world class player but somebody who will improve it until the summer.

So far we have been missing our best defender, midfielder maybe two because Fellaini at Everton is above everything besides Carrick, our top scorer last season and our lb get's 4 or 5 times a game doesn't track back letting the opponents in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Wish people would stop referring to our "easy run of games".

Last time we had a run people expected 15 out of 15 points, we failed miserably....

There are no easy games in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

If our defenders tighten up . And if 4/5 of Val Nani kagawa. Roo. Van per. Hit good form from Jan - May we will win a lot of games I'll predict
    League 4th
    Champions league last 4
    League cup lose to city.
    Fa cup win.
    It's hard to make a signing in Jan to come in and change things. I'd rather the players we have to take there fingers out and hit form

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Wish people would stop referring to our "easy run of games".

Last time we had a run people expected 15 out of 15 points, we failed miserably....

You know what people mean when they refer to this term. It means a run of games a club the size of Man Utd should be winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Any updates on injuries . Who is Def out for tonight van per . Carrick ??????

Couple of quotes from Moyes this morning, one good one not so good
    Danny Welbeck reaping dividends of extra training, says David Moyes

David Moyes had to talk to Danny Welbeck about the need to be "last off the training field" to improve his game and pointed to Wayne Rooney as an example.

Striker urged by Manchester United manager to copy Rooney. 'Wayne's out there practising his finishing each day'

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/17/danny-welbeck-training-david-moyes-manchester-united?CMP=twt_gu

this will hardly to Zaha's confidence any good

this in abundance is needed to be instilled in the young players. like any player who ever played and trained with ronaldo would say that was what he would do and respected him for it. you have to keep working and working to make yourself the best if you just turn up and do the minimum you'll likely not make it at the highest level(bar maybe the odd exception)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

jebus what an awful waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/17/danny-welbeck-training-david-moyes-manchester-united?CMP=twt_gu

Or maybe it might give him the kick up the backside he might need...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Headshot wrote: »
    jebus what an awful waste of money

He was going to be the next Adnan Januzaj at one stage before he actually joined the club!

He is raw, he has plenty of potential, but he needs games. Sitting on the bench and playing in the reserves is no good for him. A loan needs to be sorted out for him to a PL team ideally, Cardiff? West Brom? Stoke!

Somewhere he will get regular game time to develop and grow into the premier league. Wonder if Martinez would like him at Everton, could be something done there if Moyes is determined to continue his Baines pursuit

Zaha has said the right things publicly and doesn't seem to have attitude problems, but he does need games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Dunno if posted but tis can only be a good thing for us right?
    Olympiacos to play home leg of tie in partially closed stadium.

He was going to be the next Adnan Januzaj at one stage before he actually joined the club!

Maybe my detectors are off at the moment, but this is tongue in cheek, right?

He's three years older and signed before Adnan even made his debut! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Alot of downbeat predictions, which I can fully understand in fairness and it's hard to disagree with.

I'm going to go with my heart over my head, stick with my pre season prediction that we win the league. I didn't feel Chelsea would be our main threat, felt it would be City. Never considered Arsenal to be fair. A good run through Christmas were we historically do well, and we could be right back in it. And then into the last stretch where again historically we do well, and to be fair, Moyes has always had a good finish to a premier league season. While I know this is a different animal to Everton, I feel there is obviously something he does with either training or something that keeps his teams in good shape into the run in.

Champions league thought we would get through our group which would be a good showing, I think beating Olympiakos would be a nice bonus and lift.

I felt and still do, a domestic cup should be a target. A taste of silverware, and it keeps the wolves from the door, regardless of the stature, but it would still be nice for Moyes to get a cup under his belt early.

Depending how the next few weeks go, might need to bury my blind optimism to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Point predicting has failed so far this season, that said we probably won't get a better run of games all season so the next 3 should tell us what we're made of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

TheDoc wrote: »
    Alot of downbeat predictions, which I can fully understand in fairness and it's hard to disagree with.

I'm going to go with my heart over my head, stick with my pre season prediction that we win the league. I didn't feel Chelsea would be our main threat, felt it would be City. Never considered Arsenal to be fair. A good run through Christmas were we historically do well, and we could be right back in it. And then into the last stretch where again historically we do well, and to be fair, Moyes has always had a good finish to a premier league season. While I know this is a different animal to Everton, I feel there is obviously something he does with either training or something that keeps his teams in good shape into the run in.

Champions league thought we would get through our group which would be a good showing, I think beating Olympiakos would be a nice bonus and lift.

I felt and still do, a domestic cup should be a target. A taste of silverware, and it keeps the wolves from the door, regardless of the stature, but it would still be nice for Moyes to get a cup under his belt early.

Depending how the next few weeks go, might need to bury my blind optimism to be fair

Get this person 50cc of reality stat!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Moyes talks too much.

And I'm a Moyes fan

It's interesting that Moyes is cooperative with the journalists who in turn are generally nice about Moyes in what they write and say about him.

While AVB, fought them and the media piled the pressure on any chance they got.

I bet if results were better Moyes would be talking a lot less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I would prefer if Welbeck had the desire to improve himslef rather than being told to do so. The qoutes on Zaha are basically inviting clubs to make a loan offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Moyes talks too much.

not so much about him talking too much, its what he is saying....he needs to realise where he is.

as manager of United, he is going to be doing alot of media work and public speaking due to the nature of the job. in fact, it was reported a few months back he was completely overwhelmed and shocked at the level of non football work he had to do as the manger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

not so much about him talking too much, its what he is saying....he needs to realise where he is.

as manager of United, he is going to be doing alot of media work and public speaking due to the nature of the job. in fact, it was reported a few months back he was completely overwhelmed and shocked at the level of non football work he had to do as the manger.

shocked at the level of non football work he had to do as the manger

This is a fair point. My brother did the tour of Old Trafford (as I am sure many on here have) and apparentlly at the end (and correct me if I am wrong) there is a video of Fergie saying 'goodbye and hope you enjoyed the tour'. So, amongst other things, Moyes will have to make time to do this video.

Plus, he is probably learning that he has to be guarded in everything he says. I am sure that there is a few on here who are surprised at some of the things he says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Moyes talks too much.

And I'm a Moyes fan

It's interesting that Moyes is cooperative with the journalists who in turn are generally nice about Moyes in what they write and say about him.

While AVB, fought them and the media piled the pressure on any chance they got.

Soooo.... what you're saying is he is a clever cookie.

Welbeck not training enough might explain why he only plays couple of decent games a season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Welbeck not training enough might explain why he only plays couple of decent games a season

Throw enough muck at the wall...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Soooo.... what you're saying is he is a clever cookie.

Well yes and what Homer said as well. To me it looks like he wants to give the media some stories to talk about but at the same time I am not keen on how much he is saying. The Welbeck story for example would be better if it was simply Welbz is working hard after training and getting the results rather than saying he wasn't doing it and needed to be reminded.

Paddy power happy hour from 4-5 have United Evens to tonight for those interested.

Still think its bit short but just letting ye know

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement