Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Bet we get drawn away too city now

2 legs in the semi, innit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

2 legs in the semi, innit?

Yes, away goals dont count though unless goes to extra time in 2nd leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Get on with the bloody draw...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

sunderland nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sunderland, should be winning that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'll take that. Away first too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Decent result, but 'meh' performance overall. Young showed glimpses of what he's capable of, and took his goal very well, but was horribly inconsistent with his crossing. The crossing all night was poor, even talking into account the winds in the first half.

How come there isn't a poll on here of players' ratings for matches anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Happy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Thought we were pretty dominant. Big Dave didn't have a save to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

First chance of a trophy getting ever closer. Be extra nice obviously if his first United trophy was won by beating City!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

You would think we should be able to beat Sunderland comfortably enough over 2 legs... Biggest concern now is the potential Rooney injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Third clean sheet in a row. Good stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

First chance of a trophy getting ever closer.

CoughSHIELDcough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Hey, reach the final, good chance we're in Europe :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It's going to be a good battle lads. I think the home leg first is actually better for us, means that if we get a result in the first leg we have something to hold on to/aim for in the second. If we took a beating by more than one goal away in the first leg it would be all but over to be honest.

Really looking forward to it. I'll hopefully get over for the first leg. Is it true that the away fans get a large proportion of tickets for the away legs, something like 10% of capacity? You always sell out away from home and I think our lads would sell out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Not vintage United by any means, but at least we can do it on a cold windy night in Stoke :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'm liking this new one:

Anybody know the other fairly new one that was being aired towards the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Not vintage United by any means, but at least we can do it on a cold windy night in Stoke :)

Ashley Young 1. Messi 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

kryogen wrote: »
    He needs games, either to play himself into form, or at least to put him in the shop window and hope someone thinks they can get the best out of him

Hey, it worked for Valencia...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Any idea what date the 2nd leg at OT is on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Vertigo100 wrote: »

Week starting 20th jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just a heads up lads that Ryanair are doing €17 flights (one-way) if booked before Thursday. As the games are confirmed for the week commencing and will only be on a Tuesday or Wednesday (I think) it might be worth booking up if you're going to do two days over there anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

job done, decent last 30 minutes when hernandez came on, but we were pretty poor up until that.

the front 6 that started was one of the least inspiring ive ever seen but thankfully it all worked out in the end. hopefully those 6 players never end up on the pitch together again.

in the last 18 months, them 6 players have scored a total of 20 goals between them (Welbeck and Clev 12 of them), over 261 games at an average of 1 goal every 13 games.

just couldnt see us scoring anything until Hernandez came one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

There was more balance to the side when he came on, Welbeck also had someone to work with. Was stupid to start with him up top alone and thankfully it worked out alright once he got a strike partner.

Hernandez can feel very hard done by not to have started that game along with Welbeck and leaving Cleverley on the bench tbh. The midfield wouldn't have been any less inspiring. You could have left Ando out for him too of course, just he needs games for various reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

MagicIRL wrote: »
    2-0 United win

:)

• Advertisement

Vertigo100 wrote: »

im 100% sure it will be on Wednesday 22nd at 7.45, unless our sunday evening game V Chelsea 3 days before is moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Job done with a second string MF and forward line away to Stoke which is a tough place to go. Not inspiring but overall we deserved it.

No complaints really. Carrick is back in training and hopefully Fletcher will get a full 90 mins soon. Lets hope Rooney is back very quickly. Kagawa and Chico to fill in until he's back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Three clean sheets in a row has to be somewhat inspiring.. :-)

Hopefully the Rooney injury is minor, or just an insurance policy in case United lost. That way the media can't blame him for not playing Roo.

Did Evans get injured tonight? Didn't see the game but seen it mentioned elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭larchielads

18m for young!!! bet he cant do it on a wet wednesday night at stoke.....oh wait;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I wonder was there an axe wielding over Ashley's head tonight and if he has escaped it?
    He said: “I have spoken to him [about the diving] and I have said, make sure you do everything right, get on with it and tonight he did. He got kicked a few times and he went down, got back up and got on with it.
    “He has showed he can come in and he can make an impact and score us some goals and I am needing that. We have got a lot of competition in wide areas at Manchester United, a lot of players we can select from, so you need to score, you need to play well if you want to get regular outings. He has got to keep stepping up like he did here.
    “What I have noticed is when you come to Manchester United, and you are playing in the team, you have got to show it and when you get your moments and opportunities and I thought he showed that tonight.
    “He has got the ability to score and he is a good goalscorer, we see that in training. He needed the goal for himself. He is in there and we want a lot of goals around the team and it was great he could get one tonight.”

Telegraph

axe-hatchet.jpg

%C2%A3%C2%A3%C2%A3%20RE%20USAGE%20FEE%20APPLIES..-795593.%20Manchester%20United's%20Anderson%20celebrates%20scoring%20the%20first%20goal%20for%20his%20side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Anderson probably getting one season of benefit from Moyes to see how he fares, would imagine he will be gone in the summer.

Job done with a second string MF and forward line away to Stoke which is a tough place to go. Not inspiring but overall we deserved it.

Second string midfield? I know it looked like a league cup line out, but actually that was pretty much our first team midfield. Jones, Cleverley, Valencia and Young, a lot of appearances between them four this season.

v3ttel wrote: »
    I'm liking this new one:

Anybody know the other fairly new one that was being aired towards the end?
    cant stop signing that myself!

lots of new songs about at the moment, the sh*itness on the pitch, has been positively met in the terraces as the fans just sing away no matter what the result.

one of the most pleasing aspects of this season is our fans...absolutely magnificent last night and have been all season.

its no coincidence that our away form is much better, as the away support is the best about and turns games like last night into virtual home games. and yet...people are still having a go at our fans over Moyes..if anything, we should all be commended at the way despite the poor handling and result so far, the vast majority of people are still supporting him even if they are not happy with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Was one of the songs 'If fletcher scores, We're on the pitch' or something?? Worried looking stewards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Well i will give Moyes credit for one thing. Since he made the comment about moving on players Welbeck scored a brace and Cleverley and Young scored for their first time in ages. You could see it in Young last night in his celebration he know's he is under pressure.

Just a side note on Valencia what is the story with his crossing. His general play has been better of late not massively but better than last season. He is getting into some good positions but i have never seen such a poor crosser of the ball. All he does is put the head down drive it as hard as he can along the ground and it gets blocked by somebody's foot. We really need a good quality out and out winger i feel.

Valencia can't cross.
    Kagawa and Janjuaz like roaming centrally.
    Nani while inconsistent has a decent cross but is not playing often enough.
    Young just has not been the same player he was in his first season.

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Was one of the songs 'If fletcher scores, We're on the pitch' or something?? Worried looking stewards

yep, thought it was going to be Villa in the fa cup all over again.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Anderson probably getting one season of benefit from Moyes to see how he fares, would imagine he will be gone in the summer.

We all have our opinion on Anderson which is most have given up hope. But i hear people saying he needs to go after last night. He hasn't kicked a ball most of the season you can't base anything on last night. He was rusty and playing in horrible conditions. He is actually our only midfielder that can drop deep pick up the ball and bring it forward instead of back the way. Really surprised he has not got more games this season considering how poor we have been.

did anybody here/read/see that a player (reported to be Guarin) has said he wants a move to us, but a "bigger" player has been signed instead?

the lad i heard it from isnt the most reliable so can anybody else confirm this or is it bulls*it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

TheDoc wrote: »

I can see Moyes 'wielding the axe' this Summer. He has Fergie's squad and must realise by now how substandard it is. If he is to succeed/fail at this role, it might as well be his own players.

:)
    Michael Carrick ‏@carras16 12h

By the way our mob behind the goal are bouncing... #mufc

• Advertisement

did anybody here/read/see that a player (reported to be Guarin) has said he wants a move to us, but a "bigger" player has been signed instead?

the lad i heard it from isnt the most reliable so can anybody else confirm this or is it bulls*it?

Hmm anybody have a guess who this bigger player could be if true. Would be nice if it was Draxler. Actually Guarin is a cm player so i presume this bigger signing would be a cm player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Nuts102 wrote: »
    We all have our opinion on Anderson which is most have given up hope. But i hear people saying he needs to go after last night. He hasn't kicked a ball most of the season you can't base anything on last night. He was rusty and playing in horrible conditions. He is actually our only midfielder that can drop deep pick up the ball and bring it forward instead of back the way. Really surprised he has not got more games this season considering how poor we have been.

God I'm not calling anything on him after last night. But I think for the amount of time he has been there for his contribution, seriously, it's time to cut the chord.

I fully believe our CM problems weren't addressed by Fergie because he constantly got hope Anderson was fit and firing. We have seen what he can do on song, and he is an excellent player who drives forward and manages a high tempo game from the midfield.

But the injuries and haplessness in maintaining fitness, I'm sure Moyes is giving this squad one year, he will make his mind up and then a few will go and some come on, I've no doubt about it.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Hmm anybody have a guess who this bigger player could be if true. Would be nice if it was Draxler. Actually Guarin is a cm player so i presume this bigger signing would be a cm player.

most reports today now suggest he (Guarin) is off to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Cup competitions are going great, and got favourable draws to go further.

I really hope we don't skip on the January transfer window. The season can still be saved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

most reports today now suggest he (Guarin) is off to Chelsea.

Thank ****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Wrt support, last night they were immense and in all the away games...OT has been p!as poor though a lot of the time. I suppose you get a lot of day trippers and tourist fans. Was that singing section a trial or a permanent thing? It would be great if we could have an 'away' section at OT.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Cup competitions are going great, and got favourable draws to go further.

unbeaten in 10 cup games so far this season, winning 8....pretty excellent going.

i just wonder, has we suffered a little bit, due to the extra pressure that was on Moyes due to the lack of experience he had in Europe and maybe, just maybe he let his guard down a bit in the league due to this?

in all fairness to Moyes, if we were to rate him on his cup performances, it would be 9 or 10 out of 10 and you cant get much better than that.

we are half way through our 6 game run with 3 wins out of 3, so its so far so good. 3 more now and we will be in excellent shape going into Spurs game.

we are half way through our 6 game run with 3 wins out of 3, so its so far so good. 3 more now and we will be in excellent shape going into Spurs game.

The actual performances are still very poor though, we were abject at times last night, we haven't improved in that regard in the slightest.

ericzeking wrote: »
    Was that singing section a trial or a permanent thing? It would be great if we could have an 'away' section at OT.

was a trial, was a great success and was supposed to be done again for Donetsk (a few of us on here were going into it), but it got cancelled as Donetsk didnt confirm their away allocation and with 3 home games in 6 days, there was too much admin work involved to get it done.

seems to be taking too long and too much effort for it to work i fear, but it really did help and is a great idea.

sadly however, Old Trafford is just too big to create a real proper atmosphere unless you fill it with people who are young, energetic and want to sing as opposed to people who just are there for the occasion rather than the team.

its normally only the bigger games that the place comes to life.
    ericzeking wrote: »
    I suppose you get a lot of day trippers and tourist fans. .

careful now, you might upset some of the more precious lads on here when it comes to describing the Old Trafford crowd ;)

• Advertisement

unbeaten in 10 cup games so far this season, winning 8....pretty excellent going.

i just wonder, has we suffered a little bit, due to the extra pressure that was on Moyes due to the lack of experience he had in Europe and maybe, just maybe he let his guard down a bit in the league due to this?

in all fairness to Moyes, if we were to rate him on his cup performances, it would be 9 or 10 out of 10 and you cant get much better than that.

To be fair you have to take into consideration injuries. Carrick and RVP were our best players last season and have barely featured. We always said how much of a loss Carrick would be and we can see it now. Also Vidic has looked of the pace all season. Rafael has missed games and Evra is a shadow of the way he played last year. Also his midfield signing just has not worked out so far.

The football has to improve but hopefully it will after Christmas with Carrick, RVP and Fellaini in the team. Moyes had Everton playing some decent football better than we are playing now for sure.

Win the next 3 games, get a fully fit squad and add a signing or two and we could kick on from January. All wishful thinking but getting those 3 back will certainly help big time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement