Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

It's kinda what a lot of us expected, as in the availability of quality players. As much as I want us to sign someone, I'd rather get the best in the summer rather than get "good enough" in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

That loan move has been great for him, hopefully he'll get a similar loan move next season but to a premier league team.

Apparently our loan agreement with Wigan for Powell involved a "review clause" where in January we can recall him if we want, either to chip in for us, or, what I would rather see, loan him out to a Premier League team for the rest of the season. Apparently Mark Hughes wants him at Stoke, could be interesting to see how he fairs with a view to breaking into our first team next season. The loan to Wigan has been fantastic for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sacramento wrote: »
    It's kinda what a lot of us expected, as in the availability of quality players. As much as I want us to sign someone, I'd rather get the best in the summer rather than get "good enough" in January.

But what if "good enough" is the difference between mounting a challenge in the league and moving on further in the CL provided the player is not cup tied? If they're not good enough to be first choice for 5 or more years they'll improve the squad at a minimum no doubt. If Fellaini is injured for a while as it looks like and Carrick's fitness is also a concern then Cleverly and Jones are all that seemingly Moyes trusts to play in central midfield. I personally think Kagawa could do well in the role Cleverly is being asked to play recently but I doubt that will happen so what reason is there not to bring in somebody in January if the opportunity arises?

Liam O wrote: »
    But what if "good enough" is the difference between mounting a challenge in the league and moving on further in the CL provided the player is not cup tied? If they're not good enough to be first choice for 5 or more years they'll improve the squad at a minimum no doubt. If Fellaini is injured for a while as it looks like and Carrick's fitness is also a concern then Cleverly and Jones are all that seemingly Moyes trusts to play in central midfield. I personally think Kagawa could do well in the role Cleverly is being asked to play recently but I doubt that will happen so what reason is there not to bring in somebody in January if the opportunity arises?

It's a bit if a dilemma, it depends on who Moyes sees as staying with the club. If he plans on offloading Anderson in the summer for example, then signing a good player in January makes more sense. I'm not seeing any stand out potential signings that will actually be available in January though. Especially ones who could improve us enough to push us up the table more than we're already capable of doing.

What I'm saying really is that I understand Moyes comment regarding January signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Apparently our loan agreement with Wigan for Powell involved a "review clause" where in January we can recall him if we want, either to chip in for us, or, what I would rather see, loan him out to a Premier League team for the rest of the season. Apparently Mark Hughes wants him at Stoke, could be interesting to see how he fairs with a view to breaking into our first team next season. The loan to Wigan has been fantastic for him.

I wish the English FA could allow Premier League teams to have a "B" team playing in the lower leagues like the other federations in Europe. Would avoid sending our players out on loan to get competitive football and still wear the jersey of the club they represent.

Not sure if this has ever been looked at in England but really think it should

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    I wish the English FA could allow Premier League teams to have a "B" team playing in the lower leagues like the other federations in Europe. Would avoid sending our players out on loan to get competitive football and still wear the jersey of the club they represent.

What happens to the smaller clubs then? England has a great 4 tier pro league system and it should stay that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Good point and what decent prospective World Cup player is going to want to make such a huge move right before the WC starts? None.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Only seeing game now on MOTD, brilliant goal by Januzaj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Young with another goal. If he keeps up this form I would start to NOT hate seeing his name on the team sheet. Shocking challenge on Hernandez.

EDIT:
    Buttner is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Pretty big pyramid for that team to climb up to get to a level worth having them at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

we should go for Yohan Cabaye or Kehab as Kinner like to call him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Just about to post that. Cabaye would be 18 mil and is quite a complete midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

beno619 wrote: »
    Cabaye would be 18 mil

Really?

Where are are u getting that from?

If Cabaye could be gotten for less than £20m it would be a very good piece of January business. I can't see Newcastle letting him go for that cheap though.

What happens to the smaller clubs then? England has a great 4 tier pro league system and it should stay that way

Yeah maybe your right but system has worked well in Germany and Spain having reserve teams playing in lower leagues. I don't think United having a "B" team playing in League 1 would be insulting or degrading to any of the other teams in that league as long as they were good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I have an intense dislike of Cabaye and would rather not see him play for United, goes missing when the team is up against it far too often, and he is a bit of a nasty ****er too.

Quandary wrote: »
    Really?

Where are are u getting that from?

If Cabaye could be gotten for less than £20m it would be a very good piece of January business. I can't see Newcastle letting him go for that cheap though.

That was the rumoured price Arsenal would have had to pay last summer. Trying to sign him in January might be difficult though.

Yeah maybe your right but system has worked well in Germany and Spain having reserve teams playing in lower leagues. I don't think United having a "B" team playing in League 1 would be insulting or degrading to any of the other teams in that league as long as they were good enough

It wouldnt just be United but every other prem team and maybe more having B teams. These would flood the football league and wipe out teams with years of history behind them. I really hate the idea of it

Does anybody know how many times Cleverley passed the ball forwards today? Is he a attacking midfielder,holding midfielder, defensive midfielder? I cannot tell by the way he plays football. He seems to run into great pockets and then when receives the ball does something quite negative.His side word passing is depressing!! Done nothing today again to impress me at home to one of the worst teams in the league,

It wouldnt just be United but every other prem team and maybe more having B teams. These would flood the football league and wipe out teams with years of history behind them. I really hate the idea of it

Your probably right but for selfish reasons would like to see it. I completely understand your point though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

CSF wrote: »
    Pretty big pyramid for that team to climb up to get to a level worth having them at.

Meh, you can use the players with no future in the higher leagues to climb the lower parts of the pyramid. I'm sure there are plenty of those in the youth system. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Watching Wellbeck for the first goal today and in general if he improves his finishing he is going to be a machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Watching Wellbeck for the first goal today and in general if he improves his finishing he is going to be a machine.
    Not a fan off United at all, but Welbeck has it all, well besides composure, if he had Hernandez like composure hed be out off this world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Does anybody know how many times Cleverley passed the ball forwards today? Is he a attacking midfielder,holding midfielder, defensive midfielder? I cannot tell by the way he plays football. He seems to run into great pockets and then when receives the ball does something quite negative.His side word passing is depressing!! Done nothing today again to impress me at home to one of the worst teams in the league,

He's all of them due to the lack of support he gets with Jones playing as a 3rd midfielder and only Rooney sporadically helping him out. He was up against 3 players in the middle today. The players have this very annoying habit of running away from the person with the ball too. It was only when Januzaj went inside more and Rooney dropped back more that the team somewhat resembled a team that are PL champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I dunno about that. He can become a good striker for us.But not talented enough to become a machone but can become a good striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Was talking about this with a friend the other day. The German system works by splitting the fourth tier into 5 regional ligas (5 winners and best runner up play for 3 promotion spots) so there's something like 100 4th division teams over here.

"Zwei" ("2" or "II") teams as they're called here, are limited to 7 per league, can not progress beyond the thrid level, can only use u23s and if a player playes for the zwei team he can not play for the first team for a week eitherside and can not enter cup competitions.

I think it would work, but you'd have to get input from the current thrid and fourth division teams.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Meh, you can use the players with no future in the higher leagues to climb the lower parts of the pyramid. I'm sure there are plenty of those in the youth system. ;)
    Not sure you're fully prepared for how low the pyramid gos!!

wadacrack wrote: »
    I dunno about that. He can become a good striker for us.But not talented enough to become a machone but can become a good striker

Has shedloads of ability just needs a consistent run of games. Like I said last week the RVP injury has been a blessing in disguise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

So the Cabaye love has started now, I got slated in the summer for saying we should get him.

Cabaye has a great patch every season, but sooner or later he starts moping around the pitch and acting like he couldn't give a ****. My general opinion of him that when the going gets tough, he would rather sulk. Now, there is no telling whether moving to a club like United would motivate him to be more consistent all season, or not, but I would rather avoid him. Although if we did end up signing him I would certainly give him a chance.

For the sum Mike Ashley would want, however, I don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

CSF wrote: »
    Not sure you're fully prepared for how low the pyramid gos!!

I'm well aware of how low it goes! Such a team would enter at level 10, but they would climb pretty quickly and it wouldn't be long before they were playing against professional and semi-pro clubs, along with the B teams for other larger clubs.

They'd also have to pass F.C. United of Manchester on the way up. :pac:

• Advertisement

He generally plays the water carrier role

I'm well aware of how low it goes! Such a team would enter at level 10, but they would climb pretty quickly and it wouldn't be long before they were playing against professional and semi-pro clubs, along with the B teams for other larger clubs.

They'd also have to pass F.C. United of Manchester on the way up. :pac:

The standard of football being played at that level wouldnt help either reserve or youth players for a team like United. Sure, they may climb the leagues quickly enough but the 10 years or so it would take to get to a decent level would be detrimental to the players who would be playing during that time

So the Cabaye love has started now, I got slated in the summer for saying we should get him.

People have mentioned Cabaye for a long time buddy, you were hardly banging a drum alone the past summer.

He isn't what is needed to take the club on, the fact that he would be an improvement to what we have (when he isn't hiding) is more a negative on the midfield we have then a compliment to him.

I recognise his ability when he is arsed, but I don't want him anywhere near the club, the money could be spent better

Red Crow wrote: »
    Good point and what decent prospective World Cup player is going to want to make such a huge move right before the WC starts? None.

Didn't we sign Hernandez just before the 2010 World Cup?

Didn't we sign Hernandez just before the 2010 World Cup?

I'm pretty sure going from a club like Guadalajara to Manchester United would actually put you on the map for the national team more than it would hinder you're chances.

But we signed Chich when the season was ending, around the same time we announced the Nani/Ando deals, or Fergie's retirement. The World Cup was the 1st time we saw him, and everyone was trying not to get carried away when he scored the winner against France and then ****ed that goal in against Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

kryogen wrote: »
    I have an intense dislike of Cabaye and would rather not see him play for United, goes missing when the team is up against it far too often, and he is a bit of a nasty ****er too.

Keane? Robson? Butt? Scholes? Ince? All highly successful center midfielders for us who had a bit of a nasty streak. I don't see that as being a negative really.

I would like to see Cabaye at United if the right sort of price could be agreed (not £20m+). Excellent passer, fine to play as part of a 2 man CM, can control a game and get his side forward, decent at timing a run into the box, gets the odd goal, and obviously superb from dead ball situations.

He is a more realistic target than the likes of Fabregas, Gundogan, Modric etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

v3ttel wrote: »
    I would like to see Cabaye at United .

Sneijder is better.

He'd cost more in wages....but he's better.

It would be a much smaller transfer fee too. And he's better. :P

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure going from a club like Guadalajara to Manchester United would actually put you on the map for the national team more than it would hinder you're chances.

But we signed Chich when the season was ending, around the same time we announced the Nani/Ando deals, or Fergie's retirement. The World Cup was the 1st time we saw him, and everyone was trying not to get carried away when he scored the winner against France and then ****ed that goal in against Argentina.

My point was that he was already nailed on for the World Cup and his point was that no player would move just before the World Cup. I disagree on the basis that if you're already in the world cup team, why would you not consider moving to another club at the end of a season before a World Cup? Especially if I'd be a good career move, why would they delay it?

v3ttel wrote: »
    Keane? Robson? Butt? Scholes? Ince? All highly successful center midfielders for us who had a bit of a nasty streak. I don't see that as being a negative really.

I would like to see Cabaye at United if the right sort of price could be agreed (not £20m+). Excellent passer, fine to play as part of a 2 man CM, can control a game and get his side forward, decent at timing a run into the box, gets the odd goal, and obviously superb from dead ball situations.

He is a more realistic target than the likes of Fabregas, Gundogan, Modric etc.

All valid points, he just rubs me up the wrong way however and I would have difficulty cheering him if he was to join. He is a more realistic target then them because he is quite a few levels beneath them in terms of ability. He would be expensive relative to his class

Keane/Ince/Scholes etc were for the most part hard but fair players, obviously it boiled over a couple of times but for the most part Keane and his ilk played the game in the right spirit, hard but fair. I don't put Cabaye in that category. I may be clouded a bit due to my dislike of him, but that's how it is for me.

He has left his foot in on a few United players, that tends to be enough to make me not like someone, add to that his disappearing act when the going gets tough and I would just find it very hard to be behind the signing. As has been mentioned, he normally has one very good patch of form a season then goes missing for the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

He generally plays the water carrier role
    From the highlights it looked like he was through on goal today only for play to be stopped because of McCartney's tackle on Chicarito. Could have had another goal to go with his improved performances. I like Cleverly, not the best by any means, but when on form he's more than sufficient for the role he plays against the majority of premier league teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Kirby wrote: »
    Sneijder is better.

He is also slower and reports are if he is playing like he has been for Galatasaray, then we would be better off not having him.

I like this new Ashley Young player that turned up in the last couple of matches, be happy if he stayed and continued to contribute with goals and assists. I hope we never see that Ashley Young player that was terrible again.
    He is redeeming himself but needs to keep the form of the last two games.

I am of mixed feelings about Cleverley, there are much better out there that can take his place, I do think he has improved a bit since the start of the season, wouldn't be hard says you. One can see he is trying harder and the game time should help him. He is fine for games against teams like West Ham.

Welbeck, once he keeps scoring goals and take more of his chances, then yes, he has speed and can do a decent to good job.

The problem we had earlier in the season was the reliance on Wayne Rooney and his goals, Rooney has been excellent this season. He has more than redeemed himself in terms of how people saw him when Fergie opened his mouth towards the end of last season. Hopefully a new contract can be worked out, maybe Paul Stretford wants a big transfer fee bonus in his own wage package...

One can only hope the worst is over in terms of how the team has played this season, the centre defense of Smalling/Evans should be the number 1 partnership, badly need a left back and we need Rafael to stay injury free.
    We can hope Buttner finds employment elsewhere.

I don't think United will do much business in January, two players at most maybe none, with the main business saved for the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I honestly think cleverley is just a poor mans darren fletcher. He does a lot of the same running around/ closing down but without the purpose and determinatom feltch shows and hopefully shows again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

http://www.101greatgoals.com/goals/england/manchester-united-v-west-ham-team-sheets/

MOTD highlights for anyone who missed it

Anyone know who Januzaj was pointing to when he scored yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

More photobombing

moyesbomb.png

http://www.101greatgoals.com/goals/england/manchester-united-v-west-ham-team-sheets/

MOTD highlights for anyone who missed it

David Moyes is what I heard, as in this one is for you, maybe a thank you picking him.

Kirby wrote: »
    Sneijder is better.

He's really not in 2013.

Cabaye is a superior CM player,Sneider is obviously better technically but he would have to change his game and sit in midfield at United.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I wonder is there any chance Sandro would fancy a move in January considering what's happened at Spurs this past month.

I know levy would prob charge close to £30m but he's exactly the type of midfielder we could do with IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

@evilkagawa I think. Heard they're great buddies once all the hatred and bitchiness is scraped away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

All valid points, he just rubs me up the wrong way however and I would have difficulty cheering him if he was to join. He is a more realistic target then them because he is quite a few levels beneath them in terms of ability. He would be expensive relative to his class

Keane/Ince/Scholes etc were for the most part hard but fair players, obviously it boiled over a couple of times but for the most part Keane and his ilk played the game in the right spirit, hard but fair. I don't put Cabaye in that category. I may be clouded a bit due to my dislike of him, but that's how it is for me.

He has left his foot in on a few United players, that tends to be enough to make me not like someone, add to that his disappearing act when the going gets tough and I would just find it very hard to be behind the signing. As has been mentioned, he normally has one very good patch of form a season then goes missing for the rest

I agree entirely. He strikes me as one of the nastiest players in the league, and not in a tough man way, but in a weasely/cowardly way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement