Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Looks like we're going to finish the weekend in 8th with this Spurs win.

8th has been our most consistent place so far this season, finished 7 out of 17 game weeks in 8th.

Hopefully we're seeing the start of a change in form now, players coming back from injury and hopefully a new addition or two in January and we should be back in business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

RobertKK wrote: »
    David Moyes is what I heard, as in this one is for you, maybe a thank you picking him.

Nice touch is true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

*in before somebody said Pogba scored for Juve

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

*in before somebody said Pogba scored for Juve

The Pogba story just never stops hurting does it :(

He's probably worth about £25m now.

Fergie really dropped the ball badly with that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Looking at the table, it's very hard to see us making any progress unless we do something nearly impossible like win 10 in a row.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Looking at the table, it's very hard to see us making any progress unless we do something nearly impossible like win 10 in a row.

At the very least 2 from Arsenal, Chelsea, City and Pool are going drop some points this week. Couple of draws and we win next 2 and things look bit better.

If we want to win league, then yes 10 in a row type of run is needed. Being realistic top 4 is our aim now, hence 5-6 games on bounce would be fine.

Do you mean in terms of making a push to try and win the title?

I would have thought the title was long gone for us. Especially looking at how strong some of our direct rivals are getting.

Getting into the top four is our main priority by some distance now IMO. Anything higher than 4th will be a bonus.

Progress is 10 wins in a row?

That's if you want to top the league which we are in no position for now, we don't deserve to be near the top 4 on our first half of the season performance.

We can make slow progress, I'd be aiming to be top 4 or 1 or 2 points off by the end of February/start of March. Then see where we can go from there.

Damn you all and your optimism.

Progress is 10 wins in a row?

That's if you want to top the league which we are in no position for now, we don't deserve to be near the top 4 on our first half of the season performance.

We can make slow progress, I'd be aiming to be top 4 or 1 or 2 points off by the end of February/start of March. Then see where we can go from there.

I agree

At this stage I'll be quite happy if we tick away nicely, not drop too many silly points and keep our big players fit. We really should have more than enough to get into the top four unless a repeat of the 1st half of the season happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I wouldn't get ahead of ourselves by saying we're coming into good form just cause we beat three teams who are preforming well below our level, even in this time of crisis.

West Ham, Stoke and Villa are all in the bottom half of the table, and we've not been having any trouble with them all season. Our "improved form" will be interesting to witness when we start playing teams in the top half of the table again...

Damn you all and your optimism.

All of the replies have said we should be aiming for top 4 and make slow progress.

If the Chelsea/Arsenal game is a draw we'll be 6 points off 4th, after having an abysmal start to the season and Carrick/RVP/Nani/Vidic to come back in and possibly signings in January,

IMO if we can't make up 6 points from now until the end of February and be in 4th by that time which is the goal I'd like to see the team fulfil, we're in all out disaster territory.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

All of the replies have said we should be aiming for top 4 and make slow progress.

If the Chelsea/Arsenal game is a draw we'll be 6 points off 4th, after having an abysmal start to the season and Carrick/RVP/Nani/Vidic to come back in and possibly signings in January,

IMO if we can't make up 6 points from now until the end of February and be in 4th by that time which is the goal I'd like to see the team fulfil, we're in all out disaster territory.

Equally you'd only be 8 points off first. It is just so tight in the top few places that it really could be any 4 from 7 at this point, and still very tough to call who will come out on top, although obviously some are bigger outsiders than others. Some teams will tail away in the new year probably, but it is so unpredictable this year it is bloody interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Fergie actually made alot of errors in his time.
    Granted he got it right alot more but examples like letting pogba go didnt surprise me. hes cut throat for sure. beckham keane and stam would say so.
    His signings of for example
    Bebe,kleberson,djemba djemba,veron,bosnich,taiibi,Prunier, poborsky,miller,young,cryuff.--- major errors.

The most bizarre one for me being Bebe.

5starpool wrote: »
    Equally you'd only be 8 points off first. It is just so tight in the top few places that it really could be any 4 from 7 at this point, and still very tough to call who will come out on top, although obviously some are bigger outsiders than others. Some teams will tail away in the new year probably, but it is so unpredictable this year it is bloody interesting.

Exactly, it's still way too early to call anything and it'll probably take a lot longer than previous seasons before we will be able to see teams pulling away from the bunch. It's brilliant how competitive it is from a fan of football's perspective but as a United supporter obviously annoying at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Fergie actually made alot of errors in his time.
    Granted he got it right alot more but examples like letting pogba go didnt surprise me. hes cut throat for sure. beckham keane and stam would say so.
    His signings of for example
    Bebe,kleberson,djemba djemba,veron,bosnich,taiibi,Prunier, poborsky,miller,young,cryuff.--- major errors.

He was managing for 26 years. There will be errors all over the place.

Ah ffs I hate this ****. He was at the club 26 years. No matter how good a manger he was going to buy dud or 2.

Vernon was immense at Lazio. Everybody at the time thought it was a super buy.

Kleberson was a world cup winning player.

Djemba won African Nations cup and was in Cameroon squad for WC 2002. A failure, but plenty clubs showed interest at the time.

Bosnich was very good with Villa.

Hindsight is wonderful.

Don't see how Veron was an error. He didn't work out here but he was a world class player at the time.

It seems to be widely accepted that the Bebe transfer was just a way to keep Jorge Mendes sweet.

Transfers like Kleberson, the Djemba twins, Bosnich and the likes will happen over the course of 25 years, as people have already said.

Pogba though, that was just shít management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Ah ffs I hate this ****. He was at the club 26 years. No matter how good a manger he was going to buy dud or 2.

Vernon was immense at Lazio. Everybody at the time thought it was a super buy.

Kleberson was a world cup winning player.

Djemba won African Nations cup and was in Cameroon squad for WC 2002. A failure, but plenty clubs showed interest at the time.

Bosnich was very good with Villa.

Hindsight is wonderful.

Poborsky had ripped up Euro 96 aswell. Scored one of the goals of the tournament. Was well worth a punt at the time.

Huge money was not spent on those players except for Veron. Worth a gamble and you can't win them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I would hazard a guess that every single United fan the world over was excited at the prospect of Veron signing. I was working in a place in the Western Industrial Estate at the time, and I always remember picking up a copy of The Star with his signing on the back page and being absolutely delighted with it.

No one at the time would have said it was a gamble signing him - a proven quality world class player. Was just a real shame that it didn't work out the way we all would have wanted.

• Advertisement

Watching everton again. Barkley is à class act. Id love him in a utd jersey . Whats he worth. 25-30m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Did we buy Kleberson and Djemba Djemba in the same season? I remember at the time thinking wow we have a Brazilian World Cup Winner now. Also when we bought Veron I thought it was the greatest signing we'd made since Roy Keane.

Taibi in fairness though was horrific lol

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJ5Cq8qphrTmjafiSTKQMW-ypD_TZXKB0l7g9w8qiBjS9GgeQG

Watching everton again. Barkley is à class act. Id love him in a utd jersey . Whats he worth. 25-30m

Say 20million would get him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Calling 7 or 8 signings that didn't work out over a 26 year dynasty "major errors" is a major error in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

MANUTD99 wrote: »

Taibi in fairness though was horrific lol

At the recent Legends night in Carlow, David May and Gary Pallister were asked about the worst ever signings for United. May had a nice few pints on Guinness in him at this stage, and he goes

"Remember Massimo??? That prick was allergic to grass"

I Think that Might be low balling It. ED :P

Add another 5 or 10 on to that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

That free kick has just added another 5m onto that!

edit: FU ^

:D.

• Advertisement

I was only joking haha

haha

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:o:pac:

He's only played 30 top flight games. Surely 30m is way ott?

A bid has to be made . Young. Clev. Anderson. One of them or more could be used to sweeten The deal. I raté him very high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Any more than that and we would be getting very hard done by, which I reckon we will of course. In fairness he is probably worth 10-15million in the market, so with English tax and United tax I think he will be 20million+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Wow. No way would i think 20. 30million at least.

kryogen wrote: »
    Any more than that and we would be getting very hard done by, which I reckon we will of course. In fairness he is probably worth 10-15million in the market, so with English tax and United tax I think he will be 20million+

Ya I be honest 20 million even after his goal today would make Everton think.

Moyes bro his agent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Moyes bro his agent.

That was only a recent thing too wasn't it?

Hopefully that's a good sign that he'll sign for us in a while.

30 million. ????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at least?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lads stop posting while yer on the sauce

That was only a recent thing too wasn't it?

Hopefully that's a good sign that he'll sign for us in a while.

ya few months ago I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

20m for Barkley with another 10m for Seamie and I'd be a very happy boy. Even if we don't really need Seamie at the minute, I'd still love to see him in a United shirt.

I would be delighted if United bought Ross Barkley. Genuine potentially brilliant player. I'd rate him alongside Adnan as future star players playing very well even now.

I actually could see both of them in central midfield.

• Advertisement

30 million. ????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at least?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In terms of trying to buy him off a club who will not want to sell it will defo take 30 million. We'll see if he gets sold to someone at the end of the year but i'd be genuinely shocked if he went for less than 30 million.

Now what he is actually worth now, is another figure. But he will be a bargain at that price looking back in 10 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It will take that to get him especially if he goes to the WC and plays well there..

GSPfan wrote: »
    In terms of trying to buy him off a club who will not want to sell it will defo take 30 million. We'll see if he gets sold to someone at the end of the year but i'd be genuinely shocked if he went for less than 30 million.

Now what he is actually worth now, is another figure. But he will be a bargain at that price looking back in 10 years time.

You may be right. English players will always be that 5/7million more, but as things stand its huge sum especially when that money could get top quality CM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭dahat

All this talk about Barkley but where would Nick Powell fit in around if we bought him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

dahat wrote: »
    It will take that to get him especially if he goes to the WC and plays well there..

It will. Look at the prices for lesser players and 25m plus for barkley isn't outrageous. He's got incredible potential. Better than wilshere I think. I'll probably be stated by any other gooners who read that.

Coleman is starting to turn into decent player now.

Even though Ireland have struggled in most areas during the years we have always seemed to have very good fullbacks for last 25 years at least.

Coleman and Barkley and now you be talking.

If Coleman was a left back I'd be screaming for him but I wouldnt pick Coleman over Rafael so there's no real place for Coleman in a United team surely?

Rafael's return has come hand in hand with Uniteds good run of results.

dahat wrote: »
    All this talk about Barkley but where would Nick Powell fit in around if we bought him?

He wouldn't. In fairness United have such a bad run with injuries every year especially in midfield so there is plenty of games for midfielders at United even if you are second choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

28 and 21 points swings to Liverpool and Everton respectively so far this season, compared to this exact point last season.

if anybody had said that would happen, or anything remotely close to that before the season started, they'd have been shot down quicker than a hot snot.

good win yesterday, but no ground made up really. it looks like the only way we can close up the gaps now is by beating teams above us, something we have only done once so far this season and with only 2 teams left to play, that is simply horrific.

6 points is a must in the next 2 games, no excuses and then its time to really kick on and starting moving up slowly. getting top 4, is not going to be easy, but at least the gap is only 8 points to the top at the moment....we were looking at 15,2 weeks ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Barkley is grand where he is. Had injury trouble in the past. Hasn't played a huge amount of games and only a few at cm. His price is already high so waiting for his development to continue won't increase his fee massively. Last summer was the time to sign him if not prepared to wait and see how he develops at Everton.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement