Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Barkley is grand where he is. Had injury trouble in the past. Hasn't played a huge amount of games and only a few at cm. His price is already high so waiting for his development to continue won't increase his fee massively. Last summer was the time to sign him if not prepared to wait and see how he develops at Everton.

All perfectly logical if you disregard the fact that other clubs will try sign him. The idea that we can wait around and buy him whenever we see fit is not a good one in my opinion. He will be involved in a transfer saga in the Summer for sure. I just hope we are in for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Barkley is grand where he is. Had injury trouble in the past. Hasn't played a huge amount of games and only a few at cm. His price is already high so waiting for his development to continue won't increase his fee massively. Last summer was the time to sign him if not prepared to wait and see how he develops at Everton.

pretty much spot on.....barkley has alot to prove yet and people are getting carried away with him.

good player, but not there yet in terms of being the best around and that is the level United need.

he could be another Jack Rodwell for all we know.

pretty much spot on.....barkley has alot to prove yet and people are getting carried away with him.

good player, but not there yet in terms of being the best around and that is the level United need.

he could be another Jack Rodwell for all we know.

There is always room for an expensive young player at United. I don't think 25 to 30 million is much of a risk with him. He could be Jack Rodwell or he could be Wayne Rooney. I'd rather over pay for Barkley than over pay for the likes of Cabaye or Fellaini cause I reckon Barkley will hold his value even if he doesn't nail down a first team position.

Of all the realistic targets United could buy, he excites me the most. Mainly due to lack of knowledge of other targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

GSPfan wrote: »
    All perfectly logical if you disregard the fact that other clubs will try sign him. The idea that we can wait around and buy him whenever we see fit is not a good one in my opinion. He will be involved in a transfer saga in the Summer for sure. I just hope we are in for him.

Moyes brother is his agent, if that doesn't give us first refusal and the inside track into anything that's going on with him then I don't know what will. No need to be hasty with him

There is always room for an expensive young player at United. I don't think 25 to 30 million is much of a risk with him. He could be Jack Rodwell or he could be Wayne Rooney. I'd rather over pay for Barkley than over pay for the likes of Cabaye or Fellaini cause I reckon Barkley will hold his value even if he doesn't nail down a first team position.

Of all the realistic targets United could buy, he excites me the most. Mainly due to lack of knowledge of other targets.

Do you think we will get back what we paid for Anderson when he goes?

One of the best in the world at his age when signed, actually won awards to back that up too. Paid big money for him, we wont get anything like it back. All transfers are a risk and paying huge money on potential is very risky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If Coleman was a left back I'd be screaming for him but I wouldnt pick Coleman over Rafael so there's no real place for Coleman in a United team surely?

Rafael's return has come hand in hand with Uniteds good run of results.

I would. That's not saying Rafael is a bad player, he's great, but I prefer Coleman.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I would. That's not saying Rafael is a bad player, he's great, but I prefer Coleman.

Why?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

A player like Barkley is not the priority right now and it could hurt his development if he joined United (if no role is available in the team). So I think it would make sense to hold off on signing him for a year or so unless it becomes a now or never situation. That could well be this summer and then the bayern mentality of just get him in should kick in.

kryogen wrote: »
    Do you think we will get back what we paid for Anderson when he goes?

One of the best in the world at his age when signed, actually won awards to back that up too. Paid big money for him, we wont get anything like it back. All transfers are a risk and paying huge money on potential is very risky

No Anderson will not hold his value because he is injury prone. If he was always fit he may have. Bad example.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »

Fair enough. But I would never swap. Rafael is gonna be an all time United great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,661 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just to go back to the summer transfer windows crap. Why we were interested in Herrera, only god knows. Its another reason why im worried about the next summer transfer window

No Anderson will not hold his value because he is injury prone. If he was always fit he may have. Bad example.

Barkley has had injuries, how do you know he will not have long term injury problems?

If we pay 30million for Barkley, and he doesn't play well enough to be a first team player for a long time who do you think is going to buy him in a few years for 30 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Coleman has few years to catch up before he proves himself, but he at present is best full back in league on form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Why?
    I would agree with him. Similar players but I think Coleman has passed Rafael out this season. He's a better dribbler, gets involved in more attacking plays and is not quite as rash as Rafael. Now I don't think there's a whole lot between them but at the minute Coleman is staking a place for best full back in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Headshot wrote: »
    Just to go back to the summer transfer windows crap. Why we were interested in Herrera, only god knows. Its another reason why im worried about the next summer transfer window

Right, who would you sign (realistically) given the chance?

You always complain whoever we're linked to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Because he is a good player and the type of player needed.

Would United's refusal to meet the buy out clause not give some reassurance as it shows they are not going to just pay big money for a player that wasn't a priority.

Pighead wrote: »
    I would agree with him. Similar players but I think Coleman has passed Rafael out this season. He's a better dribbler, gets involved in more attacking plays and is not quite as rash as Rafael. Now I don't think there's a whole lot between them but at the minute Coleman is staking a place for best full back in the league.

Raf has not played as much this season though, I don't like to judge players simply based on current form. Form is temporary. Zabaleta is still probably the best full back in the league, Rafael wouldn't be too far off him and though Coleman is catching up I fail to see anything in him that would suggest to me he has passed Rafas level of ability at all.

I think I would like him as a right winger rather then a full back actually.

I disagree with your assessment of Rafael too but everyone is entitled to an opinion

Herrera is a tidy player, he isn't a 35million player but he would be a good addition if he can be gotten for half that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

How much do you think Adnan is 'worth' ?

Raf has not played as much this season though, I don't like to judge players simply based on current form. Form is temporary. Zabaleta is still probably the best full back in the league, Rafael wouldn't be too far off him and though Coleman is catching up I fail to see anything in him that would suggest to me he has passed Rafas level of ability at all.

I think I would like him as a right winger rather then a full back actually.

I disagree with your assessment of Rafael too but everyone is entitled to an opinion
    Have you watched many Everton games this season? Coleman has been immense. Real game changing performances. Storming up and down the right wing consistently taking it past people. I've seen Rafael do it in spurts but nowhere near as consistently as Coleman.

Rafael has had as many quiet games as good ones. For an attacking full back he doesn't create or have many attempts on goal. I do realise he hasn't played a whole lot of games this season but if he matches Coleman's level by the end of the season he'll be doing very well.

• Advertisement

We dont need any more average players, we have plenty of them in that position already. We should be going for the likes of Modric, Verratti, Matuidi, Koke, Sandro, Pogab (break the bank for) and Marchisio. These are just off the top of my head. Players who I believe will get us back the glory days of a a great CM.

double GG wrote: »

About 72million

Pighead wrote: »
    Have you watched many Everton games this season? Coleman has been immense. Real game changing performances. Storming up and down the right wing consistently taking it past people. I've seen Rafael do it in spurts but nowhere near as consistently as Coleman.

Rafael has had as many quiet games as good ones. For an attacking full back he doesn't create or have many attempts on goal. I do realise he hasn't played a whole lot of games this season but if he matches Coleman's level by the end of the season he'll be doing very well.

We wont agree and I have no interest in debating it, too tired.

We wont agree and I have no interest in debating it, too tired.
    Nice one. Another internet victory notched up by Pighead. Next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

We dont need any more average players, we have plenty of them in that position already. We should be going for the likes of Modric, Verratti, Matuidi, Koke, Sandro, Pogab (break the bank for) and Marchisio. These are just off the top of my head. Players who I believe will get us back the glory days of a a great CM.

Modric - Dynamo Zagreb.
    Veratti - Pescara.
    Matuidi - St.Ettiene.
    Sandro - Internacional.

Most of the players you mentioned are who they are because big teams had faith in their scouting system and gave them a shot. Thats what we need to do. We can't lure players away from Real Madrid, PSG, or even Atletico anymore. Koke is perfect for us, but why on earth would he leave his home town club when they are 3 points behind Barca and won 6/6 in the Champions League?

I get what you're saying and we need a big name, but we need someone to fall on our lap like Ozil did for Arsenal, and that don't look like happenin'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Madrid and PSG are circuses its not unthinkable that one or more of those players becomes available in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Cant see any player wanting to join Utd if qualication for Champions league doesnt look like happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

double GG wrote: »

10m

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Modric - Dynamo Zagreb.
    Veratti - Pescara.
    Matuidi - St.Ettiene.
    Sandro - Internacional.

Most of the players you mentioned are who they are because big teams had faith in their scouting system and gave them a shot. Thats what we need to do. We can't lure players away from Real Madrid, PSG, or even Atletico anymore. Koke is perfect for us, but why on earth would he leave his home town club when they are 3 points behind Barca and won 6/6 in the Champions League?

I get what you're saying and we need a big name, but we need someone to fall on our lap like Ozil did for Arsenal, and that don't look like happenin'!

Why cant we lure these players away? We are one of the biggest clubs in the world and the 2nd richest. We also have the most competitive league in the world. I really feel your knocking utd's strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Coleman has few years to catch up before he proves himself, but he at present is best full back in league on form.
    Zabaleta has just put you on his ignore list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Fergie retiring and being replaced by Moyes will not have helped our ability to attract the big names, and although we are the 2nd richest club in the world, our owners have yet to prove they are willing to really splash the cash should the right player become available.

RVP signing aside, we have yet to put our money where our mouth is.

I hope I'm proved wrong in the Summer transfer window. I doubt we'll do much in January.

Watching everton again. Barkley is à class act. Id love him in a utd jersey . Whats he worth. 25-30m

I meant to come back to this point earlier, did you think Barkley was that good today really? He will get headlines sure, but he was pretty poor I thought overall. Coleman was unreal today but not Barkley

CSF wrote: »
    Zabaleta has just put you on his ignore list.

Been excellent, but was piss poor few times this season.

Zabaleta is best in league, but I was talking about form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I meant to come back to this point earlier, did you think Barkley was that good today really? He will get headlines sure, but he was pretty poor I thought overall. Coleman was unreal today but not Barkley

Great free-kick obviously but he didn't actually play that well before that.

Kovačić is pretty impressive for inter since coming on.

Raymond is having another rant about RVP on twitter again.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Speaking of twitter,some guy who's friends with a few of the United players has tweeted that Alexis Sanchez could join us in January.
    Last season I would have said it was possible but this season he's a regular in the Barca team & playing well so selling him would seem odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Great free-kick obviously but he didn't actually play that well before that.

Yes he did! He has one howler close in on goal but he was involved heavily in most of Evertons attacking play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Trilla wrote: »
    Yes he did! He has one howler close in on goal but he was involved heavily in most of Evertons attacking play

I disagree. He wasn't bad but he certainly wasn't standing out. That said I have seen him play considerably better in other games.

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »

I didn't think it one of his better performances at all either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I didn't think it one of his better performances at all either

Fair enough. Someone said he didn't play well. I disagree. His second half performance was good. Some great first touches and driving runs... 1 great run on goal forcing a save on to the crossbar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Off topic but one of Hibs youth players has died,the club announced the passing of 18 yr old David Paul.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9085574/

Is it Kew that also follows Hibs?

zerks wrote: »
    Off topic but one of Hibs youth players has died,the club announced the passing of 18 yr old David Paul.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9085574/

Is it Kew that also follows Hibs?

Ya. 14 yo Hearts player died playing today too.

Puts the Rivalry into perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Modric - Dynamo Zagreb.
    Veratti - Pescara.
    Matuidi - St.Ettiene.
    Sandro - Internacional.

Players from smaller clubs we should buy. Some aren't guys who'd be instant stars but would be an improvement on what we have, and others would be guys who are quite young, so wouldn't be for now but have the potential and ability to be stars.

Nainggolan
    Jorginho
    Belhanda
    Giuliano
    Bibras Nathko
    Lars Bender
    Remy Cabella
    Griezmann
    Youri Tielemans
    Dennis Praet
    Kevin Volland

Don't really think we've got much chance of signing someone like Gundogan, Modric, Verratti (although with PSG, it would be worth a shot at him, Rabiot or Matuidi), but there's definitely guys around who we can sign, they're just not established stars like Fabregas, Vidal etc

Id like some of those players, Volland/Praet/Belhanda etc

But lots of them would be behind in the priorities of where the team needs to be improved straight away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Id like some of those players, Volland/Praet/Belhanda etc

But lots of them would be behind in the priorities of where the team needs to be improved straight away

Aye, although Nainggolan would immediately improve our midfield, Juventus, Milan, Inter are all after him, Southampton tried to sign him in the summer but he turned them down I think, and he wants to be involved in Belgiums WC squad so would definitely be up for a move to a high profile club. Wouldn't cost too much either I reckon.

Sure, he's not a creative CM, but then if we had proper wingers, you don't really need one. Him, Carrick, Fellaini would offer a solid platform to build from and to get the ball to wingers, Rooney, Januzaj, Kagawa etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Any truth in the sneijder deal being all but done??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Any truth in the sneijder deal being all but done??

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

titan18 wrote: »
    Players from smaller clubs we should buy. Some aren't guys who'd be instant stars but would be an improvement on what we have, and others would be guys who are quite young, so wouldn't be for now but have the potential and ability to be stars.

Nainggolan
    Jorginho
    Belhanda
    Giuliano
    Bibras Nathko
    Lars Bender
    Remy Cabella
    Griezmann
    Youri Tielemans
    Dennis Praet
    Kevin Volland

Don't really think we've got much chance of signing someone like Gundogan, Modric, Verratti (although with PSG, it would be worth a shot at him, Rabiot or Matuidi), but there's definitely guys around who we can sign, they're just not established stars like Fabregas, Vidal etc

Players from smaller clubs should Add. Saurez kompany and hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

@HLNinEngeland Understand that Marouane #Fellaini already underwent wrist surgery this weekend, so no back scan. He ll be out up to 6 weeks. #MUFC

https://twitter.com/HLNinEngeland/status/414919738301878272

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement