Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Barkley is grand where he is. Had injury trouble in the past. Hasn't played a huge amount of games and only a few at cm. His price is already high so waiting for his development to continue won't increase his fee massively. Last summer was the time to sign him if not prepared to wait and see how he develops at Everton.

Barkley is à class act. Sign him now. Before he gets dearer. If you cant see that. Im Not sure What to say. Oh maybe giggs and van per were injury prône

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

sigh.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

:rolleyes:

my sigh was for Fellaini tweet in case you thought it was for your post

A xx for christmas . :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ok well I'll sigh at his post then, twice actually, once for the content and once for the absolute destruction of grammar, syntax, punctuation, capitalisation and whatever else you can find in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

titan18 wrote: »
    Players from smaller clubs we should buy. Some aren't guys who'd be instant stars but would be an improvement on what we have, and others would be guys who are quite young, so wouldn't be for now but have the potential and ability to be stars.

Nainggolan
    Jorginho
    Belhanda
    Giuliano
    Bibras Nathko
    Lars Bender
    Remy Cabella
    Griezmann
    Youri Tielemans
    Dennis Praet
    Kevin Volland

Don't really think we've got much chance of signing someone like Gundogan, Modric, Verratti (although with PSG, it would be worth a shot at him, Rabiot or Matuidi), but there's definitely guys around who we can sign, they're just not established stars like Fabregas, Vidal etc

I like your list.

A big one for me though is Sebastian Rode.

:(

Out of contract in the summer as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Cheeky bid for Matuidi in January or try in the summer on the free would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I like your list.

A big one for me though is Sebastian Rode.

:(

Out of contract in the summer as well.

Rode is alright, decent player, but wouldn't you rather get someone with a bit of creativity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I wonder is Fellaini's performances connected to the wrist injury? Perhaps hes been a little concerned by it and its affected him. It may explain why hes even lost the physical side of his game since hes joined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Is it bad that I'm only looking forward to to Christmas marginally more than the match on Thursday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

bullvine wrote: »
    I wonder is Fellaini's performances connected to the wrist injury? Perhaps hes been a little concerned by it and its affected him. It may explain why hes even lost the physical side of his game since hes joined.

Id say so, you would be in 2 minds about smashing someone up and falling and damaging your fap hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

bullvine wrote: »

He's been a little limpwristed alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

we likely to have anybody back from Injury for the two games this week?

Carrick must be near to getting back anyway along with Rio and Vidic.

Buttner to Fulham on loan been linked, I'd like to see that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Is it bad that I'm only looking forward to to Christmas marginally more than the match on Thursday?

I love sport at Christmas, the soccer matches, the basketball on Christmas day - Christmas night and it is Miami Heat over in LA playing the Lakers, the horse racing...

Christmas is about the birth of Jesus, family and so on but the sport is always something that also makes it a great period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Keno wrote: »
    Cheeky bid for Matuidi in January or try in the summer on the free would be nice.

He'd be a great addition.Should be able to get him seeing as he's out of contract soon & not looking like signing another one.

A lot of talk about Koke in the press again this morning.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I love sport at Christmas, the soccer matches, the basketball on Christmas day - Christmas night and it is Miami Heat over in LA playing the Lakers, the horse racing...

Christmas is about the birth of Jesus, family and so on but the sport is always something that also makes it a great period.

I used to work for Paddy Power.....the 26th is a horrific day :(.....not anymore though :D

dont see the point in leaving him go, when Fabio has been horribly neglected by Moyes UNLESS it means baines is coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

RobertKK wrote: »
    Christmas is about the birth of Santa

Fixed your post there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Well according to Martinez Baines is not for sale.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9084822/transfer-news-everton-boss-roberto-martinez-insists-leighton-baines-is-not-for-sale

but he said as much about Baines and Fellaini during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Tough reading there catching up on the thread since my post match post on Saturday.

Not so much positivity as I had imagined there would be, I thought we were really, really good Saturday but from reading most aren't as enthused....... I had a wine fuelled conversation with another United fan last night and he reckons we'll win the league...

On the Barkley thing, if we were signing him, I'd loan him back to Everton immediately...he is learning his trade and doing it well but he is doing it a position which is currently occupied by Rooney who is some stellar form.

I had a thought there Saturday evening that is Rooney playing that no.10 role better because of the absence of RVP? Instead of driving for goal and trying to match RVPs goal count or even looking for RVP at every opportunity when too far out from goal, he is now playing a more controlled prompting role involving more players. He is also in the undisputed top man in the team and is fluorishing in the role.
    I think Cleverly has been pretty good the last few games with Rooney dropping in more...someone made a comment up above criticising how many forward passes Clev made...I don't know the exact facts but it seemed like he did a real good job holding everything together with exactly the type of passes neccessary, if it's the right pass, it's the right pass regardless of direction but I would say from watching the game once, he passed it forward plenty, again, Rooney made this possible by providing such an option as well as Adnan coming in from the wing.

Turning a Corner....good run of games....crucial xmas period...etc etc!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I'd like to see Buttner go to anywhere except the first 11 at United tbh

ericzeking wrote: »
    Not so much positivity as I had imagined there would be, I thought we were really, really good Saturday but from reading most aren't as enthused.

beating the bottom teams in the league is nothing to get too excited about. picking up points however against Spurs, Swansea, Chelsea will be something to get positive about, but until then, our record against the top teams in the league is simply appaling and its the reason people are optimistic, but cautious.

beating the bottom teams in the league is nothing to get excited about. picking up points however against Spurs, Swansea, Chelsea will be something to get positive about, but until then, our record against the top teams in the league is simply appaling..

It's not who we beat, it's how we beat them, the tactics, the strategy, and the players who implemented that strategy that I find particularly encouraging.

It's not just black or white and winning or loosing.

• Advertisement

It's not who we beat, it's how we beat them..

ah come off it, of course it matters who we beat. beating a team towards the bottom of the league, is nothing to write home about.

beat a rival 3-1 playing well and then we can get excited.

It's not who we beat, it's how we beat them, the tactics, the strategy, and the players who implemented that strategy that I find particularly encouraging.

It's not just black or white and winning or loosing.

Arah, the West Ham play/ed I'd say if we threw together a first 11 from the thread here we'd stand a fair and good chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A 5-5 draw tonight with a few red cards in the Arsenal / Chelsea game would do nicely.
    Considering how rubbish we've been,we are still only 6 points off 4th place,however we need more consistent performances.Away to Hull won't be as easy as we think,nobodies exactly torn them apart this season,especially at home.
    9 points is certainly achievable over the next week and it would stand us in good stead for the New Year.

ah come off it, of course it matters who we beat. beating a team towards the bottom of the league, is nothing to write home about.

beat a rival 3-1 playing well and then we can get excited.

I agree with you, can you imagine how excited I'll get when we beat Chelsea playing like that!!!!!

Seriously, I think in the last couple of games we look more like we have a plan and strategy, moreso than we have most of the time this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/9086172/Manchester-United-confirm-Marouane-Fellaini-has-had-a-wrist-operation

seems fellaini has had his wrist surgery probably for the best if he had that back injury anyway get it all done and him be back for the last 2 - 2 and half months hopefully fit and raring to go

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    A 5-5 draw tonight with a few red cards in the Arsenal / Chelsea game would do nicely.
    Considering how rubbish we've been,we are still only 6 points off 4th place,however we need more consistent performances.Away to Hull won't be as easy as we think,nobodies exactly torn them apart this season,especially at home.
    9 points is certainly achievable over the next week and it would stand us in good stead for the New Year.

the most pleasing aspect so far is that 2 weeks back, we were 7 minutes away from being 15 points off top. a draw tonight and its "only" 8.

we need to go on the mother of all runs though to claw that back and i think eitherway, its Citys title to lose, they are so far ahead of us right now, its scary.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rafael is back which helps Val better, Rooney is not just playing well but actually influencing the play, Welbeck links well with others especially Rooney. Defensive partnerships at centre half were good with nobody forced to cover for Rio.

I don't think strategy has changed a lot but players are stepping up and responding, showing a determination to succeed just as they have in the past. Talk from Evra, Cleverley, Evans for example show they were pissed with themselves.

the most pleasing aspect so far is that 2 weeks back, we were 7 minutes away from being 15 points off top. a draw tonight and its "only" 8.

we need to go on the mother of all runs though to claw that back and i think eitherway, its Citys title to lose, they are so far ahead of us right now, its scary.

Whats scary is Liverpool look better than City!

Its sad that we find ourselves in this position but, who would you rather win it. Pool or Citeh? I put a lot of thought into this and seeing as City already broke their duck two years back, it would pain me less if they won it again now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Seriously, I think in the last couple of games we look more like we have a plan and strategy, moreso than we have most of the time this season.

You simply cannot ignore the fact that Villa and West Ham were woeful. That Villa performance was one of the worst I have seen in years, and West Ham didn't even have a striker.

Its alright saying that in the last couple of games we looked better, well of course we did, we were allowed to. Come back to me when we look better against some good teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

imo they don't (and I say this as a Liverpool fan).
    Both are playing great stuff now, esp from an attacking standpoint, but City have serious strength in depth.
    They're still banging in the goals minus Aguero, if Liverpool were without Suarez they'd be royally f*cked.
    City V Liverpool on Stephenseses day has the potential to have a scoreline like City V Arsenal.

It's ridiculously tight at the top which is good news for the 2 sides that have underachieved, Spurs and Utd. Even though both have had their struggles neither are even remotely out of the reckoning.

Everton and Spurs both winning yesterday continues the congestion, maybe after the glut of Christmas games someone might begin to pull away and someone fall be the wayside.

na they dont. Liverpool dont have the team or the squad that City have.

by February, i guarantee you City will be 6 or 7 points at least, ahead of Liverpool.

the only advantage Liverpool have is they have no european football to distract them like the other 5 teams around them.

Liverpool are steam rolling alot of the dross at home, but the reality is once the big boys come acalling over the next few months, they will be found wanting.

I had a long post wrote out, but it got erased somehow, rather then type it all out again let me just say

meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

City will walk the league this year. Even with Suarez firing on all cylinders, he's essentially Gareth Bale-ing the LFC team. City seem to have consistent goals coming from the whole team.

I miss him so much :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Liverpool are steam rolling alot of the dross at home, but the reality is once the big boys come acalling over the next few months, they will be found wanting.

Better to be steamrolling dross at home than fluffing your lines against them. ;)

Better to be steamrolling dross at home than fluffing your lines against them. ;)

Obviously

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

MagicIRL wrote: »
    he's essentially Gareth Bale-ing the LFC team.

I disagree.

we wont win the league and will have a struggle not to drop out of the top4 before May, but we are playing well as a team and there are a lot of players performing, and performing well, so I wouldn't compare us to Spurs as they really only had one man bailing (no pun intended) them out.
    Liverpool have more about them, and we can only get better.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Its sad that we find ourselves in this position but, who would you rather win it. Pool or Citeh? I put a lot of thought into this and seeing as City already broke their duck two years back, it would pain me less if they won it again now.

Ive 1 City friend and plenty of horrid Pool fans, so the Answer is Arsenal, Chelsea, City and any other team bar Pool.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I disagree.

we wont win the league and will have a struggle not to drop out of the top4 before May, but we are playing well as a team and there are a lot of players performing, and performing well, so I wouldn't compare us to Spurs as they really only had one man bailing (no pun intended) them out.
    Liverpool have more about them, and we can only get better.

You think so?

Everything good goes through Suarez, defensively ye have looked quite suspect a lot, particularly Skrtel (who is a walking penalty waiting to happen) The midfield has actually played a bit better without Gerrard hampering it, Henderson is showing signs of becoming the midfielder I know he can be, but what will happen when Stevie is back?

Sturridge is also due to come back, who drops out of the team for him? Will that upset the team chemistry a little while he finds his feet again? If Suarez gets injured or banned I think ye will struggle to get anything from the bigger games, like I said, everything goes through him and even if he isn't on the ball he is terrifying the defence and unsettling them with his movement and tenacity.

Glen Johnson is another weak link, Lucas isn't the player he was before injury. At the moment ye are capable of ripping teams apart (particularly when they defend the way Cardiff did in the first half) but the second half of the game showed the other side too.

We have scored 42 goals and taking out Suarez 19 = 23 from other positions which is still a very healthy return and better than most teams totals in the league to date.

not everything 'goes through Surarez' imo, and I find it hard to find the slightest negative in the return of Sturridge .

the rest you are correct on, but unlike others I cant see any problem with Skrtel and the grappling which every CB does, and he is just playing the averages, and playing them well.

enough about us in the Utd thread, hey?

yep its going to be tough but after the 26th Dec we will have played all top 7 teams away from home which is why getting a result from the next two games is critical.

we then face them at home and we are playing well at Anfield with the added benefit of no other distractions.

not all doom and gloom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If United aren't going to win it then I'd be delighted to see Arsenal do it. I have a lot of respect for the club, and it would make me sick to see City or Liverpool (which I think is unlikely) take it. I don't like Abramovich or Mourinho either, so I would rather it not go to Chelsea.

So, Arsenal please. Barring some miracle gifting it to United somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Timmyctc wrote: »

City over Liverpool if I had to chose. Pool winning it would be my worst nightmare. It would get them back to within one league title of us. The pool fans I find unbearable boasts. Even when they haven't won it for 25+ years we always hear about the history and five european cups.

As annoying as City are starting to get with their billions etc they have a long way to go before they get as annoying as the Pool fans.

• Advertisement

As annoying as City are starting to get with their billions etc they have a long way to go before they get as annoying as the Pool fans.

the fact that City dont really have many fans here or anywhere apart from London and Asia, makes a difference also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement