Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

KH25 wrote: »
    Give Barkley at least the rest of the season (and possibly the WC) before people start putting ridiculous valuations on him. He looks a good prospect, but at the minute thats all he is. He's being way overhyped because he's English.
    lol yeah people soon forget andy carroll came into the league and did great for 3 months and then did nothing since. hes a good prospect but in no way worth the money being quoted just yet. its the typical modern football over hyping. cant even say its just the english cause we did it just as bad for mcclean :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

A month of rumours of new signings and end up signing Glenn Whelan :) an extension with mr Tayto and Kumho Tyres

fixed your post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

fixed your post :D

lol its mr potato not mr tayto that sponsors us :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

magnumbud wrote: »
    lol its mr potato not mr tayto that sponsors us :P

There are rumours that Mr Tayto wants to sign though :D

Dunno if he would fit in though,he can play the No 10 role as well like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Any links to who Neville chose for player/manager/team?

You can see some of it during this exchange

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

There are rumours that Mr Tayto wants to sign though :D

Dunno if he would fit in though,he can play the No 10 role as well like.

well we would make our attacking play that more crisp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

So Welbeck is fit and training as well as Carrick ahead of the boxing day match. Good news given his recent form.

Also ESPN have an interesting article on how much Januzaj impressed Moyes and co during pre-season.
    On the third day of training, one first-teamer dropped out of a training session. Former player and new United coach Phil Neville was there:

"We brought Adnan up to train with us," Neville recalled. "We could see merit in him having a bit of experience with the first team after he’d done so well last season."

What happened next stunned the watching eyes.

"Within five minutes of doing a little 7-vs.-3 possession, you could see the vision of him playing for Man United’s first team," said Neville.

"At the end of the session, all of the coaches got together. We were unanimous in our thoughts on what he’d done. He played like a Man United player. He’d wanted the ball, he was brave, he went into a tackle and smashed someone.

"Some kids are in awe when they are promoted to the first team, they pussyfoot about. Adnan looked like a Man United player. He was like 'Come on, I want more of this, I should have been in here yesterday, not today.'

"Straight away, the manager came up to me and said ‘He will be a Man United first-team player.'"

It seems we have Evra to thank for us signing Januzaj
    Januzaj, the 18-year-old Kosovo-born Belgian who was recommended to the club by Patrice Evra, attracted attention from elsewhere last season. Barcelona, who jealousy guard their own emerging youngsters from British teams who are able to offer them a contract a year earlier, enquired about him in May

This part was interesting too
    Midfielder Nick Powell, who underwhelmed United's coaches last season, is thriving at Wigan Athletic in the Championship and may be recalled in January

The article mentions players we lost out on
    Fans have heard it all before with young players. Pogba, Ravel Morrison and Zeki Fryers were all rated as outstanding and all left. Giuseppe Rossi remains the best reserve player seen in the last decade -- a player who stood out in a team that also boasted Gerard Pique -- but he too left for more chance of first-team action.

Januzaj may have been expected to go on loan for a season. That was the trend towards the end of Ferguson’s reign, when he encouraged players like Cleverley, Welbeck and Evans to go for experience, minutes, toughening up and a reality check on football away from United.

I wonder will Moyes promote players rather than loan them out.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/manchesterunited/id/3820?cc=5739

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I wonder will Moyes promote players rather than loan them out.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/manchesterunited/id/3820?cc=5739

He's making all the right noises in that regard. It sounds like he's pretty keen to bring the youth players through. Maybe trying to emulate Ferguson's early years ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Happy Christmas to you all guys.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. :pac:

Cheers+(1).gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

That post about the players we have let go in recent years shows the strength of the players we ve had in recent years in the reserves and come through the academy
    Pique, Rossi, Pogba, Tosic, Ljajic are all playing to a high standard in Europe. The likes of Shawcross, Fryers, Morrison, Danny Simpson, Phil Bardsley, Marc Wilson, Paul McShane, Craig Cathcart, Kieran Richardson, Frazier Campbell, Darren Gibson and a load of players in the championship have all passed through the academy or reserve team. Welbeck, Cleverley, Januzaj and Evans have got into the first team. Thats a very good success rate for the coaches working behind the scene.
    You would think that joining United would be a very attractive proposition for a young player when he sees how many academy players have made a good career for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

n32 wrote: »
    That post about the players we have let go in recent years shows the strength of the players we ve had in recent years in the reserves and come through the academy
    Pique, Rossi, Pogba, Tosic, Ljajic are all playing to a high standard in Europe. The likes of Shawcross, Fryers, Morrison, Danny Simpson, Phil Bardsley, Marc Wilson, Paul McShane, Craig Cathcart, Kieran Richardson, Frazier Campbell, Darren Gibson and a load of players in the championship have all passed through the academy or reserve team. Welbeck, Cleverley, Januzaj and Evans have got into the first team. Thats a very good success rate for the coaches working behind the scene.
    You would think that joining United would be a very attractive proposition for a young player when he sees how many academy players have made a good career for themselves.

Sorry for nitpicking but we never signed Ljajic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Aside from the goal threat he carries, Januzaj's style has presented a challenge to opponents: seven players -- Morgan Schneiderlin, Victor Wanyama, Wilson Palacios, Stephen Ireland, Steven Caulker, Yohan Cabaye and Matthew Lowton -- have received yellow cards for fouls committed on him and Fulham's Sascha Riether was banned for three games after kicking the 18-year-old.

Taken from the above article. Would be interesting to know the player who has drawn the most yellow cards in a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

double GG wrote: »
    Taken from the above article. Would be interesting to know the player who has drawn the most yellow cards in a season.

No idea but I'll take a guess at Ronaldo or Henry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Quite amusing Christmas song about Big Dave.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Quite amusing Christmas song about Big Dave.....

jaysus, thats horrific!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

We're hardly on tv on boxing day are we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Yep, early kickoff. SS1 I think.

Yep, early kickoff. SS1 I think.
    brilliant. Haven't got to watch a full game live in ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Have exam friday week but should be fine. So looking forward to putting feet up stephens day and watching footie and eat myself to obeisty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Timmyctc wrote: »
    We're hardly on tv on boxing day are we?

I work in England and it gets on my nerves when they talk about Boxing Day.

It will always be St Stephen's Day to me. Always.

I work in England and it gets on my nerves when they talk about Boxing Day.

It will always be St Stephen's Day to me. Always.
    arah its not even worth the extra syllable. I watch Michael Collins once a year to absolve myself of the guilt so its fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Barkley has potential but for the money needed to get him he would be well down tbe list of possible signings . It would be fantastic to get a big name signing in January but I doubt that will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭elchupanebrey

double GG wrote: »

I remember at one stage a few years back Kevin Davies was both the most fouled player and had committed the most fouls too. This has nothing to do with your question though.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Boxing Day ftw

Should be footie on everyday over xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Not sure if serious...
    Paolo Di Canio has revealed how he once turned down an approach from Sir Alex Ferguson to play for Manchester United, saying that he could never have turned his back on West Ham.

Paolo Di Canio rejected the chance to play for Manchester United through loyalty to West Ham.
    The call arrived during the festive period and Di Canio first thought it was a joke. When he realised Sir Alex was serious, he politely refused.

"It was Christmas and I got a call on my phone, and it was Ferguson," Di Canio told Italy's Fox Sport.

"You could tell from his voice that he had been drinking and he asked me if I wanted to join Manchester United.

"To begin with, I thought it was a joke from a friend and I told him where to go three times before I realised it really was him.

"I then said no. I was captain of West Ham and I couldn't accept."

I'm glad if he did turn us down, bit of a clown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Not sure if serious...

I remember there was rumors United wanted him when he was with West Ham.I think it could have been a replacement for Teddy ,dunno why I think that but it sounds right.

I can recall that too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

True story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Maybe so, but he was a scorer of great goals.

and...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

yabadabado wrote: »
    I remember there was rumors United wanted him when he was with West Ham.I think it could have been a replacement for Teddy ,dunno why I think that but it sounds right.

nope. he wanted to come but Roeder blocked the deal, it was as a replacement for Yorke who was on the verge of joining Boro because McClaren was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

n32 wrote: »

Regarding this, Gary Neville tweeted this during the West Ham game, quite impressive!
    And 4 on the bench for good measure- 12 out of 18!
    Good to see that 8 of United's starting eleven today are either English or come through the academy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Regarding this, Gary Neville tweeted this during the West Ham game, quite impressive!

Then someone mentioned that it was 7 and Nev said that he counts Rafael as homegrown coz he had been with the club since he was 14. Must have earmarked the twins really early coz I thought they didn't arrive at the club until they were 17.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Then someone mentioned that it was 7 and Nev said that he counts Rafael as homegrown coz he had been with the club since he was 14. Must have earmarked the twins really early coz I thought they didn't arrive at the club until they were 17.

They were 17 when they signed for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Mars Bar wrote: »

Ya those deals were in place for quite a long time but there some rules about South Americans not being allowed to join until there 17/18.

In the old FM's, they were joining on pre-contracts after 18 months or so but can't remember exactly.

I remember them talking about coming over and training a bit with Utd during there Brazilian off season.

EDIT: What Wikipedia Says: Manchester United got in touch with Fluminense and asked permission for the twins to travel to Manchester to train with them in 2005. The two clubs agreed a deal in February 2007; the twins moved to Manchester in January 2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Have exam friday week but should be fine. So looking forward to putting feet up stephens day and watching footie and eat myself to obeisty

Again?

Merry Christmas all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Merry Christmas, have a good one!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Merry Christmas ye filthy animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Merry Christmas. A nice win on Thursday would be a lovely present :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

What are people hopeing for City v Pool ? Draw? I suppose would be best result...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

What are people hopeing for City v Pool ? Draw? I suppose would be best result...

And a Suarez injury/incident

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

0-0 draw with both teams having goals wrongly disallowed for some reason and 4 sendings off on each team, in the 92nd minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

ElChe32 wrote: »
    And a Suarez injury/incident

I wouldn't wish injury on anyone, and I'd much prefer Liverpool to drop off because of actually playing badly rather than having their best player do something stupid and possibly hurt someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I wouldn't wish injury on anyone, and I'd much prefer Liverpool to drop off because of actually playing badly rather than having their best player do something stupid and possibly hurt someone.

Twas a tad tongue in cheek lad, pay no attention to me I'm hitting the sauce early here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anderson is off to Porto in January, been confirming this on his Twitter account.

@Ando0fficial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Part exchange for Sandro?

Part exchange for Sandro?

One would assume there is something invovled in the deal player wise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

All I can see is a fake Anderson account retweeting a tweet from the offical Porto handle that's not actually said by them when you check out their page.

I think.

Was that account not created today? I call bs

All I can see is a fake Anderson account retweeting a tweet from the offical Porto handle that's not actually said by them when you check out their page.

I think.

Maybe so, who knows, Twitter machine known to be a liar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Not a hope that's true obviously.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement