Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I think Pogba was the only one that the club should have done more to keep, the sales of Rossi and Pique helped finance transfers that enabled United to win the Champions league.

The Park/Rafael Midfield combo must go down as one of Fergies worse decisions considering he put the nail in the coffin for Pogba with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

:) Vidic is to be offered a new contract and is fit for Sunday.

Any word on Carricks contract, heard he was offered a two year as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Morrison.... Morrison is the one that hurts me! I have a good idea of why United cut ties with him, and they are (assuming true) good reasons, valid reasons.

Tell me, are these the same reasons everyone else thinks they cut ties with him? Or do you think/know/assume something else?

Just curious as the way you word it seems you know more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Trilla wrote: »
    Tell me, are these the same reasons everyone else thinks they cut ties with him? Or do you think/know/assume something else?

Just curious as the way you word it seems you know more

From what I heard:

1. Constant trouble with his friends - drinking, the car/guns issue, the witness intimidation, the possible domestic violence (though dropped in court).
    2. Constantly missing training - having agreed to change his ways and stick to a given plan - he would go back to his old ways a week later and be missing training again.

There were a few other things I had heard (and were rubbished by himself on twitter) but I won't go in to them.

Basically it was constant breaches of club discipline, and a feeling in the club that as long as he remained at United his family/friends would drag him down - he needed to get out of Manchester.

The move to London does seem to be working for him. I heard United insisted on a release clause in his WHU contract, so they maintain some interest in bringing him back - but I do wonder if we will ever actually try to do so. Would certainly be interesting to see if we would react to a bid for him from another club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Will Keane off to Wigan on loan is likely soon. Would be good move for him and might free Powell up to play midfield for them.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Will Keane off to Wigan on loan is likely soon. Would be good move for him and might free Powell up to play midfield for them.

Hopefully it is a loan move that works out for him. Gutted for him over his injury, he is a good year behind schedule now, and I always worry if a big injury like he suffered will destroy is chances of making it to the very top.

Always think Petrucci would have turned out a lot better if not for missing what seemed like the guts of 2 or 3 seasons through injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

zerks wrote: »
    :) Vidic is to be offered a new contract and is fit for Sunday.

sunday is a huge game, but with 3 away games in 8 days, its impossible to know how we will approach them. i would think we should see plenty of rotation.

would expect something along the lines of -

DDG

Rafael Vidic Evans Evra
    Janz Fell Cleverly Young
    RVP Rooney

Fabio/Buttner will definately get a game next week, prob against Leverkusen. eitherway, the next 3 games are very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

From what I heard:

1. Constant trouble with his friends - drinking, the car/guns issue, the witness intimidation, the possible domestic violence (though dropped in court).
    2. Constantly missing training - having agreed to change his ways and stick to a given plan - he would go back to his old ways a week later and be missing training again.

There were a few other things I had heard (and were rubbished by himself on twitter) but I won't go in to them.

Basically it was constant breaches of club discipline, and a feeling in the club that as long as he remained at United his family/friends would drag him down - he needed to get out of Manchester.

The move to London does seem to be working for him. I heard United insisted on a release clause in his WHU contract, so they maintain some interest in bringing him back - but I do wonder if we will ever actually try to do so. Would certainly be interesting to see if we would react to a bid for him from another club.

If Morrison turned out to be the player he is apparently capable of being and is a United fan and open to returning I wonder would it be an option to bring him back with some sort of chaparone clause in his contract whereby some experienced/sensible player would take him under his wing a bit like what Kevin Nolan was doing with Andy Carroll. I.E. you come back and play for your dream club but these are the stipulations.

Might be plausible.

• Advertisement

ericzeking wrote: »
    If Morrison turned out to be the player he is apparently capable of being and is a United fan and open to returning I wonder would it be an option to bring him back with some sort of chaparone clause in his contract whereby some experienced/sensible player would take him under his wing a bit like what Kevin Nolan was doing with Andy Carroll. I.E. you come back and play for your dream club but these are the stipulations.

Might be plausible.

Dunno - we tried getting Rio and Josh King to mentor/keep an eye on him, and it didn't work.

I think a move back to United (or Manchester area) would be dangerous for him - but if he has significantly matured and can keep himself on the straight it could work for him.

I do see it being a risk United won't take - given its potentially the best of 20million we could be looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

ericzeking wrote: »
    A bit harsh on the club/SAF....possibly Pogba in hindsight could have been given more of a try especially given our lack of numbers in midfield but his atitude just riled Fergie, he also didn't seem all that special when he was seen to warrant the place in the first team, other than that all the players you have mentioned are not at the club for pretty valid reasons and I wouldn't say anyone on our side f#cked up.

Unless of course you meant to say 'the situation got f#cked up'.

Yeah, I meant situation got ****ed up. For example we couldn't hold on to Rossi, Pique because they were so down the pecking order and the players ahead of them were so good. Morrison's was so obvious case. I'm not blaming club for that. Pogba's case was different though. Should have done better to hold on to him.
    bullvine wrote: »
    I think Pogba was the only one that the club should have done more to keep, the sales of Rossi and Pique helped finance transfers that enabled United to win the Champions league.

We got around 11 Million and I'm sure we would have spent as much money without selling anyone.

I think Pique was allowed leave cause we had Evans coming through of the back of a very good spell at Sunderland. As for Rossi, there was plenty of forwards ahead of him at time, he was never gonna get a sniff of the first team, they were good fees at the time for two reserve players.

I think Pique was allowed leave cause we had Evans coming through of the back of a very good spell at Sunderland. As for Rossi, there was plenty of forwards ahead of him at time, he was never gonna get a sniff of the first team, they were good fees at the time for two reserve players.

Pique left us after the champions league winning season.

Rossi left us in 2007, at that time we had Rooney, injured Saha, injured Solskjaer. In the last min we signed Tevez on loan.

All I'm saying we could have signed those players anyways with out selling them.

Edit: Had absolutely no chance with Pique though.

I think United probably let Rossi leave as well because they had Fraser Campbell coming through who they probably thought was a better prospect at the time and also Welbeck wasnt far away form the first team, they probably thought the money was too good to turn down. Also with Nani/Anderson coming in, it allow Ronnie freedom up top.

From what I heard:

Which is what the majority of fans knew, but thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Young players if they have potential are always going to go into the final year of their contract, that way they hold all of the aces. Its very hard, if they think their could be other options, to get them to sign early, even if you tempt them with big money as there will always be more to be earned elsewhere.

Can someone give Woodward a shout and tell him to buy Lars Bender, hes phenomenal.. Anyone agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Can someone give Woodward a shout and tell him to buy Lars Bender, hes phenomenal.. Anyone agree?

Bullvine : "hello mr Woodward, do you have a minute"?

Woodie : "errm, hello Bullvine......i guess i do."

BV: "i have a great player for you and will solve alot of our current problems, quick, strong, agile and great value if you can get in there quick.....goes by the name of Bender".

Woodie: "let me google him...ah yes, proven at top level, Champions League experience, good eye for goal...i think you are on to something, i think we can get him nice and cheap too, it seems like his club no longer have much use for him...good job Bullvine, i will throw a free Capitol one cup ticket in the post for you!".

Bullvine: "thanks Mr Woodward.....bye....." while rushing back to spread the news on boards -
    Bullvine wrote:
    lads you will never guess what, i just spoke to Ed Woodward and he said we are going to sign Bender...get the *ck in

meanwhile......

281218.jpg

Wonderful, brought a smile to my face!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Be a few posters on now to disagree with Homer ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Be a few posters on now to disagree with Homer ;)

You're the one that seems to be obsessed with saying everyone else is obsessed at ganging up on Homer.

Give it a rest. It's boring to read and usually sparks more controversy than any of Homer's comments.

Good laugh Homer, intended that way for a change :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

On the Adam Lallana thing, it's no real surprise that he's being linked to us. Man gets first England call up then gets linked to the biggest club in his country. Easy fodder for journalists that need a quick story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

And asked about his form this season, the 23-year-old Spaniard told Inside United: "I'm very happy with it. I feel like this is a particularly good moment in my career right now and I hope to continue in the same vein for some time to come.

"I feel like I'm always improving and I want to make sure that continues as well."

United boss David Moyes has been among those hailing De Gea's recent play, and the goalkeeper added: "It's very important that the manager values your work and now it's important to continue to play well and help the team.

"I'm very happy the manager praised me but, for me, the journey doesn't stop now - I want to keep earning praise and playing well for this team.

"I play for my team-mates and I play for my manager but I also play for the fans.

"When you win over a club's fans, it's a very proud moment. These are the people who pay money to come to watch you every week.

"You owe it to them to play well and give your best, so it makes me extremely happy to hear the fans singing my name."

Inside United (via UK Independent)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I can picture the text conversation now.

Woodward: "Hello Herr Sami, I will give you 15m for Lars, take it or leave it, Guten Weidersein

Hyypiä: "No"

Woodward: "10m final offer."

Viera on Pogba:

"I saw him play for Manchester United and to not have signed him when he left that club was a mistake because he is an extraordinary player.

Many tell me that (he plays like I used to).

"I think he is more attacking than me and perhaps more technically skilled."

L'Equipe (via Express)

City gonna be sniffing around in a year or two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its quite astounding that he's only 23 and he is this good. Ill say it now, if he keeps this up and progress like has been doing, he'll be better than the great Dane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Headshot wrote: »
    Its quite astounding that he's only 23 and he is this good. Ill say it now, if he keeps this up and progress like has been doing, he'll be better than the great Dane

I defo think he has the potential alright, my only fear is the better he gets the more likely his head will be turned by one of the big two back in Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Headshot wrote: »

Agreed - Without question he will be... Hell of a pair of gloves to fill, but more than capable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I defo think he has the potential alright, my only fear is the better he gets the more likely his head will be turned by one of the big two back in Spain.

Its a massive concern in my opinion, especially as both of the big Spanish two will probably be looking to replace their keepers within the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

Schmeichel had a lot more than just his goalkeeping ability. Kahn was the same. They never stopped screaming at their defence to keep them organised and they intimidated their opposition.

No matter how good keepers like VDS, Cech etc are and how good De Gea gets, I don't think we'll ever see keepers as good all round as Schmeichel and Kahn again.

IrishIrish wrote: »
    Schmeichel had a lot more than just his goalkeeping ability. Kahn was the same. They never stopped screaming at their defence to keep them organised and they intimidated their opposition.

No matter how good keepers like VDS, Cech etc are and how good De Gea gets, I don't think we'll ever see keepers as good all round as Schmeichel and Kahn again.

That can come with age and United is a good place for that ethos to be drilled into him.

Dembele making comments about being unhappy at Spurs,I reckoned we should have signed him from Fulham but if he becomes available in January he could be worth a bid.

zerks wrote: »
    Dembele making comments about being unhappy at Spurs,I reckoned we should have signed him from Fulham but if he becomes available in January he could be worth a bid.

Carrick, Fellaini, Cleverley, Anderson, Jones, Giggs, can't them adding another CM before at least two of these are gone. Anderson to be sold and Giggs to retire next summer?

Or an injury crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Dembele would be a good signing, ironically I think he'd be better suited for the position we're trying to play Fellaini in than the man himself.

His passing is almost always on the money, and tackling and interceptions as well.

You're the one that seems to be obsessed with saying everyone else is obsessed at ganging up on Homer.

Give it a rest. It's boring to read and usually sparks more controversy than any of Homer's comments.

Christ relax its light hearted humour! Its not just Homer I comment theres a few others, but no the mention of Homer and look theres an attack, well you got your thanks congrats buddy enjoy it.

well you got your thanks congrats buddy enjoy it.

Lol you couldn't resist eh.... Homers "football friend"

Joke :-P

Trilla wrote: »
    Lol you couldn't resist eh.... Homers "football friend"

Joke :-P

Oooohhh frieeeend :pac:

(Thats a joke guys dont give out now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Out of the players linked, does anyone realistically see many transfers in January?
    Baines will probably be bid for, after that it's hard to know. Lallana would be a good signing IMO but Soton would be reluctant to sell mid-season unless a big offer comes in.

Reality is with Carrick injured, CM is Fellaini, Jones, Cleverley, Anderson, Giggs and possibly Rooney (Fletcher?). Not many options particularly if there's another injury and with games piling up!

I'd say there'll be a CM signing in January, maybe not a marquee signing but a squad player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Out of the players linked, does anyone realistically see many transfers in January?
    Baines will probably be bid for, after that it's hard to know. Lallana would be a good signing IMO but Soton would be reluctant to sell mid-season unless a big offer comes in.

Reality is with Carrick injured, CM is Fellaini, Jones, Cleverley, Anderson, Giggs and possibly Rooney (Fletcher?). Not many options particularly if there's another injury and with games piling up!

I'd say there'll be a CM signing in January, maybe not a marquee signing but a squad player.

would say baines or coentrao will be bid for again and this time maybe get one of them. and could see a CM too maybe someone along the lines of cabaye rather than a major name as you say. but saying all that i wouldnt be surprised of no deal cause its january and we never really do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Think league position will come into it, if Moyes is under huge pressure surely he`ll strenghten

That is partly my fear. At CM we have a load of 'squad' quality players already - and I would class Fellaini in that bracket - we need a top level signing to elevate the level of our midfield in the big games, not just another one to plug gaps as they appear. I would fear wasting money, and the squad place, on another 'ok' midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

nuxxx wrote: »
    Think league position will come into it, if Moyes is under huge pressure surely he`ll strenghten

we will be 1st come jan 1st. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

IrishIrish wrote: »
    I don't think we'll ever see keepers as good all round as Schmeichel and Kahn again.

In his book, Fergie rated VDS as high as Schmeichel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Fergie said a lot of things in his book

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

do people think we can atract world class players with a manager who has won nothing?

Fergie being a Troll, should not even be up for debate. Fergie says it himself though, Goalkeepers were his week point.

jambofc wrote: »
    do people think we can atract world class players with a manager who has won nothing?

Meh, Chelsea signed Hazard when they had no manager and ManCity signed lot of stars with Mancini in charge.

Also AVB signed Mata and few more very good players for Spurs.

Liverpool signed Suarez with Dalglish in charge.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement