Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Cheers

Big conundrum for me as the Gary Anderson v MVG game is on same time as united and I'd have too get a stream for the united game which bugs me!
    Sickened it's clashing but United win out every time for me. Darts on record. Sky plus is right up there with the best inventions of all time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Giggs central with Kagawanon the left by the look of it.

Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Sickened it's clashing but United win out every time for me. Darts on record. Sky plus is right up there with the best inventions of all time :)

that and the wheel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

We're awful :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Lack of width and balance to the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

What annoys me the most about Evra is that he's always the first to come out and say that the players need to step up and perform for the manager/fans/whoever.

**** off.

Focus on your own performance before saying what other people should be doing and stop pretending like you actually care what happens. ****ing ****e again today.

nearly as bad as my stream!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

beno619 wrote: »
    Lack of width and balance to the side.

Common theme this yr when giggs is involved. Moyes does not know how to balance a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Whats hard about this?

Carrick and Clev in the middle
    Young on the right, Giggs on the left
    Kagawa in the hole

Hernandez cannot be left so isolated, he is ineffectual, same for Kagawa, let him take the ball in an advanced central position and he will find a good ball more often then not.

What we are doing isn't working anyway that's for sure.

Try play to the players on the fields strengths maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You can tell there's something seriously wrong when Norwich play better football than you.

It's so bad, slowing the play down completely, give it out to the wing, attempt a cross, rinse and repeat.

I wouldn't teach 9 year olds to play this way, surely someone at United can see how wrong it is.

the players playing today are better than this but it's the way we're playing that's not working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Well, I should have just watched the darts. This is pathetic.
    Evra should be hauled off, absolute joke of a defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

We are so, so, so bad.

Any manager with a set of testicles would haul Evra off at half time but Moyes doesn't possess those.

I'm not even that angry at Evra. When you think about it, we've run him into the ground over the last few seasons and he's now 32. Far too many miles on the clock and we keep playing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

J. Marston wrote: »
    We are so, so, so bad.

Any manager with a set of testicles would haul Evra off at half time but Moyes doesn't possess those.

He also doesn't possess a decent backup so his hands are kind of tied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Can't wait to hear about Cleverleys pass completion stats after this one.

Moyes needlessly upset the defence , Fabio should have played and we need two wide men.
    Starting giggs in midfield is always a recipe for disaster.

Passes attempted 32, passes complete 31

97% passing accuracy

#xavi
    #tikitaca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

97% pass completion, most touches out of all the midfielders on the pitch. There are players playing far worse than him. He's actually doing his main job in so far as United are dominating possession. It's Kagawa, Giggs and Young are the major problems, they are not creating a thing for all the possession we have and Hernandez isn't getting a sniff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Blatter wrote: »
    97% pass completion, most touches out of all the midfielders on the pitch. There are players playing far worse than him. He's actually doing his main job in so far as United are dominating possession. It's Kagawa, Giggs and Young are the major problems, they are not creating a thing for all the possession we have and Hernandez isn't getting a sniff.

Isn't it amazing how utterly ineffectual a midfielder with 97% pass completion can be? It's a talent, it really is.

7 key passes all season. Ozil made 10 in his only to 2 appearances for Madrid, he came off at half time in one of them.

Who cares though when you can pass to your defenders 600 times and rack up awesome pass completion stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Dannyyyyyyyyy

Get in there Danny!! Don't sit back now! Drive on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Blatter wrote: »

You are kidding right? You think Cleverley is doing a good job today as of 60 min in this game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    You are kidding right? You think Cleverley is doing a good job today as of 60 min in this game?

He's been nothing special but no where near one of United's worst players.

Welbeck has made some difference since coming on, completely flipped the game on it's head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

12/12 over Christmas. Can't ask for more!

6 wins in a row would leave you believing we've been playing well, it's far from the truth.

Praying we hit form sometime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Good to see Welbeck finding his 11/12 form. Takes some of the pressure off Rooney and RVP who have had to score too many goals this season compared to rest of rest of the team.

On the performance, I understand the frustrations. If United were more expansive we would have more points, Cardiff or Southampton as examples of losing points late on and just trying to sneak the win.

Today though, under the circumstances I only wanted a win and didn't care about the performance. Missing two best players, missing Nani, no Rafael again, no Fellaini. Carrick only back from injury. Played a game only two days ago ( yeah I know Norwich did as well).

The type of performance used meant little if three important points were achieved and happy to sneak a win all things considered.

Performances need to improve for sure but that should be over time when new players are brought in and more importantly best players are all fit. Especially the latter.

I don't expect others to agree its just my own opinion so don't go mental on me :-P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Last game, we relied on an own goal to win. This we relied on a lucky bounce.

Really disheartening win and preformance. Defence couldn't clear the ball, and Evra and Smalling were beyond useless in the first half. Midfield lacked any creativity, often bypassing Kagawa to hoof it up to Hernandez, leaving both starved compeltly. And that nonsense of going ultra negative near the end had me in bits. I nearly threw my ipad at my TV when Young and Evra started celebrating winning a freekick in injury time, like it was Barca or Real we were holding on against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Danny Welbecks best 45 minutes for.United. Much more like what I expect.

Awful display overall by team though De Gea aside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Not the prettiest of performances but we'll take the 3 points! 2 games in 48 hours and our most influential player missing I knew it'd be tough but thankfully pulled it off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Ill take those 3 points with a slight heart attack :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

As it stands.

948d9be80d9d009c2741b66a3af4caa0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Awful performance again.

Chico having to drop back into midfield and link up play is a farce. That kid is a box poacher. Fighting for balls on the half way line is not his game. I would not feel sorry for him if he wanted to move

Cleverley had a great game again. Really dictated play,his forward passing caused massive problems, he defended well Thank god Norwich are a top side and Cleverely lets his skills shine again. Roll on Lisbon

Al Capwned wrote: »
    As it stands.

948d9be80d9d009c2741b66a3af4caa0.png

Would expect it to be the same after tomorrow as well. I'm thinking draws between Arsenal/Newcastle and Pool/Chelsea with an Everton win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Last game, we relied on an own goal to win. This we relied on a lucky bounce.
    This is such a simplisitic way of looking at things. Hull scored from a corner that shouldn't have been and relied on a game of pinball in our box to go two up. We then scored two excellent goals and should have had more. We can all play this game.

Today, Moyes tried to rest some players and has just about gotten away with it. I'm not overly worried about today's performance considering the players we had missing.

If we had played this way with Rooney, RVP, Raf, Welbeck, Januzaj on the pitch, I'd have been worried.

BTW, is Nani injured?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Ill take those 3 points with a slight heart attack :)

3 points is 3 points and winning ugly brings the same reward as winning pretty.

but play like that against one of the bigger performing teams and it might get ugly.

BTW, is Nani injured?

Yeah, hamstring I think.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    3 points is 3 points and winning ugly brings the same reward as winning pretty.

but play like that against one of the bigger performing teams and it might get ugly.

It was being banded around by every commentator I could think off last season that "A team that wins when playing poorly is a good team" is something along those lines. These days, minus Fergie, it's been kept rather quiet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Yeah, hamstring I think.
    Pity, as it was obvious that pace was going to hurt Norwich. No surprise that Welbeck and Young were our two most threatening players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

So another three points checked off the list with 6 wins in a row. A clean sheet.

01 Jan Barclays Premier League Tottenham Hotspur H 17:30
    05 Jan FA Cup Swansea City H 16:30
    07 Jan Capital One Cup Sunderland A 19:45
    11 Jan Barclays Premier League Swansea City H 17:30
    19 Jan Barclays Premier League Chelsea A 16:00
    22 Jan Capital One Cup Sunderland H 19:45
    25 Jan FA Cup FA Cup fourth round
    28 Jan Barclays Premier League Cardiff City H 19:45

01 Feb Barclays Premier League Stoke City A 15:00
    09 Feb Barclays Premier League Fulham H 16:00

Our next 9/10 games. Some very winnable games in there.

Get Rooney and RVP back together.

Possible dip into the transfer market.

Carrick and Fletcher with a few more games under their belts.

So maybe there is a bit of light up ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Only 7 points off top? Title in the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

We were lucky today but 3 points is 3 points.

Moyes team selection from the start was not great but we have injuries and I think he wants to rotate during this busy period. Lets remember our two top players were not on the pitch and this team beat a Fergie UTD, we have had problem with central strenght at Carrow road before.

So many players didn't turn up. Evra, Giggs, Clev, Kagawa and Chico got no service because of it.

Moyes was sensible enough to make the change at half time and it worked but we never looked in control over the 90 mins but this is a run and players are to come back. No problem with the time wasting at the end as our main striker were out and we were not creating much, the change was a little early for my liking (84th min). 88th or 89th under Fergie

Welbeck and Adnan should have been on from the start. Giggs should not have been.

Evra and Clev were the bottom of the pile today, got overun and struggled. Clevs short sidewyas passing was fine or what we expect but he created little and without the ball he was turned more than once and let Norwich in behind him . How people are willing to ignore these limitations in his game baffles me. Evra was caught cold too.

We need Baines or Shaw, Giggs to be retired and two new CM signings. I'd have no problems with Ando and another player being sold, maybe Clev, to fund those new players. We have Carrick, Fellaini, Clev and Fletch plus two more hopefully leaving us with 6 MF's and we don't need Ando if that happens.

Kagawa is letting me down which hurts because I like him a lot. He is a very good player but I can find any excuses for him if this continues, he is bullied too easily and as it stands he is not working out. His best two games for us this season have arguably been against Leverkusen which would suit him, German opposition and all that. I am willing to wait until we get more solid players behind him because he does have bags of ability and the lack of quality behind him is not helping.

Lets hope this run continues into the new Year and a couple of signings could see us get back into it but I can't see anyone catching City.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

I think the next 3 league games will make or break our season. 7 points is a must otherwise we may struggle to get 4th spot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Nice result, things are finally looking up but when do the excuses stop with Kagawa? No impact yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Robson99 wrote: »
    I think the next 3 league games will make or break our season. 7 points is a must otherwise we may struggle to get 4th spot

Spurs and Swansea at home. With an FA and carling cup tie in between before Chelsea away. January is very busy for us and could upset our league progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Bad and all as our performances have been lately, its the ability to win ugly that has won us titles. Look at Arsenal for example over the last few years. How many times have they come unstuck in games like today? You cant always play good stuff, when the team is going badly you just have to dig out the results. In Moyes defence, he had such a horror show of a fixture list at the start of the season that he ended up on the back foot straight away. Its a good sign that the character of old is still there and we can still get a result when things are against us. Remember that today we were without Rooney, RVP, Nani, Fellaini, Rafael, Jones, Valencia and Carrick making a comeback after a long layoff. Thats a fair lot of important players to be missing. Semi final of League Cup, CL 2nd round and moving up the table while playing badly, onwards and upwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Don't be baiting or you'll get a yellow.

This goes for everyone who is trying to start the Cleverley debate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It's interesting that our next three games in the league see us back facing Top 10 teams, which is where we've struggled. Our form against the lower half teams doesn't leave me very optimistic though. be interesting to see if Jose shows us too much respect again though and go for the 0-0 he seems to love when playing against bigger teams....

I'm also interested to see how quick or slow our progress into the transfer market goes. Give how we have danger zones identified, I'd be disappointed if Moyes and co. haven't been working on transfers since September, and I'll be upset if we're back to deadline day drama. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Seriously don't get now Evra is still a man utd player, he's a complete liability at left back. He defends so badly its not even funny. Good to see Carrick getting minutes plus Fletcher getting a good run over xmas. Players coming back from injury layoffs should see our performances improve over the next couple of weeks. The fans at games seem to be a lot more vocal in their support this season which is great as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Seriously don't get now Evra is still a man utd player, he's a complete liability at left back. He defends so badly its not even funny. Good to see Carrick getting minutes plus Fletcher getting a good run over xmas. Players coming back from injury layoffs should see our performances improve over the next couple of weeks. The fans at games seem to be a lot more vocal in their support this season which is great as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Seriously don't get now Evra is still a man utd player, he's a complete liability at left back. He defends so badly its not even funny.

It's like the peripheral vision in his left eye is broke or something. He's just letting players run in behind him way too often.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement