Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Liverpool have had a tough run and we've had it easy enough and they are still ahead.

When we start playing the top/mid table teams for the second time we'll find out where we stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Chelsea win for me, anyone but Liverpool or City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    People saying we should bid for Gundogan in January do you not know he hasn't played a game since August with a back injury.? They say he's targeting a return towards the end of January . Best leave him till the summer imo.

I bet you most didn't even know.

It's been mentioned in here every time he's brought up. So I'm sure the majority do know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Liverpool have had a tough run and we've had it easy enough and they are still ahead.

When we start playing the top/mid table teams for the second time we'll find out where we stand.

Liverpool players are playing more or less at their best so far this season, bar rooney none of the united players are. Personally i can't see them keeping up the levels and united playing as badly

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If Marco Reus is open to joining United then United should pay the money for him, even if his buyout clause is said to be £40 million.
    He scores lots of goals and provides lots of assists and still young.

RobertKK wrote: »
    If Marco Reus is open to joining United then United should pay the money for him, even if his buyout clause is said to be £40 million.
    He scores lots of goals and provides lots of assists and still young.

Bayern offered him more money but he stayed, he's one of those who'll stay as long as they compete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

It's the flavour of the month currently. All aboard the bandwagon thanks whoring!

I'm of the opinion we don't need a world class midfielder in January, only someone who can directly improve the midfield should be considered, which at this moment is pretty much anyone.

Bayern offered him more money but he stayed, he's one of those who'll stay as long as they compete.

Hopefully it was due to him not liking Bayern...well one can dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

I was surprised we never went in for Gustavo last season. He moved to a fairly average German team for €20 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Happy with that result. Let City, Arsenal and Chelsea fight for the PL. 4th place is wide open for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Headshot wrote: »
    Happy with that result. Let City, Arsenal and Chelsea fight for the PL. 4th place is wide open for us

Would Love LFC to get 5th too. One game at a time for us now. A player in January and the end of the season could be a lot better than expected :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The league table looks a lot better. Beating Spurs would be really sweet now. Finishing above Liverpool is one thing I really care about now because of all the mouthing over the last Month. Facebook should be a lot quieter now. Apart from all the claims of cheating refs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

GSPfan wrote: »
    The league table looks a lot better. Beating Spurs would be really sweet now. Finishing above Liverpool is one thing I really care about now because of all the mouthing over the last Month. Facebook should be a lot quieter now. Apart from all the claims of cheating refs

Thats all it is now, apparently he still supports United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Those six points dropped against Everton and Newcastle really show when you look at the league table now. Need a strong second half of the season.

• Advertisement

Another no show from Suarez only turns up against the likes of Norwich and Spurs ;)

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Those six points dropped against Everton and Newcastle really show when you look at the league table now. Need a strong second half of the season.

Id add Southampton and West Brom to the list as well. Some really ludicrous performances this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »

Those 2 results bug me more then any this season.

Even 1 win from these and we be looking much better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Tbh, it's the 2 we dropped to Cardiff that rile me up the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Too many stupid results to keep a track of, to be honest. Hard to pick one out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Tbh, it's the 2 we dropped to Cardiff that rile me up the most.

Newcastle game for me. I expected a reaction after the Everton game and we didn't get it. In past years you'd put your house on United the game after a loss. Hopefully that drive and fear is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

beno619 wrote: »
    Another no show from Suarez only turns up against the likes of Norwich and Spurs ;)

Liverpool being found out as flat track bullies,they've hammered teams who played poorly against them but when it's put up to them they come up short.
    Despite our play being desperate for 90% of the season we are just outside the top 4 and only 8 points off top with our top players to return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

GSPfan wrote: »

is funny you say that as ive just noticed how much utd fans are beginning to pop outta the woodwork again having been so quiet last 2 months . If you told me at xmas we would top of league and utd just above mid table i wouldnt have believed you. What a difference 4 days makes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

BcrD-AfCUAEwSOG.jpg

viper006 wrote: »
    is funny you say that as ive just noticed how much utd fans are beginning to pop outta the woodwork again having been so quiet last 2 months . If you told me at xmas we would top of league and utd just above mid table i wouldnt have believed you. What a difference 4 days makes :(

Haven't noticed any popping up where on the other hand Liverpool fans were like mushrooms.By the way they were gloating you'd swear Santa was handing them the EPL trophy.

United fans have been quietly pleased at how things have gone,we've nothing to crow about as our play is still pretty poor but we are getting results.You won't see too many facebook posts about us going to beat the world.

I still remember when Liverpool beat us 4-1 at OT & having to listen to my Liverpool supporting mates proclaiming that we were done,my answer was "wait 'til May and get back to me".Funny how the silence from them was deafening at the end of that season.

Fans of teams that have won the EPL know the craic,they don't go making proclamations in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

zerks wrote: »
    Haven't noticed any popping up where on the other hand Liverpool fans were like mushrooms.By the way they were gloating you'd swear Santa was handing them the EPL trophy.

United fans have been quietly pleased at how things have gone,we've nothing to crow about as our play is still pretty poor but we are getting results.You won't see too many facebook posts about us going to beat the world.

I still remember when Liverpool beat us 4-1 at OT & having to listen to my Liverpool supporting mates proclaiming that we were done,my answer was "wait 'til May and get back to me".Funny how the silence from them was deafening at the end of that season.

Fans of teams that have won the EPL know the craic,they don't go making proclamations in December.

Quietly pleased, are you having a laugh? :) Maybe I've imagined the complete cluster**** this thread has been, I even saw one clown call for Moyes' head when you were 2-0 down to Hull even though there was roughly 70 mins left in the game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Liverpool being found out as flat track bullies,they've hammered teams who played poorly against them but when it's put up to them they come up short.
    Despite our play being desperate for 90% of the season we are just outside the top 4 and only 8 points off top with our top players to return.

They lost away to City and Chelsea, by a goal in each case so nothing to be ashamed of!

Its unfair to say other teams only played poorly against them, they outplayed the opposition is more accurate and deserve credit. If United scored more goals than anyone else in 2013 we would all be crowing about it.

They have good players, a small squad but good chances to prepare for games without Europe to worry about. Were never going to won the league imo but should cause problems for everyone and realistically are looking to get Champions League football. They way they have improved and style used is actually what many United fans want from Moyes.

Sorry that's enough about another team,

Looking at our final 7 games in the league, there's a few tough ones but you wouldn't get much easier in a random draw.

Surely our form has to get better than our first half of the season, it's up to the players and manager but the second half is set up well with the FA Cup, league cup, Olympiacos in the CL and only being 8 points off top after the start we had.

Quietly pleased, are you having a laugh? :) Maybe I've imagined the complete cluster**** this thread has been, I even saw one clown call for Moyes' head when you were 2-0 down to Hull even though there was roughly 70 mins left in the game.

You know as well as I do that there's always a few who go bananas.What I meant was that things now look so much better now than a couple of months ago,sure we aren't tearing the league up but the games we were throwing away earlier are now becoming wins.Not nice 4 or 5 nil wins but wins none the less.
    We are climbing up the league as other teams slip up or take points off each other.Whereas top 4 not so long ago was a hope,now it's very achievable and with some January reinforcements and an improvement in our play perhaps even a push for higher.The teams at the top won't want to have us back in the mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

You know as well as I do that there's always a few who go bananas.What I meant was that things now look so much better now than a couple of months ago,sure we aren't tearing the league up but the games we were throwing away earlier are now becoming wins.Not nice 4 or 5 nil wins but wins none the less.
    We are climbing up the league as other teams slip up or take points off each other.Whereas top 4 not so long ago was a hope,now it's very achievable and with some January reinforcements and an improvement in our play perhaps even a push for higher.The teams at the top won't want to have us back in the mix.

Look at my posts in the pool thread and you'll see that I agree, it was stupid to write Man U off, just as it's stupid to write the pool off now. It's still anyone's game, and it can all change within a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

I read 3 posts on the last 2 pages that have come across pretty aggressive and relised they are all from you.You clearly hate liverpool for the exact same things utd fans have been doing to liverpool fans for ages... theres has been endless screaming here about moyes getting the sack and utd are doomed to finish outside top 4 so youd do well to follow your own advice. setup for a great 2nd half of the season all the same, utd have great momentum. spurs will be a big challenge but i think yee will beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hopefully Spurs are knackered

In Moyes we trust....

We had some really bad results, some great results, but at times the team have let Moyes down in my opinion.
    3 points off the top 4 with a goal difference to make up, we can't afford any mistakes.
    Given the terrible transfer season last summer and the injuries, we can't complain too much at this moment - the premier league is still alive, topped the CL group and got a good draw for next round, in the semi finals of the league cup and the FA cup still to come.
    It could be a lot worse but we all know we need a decent midfielder brought in this January, a left back too wouldn't go astray.

Apart from the league position in 6th going into the new year, one can't complain about Moyes, just hope in the new year the team plays far better.

The form of some players has improved recently too - Welbeck and Young, I would have wanted Young out but I like how he played in the last few games and that gives some hope that maybe the form in general might be improving for the team.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Apart from the league position in 6th going into the new year, one can't complain about Moyes, just hope in the new year the team plays far better.

This is the big one for me, we need to start playing something that resembles football again, we dont create nearly as many chances as we need to even when we do have large chunks of possession.

Thankfully I think dropping one player could change all that once Fletch is fit enough to start games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

beno619 wrote: »
    This is the big one for me, we need to start playing something that resembles football again, we dont create nearly as many chances as we need to even when we do have large chunks of possession.

Thankfully I think dropping one player could change all that once Fletch is fit enough to start games.

Cant see Fletcher creating much more than Cleverly tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

keane2097 wrote: »
    Kagawa is a link player, ie his forte is linking the midfield with the attack.

If the midfield is ****e, and the attack is ****e, the outcome of linking the two is quite likely to be ****e.

On a related note, Hernandez is ****e.

Take out the bit about Hernandez being ****e and your spot on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Has anyone come across any stats re. how many goals Utd have scored from open play vs set pieces this year?

Robson99 wrote: »
    Cant see Fletcher creating much more than Cleverly tbh

Him and Carrick have been effective in the past, also have to assume he can get back to his best but...

Wouldn't be hard, he would literally just have to pass the ball forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

We had a tough run at the start. We've all played all the teams once. The points difference is minimal. Weird post.

Down the line, when we have fewer injuries and other teams get them, a lot of these teams will come in towards us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Anyone think we'll go back in for Coentrão next month? Has he been playing regularly for Real this season?

Didn't realise Barca had first option on Koke who's buy out clause maybe just €23m

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/koke-to-man-united-la-liga-expert-on-why-e24m-would-be-an-absolute-bargain/

According to this we already enquired and his buyout clause is now 36m or 60m :confused:

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/atletico-try-and-fight-manchester-united-off-after-they-make-koke

He looks like a very tough signing now.

From memory Barca seem to have got first refusal on Oli Torres in the Villa deal (which was super business) which is another reason the price was quite low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Anyone think we'll go back in for Coentrão next month? Has he been playing regularly for Real this season?

Only played 4 times according to the sources I'm reading, and with the rumours of Ashley Cole to Madrid, surely he's on his way to United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

First option or first refusal are merely statements that the club in question will be contacted when a bid is accepted and can make the same bid and it's automatically accepted. Quite meaningless in the larger scale of things imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

viper006 wrote: »
    I read 3 posts on the last 2 pages that have come across pretty aggressive and relised they are all from you.You clearly hate liverpool for the exact same things utd fans have been doing to liverpool fans for ages... theres has been endless screaming here about moyes getting the sack and utd are doomed to finish outside top 4 so youd do well to follow your own advice. setup for a great 2nd half of the season all the same, utd have great momentum. spurs will be a big challenge but i think yee will beat them.

Laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Has anyone come across any stats re. how many goals Utd have scored from open play vs set pieces this year?

whoscored.com is a good one for that.

Link below is for Man United's stats so far

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/32/Statistics/England-Manchester-United

They have really detailed post game stats too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

Delboy5 wrote: »

been linked with Alex Sandro for Porto aswell

jebus84 wrote: »
    been linked with Alex Sandro for Porto aswell

Would welcome him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

MEN reporting that we are going to go for Barkley in January. The figure they say we think will be enough to 'get Everton to the negotiating table'.....FIFTY MILLION.

I like Barkley, but that figure is some freaking joke. About twice what he should be available at, and even at 25million it would be a big enough gamble.

50million... feck off.

Some other paper (can't remember which) linking us with moves for Koke and Alonso.

I wonder if Moyes would try Evra out as a left winger if we got a new left back.
    Well he did play as a striker once upon a time, and that was a lovely goal in the league cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Non runner with Barkley.

Doubt Alsono would come. Koke maybe

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement