Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

MEN reporting that we are going to go for Barkley in January. The figure they say we think will be enough to 'get Everton to the negotiating table'.....FIFTY MILLION.

I like Barkley, but that figure is some freaking joke. About twice what he should be available at, and even at 25million it would be a big enough gamble.

50million... feck off.

Some other paper (can't remember which) linking us with moves for Koke and Alonso.
    MEN talking **** then. There is literally no way that any team is in for him at €25th, let alone €50m.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

MEN reporting that we are going to go for Barkley in January. The figure they say we think will be enough to 'get Everton to the negotiating table'.....FIFTY MILLION.

I like Barkley, but that figure is some freaking joke. About twice what he should be available at, and even at 25million it would be a big enough gamble.

50million... feck off.

Some other paper (can't remember which) linking us with moves for Koke and Alonso.

Send the fifty million to Atletico and get Koke if that is what it takes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Spurs apparently want to take Buttner on loan - Genoa have also enquired about him. Goodbye and Good Luck Buttner...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

viper006 wrote: »
    I read 3 posts on the last 2 pages that have come across pretty aggressive and relised they are all from you.You clearly hate liverpool for the exact same things utd fans have been doing to liverpool fans for ages... theres has been endless screaming here about moyes getting the sack and utd are doomed to finish outside top 4 so youd do well to follow your own advice. setup for a great 2nd half of the season all the same, utd have great momentum. spurs will be a big challenge but i think yee will beat them.

Aggressive?? I beg to differ.Just stated facts.

The endless screaming about sacking Moyes has been from the same few posters who pop in now & again,usually only after a bad result.I had a quick look in the Liverpool thread & the place was like somebody had let the inmates run the asylum.
    Liverpool topped the league for a couple of days & you lot went nuts.Come back when ye've won the thing & we'll discuss bragging rights.Over the past few years,how many Utd. fans have you seen celebrating being top on Xmas day on facebook?

I won't go any further on this topic as this isn't the place.

btw did we get ever get our money back from Atletico on that deposit on Falcao? :p :pac:

Mirror reporting that Hull want Powell & United want to see how he'll cope playing regularly in the Premier League.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

So fcuking pissed at been overrun in midfield by the big boys that I don't really give two hoots on prices, just sign them ffs. Thinking like that stopped us making signings for a number of seasons now. The club needs to make a statement signing anyway. Saying that, in no way do I think Ross Barkley is worth near that, but clubs know how stuck we are in certain positions, plus he has English tax added on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

zerks wrote: »
    Mirror reporting that Hull want Powell & United want to see how he'll cope playing regularly in the Premier League.

I like see that happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Give Dortmund Kagawa and Hernandez for Gundogan and Reus. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,397 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So fcuking pissed at been overrun in midfield by the big boys that I don't really give two hoots on prices, just sign them ffs. Thinking like that stopped us making signings for a number of seasons now. The club needs to make a statement signing anyway. Saying that, in no way do I think Ross Barkley is worth near that, but clubs know how stuck we are in certain positions, plus he has English tax added on.

my issue is that if we are willing to spend 50 million on Barkley (I don't believe we are...) then it is 50million that could be better used.

I want us to spend big if needed, on the right player (Fabregas for example), not just spend big to prove that we can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Koke, on incredible form, leaving his home nation and a team flourishing at the moment before the World Cup would be mental.

Throw enough money at it though and it will work.

Koke, on incredible form, leaving his home nation and a team flourishing at the moment before the World Cup would be mental.

I think some sort of deal should be done, even if that means Koke doing a Zaha and spending the rest of the season at Atletico.

So long as Woodward realises it's a player he's doing a deal for & not a sponsorship deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

zerks wrote: »

Would be a good move I guess. He has done exceptionally well
    for Wigan this year and the Europa League experience will do him the world of good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

RobertKK wrote: »
    btw did we get ever get our money back from Atletico on that deposit on Falcao? :p :pac:

Transferred it on to Oliver Torres now I believe, that will be for the 2014 summer transfer rumours though, all about Koke now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Listening to Mourinho on MOTD complaining about the amount of ex liverpool players on TV panels got me thinking about the routes ex United players have gone down after retiring. A serious amount of our former players have gone down the coaching route compared to media work. Giggs, Scholes, Butt, P Neville, G Neville (with England), Roy, Ince, Bruce, Robson, McClair, Solskjaer, Berg, Darren Ferguson, Mike Phelan , Van der Gouw ,and I know i m forgetting some, have all worked as managers/coaches. Fergie must have had a major impact on these lads!!

Lot of ex Ireland players in media or spot light too.

my issue is that if we are willing to spend 50 million on Barkley (I don't believe we are...) then it is 50million that could be better used.

I want us to spend big if needed, on the right player (Fabregas for example), not just spend big to prove that we can.

Believe me Mitch, it's the same issue I have. Penny pinching last summer and bidding ridiculous amounts for cesc annoyed me so so much. If, and I am going in speculation at the time the deal fell through because of something like £5m, and yet overpaid for fellaini by £3.5m. This is bs, and the club no longer has the fear factor now, and teams come to OT thinking they can get a result (and getting one).

I think indulgent signings like Barkley make statements and will also vastly improve our midfield options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

n32 wrote: »
    Listening to Mourinho on MOTD complaining about the amount of ex liverpool players on TV panels got me thinking about the routes ex United players have gone down after retiring. A serious amount of our former players have gone down the coaching route compared to media work. Giggs, Scholes, Butt, P Neville, G Neville (with England), Roy, Ince, Bruce, Robson, McClair, Solskjaer, Berg, Darren Ferguson, Mike Phelan , Van der Gouw ,and I know i m forgetting some, have all worked as managers/coaches. Fergie must have had a major impact on these lads!!

Hughes, Davenport, Viv Anderson, Stapelton, Strachan, Chris Turner, Mark Robins, Kanchelskis, Chris Casper, Henning Berg, Laurent Blanc, Larsson and Michael Appleton to name a few others!

• Advertisement

Believe me Mitch, it's the same issue I have. Penny pinching last summer and bidding ridiculous amounts for cesc annoyed me so so much. If, and I am going in speculation at the time the deal fell through because of something like £5m, and yet overpaid for fellaini by £3.5m. This is bs, and the club no longer has the fear factor now, and teams come to OT thinking they can get a result (and getting one).

I think indulgent signings like Barkley make statements and will also vastly improve our midfield options.

Spunking that kind of money on a player like Barkley makes a statement alright, not sure we agree on what that statement is though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Blatter wrote: »
    Hughes, Davenport, Viv Anderson, Stapelton, Strachan, Chris Turner, Mark Robins, Kanchelskis, Chris Casper, Henning Berg, Laurent Blanc, Larsson and Michael Appleton to name a few others!

ALways handy to have another poster on hand to emphasise your point!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

In Moyes we trust....

Apart from the league position in 6th going into the new year, one can't complain about Moyes, just hope in the new year the team plays far better.

Couldn't disagree more. There is plenty to complain about with Moyes and I still contend that he's the wrong man for the job.

Results have been better in the last month but performances tactics etc remain awful. Utd have stumbled to sixth place. They have in no way indicated that they are better prepared for the second half of the season than they were the first.

I find it incredible that you think there is nothing to complain about Moyes, apart from sixth position in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Before the ten page arguement starts on whether we are crazy spending £50 million on Barkley, just remember its only a story in the paper. We haven't and will not bid that much. I'd bet my house on it. Even at his inflated price it will be near £30 million i'd guess. And I actually don't think anything will happen until the Summer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

adox wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more. There is plenty to complain about with Moyes and I still contend that he's the wrong man for the job.

Results have been better in the last month but performances tactics etc remain awful. Utd have stumbled to sixth place. They have in no way indicated that they are better prepared for the second half of the season than they were the first.

I find it incredible that you think there is nothing to complain about Moyes, apart from sixth position in the league.

Only disappointing thing for me about Moyes is that this is exactly how a season would go under Fergie. Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭F.J.

United doing their best to help Everton become debt free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Only disappointing thing for me about Moyes is that this is exactly how a season would go under Fergie. Exactly.

No it wouldn't, Fergie would have got that extra 10% out of the players, that 10% would probably have gotten us 2 wins from the 4 fcuk up games (WBA, Soton, Everton & Newcastle), we'd now be sitting pretty just a point or 2 from top.

kryogen wrote: »
    Spunking that kind of money on a player like Barkley makes a statement alright, not sure we agree on what that statement is though

Again, I don't disagree. But the likes of koke and reus are serious players who won't want to take a risk going to a team with no chance of achieving CL football. Barkley and others would help us achieve this. If the 'pool qualify next season we will see the difference in players they can attract, it's a vicious cycle. I too complained about the money we spent on rio and rooney, but no one can say they were not worth it. I remember laughing at the stupid money we gave to villa for Yorke too, but maybe managers know a little more about football than us? Winning the league will always be priority for me, but to do this the club needs to match what the big spenders are paying as we no longer have a miracle worker at the helm.

If moyes wins a cup and qualifies for Europe then I will view this season as adequate. Anything more is a bonus. The squad needs improving and with the money supposedly there then why not spend it? I know there will be a few posters going to say we won the league last year at a canter etc., but for whatever reason this season certain players standards have dropped. Something as simple as a major signing (My point was always a statement signing, does not have to be Barkley, apologies if this was not clear) May just prove to these players that there is life after fergie. They should not need it, professional players and all that jazz but I believe in synergy and players like adnan help improve others around them and give the club a buzz. A big name signing or an exciting youngster may be the answer, will be interesting to see if the club performs better this window, surely they can't do worse than the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I wonder if Moyes would try Evra out as a left winger if we got a new left back.
    Well he did play as a striker once upon a time, and that was a lovely goal in the league cup.

Really think the only left that should be associated with Evra at this stage is left out of team. He's a serious liability for a number of years (improved a little last season) but back to hid usual gung ho go forward at all costs and no amount of fist pumping or kissing the crest from him will make me think any different. Break the bank and buy the two best full backs in the premiership, Seamus Coleman and Leightan Baines. Both excellent defenders and most importantly know when to bomb on and when to defend

adox wrote: »

The signs are there with certain players that they are playing better, we need our injured players back, and 1 or 2 signings in January. Winning will bring back a confidence, the comeback against Hull is something that would not have happened earlier in the season.
    That comeback was the type of comeback Fergie was getting last season.

I agree, with this team.
    scudzilla wrote: »
    No it wouldn't, Fergie would have got that extra 10% out of the players, that 10% would probably have gotten us 2 wins from the 4 fcuk up games (WBA, Soton, Everton & Newcastle), we'd now be sitting pretty just a point or 2 from top.

Fergie didn't manage it in Europe in the 2011/2012 season when we ended up in the Europa League...
    He was so lucky last year in many a match in the first half of the season, when we went down in a lot of matches and were lucky to get wins or draws.

What exactly have you been smoking/drinking/injecting tonight?

• Advertisement

What exactly have you been smoking/drinking/injecting tonight?

I think he makes a valid point, RVP has been off form this season, and now injured, imagine United last season if he had performed similar, we would have been in a similar position.

I think he makes a valid point, RVP has been off form this season, and now injured, imagine United last season if he had performed similar, we would have been in a similar position.

The short memories of some fans is scary

The short memories of some fans is scary

There was a stat about how many points RVP gained for the team with his goals. The amount of points from his goals last season to this season and take into account he is now injured, would show a big difference from the first 19 games last season to the first 19 this season.

Also if we had Fergie, would we still have Rooney who has been our best player this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Lot of ex Ireland players in media or spot light too.

Quinn, Whelan & Houghton spring to mind straight away....... if the rest of the world are reading this. We're sorry.

Three of the most uninsightful & annoying co-commentators out there at the moment.

There was a stat about how many points RVP gained for the team with his goals. The amount of points from his goals last season to this season and take into account he is now injured, would show a big difference from the first 19 games last season to the first 19 this season.

Also if we had Fergie, would we still have Rooney who has been our best player this season?

We had Fergie for our entire Premier League history until this season, did we finish outside the top 3 in those 20 years?

We had Fergie for our entire Premier League history until this season, did we finish outside the top 3 in those 20 years?

We were 15 points down one season around this point and still won it.

8 points off the top now and it means we have no hope of top 3?
    Currently 6 points off third but we can forget it?

We were 15 points down one season around this point and still won it.

8 points off the top now and it means we have no hope of top 3?
    Currently 6 points off third but we can forget it?

That's very clearly not what I said, you are agreeing with a statement that says this season would have gone exactly the same if Fergie had been manager. History disagrees you.

That's very clearly not what I said, you are agreeing with a statement that says this season would have gone exactly the same if Fergie had been manager. History disagrees you.

So Fergie was never way off the top at this point of the season?

History shows Fergie was 8 points or more off in previous seasons at this point.

History shows Fergie didn't always manage to get us out of a CL group.

History shows we lost in early rounds to teams like Volgograd when it was a knockout competition from the start, remember them?

Fergie had great success, also some results we would rather forget. Would we ever lose 4-1 to Man city like Moyes did...
    At least this year it was away, unlike Fergie last year losing 6-1 at home. Similar team and a similar result...
    One would think only Moyes got bad results.

Right, so in your head this season would have gone exactly the same if Fergie was in charge

Same team line ups, same tactics, same training, same press conferences, same subs, same performances, same results, same everything

Grand.

Right, so in your head this season would have gone exactly the same if Fergie was in charge

Same team line ups, same tactics, same training, same press conferences, same subs, same performances, same results, same everything

Grand.

I didn't say that, there is nothing to say that we wouldn't be in a similar position in the league.

Rooney would likely have gone, who knows what position we would be in, I doubt at the top at this stage.

• Advertisement

I didn't say that, there is nothing to say that we wouldn't be in a similar position in the league.

Rooney would likely have gone, who knows what position we would be in, I doubt at the top at this stage.

Maybe you should read what your agreeing with again so, and what it is I am saying is wrong. ps, Rooney would likely have gone shouldn't be brought into it as it opens up, well Ronaldo could have come back/Thiago would have joined, Strootman was signed up but Moyes cancelled it etc

Maybe you should read what your agreeing with again so, and what it is I am saying is wrong. ps, Rooney would likely have gone shouldn't be brought into it as it opens up, well Ronaldo could have come back/Thiago would have joined, Strootman was signed up but Moyes cancelled it etc

OK I would have used similar rather than exactly.

Anyway, I wish you a goodnight.

Same to you buddy, NFL keeps me up Sundays

Just hope youre not Dolphins fan. Its painful.

Watching Eagles beat Dallas

Just hope youre not Dolphins fan. Its painful.

Watching Eagles beat Dallas

**** no!

Ill give you a hint, I hate the Dolphins, hate the Jets more along with the Giants and the Cowboys (who doesn't?)

I actually picked Dallas for the win in this one during the week in our pick em competition sadly, forgot Romo would likely be out and that yoke Orton would be playing QB.

(Im a Pats fan)

Why would anyone hate Dolphins? Its like hate for Barnet haha.

Im not going pretend im huge NFL fan cause im not. Like watching it especially when not working next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

**** no!

Ill give you a hint, I hate the Dolphins, hate the Jets more along with the Giants and the Cowboys (who doesn't?)

I actually picked Dallas for the win in this one during the week in our pick em competition sadly, forgot Romo would likely be out and that yoke Orton would be playing QB.

(Im a Pats fan)

bradypunt.gif

When is the next game on lads? The festive period is crazy barely know what day it is these days!

People have been discussing signings being made in January, but does anyone think we'll have people going the other way?

What's the latest news with Zaha and his loan plan?

bradypunt.gif

When is the next game on lads? The festive period is crazy barely know what day it is these days!

People have been discussing signings being made in January, but does anyone think we'll have people going the other way?

What's the latest news with Zaha and his loan plan?

Spurs at home wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Is the Manchester Evening News reliable? Reporting that Utd are gonna bid £50m for Barkley in January.

Seems a bit...er......mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Is the Manchester Evening News reliable? Reporting that Utd are gonna bid £50m for Barkley in January.

Seems a bit...er......mental.

Probably would have cost half of that or under in the summer and that being said, the money spent on Fellaini could have being used on Barkley instead if thats the case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement