Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

There won't be a £50m bid for Barkley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

There won't be a £50m bid for Barkley.

I wouldn't have thought so. Seems like a strange thing to be reporting tho...

Not a chance anyone will bid 50m.

That's Ozil and Fabregas type money, way more actually!

He's looks a prospect but has been in out of games that I've seen.

I'd imagine 20m would be the figure and even then it'd be a gamble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Not a chance anyone will bid 50m.

That's Ozil and Fabregas type money, way more actually!

He's looks a prospect but has been in out of games that I've seen.

I'd imagine 20m would be the figure and even then it'd be a gamble
    think even 20 is a bit too much for him as it stands. hes only really been first team for 4 months. but then again hes english so anything about a potential fee for him will not be sane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

magnumbud wrote: »
    think even 20 is a bit too much for him as it stands. hes only really been first team for 4 months. but then again hes english so anything about a potential fee for him will not be sane.

That's very true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Blatter wrote: »
    I'm not too sure tbh. I would class Januzaj as a similar type of player to all of the above yet he seems to have little problem having a very positive influence on the United team in the current system whether he plays on the right, left or through the middle.

I was only talking about playing through the middle, but yeah your point stands. Januzaj has looked a lot sharper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Is the Manchester Evening News reliable? Reporting that Utd are gonna bid £50m for Barkley in January.

Seems a bit...er......mental.

seems its not only our fans who have short memories, but our journalists too.

penny penched all summer and then all of a sudden, we are going to pay £50million for a relatively unproven youngster???? good one!

at most we would bid about £18-£22million for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Vid of the UTD fans at Norwich during half time doing the rounds.

Some negatives but bar the one or two idiots throwing bins it looks like great support and just some lads having fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Some news on BVB players we have been linked with.

Dortmund are know for having trouble with their contract system lately. Gotze going to Bayern when they activated his release clause and are hoping to change how they offer player contracts
    Mario Götze joined Bayern München this summer after the Bavarians met the release-clause in his contract, meaning that BVB could not reject the offer, and Götze was free to join at his will. Since this poorly managed situation, Dortmund have confirmed that they will not be including release-clause’s in their players contracts. This is very important for the situation that Marco Reus is in.

Marco Reus’ release-clause of €35million will become active in 2015. Only then can any team meet that clause in the development of trying to sign Reus, this is where it gets simple. Dortmund are expected to offer Reus a new contract as soon as this release-clause becomes active, and he is expected to sign it unless his heart changes in the time between then.

http://www.vavel.com/en/international-football/germany-bundesliga/302643-marco-reus-contract-old-news.html

So the release clause is a year away from being active and the club seem sure Reus wants to stay.

On Gondogan Borussia Dortmund executive Hans-Joachim Watzke has dismissed rumours midfielder Ilkay Gundogan will be leaving Signal Iduna Park. It seems player to Madrid are the rumors he is putting a stop too

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/2483/9094124/Dortmund-deny-Gundogan-switch

He just said that player hasn't approached and asked to leave. I won't expect him to. I'd say there's a decent chance he's one of our targets and that if we really want to, we could meet a valuation that Dortmund would accept.

Also there is a great read here on how Meulensteen revolutionised the youth at UTD.

http://therepublikofmancunia.com/how-meulensteen-revolutionised-the-youth-at-united/

with the window opening in 2 days time, what are your predictions/expectations for it?

a - United will sign nobody and this will be made clear quickly.
    b - United will sign 1 "big" signing.
    c - United will sign 1 or 2 "non big name" players such as Ribeiro/Lallana.
    d - Baines and Herrara to come in or somebody in that mould.
    e - we will try, huff and puff but ultimately not get anybody apart from maybe a young lad like powell, henriquez, Valera etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

E all day long. Not a chance tbh

Seriously though where is Valera? Surely he could have been given a chance at right back?

Is he that far off being in the first team squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

GSPfan wrote: »
    Seriously though where is Valera? Surely he could have been given a chance at right back?

Thought he went on loan to boca

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

E, sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Gonna go with D homer

Headshot wrote: »

Not according to wikipedia. Has anyone seen him in the reserves? Is he any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Headshot wrote: »

Think he's still at the club tbh

Has he made a capitol cup bench appearance even this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

D , Coentrao is a possibility if madrid find somebody to warm their bench, Baines and Lallana are non starters.

I think we might get a surprise midfield signing that hasn't been mentioned yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I have a good feeling about this transfer window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

with the window opening in 2 days time, what are your predictions/expectations for it?

e - we will try, huff and puff but ultimately not get anybody apart from maybe a young lad like powell, henriquez, Valera etc etc.

C looks most likely. B would be nice option though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

GSPfan wrote: »

On his way out already.
    http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/manchester-united-new-signing-set-for-quick-exit-because-of-famil
    Guillermo Varela, remember him? In a summer during which Manchester United were widely acknowledged as failing in the transfer market, the young right back was merely a footnote. David Moyes was seen to have signed Marouane Fellaini and 'that kid from Uruguay', with the Wilfried Zaha transfer announced during the previous window.

Varela wasn't actually a Moyes signing, even though the youngster's deal was confirmed in June, a month after Moyes had arrived. The defender had been training with the first team squad at the time Sir Alex Ferguson announced his retirement and was party to the whirlwind which followed.

He hasn't yet appeared for the club's first team and has to make himself content with the U21 side. He hasn't been the standout player in many matches but he did some good combination work with Adnan Januzaj before Manchester United's latest superstar was promoted to the first team.

Varela returned to Uruguay recently for family reasons and according to Ovacion he has informed Manchester United of his wish to remain in the country for football and other reasons. Penarol, Varela's previous club, are trying to arrange a loan from Manchester United for the 20 year old.

Fook off with your optimism! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

And we got Saidy Janko who is also a right back although he appears to be playing on the right wing for the reserves.

Actually my hope for the next two transfer windows are to see a few players leave. The usual suspects Anderson, Giggs, etc.

Not happy that Ashley Young has decided to play better when his neck is on the line. I call that the Adebayor effect. Only puts in the effort when it looks like they are playing for a contract. I hope his current upturn in form only ads a few million onto his transfer fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

C, Im pretty certain Ribeiro will sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Ashley young is still miles off what he should be doing.
    A slight improvement from completely useless isnt a big help.
    He played 'ok' against norwich. Still made a few crosses that endedup in the stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Just a heads up, Januzaj is now rated 70 on Fifa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd go with E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

All i want for xmas is 2 new central midfielders. Saying that 4 yrs now

Hernandez i thought was very disappointing Saturday. He plays so high up the pitch and never comes looking for the ball. He cant play as a lone striker end of. Hopefully Rooney wil lbe fit Wednesday.

Hernandez i thought was very disappointing Saturday. He plays so high up the pitch and never comes looking for the ball. He cant play as a lone striker end of. Hopefully Rooney wil lbe fit Wednesday.

He started many a Champions league game as a lone striker and final vs Barca.

Obviously not on form but offered no support from his midfield.

i have cautious optimism...

im expecting two players - a left back and attacking midfielder.

Fábio Coentrão is definitely leaving Real and id say if we are still interested in him, we will get him unless we pissed him off during the summer. he is free to play in CL, is younger than Baines and is much cheaper option.

the second player is somebody along the lines of Herrara or Ribeiro but not sure if either are the player to sort our problems.

eitherway, given the fact that its January window, i dont think we can expect too much.

Buttner will leave on loan, wouldnt be surprised to see Anderson leave either.

Giggs, Evra and Rio will all go in Summer, so i cant see the big exodus that some of you expect as Moyes will know we probably have 5 players already that need to be replaced, with the future of Kagawa also under doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

i have cautious optimism...

im expecting two players - a left back and attacking midfielder.

Fábio Coentrão is definitely leaving Real and id say if we are still interested in him, we will get him unless we pissed him off during the summer. he is free to play in CL, is younger than Baines and is much cheaper option.

the second player is somebody along the lines of Herrara or Ribeiro but not sure if either are the player to sort our problems.

eitherway, given the fact that its January window, i dont think we can expect too much.

Buttner will leave on loan, wouldnt be surprised to see Anderson leave either.

Giggs, Evra and Rio will all go in Summer, so i cant see the big exodus that some of you expect as Moyes will know we probably have 5 players already that need to be replaced, with the future of Kagawa also under doubt.

I'd agree with the above being likely. I would say that between now and the Summer, that is as much business as most squads could tolerate without complete upheaval. Presumably all the players out will be balanced by players in.

So Evra out in summer, Coentrao in Jan;
    Giggs out, MF in;
    Rio out, CB in;
    Anderson out CM in;
    Buttner out on loan, possibly no replacement.

So between now and the end of the summer that's five players out and 4 or five players in. That's a significant % of the squad to change, and I wouldn't want any more than that done given how spurs have struggled adjusting to 7 new players arriving this summer. Hopefully we get one big star in CM as part of that bunch. I know we are keen to make a statement transfer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rio barely plays, Anderson and Buttnet don't play so them leaving wouldn't upset things much at all.

not sure if already posted, but i wonder what the f8ck went on here? idiot supports of other clubs or just Cole randomly attacked?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/30/andy-cole-racially-abused-aer-lingus-flight-manchester-united

The former Manchester United and England striker Andy Cole was allegedly racially abused by two men on an Aer Lingus flights from Dublin on Sunday. Photograph: Tom Jenkins for the Guardian
    Former Manchester United striker Andy Cole was racially abused on an Aer Lingus flight on Sunday, according to reports.

The Irish Independent claims two men were arrested at Manchester airport following the flight from Dublin, where the ex-England forward was working as a television pundit for the game between his old side and Norwich the previous day. The paper claims the men had drinks confiscated after drunkenly hurling slurs at the 42-year-old.

"We can confirm that it was an Aer Lingus flight and that an incident of racial abuse occurred," a spokesperson from the Greater Manchester Police told Independent.ie.

"The victim of the abuse was identified as Mr Andrew Cole. We have received a number of enquiries in relation to the incident."

and here is the original story in todays independant.
    30 DECEMBER 2013

An Irish man has been charged in connection with the racial abuse of former Manchester United star Andy Cole on a flight from Dublin to Manchester.

He and another man, of no fixed address, were said to be drunk during the flight when the retired striker was subjected to racial slurs.

The men, both aged in their 20s, were arrested when the Aer Lingus flight touched down at Manchester Airport on Sunday.

They appeared before Trafford Magistrates' Court today where they were charged with a racially aggravated public order offence.

In a statement, Greater Manchester Police confirmed officers were called to the airport in relation to an inbound flight from Dublin.

"Officers were responding to reports that a 42-year-old man was being subjected to racial abuse while on the plane, and that two passengers were drunk and would not co-operate with cabin staff," a spokesman said.

This is not the first time the soccer legend has had to suffer racial taunts as he has been subject to a number of incidents of abuse throughout his soccer career – both on and off the pitch.

The former British-record signing was on the receiving end of racist chanting for Manchester United during a Champions League tie against Juventus in 1996 and more famously along with his international team-mate Emile Heskey was subjected to taunts from Slovakia supporters during an international qualifier in 2002.

Cole (42) who has also played for England and Newcastle United, is involved with the Kick It Out campaign, an anti-discrimination body set up to promote equality in football.

• Advertisement

Can Coentrao play at right back if needed? If so, he would definitely be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

not sure if already posted, but i wonder what the f8ck went on here? idiot supports of other clubs or just Cole randomly attacked?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/30/andy-cole-racially-abused-aer-lingus-flight-manchester-united

and here is the original story in todays independant.

Football fans + drink = :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

To be honest i don't care how we done it but those last 4 games were must win and we done it. While performances are not great if we beat Spurs i will be hopeful of top 4 and an outside push for the title race. We have big players to come back and i think Contrea is very likely and i think Moyes will sign at least one midfielder. I actually think a lb is the biggest priority this transfer window Evra is just awful he gets caught out of position a few times a game it's pathetic.

RVP, Carrick, Fellaini, Nani all coming back will be a big boost. Hopefully Rafael and Vidic can get fully fit and two or three solid signings and we will be in good shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Anybody see the latest rumours on our mate Ravel Morrison being arrested last night for driving a stolen car? Ridiculous if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭xtal191

Im going for E here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Rio barely plays, Anderson and Buttnet don't play so them leaving wouldn't upset things much at all.

You don't know how the group dynamic will change though. It's been said that Evra is a big personality, as is Rio, and I've heard Anderson is very popular also. Judging by the amount of photos of RVP and Buttner sitting together on planes and talking to each other I'd imagine they're pretty good friends.

It is a legitimate concern. Teams play better when they get on well and want to fight for each other. Changing the squad too much disrupts that, and we don't want to get rid of all our leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

markc91 wrote: »
    Anybody see the latest rumours on our mate Ravel Morrison being arrested last night for driving a stolen car? Ridiculous if true

I take back my post in the against child smacking thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Football fans + drink = :o

Nothing in the article mentions football fans: Gobsh1tes + drink = :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Is it true that 75% tax passed today in France? If so has Matuidi signed a deal yet? Can't see him signing one now if so.

Sadly I'd fear zaltan or cavani turning up at City or Chelsea now as well. Falcao to Madrid. This is almost perfect for Chelsea

Could watch/listen to videos like this all day long!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What a pointless video.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

What a pointless video.

Glad you have a post to compliment it.

What a pointless video.

I found the first 20 seconds quite interesting.

Please dont take this as a dig at Nani cause it's not, but I think he is finished at United. Cannot stay fit and cannot keep an awful Valencia out of the team. Just seems like he will be moved on in the Summer if something doesn't drastically change.

It's not something that would upset me if someone of equal quality was brought in. Feels like the team really needs a shake up. I'd still rather Young and Valencia sold before him but I doubt it happening.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement