Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What a pointless video.

lol 5mins long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

What a pointless video.

for those who have no interest in supporting the team, i guess it is.

for those who have no interest in supporting the team, i guess it is.

To be fair it is kind of pointless, especially 5 mins of it. I bet very few watched it in full. No need to go down a true supporter dig in route!
    zerks wrote: »
    I have noticed that our away supporters seem to be a good bit louder this season,even when we've been rubbish the fans have sung their hearts out.

Great support! Best in the prem i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I have noticed that our away supporters seem to be a good bit louder this season,even when we've been rubbish the fans have sung their hearts out.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

GSPfan wrote: »
    Please dont take this as a dig at Nani cause it's not, but I think he is finished at United. Cannot stay fit and cannot keep an awful Valencia out of the team. Just seems like he will be moved on in the Summer if something doesn't drastically change.

It's not something that would upset me if someone of equal quality was brought in. Feels like the team really needs a shake up. I'd still rather Young and Valencia sold before him but I doubt it happening.

Didnt he just sign a new lucrative 4yr contract??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Didnt he just sign a new lucrative 4yr contract??

I know, but that really doesn't mean anything other than the transfer fee will be normal. What use is a player who is always injured or always on the bench?

GSPfan wrote: »
    I know, but that really doesn't mean anything other than the transfer fee will be normal. What use is a player who is always injured or always on the bench?

2 or 3 lads(cant remember who) posted on here around the time, that this was done just to push up his value again.

thing is though, i rate him really highly and i think if he gets back to form, he can be one of our best players again.

just seems lately that any of our attackers apart from our strikers seems to be playing well below their capability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Those lads who abused Cole where named on Radio one, one is a bum it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

2 or 3 lads(cant remember who) posted on here around the time, that this was done just to push up his value again.

thing is though, i rate him really highly and i think if he gets back to form, he can be one of our best players again.

just seems lately that any of our attackers apart from our strikers seems to be playing well below their capability.

A lot of talk about Juve wanting him again,£18 million being mentioned in one article,I'd take it & run.

I know it's The Mail but they are saying Madrid are willing to do business with us for Coentrao for around £12 million.

The way Evra didn't defend the other day makes me worried what Lennon will do to him Wednesday evening.Getting in a decent fullback is getting nearly as important now as a midfielder,how many times have our CB's brilliance saved Evra's blushes?

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    I know it's The Mail but they are saying Madrid are willing to do business with us for Coentrao for around £12 million.

its nailed on that he will leave Madrid and id expect cheaper than that also perhaps. Milan, Juve and Spurs also rumoured to be interested.

if it was a case that he wanted to sign for us in september, but red tape/real held up the deal, then surely he still would want to sign for us, though of course whats happened since could have turned him off.

For so long we have been waiting on Nani to regain some form and it's getting less and less likely. Injuries are killing him.
    It's the same for Anderson. Two fantastic players just needing a change I think. They will probably go to new clubs and be brilliant. But at this stage I'm fairly certain they will never be as important for United again.

would anybody Alonso be a good stop gap in midfield or is he no longer at the required level?

theres talk of him going to Chelsea, but i think he wouldnt be an improvement on Carrick and is not what we need at the moment, at all.

though of course whats happened since could have turned him off.

Maybe not. A team struggling for a good left back and plenty of game time for him. I'd say if he wanted it in the Summer he will still want it now. Champions League aswell.

would anybody Alonso be a good stop gap in midfield or is he no longer at the required level?

theres talk of him going to Chelsea, but i think he wouldnt be an improvement on Carrick and is not what we need at the moment, at all.

Liverpool or Mourinho would never allow it. I'd say they will be all over him if he is available. Good player.

Alonso has been one of the best midfielders in La Liga for the past couple of seasons??

How you think he is 'not what we need right now' is bizarre.

you really need to lower your expectation if you think you could land better than Alonso in the Jan window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

he's not exactly wants needed and would only be a stop gap but saying that he would still be a step up on what we currently have available .
    Gundogan imo would be the ideal signing but i doubt there is any chance of that happening.

watch United and you will know the answer to this. he doesnt offer us anything that we dont already have though as pointed out many times, anybody would be a bonus in there as we constantly see the likes of Jones, Giggs, even Rooney in there when we get injuries to Carrick or play a 3 man midfield.

you really need to lower your expectation if you think you could land better than Alonso in the Jan window.

where did i say that? if he was to sign then great, but i cant see it happening nor would i believe they type of role he plays would be a priority for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Alonso has been one of the best midfielders in La Liga for the past couple of seasons??

He's 32 and his style is very similar to Carrick's, "he's not what we need right now" is a valid opinion though world class talent is always wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In his prime Alonso was quality player and still has more to give but he is 32 years old now. Not really going be long term solutition, also ex Liverpool player. Can't see it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

You don't know how the group dynamic will change though. It's been said that Evra is a big personality, as is Rio, and I've heard Anderson is very popular also. Judging by the amount of photos of RVP and Buttner sitting together on planes and talking to each other I'd imagine they're pretty good friends.

It is a legitimate concern. Teams play better when they get on well and want to fight for each other. Changing the squad too much disrupts that, and we don't want to get rid of all our leaders.

I understand where you are coming from, for me losing Evra form the squad would be massive as he is also a member of the first 11. Rio would be a loss but if replaced by the right player he wouldn't be missed as much as a new player is there and also the guys once considered a young player, let's say Rooney step up and take on those leadership roles.

Players not involved in the first 11 team regularly move on all the time. Brown and O'Shea left together for example. I would think professional footballers are used to people coming and going from squads. The on field understanding is most important so if you are not moving on too many players from the first team it shouldn't cause too many issues. That was spurs problem IMO, too many new players in the first 11 more so than the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

So whos gonna say it.....Sneijder :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The world has officially gone mad. A Liverpool fan telling us to lower our expectations? Well I never...

The world has officially gone mad. A Liverpool fan telling us to lower our expectations? Well I never...

Why are you trying to stir up controversy where there is none??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Alonso now isn't much better than the level Carrick was last season and will hopefully return to this season

He's not what we need right now

We could do better because other players would tick off more boxes in what we actually need in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

You complain of people stirring up controversy while posting in here with that username.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Alonso now isn't much better than the level Carrick was last season and will hopefully return to this season

He's not what we need right now

We could do better because other players would tick off more boxes in what we actually need in the team

I'd still take him if the price was right. Can't see it though.

You're saying we shouldn't be aiming higher than a 32 year old midfielder on the wane. Some would say it was you trying to stir up controversy.

You're saying we shouldn't be aiming higher than a 32 year old midfielder on the wane. Some would say it was you trying to stir up controversy.

Nah not at all.

I was talking about who and what kinda of caliber player you could land in a Jan window.

Alonso (imo) would be top of the pile if he did move in Jan.

homer corrected my post as he was on about longterm and not just this window (I think)

nothing to see here.

don't kill me for posting but i have to say Aldi have really hit rock bottom selling these :p

286566.png

genuine question here, can anybody name/recall any January signings in recent years by a top club around Europe that had a pretty decent impact both short and long term?

Liverpool did really well last year with Sturridge and Coutinho, it seems to have been the main catalyst for their surge in form.

while not talking about them two players specifically, theres surely two players our there right now who we can sign to have the same impact, though to be fully realistic, their true impact on the teams fortunes only really started to show a few months later rather than right now, which is what we need.

• Advertisement

genuine question here, can anybody name/recall any January signings in recent years by a top club around Europe that had a pretty decent impact both short and long term?

Liverpool did really well last year with Sturridge and Coutinho, it seems to have been the main catalyst for their surge in form.

while not talking about them two players specifically, theres surely two players our there right now who we can sign to have the same impact, though to be fully realistic, their true impact on the teams fortunes only really started to show a few months later rather than right now, which is what we need.

Suarez signed in a Jan window

All of our players are meant to be coming back from injury at some stage in January except Fellaini who is probably out until February.

It will be good to have everyone back.

Is anyone baffled re Nani?

Injuries, poorish form, no runs in the side and then a contract extension ?

The contract was given so a club couldn't get him cheap before his old one ran out, there's still a lot of sides that will pay decent money for him.

People say he's frustrating but Valencia has been frustrating consistently for 2 years now, he should start every game when he's fully fit.

You'll get some shots into row Z but at least he's shooting and on his day he can be really special.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Ole turned down the Cardiff job according to the Guardian

RVP is back training

Best case he rediscovers his form worst case we protected his transfer value.

His form and fitness are very worrying though on his day he's a top player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

If a player can be signed who will give a short term boost, united should go for it. Get top 4 and buy bigger next summer. Getting a good midfielder on a short term contract or even loan could be the difference this year

Suarez signed in a Jan window

took him a good 8 or 9 months to get going though, in all fairness.

his performances for the first year or so, were about 50% as effective as what they are at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Well Liverpool in the last 8 years have managed to get Suarez , Sturrigde , Coutinho , Agger , Skrtel , Maxi Rodriguez and Mascherano . I could list more if it needed being . Manchester United also signed Evra and Vidic in January . So it proves you can get good quality players in january but you need to have the player identified and scouted for a month or 2 before January .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

genuine question here

This isn't a dig but why do you start a lot of posts with "genuine question"

Are we to assume that if you don't write "genuine question" before starting a post that it isn't a genuine question?

What i'm saying is, it's probably unnecessary as i'm sure no one here doubts your sincerity.

form table against top 10 if anybody is interested in it.

286577.jpg

im sure there are many ways to look at it. the positive is that if we can turn it around, then there is serious potential to still get to the top of the table before end of season.

the other side of course, is that when we play any half decent team our form is absolutly awful and at the moment, doesnt look like changing.

City have played 7 at home, compared to Liverpools 2 - we have 5, but the offside of this is we are the 2nd best team away from home so far this season but only the 10th best at home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ballotelli, Drogba and Sneijder all moved to good impacts last January.

United's best January Window moves were Vidic, Evra and of course Henrik Larsson

The Larsson signing is perfect example of how a short term deal can have a big impact and why a short term move shouldn't be dismissed.

Assuming Fletch can get back to his best in the next month it might not be a complete disaster not bringing in a new midfielder this window.

In his last 2 fully fit seasons he has been just as if not more effective for us than Carrick was last year.

Fletch

Carrick

While I hope we bring someone in failing to might not be soo bad, I had certainly forgotten his influence on the side.
    But when you talk about big game players, he used to be the first name on the team sheet.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    The Larsson signing is perfect example of how a short term deal can have a big impact and why a short term move shouldn't be dismissed.

Has there been a better short term loan ?

Such a class act and joy to watch, lifted everyone at the club I think.

If Fletcher is back now full time I reckon his performances will gradually get better but we may not see the old Fletcher until next year. I've noticed in all his games so far that he is a bit reluctant to throw himself into 50/50's yet which is a good thing. He needs games and minutes and the less knocks and strains the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

beno619 wrote: »
    Has there been a better short term loan ?

Andy Goram,it was like 2 signings.

form table against top 10 if anybody is interested in it.

286577.jpg

im sure there are many ways to look at it. the positive is that if we can turn it around, then there is serious potential to still get to the top of the table before end of season.

the other side of course, is that when we play any half decent team our form is absolutly awful and at the moment, doesnt look like changing.

City have played 7 at home, compared to Liverpools 2 - we have 5, but the offside of this is we are the 2nd best team away from home so far this season but only the 10th best at home.

We're 2nd in the league if you only include away games :pac:
    Just shows how bad it's been at Old Trafford this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

yabadabado wrote: »
    Andy Goram,it was like 2 signings.

not sure he meant size wise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

No idea how reliable but.....
    Tottenham Hotspur make official approach to UTD to sign Alexander Buttner

http://thepeoplesperson.com/tottenham-hotspur-have-made-an-official-approach-to-manchester-united-about-signing-buttner/?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Please be true

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement