Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Just looking at Wikepedia. In 2012 season Cruzerio finished 9th in Brazil league on 52 points scoring 47 goals. This year they finished first on 76 points scoring 77 goals when Riberio joined. His old club Coritiba position didn't really change after he left.

If you have a look at how many players they brought in 2013 it would be hard to pinpoint all the success to Riberio.

Jesus wept look at how many players came and went lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Cruzeiro_Esporte_Clube_season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Our injuries for past 3-4 years have been horrendous.

Sometimes I forget what players even play for us if they are out for a while.

You could count in 1 hand the amount of times we have had full first team squad available.

Least 1 of our top players is missing all the time.

Sick of it!

Try being a Pats fan on top of it, injury crisis after injury crisis :(

Still the teams manage to stay competitive though!

(Sorry for off topic posting)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Agree... I worry tho that the coaches are doing the same High intensity training with all players at the same level.
    Rooney needs it. RVP doesnt.. For example.

To be fair I think the guys with the PHD's and UEFA badges are better aware of what players need and don't need than us on a message board. Players get injured, it happens and it could've happened RVP last season either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I took it to mean he is a creative midfielder who'll push from CM into the hole or favoured out right when attacking. Sounds like a perfect fit imo.

i took it to mean he is similar to Kagawa at Dortmund :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

RobertKK wrote: »
    Chelsea are predicted to go after Luke Shaw in the upcoming transfer window.
    It is in the papers that this will bring United into the chase for his signature, with at least £20 million being touted, though Southampton say they are not selling.
    Claims that United will not be going after Baines.

If Nani and /or Valencia are sold then Ribeiro would make sense, and it still means money will have to be spent on a creative central midfielder.

If it comes down to a bidding war with Chelsea ,we would be as well staying away.The have unlimited cash and afaik he grew up a Chelsea fan.At 20m it would still be a better deal than Baines .If he fulfills his potential then LB would be sorted for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He'd be a good addition either way, can play anywhere in the attack behind the striker and will probably only cost 10-12m.

If we could get him, Coentrao and maybe Koke we'd be in great shape, possibly title contender shape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

gosplan wrote: »
    People saying Zaha should be in the team are basing their argument on practically nothing apart from some hope they have that he'd be an improvement on Valencia.

Nobody is saying that Zaha should be in the team, as in first choice or anything like that, nobody has said that. We are simply saying that he has only had 30 mins playing time, and that perhaps with the dire state of our other options he should be given a chance here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

He'd be a good addition either way, can play anywhere in the attack behind the striker and will probably only cost 10-12m.

If we could get him, Coentrao and maybe Koke we'd be in great shape, possibly title contender shape

I reckon he would need a lot of settling into the team. He's already played a full season. Anything over €10 million is too much. He was only bought for €1.5m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

gosplan wrote: »
    There's a massive massive difference between being good in the championship and in the premiership. We bought Ox and Walcott in very similar deals and it's taken them years to come on to the required level. ox hasn't even yet tbh.

Zaha has way more first team experience than any of those players so its a slightly different situation.

• Advertisement

MANUTD99 wrote: »

Jesus wept look at how many players came and went lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Cruzeiro_Esporte_Clube_season

its not that bad when you break it down, the majority of the outs for example are young lads on loan and they have about 15 of them, same as what United would have in an average year. they then had 4 or 5 lads whose contracts ran out (again fairly normal at alot of clubs) and sold 3 players.

players actually signed is the same, 3 and they brought in a few out of contract players, along with promoting some young lads.

in summary - their squad is probably insanely huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Zaha was another one of Fergies mildly stranger signings. Both Zaha and Powell showed great lower league form but there is a world of difference between that and top four/UCL standard. I'm not surprised Zaha isn't near the first team yet.

Bebe is almost at the top of the bizarre Fergies signings list but Dong Fangzhuo tops the wtf? list for me.

Random thought.

Is Janujaz better than Ronaldo was at 18 ? His end product is definitely better than Ronaldo's at the time imo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Followed Utds fitness coach on twitter. The first tweet i saw from him was an article 'High Intensity Training essential' !

Do you even know what HIT is?

Im guessing you don't.

Did you read the article?

I'm guessing you didn't.

It's a super tool in a fitness regime for anyone and used correctly it's essential.

The daily mail will prob pick up on it soon though so it'll help.

Dong Fangzhuo tops the wtf? list for me.

at least Dong had the greatest football chant ever sung at a Untied game.

Dong, Dong,
    whereever you may be,
    your name sounds like a big willy
    we dont give a f*ck,
    that you can barely see,
    cos your name sounds like a big willy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Zaha was another one of Fergies mildly stranger signings. Both Zaha and Powell showed great lower league form but there is a world of difference between that and top four/UCL standard. I'm not surprised Zaha isn't near the first team yet.

Bebe is almost at the top of the bizarre Fergies signings list but Dong Fangzhuo tops the wtf? list for me.

But they are young players with massive potential. ManUtd paid the price for their potential. No one expected Powell and Zaha to become key player this year, they are growing as a player. At least Powell is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

at least Dong had the greatest football chant ever sung at a Untied game.

Start that one next home match!

lordgoat wrote: »
    Start that one next home match!

we are over 3 times in the next 3 weeks, but its impossible to get chants going unless you are in the middle of the upper strettie.

my next away game though....its going to happen :)

beno619 wrote: »
    Random thought.

Is Janujaz better than Ronaldo was at 18 ? His end product is definitely better than Ronaldo's at the time imo.

I would say yes. CR7 had 6 goals in 40 apps during his first season and some of his end product was poor. Adnan has 3 goals in 11 apps so far.

Not that any of this means anything. Adnan has great balance but this doesn't mean all the other areas of his game will improve exponentially like CR7's did. He needs to bulk up and improve his decision making, he tends to go for the glory a bit too often instead of picking out the best option. I don't think he has the same type of frame CR7 did at 18 to allow him to sculpt himself into the same type of all round athlete that Ronaldo has become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

lordgoat wrote: »
    Do you even know what HIT is?

Im guessing you don't.

Did you read the article?

I'm guessing you didn't.

It's a super tool in a fitness regime for anyone and used correctly it's essential.

The daily mail will prob pick up on it soon though so it'll help.

Then you guessed wrong.
    People get on the defensive so easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Random thought.

He definitely is, I know for myself and a lot of Man United fans are so excited about him. If he has a similar mindset to CR7 regarding how hard he works and if he hits the gym in a similar fashion, there will be no stopping him.

Although it's worth remembering that a worrying amount of United fans gave Ronaldo a load of abuse about being a one-trick pony and a diver, to the point where I regularly had to defend him.

Which goes along with the other list of "I used to abuse him but then he played well so now I like him" players such as:

Darren Fletcher
    Michael Carrick
    Johnny Evans
    Danny Welbeck this month.
    Tom Cleverley some time in the future.

PSA: Don't bash young talented players from the club you support on the internet, you'll only look like a dick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Happy new year Man Utd lads and lassie.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    But they are young players with massive potential. ManUtd paid the price for their potential. No one expected Powell and Zaha to become key player this year, they are growing as a player. At least Powell is.

Agree with all of that but they are still risks in terms of that potential. They may come good or they may never cut the mustard at the top level. I have high hopes for Powell more than Zaha.

Given the sums paid for them, 10m for Zaha rising to 15m based on performance based results and 6m for Powell (according to wiki), they still are in the risk bracket as the bones of that could have gotten us a proven player or at least covered most of the fee for one.

I have no problem with those signings though, I'm all for giving youth and potential a chance. The next two season will see whether Fergie got it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    He definitely is, I know for myself and a lot of Man United fans are so excited about him. If he has a similar mindset to CR7 regarding how hard he works and if he hits the gym in a similar fashion, there will be no stopping him.

Although it's worth remembering that a worrying amount of United fans gave Ronaldo a load of abuse about being a one-trick pony and a diver, to the point where I regularly had to defend him.

Which goes along with the other list of "I used to abuse him but then he played well so now I like him" players such as:

Darren Fletcher
    Michael Carrick
    Johnny Evans

PSA: Don't bash young talented players from the club you support on the internet, you'll only look like a dick.

Its been happening here for years though, and it will always happen as fans can be a fickle bunch.

Players get built up unrealistically and when they don't hit those levels people turn on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Darren Fletcher
    Michael Carrick
    Johnny Evans

there's no point blindly defending players though. Plenty of players play ****e. People should be allowed critique them on bad performances, and get annoyed if the aforementioned is a regular occurance. Just because they have potential or might get good (plenty wont) or because they came up through the youth ranks.

Fletcher used to be suspect at times. Carrick was always quite good admittedly in my younger days i berated him. To say Dizzy welbeck doesn't deserve the ire directed at him is untrue to hes quite frustrating. Tom Clevz may never make it properly for us( i hope he does fwiw) but hes certainly been disappointing for most, and deserving criticism.

Apologies for spelling and grammar on mobile and useless at it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im off to Kerry soon enough to party.

So wish ye all Happy 2014 United and non United fans.

no. Ronaldos early days at United are seriously underrated, people seem to forget he was Uniteds player of the year in his first season and only focus on his goals/assists.

he was man of the match week in, week out and while he was not scoring goals, his general play was unbelieveable for a lad of his age. he made Uefa team of the year that year and the PFA team of they year two years in a row before his breakthrough year in 07. in between, his dad died and this, added to the fact that United were really really poor and actually in a proper period of transition as opposed to now, stagnated him a bit.

he was so good in 2004, that i had a bet with a lad he would be world player of the year some day and he laughed at the bet when i made it with him. what happened from 23rd December 2006 onwards was no surprise to alot of people however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I cant wait for this window now to see the whacky links.

Cue Agents.....

Wackywaving.jpg

Can we not call a spade a spade?

Welbeck's end product has been pïss most of his career and lately it seems to have gotten better, fingers crossed it has and will keep improving, and fans are now delighted that he's doing what we all hoped he would.

I'm not into this not saying how it is just so in a few years time I can maybe take an 'I told you so' attitude with some people.

Darren Fletcher
    Michael Carrick
    Johnny Evans

Its a discussion form about UTD so if we can't talk about players who we think are playing well or bad there is not much else to talk about.

All of the players you mentioned bar Cleverly have improved over time. I never really had a problem with any of them. Welbeck did annoy for a while but it was mainly when he was out wide. Evans was very solid at times. Clev is the only one who hasn't kicked on and has actually gone backwards. I don't think his best game is good enough at all as do others. There is nothing wrong with calling it as you see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Im off to Kerry soon enough to party.

So wish ye all Happy 2014 United and non United fans.

Hope you make it out alive

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Hope you make it out alive

its a massive upgrade on where he comes from ;)

Thats the key I think, he has the ability to go as far as he wants.

Ronaldo's ethic and hunger to be the best are unrivaled. He was very frustrating for the first 3-4 years because he really wasnt realizing his potential. The rest is history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Januzaj is THE major positive of Moyes' tenure so far. The fact he put him in the first team, and made him feel comfortable to sign a long-term deal is huge. People may say that he would have signed under Fergie, but there's no guarantee SAF would have put him in the first team this season. Moyes has to be commended for that imo.

I also like how Moyes hasn't been playing him every week like Sterling was for Liverpool last season. We're much more likely to see big performances from him at the back end of the season as he'll still be relatively fresh. When Jan is doing the business, he's been by far our most incisive player this season.

its a massive upgrade on where he comes from ;)

Down with that sort of thing!

Can we not call a spade a spade?

Welbeck's end product has been pïss most of his career and lately it seems to have gotten better, fingers crossed it has and will keep improving, and fans are now delighted that he's doing what we all hoped he would.

I'm not into this not saying how it is just so in a few years time I can maybe take an 'I told you so' attitude with some people.

In all fairness, Welbeck has demonstrated his ability on numerous occasions and always puts in a shift, his finishing has been piss poor for sure but nobody should be labeling him a spade.

What year you celebrating in Kerry? 1986? :pac::pac:

Sorry....

are you coming to a game anytime soon....have a few spares for the next 4 home games if your interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Surpised no one has picked up on the funny coincidence that Ribeiro's first name is Everton.

Moyes has Everton on the brain.

What year you celebrating in Kerry? 1986? :pac::pac:

Sorry....

In fairness I like Kerry. Nice people bit of craic. Not as great as Cork but cant be all special:P
    are you coming to a game anytime soon....have a few spares for the next 4 home games if your interested?

I have Exams coming up in January till 22nd. 5 to do. Actually got one on Friday but thats a doddle. After that im going get my ass into gear save and get a game. Not till February at earliest.

Edit: I might have go for Op on my knee but hopefully not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

GSPfan wrote: »
    Surpised no one has picked up on the funny coincidence that Ribeiro's first name is Everton.

I'm sure most of us have. We just think it's quite irrelevant!

Right im off chat in 2014(man years are going way too fast)

shocked-o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Sure one of their other players is called Everton too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Everton_de_Almeida_Andrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

We won't be signing Ribiero in January, he said at the weekend he will stay at Cruzeiro and play in the 2014 Copa Libertadores, which runs January to May-ish I believe.

Moyes comments to the BBC about not liking January signings along with the loanees coming back makes me think no business will be done until the summer

• Advertisement

Moyes comments to the BBC about not liking January signings along with the loanees coming back makes me think no business will be done until the summer

Moyes has signed around 10 players in January in recent years, so id take the first part with a pinch of salt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Rooney didnt train.... Sounds like hes out for match tomorrow.
    Hop they surprise us tho.
    Spurs match is a huge game for Utd to continue their run of results. A win would be a massive result. Especially if theyre missing RVP and Rooney.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

We won't win without Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

DDG
    Smalling Vidic Evans Evra
    Valencia Carrick Clev Jan
    Kagawa
    Welbeck

That lineup would beat spurs at home.

Nolars wrote: »
    That lineup would beat spurs at home.