Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What year was that? I can't place it in my head? It wasn't the match where we started with 7 defenders was it?

For me I remember the Fulham game towards the end of the 06/07 season really standing out. At 1-1 Van der sar made some huge saves to keep us in it before Ronaldo scored the late winner.

I think Rafael and O'Shea started in midfield :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

What year was that? I can't place it in my head? It wasn't the match where we started with 7 defenders was it?

For me I remember the Fulham game towards the end of the 06/07 season really standing out. At 1-1 Van der sar made some huge saves to keep us in it before Ronaldo scored the late winner.

That's the game I remember him being unreal in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't believe them either. There's no dichotomy here between believing what Cesc said about a delicate situation and believing what randomers on a forum contend about the same situation.

It's pretty obvious that Cesc could be lying and pretty obvious that Miguel Delaney or whoever could be wrong about why the deal fell through.

You are all entrenched in an argument where you've just picked a side you believe and think the other side is stupid for buying the obvious lies they've put their faith in.

You're probably all wrong.

Obvious lies is the key words in your reply, Why put up with them?

There's is a dichotomy between believing what happened and what people are trying to say happened

Of course anybody could lie. Why would Cesc lie repeatedly? PLenty of players tell the truth also. Why not say anything. Barca also said they didnt want to sell, this is all parties involved.

Mitch has said today that UTD were not willing to pay the fee Barca wanted. This would suggest they told us the fee. This is a new one and seemingly made up.

Why should we listen to this. People are called out all the time on here. Are Micth and homer and co above that. They have no problem saying others only believe good things and are the pro Moyes Woody brigade

Yes usually in arguments a side is picked, the obvious lies such as the UTD wouldnt pay the fee being one side.

I'll ask it again. What fee Mitch? What was the price? I'll be needing a source with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Obvious lies is the key words in your reply, Why put up with them?

Because ye all think what the other side believes is lies.

EDIT: Sorry, just to add to that because I've probably been unclear:

You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that the evidence for your interpretation of the story - i.e. the testimony of Fabregas - is more compelling than the evidence for the alternative view, i.e. the postulations of some journalists. The fact is that both sets of evidence are as close to equally flimsy/compelling as makes no odds.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I find it hilarious that an agent didn't ring his player to tell him a multi million pound offer was out in for him. And they player had to find out about it via the most modern of media - the newspaper. Puzzling that none of his family, friends, team mates or the agent that he employs didn't pop him a text going 'hey cesc - pick up a newspaper there and get back to me'

It's mind numbing in here how much needs to be spoon fed.

Baby bites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Why should we listen to this. People are called out all the time on here. Are Micth and homer and co above that. They have no problem saying others only believe good things and are the pro Moyes Woody brigade

holy s*it, you are actually obsessed with me and mitch at this stage, this is about the 20th time in a few weeks i have seen you mention us in some form in relation to the summer transfer window...its kinda cute how obsessed you are, but its also f*cking tragic.

you go on about us being repetitive, but my god you actually are the definition of repetitiveness, every second day your on about us be it Thiago, Ozil (you particularly love those two), today it is Cesc. tomorrow it will probably be Fellaini again, next week it will be Kheidra or Herrara.

almost everything me, mitch or anybody else has posted this summer is as close to the truth as you are going to get, we have given our sources, we have backed up everything we posted despite you continuing to ignore this fact.
    if you dont want to accept it then fine, despite your continuous whinging and moaning about it, we are not going to change our mind on the fanboy tripe you keep spouting in defence of Woodward.

he f*cked up, i know it, Mitch knows it and all the realistic posters on here know it.

I'd be inclined to think it's probably a bit more complicated than any of you are making out tbh. The idea that he either ****ed it all up or it was none of his fault is stupid.

Because ye all think what the other side believes is lies.

EDIT: Sorry, just to add to that because I've probably been unclear:

You seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that the evidence for your interpretation of the story - i.e. the testimony of Fabregas - is more compelling than the evidence for the alternative view, i.e. the postulations of some journalists. The fact is that both sets of evidence are as close to equally flimsy/compelling as makes no odds.

No. You have it wrong. Its a combination of this and the fact not one but many papers ran with it and Cesc and Barca gave more than one interview. But the most compelling part is the lack of evidence the other side post. Me mate told me is as good as nothing

lordgoat wrote: »
    I find it hilarious that an agent didn't ring his player to tell him a multi million pound offer was out in for him. And they player had to find out about it via the most modern of media - the newspaper. Puzzling that none of his family, friends, team mates or the agent that he employs didn't pop him a text going 'hey cesc - pick up a newspaper there and get back to me'

It's mind numbing in here how much needs to be spoon fed.

Baby bites.

That is exactly what happened and I posted Cesc saying that is exactly how it happened earlier. He was straight onto his agent and club after he was told.

Ahh cmon, I think its pretty obvious there was a f**kup in the summer, the important thing is not too let it happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

That is exactly what happened and I posted Cesc saying that is exactly how it happened earlier. He was straight onto his agent and club after he was told.

Yes he got onto his agent to ask him if there was a bid? That's how it normally works.

'Just checking there Agent. Any bids for me?'

'Actually there is man united bid for you but I wasn't arsed getting in touch'

Wtf? Do you really believe what you post? A professional footballer at one of the biggest clubs in the world had to phone his agent to ask him what was going on?

Not a clue. Not a ****ing clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Schmeichels legacy was tarnished a bit for me when he signed for City also, he didnt need to do that, he should have just retired, but thats just my opinion, im sure lots will disagree and have no problem with him playing for them.

In fairness to schmeichel city would only take kasper if he joined himself and everyone else had rejected the kid iirc. Can't blame him for looking after his son.

holy s*it, you are actually 1. obsessed with me and mitch at this stage, this is about the 20th time in a few weeks i have seen you mention us in some form in relation to the summer transfer window...its kinda cute how obsessed you are, but its also f*cking tragic.

2. you go on about us being repetitive, but my god you actually are the definition of repetitiveness, every second day your on about us be it Thiago, Ozil (you particularly love those two), today it is Cesc. tomorrow it will probably be Fellaini again, next week it will be Kheidra or Herrara.

3. almost everything me, mitch or anybody else has posted this summer is as close to the truth as you are going to get, we have given our sources, we have backed up everything we posted despite you continuing to ignore this fact.
    if you dont want to accept it then fine, despite your continuous whinging and moaning about it, we are not going to change our mind on the fanboy tripe you keep spouting in defence of Woodward.

he f*cked up, i know it, Mitch knows it and all the realistic posters on here know it.

1. Equally you and Mitch are obsessed with pushing your version on here.

2. See point one. You and Mitch hammered the Woody made a balls of it angle for a long time and you had more than just me calling you on it.]

3. The funniest thing you have said. Its so far from the truth its funny. I haven't seen one solid source from you and Mitch on this yet your happy to ignore the words of Moyes, Cesc and club officals on many matters.

You and Mitch were ticked of all summer at how the window went and slating Moyes and Woodward before even waiting for any news. You said you trust Mitch more than anyone else after he claimed to have heard something from a mate, this is as good as your information ever got. I'll be happy to re-read your sources if you post them again.

You call it continuous whinging. No its not allowing this story to be pushed on here thats not true, You have some poster blindly following your version based on nothing. You seem to think you talk on behalf of the thread at times. You said weeks back Woodward was seen generally as a clown and you were clearly told that you were speaking for yourself. Like i said i would hate anyone wandering into the thread or about to join to think your and Mitchs take on events are true or the popular opinion because they are most defeinetly not.

You keep calling those who don't believe your bs fanboys who defend Woodward when I have addressed this before and levelled criticism and him and Moyes where I think they deserve it yet you continously ignore it in favor or brabding people who dont buy this made up story fanboys.

Do you agree with Mitch that we were not willing to pay the fee for Cesc that Barca asked. The fee i have asked him to clarify three times now with no response because he made it up

lordgoat wrote: »
    Yes he got onto his agent to ask him if there was a bid? That's how it normally works.

'Just checking there Agent. Any bids for me?'

'Actually there is man united bid for you but I wasn't arsed getting in touch'

Wtf? Do you really believe what you post? A professional footballer at one of the biggest clubs in the world had to phone his agent to ask him what was going on?

Not a clue. Not a ****ing clue.

Nice tone from a mod.

Do you know the workings and personalities of every football agent and player? Maybe Cesc asked not to be disturbed. Maybe the agent knew this would not happen as Barca clearly didn't want to sell, maybe he was in touch with the club straight away. Mybe Cesc was hard to get in touch with when he was in Ibza

You were baffled about why Cesc didnt hear about it on holiday from friends or family when he did

Again in case you missed it
    "I heard about it when I was in Ibiza with friends. A friend read it in the paper and told me, then I read it."

When asked if he called Barcelona to ask what the situation was, he replied: "No, no, no. When I heard, I contacted Darren [Dein, his agent] and he confirmed that it had come out officially.

"He said: 'Yes, it's true.' He said: 'What do you want to do?' I didn't know anything about it [until then]. If a club comes in for you and you tell your representative that you want to go, then you go.

"I spoke to [Josep Maria] Bartomeu, the vice-president, and he told me: 'You're not going anywhere; we have complete confidence in you.' Then I spoke to the president.

"I was very relaxed about the whole thing because that's what they transmitted to me. It's true that they had offers, and they told me that, but the only thing in my head was staying at Barcelona."

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

A game on Sunday lads. Pretty important, a win would be a big help for us. City v Spurs and Arsenal v Southampton. Chelsea and Liverpool with tough ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    A game on Sunday lads. Pretty important, a win would be a big help for us. City v Spurs and Arsenal v Southampton. Chelsea and Liverpool with tough ones.

Cardiff away, gonna be up for the Manchester double! Hopefully be enough to keep United on their toes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Airbag, do not post in this thread again today. Failure to heed this gets you a ban.

Anyone who tries to have a dig at Airbag's posts whilst he is away or tries to bait him in another thread in this forum during that time also will receive a ban.

Come tomorrow I expect this childish crap between the same old names to have stopped, otherwise you can all get used to the idea of spending less time in this forum.

Lots of rumors that Vidic offered a two year contract the same as Carrick. would be great news for the both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Mocha Joe wrote: »

Cardiff away is going to be a big test. They are very strong at home they already beat City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Cardiff away is going to be a big test. They are very strong at home they already beat City.

It'll be tight. They've been beaten at home by Newcastle and Spurs by one goal. Drew 0-0 with Everton and beaten Swansea 1-0. Our defence looks good at the moment so hopefully Rooney and RVP are on song.

Nice tone from a mod.

Do you know the workings and personalities of every football agent and player? Maybe Cesc asked not to be disturbed. Maybe the agent knew this would not happen as Barca clearly didn't want to sell, maybe he was in touch with the club straight away. Mybe Cesc was hard to get in touch with when he was in Ibza

You were baffled about why Cesc didnt hear about it on holiday from friends or family when he did

Again in case you missed it

That's as many maybes as the other side would present is all I'm trying to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

That's as many maybes as the other side would present is all I'm trying to say.

Er mod note....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

IrishIrish wrote: »
    Schmeichel had a lot more than just his goalkeeping ability. Kahn was the same. They never stopped screaming at their defence to keep them organised and they intimidated their opposition.

No matter how good keepers like VDS, Cech etc are and how good De Gea gets, I don't think we'll ever see keepers as good all round as Schmeichel and Kahn again.
    if VDS was signed in 99 as opposed to 6 years later, i have no doubt he would be ranked as our best goal keeper of all time.

his career was only 2/3's that of Schmeichels, so the dane made a more lasting impression. as a result, i think VDS is horribly underrated by alot of United fans, including alot on here.

i think there is f*ck all between them, VDS was a truely world class keeper for us. Schmeichels legacy was tarnished a bit for me when he signed for City also, he didnt need to do that, he should have just retired, but thats just my opinion, im sure lots will disagree and have no problem with him playing for them.

Yeah I was very disappointed when Schmeichel came back to City...
    Someone also said today that he had everything - I dunno if i necessarily agree with that - he was nowhere near as assured with the ball at his feet as VDS and more so, de Gea are....
    I also think that VDS was marginally a better shot stopper than Schmeichel, I'm thinking specifically of some of the breathtaking fingertip saves the man made. That said Schmeichel was capable of some amazing stuff too.
    They had different strengths.

Nitpicking perhaps, but the art of goalkeeping has changed, so it's possibly unfair to compare Schmeichel, VDS, and de Gea.
    Schmeichel will always be a hero of mine though.

On the whole schmeichel thing. If the kasper aspect is true nevilles reaction was pretty low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Missed the debate a bit but on Ferdinand's standing when we bought him. By the time we bought him, he had commanded £50m in transfer fees. At 24. As a defender in 2002. Safe to say he was a major coup and very highly regarded in the game. World class is hard to quantify but the transfer fees speak volumes

Same goes for Rooney. England's great white hope, 30m at 18 years old, a sure thing to be one of the best in his position in the world, which he became.

RVN was highly rated but you can never be sure with players like that.

• Advertisement

if VDS was signed in 99 as opposed to 6 years later, i have no doubt he would be ranked as our best goal keeper of all time.

his career was only 2/3's that of Schmeichels, so the dane made a more lasting impression. as a result, i think VDS is horribly underrated by alot of United fans, including alot on here.

i think there is f*ck all between them, VDS was a truely world class keeper for us. Schmeichels legacy was tarnished a bit for me when he signed for City also, he didnt need to do that, he should have just retired, but thats just my opinion, im sure lots will disagree and have no problem with him playing for them.

To say he should have just retired rather than take the opportunity to play another season, even if it was with City, is harsh I think!

To say he should have just retired rather than take the opportunity to play another season, even if it was with City, is harsh I think!

He played with Sporting for two seasons before returning to Aston Villa, which disappointed me... City was a step too far.

On the whole schmeichel thing. If the kasper aspect is true nevilles reaction was pretty low.

whats this????

errm, why didnt he just play on with us then? we had just won the treble, he was hardly a liability and i am 100% sure that had he asked to stay with us for another 2 years, we would have taken it.

even VDS nearly pulled out of retirement at the last day and that would have scuppered the DDG deal.had we not had DDG lined up, VDS would perhaps have played another year. in 1999, replacements for Schmeichel were not exactly falling over themselves so i cant see why he felt he could play for another 4 years with other clubs, but couldnt give us another one or two before retiring finally.

Bowing out at the top is what its called and its why the like of Cantona, Ole, Giggs, Scholes, Neville will always hold a special status for me, compared to the likes of keane, Beckham and Schmeichel who didnt fulfill their legacy IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A good performance against Cardiff isn't too much to ask for I hope.

I'm guessing it's this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

A good performance against Cardiff isn't too much to ask for I hope.

I'd be existing a decent win there. They aren't a great side. The performance however......

whats this????

As I said earlier. Iirc he went to city because that was part of the deal for them to take kasper into the academy when the kid had been rejected by other clubs. Neville wouldn't shake he hand at a match then.

Bowing out at the top is what its called and its why the like of Cantona, Ole, Giggs, Scholes, Neville will always hold a special status for me, compared to the likes of keane, Beckham and Schmeichel who didnt fulfill their legacy IMO.

Btw that aint bowing out at the top. That's not leaving the club and they are very different things. I like that they stayed but hold no ill will to becks. Giggs is very far from bowing out at the top however you look at it.

whats this????

errm, why didnt he just play on with us then? we had just won the treble, he was hardly a liability and i am 100% sure that had he asked to stay with us for another 2 years, we would have taken it.

even VDS nearly pulled out of retirement at the last day and that would have scuppered the DDG deal.had we not had DDG lined up, VDS would perhaps have played another year. in 1999, replacements for Schmeichel were not exactly falling over themselves so i cant see why he felt he could play for another 4 years with other clubs, but couldnt give us another one or two before retiring finally.

He did go out of OT on a high! Also he was 36 and he might have felt that he would not be able to keep up the high standards; 99 was a super long season; maybe he felt it had pushed him to his limit.

I'm very happy that we dis-agree on their legacy being tainted just because they didn't retire after leaving United.

peter-schmeichel-cartwheel.jpg

No real issue with Keane.
    Soft spot for Beckham.

But Schmeichel signed for City. Of all clubs. Only perhaps Liverpool would have been worse, or Arsenal at the time.

Whatever his motives, I lost a bit of respect for him after that!

Keanes exit was the worst of the 99 lads imho.

Seems like the Baines rumours are beginning to intensify with just over a month left until the window opens. Apparently Martinez won't accept under £20 million.

I have to say this signing would sadden me because it could mean Evra moving away, I can't see him being backup when he still has a few years left in him at the top. He's definitely cemented himself as one of my favourite United players ever, his professionalism, attitude on the pitch, his love for the club, everything really. Sure some will point out flaws in his game but every player has these. It'll be a sad day if he leaves Old Trafford for good.

Hope he never leaves.

Patrice-Evra-001.jpg

ipad-art-wide-patrice-evra-420x0.jpg

1000x69035.jpg?w=650&h=448&crop=1#038;h=690

It's not the exit though that I was talking about - it's the return to another club in England, and a fierce rival that I had the problem with.

That strength of feeling has dimmed over the years though, it must be said, and like I said earlier, Schmeichel will always be a hero of mine.

Ince to Liverpool! Didn't like peter to city, but got over it after the season ended. Keane leaving was so disappointing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Seems like the Baines rumours are beginning to intensify with just over a month left until the window opens. Apparently Martinez won't accept under £20 million.

I have to say this signing would sadden me because it could mean Evra moving away, I can't see him being backup when he still has a few years left in him at the top. He's definitely cemented himself as one of my favourite United players ever, his professionalism, attitude on the pitch, his love for the club, everything really. Sure some will point out flaws in his game but every player has these. It'll be a sad day if he leaves Old Trafford for good.

Hope he never leaves.

Patrice-Evra-001.jpg

ipad-art-wide-patrice-evra-420x0.jpg

1000x69035.jpg?w=650&h=448&crop=1#038;h=690

Drives me mad at times watching him but you have to love the guy,had a dip in form but came back strong last season and popped up with a few goals,must be a great character in the dressing room

• Advertisement

Drives me mad at times watching him but you have to love the guy,had a dip in form but came back strong last season and popped up with a few goals,must be a great character in the dressing room

Baines is about 30 right? £20 million would be crazy if so.

29 on dec 11.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I don't think United would pay that for Baines, also think Evra will be gone soon regardless of who signs on in next 12 months, didn't he say as much recently?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think our interest in a LB is because Evra has told Moyes he's going soon, not that getting a new left back will be the cause of Evra going...

Why did we try and loan in Coentrao in the last minutes of the transfer window in that case, it's clear Moyes rated Baines and others ahead of Evra

I'll be sad seeing him go anyway.

the concept that we would pay £15million plus for a Left back who is pushing 30 worries and saddens me alot.

Evra needs to be replaced, we get that, but i am sure there are much better and cheaper options out there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Why did we try and loan in Coentrao in the last minutes of the transfer window in that case, it's clear Moyes rated Baines and others ahead of Evra

I'd hope the idea was to bring in someone who could provide competition for Evra in his final year and who could learn from him before he left...

I'd hope the idea was to bring in someone who could provide competition for Evra in his final year and who could learn from him before he left...

Well that's like just... your opinion man...

Easily could have been to have them as a starter as well....

Ya, also to see if contraceo (sp) would settle and give him time to bed before permanent deal?

the concept that we would pay £15million plus for a Left back who is pushing 30 worries and saddens me alot.

Evra needs to be replaced, we get that, but i am sure there are much better and cheaper options out there.

I suppose with Baines you don't have to wait for him to come really good, like we would have to do if we did buy a young LB. He's already at the level required and is 28 so could have another 5+ years left in him.

I'm not happy with the price either but could we get better for 15m?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I suppose with Baines you don't have to wait for him to come really good, like we would have to do if we did buy a young LB. He's already at the level required and is 28 so could have another 5+ years left in him.

I'm not happy with the price either but could we get better for 15m?
    Yes. Coentrao is much younger and probably a similar price.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement