Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Whatever the most consistent players seen to be.
    If you were making the best XI from two clubs combined RVP wouldn't get into city or Liverpool.

Yes he would. Don't be ridiculous.

Proving my point above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I think united will come 5th assuming Liverpool don't hit a blip which they may well. You know united will be there or thereabouts regardless of form really, it's a matter of whether Liverpool can maintain results.
    Title gone the game at OT against Liverpool will be huge whenever it is.

lol

Right so both Rooney and RVP would get in ahead of Suarez or Aguero.

true it doesn't allow for team spirit and belief, something utd seem to have lost a lot of this year. Ferguson's greatest strength was making the whole squad seem involved.

People also massively over rate their own team relative to their rivals. For example, when he's fit, I think Rafael is as good as any right back in the league.

City, Arsenal and maybe Chelsea fans would disagree.

They'd fit both in if they had them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Prufrock wrote: »
    He doesn't want to play in cm? Did he say that somewhere?

I'm not saying you're wrong I just never heard that before.

I can't see why he wouldn't want to. As a cm he could have a greater effect on the game by getting on the ball more. He would also have more time and space to play in. Who wouldn't want that?

It's the only short term solution I can see unless united break the bank for a really top cm.

He has said it. Think he said it in the Summer just gone. Something to the effect of He might play there late in his career but definitely not now. He wants to play up front. Can't blame him either. Thats where you get the glory and the big bucks. Apparently his problems with Ferguson started the end of last season when Fergie played him in midfield. He was not happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

People also massively over rate their own team relative to their rivals. For example, when he's fit, I think Rafael is as good as any right back in the league.

Was going to say this but felt it wasn't worth the hassle, but agree, a fit Rafael pisses on basically every other right back in the league with the exception of Zabaleta really. Not much between the two of them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

and everton ;). Im a liverpool fan even gary neville would be a better rb than g johnson on current form.

kryogen wrote: »
    Was going to say this but felt it wasn't worth the hassle, but agree, a fit Rafael pisses on basically every other right back in the league with the exception of Zabaleta really. Not much between the two of them

I suppose Seamus Coleman would disagree with you. I'd say Zabaleta, Rafael and Coleman are the top 3. Kyle Walker gets an honourable mention too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

GSPfan wrote: »
    I suppose Seamus Coleman would disagree with you. I'd say Zabaleta, Rafael and Coleman are the top 3. Kyle Walker gets an honourable mention too.

Coleman is flavour of the month, he is good but Rafael is better than him. Zabaleta is better than both, Azpilicueta is up there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Because he's a forward and wants to play as a forward. If he wanted to play cm you can be the would've already regularly.
    I'm also not a fan of moving your best player from their most effective position just because the team is weak elsewhere. I believe you pick your best in their best positions and build the team around them. If you move him you potentially lose your best player as an effective weapon as well as have a weakness in the door they are trying to fill.

I can see the logic in that arguement.

My take on it would be moving a player of Rooneys ability back gives him more time and space. Added to that he would spend less time with his back to goal.

Also united have rvp (when he's fit again) welbeck, chico and kagawa. Plenty of attacking options.

However if he is not interested playing deeper then that arguement is pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,392 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Well considering they've been doing what Suarez and Aguero have been doing this season for 3 or 4 seasons now I'd say yes. One half season where both have been plagued by injury (and still scoring well enough) doesn't change that. If the question was who would I rather sign if I was Madrid or Barca then the answer might be different but as it is now it's laughable to claim that they wouldn't be accommodated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Lol last year we were told RVP was the only reason United won the league, now he can't get into the Liverpool team.

He has been found out as a spoofer, Bill

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Its a silly argument, would bastian schweinsteiger get in the Barca team?

United have a number of really good players who don't need to be improved on. They have players that do need to be improved on. All the top teams in England have this in common.

He is having a very good season alright, and probably deserves to be in the mix, but Debuchy is also having a great season and I left him out too :)

For me the two best are Raf and Zab, Coleman and Debuchy are in tremendous form and may reach them, but I think they should be judged at the end of the season rather then half way through

• Advertisement

Can anyone give a reason why Ashley Young did not get a penalty? Looking back I can't see for the life of me how Lloris got away with it. Is it is reputation coming back to haunt him?

He is having a very good season alright, and probably deserves to be in the mix, but Debuchy is also having a great season and I left him out too :)

For me the two best are Raf and Zab, Coleman and Debuchy are in tremendous form and may reach them, but I think they should be judged at the end of the season rather then half way through

Definitley dont judge Debuchy after tonight. Knacker challenge. Deserved 2 red cards if you could.

Can anyone give a reason why Ashley Young did not get a penalty? Looking back I can't see for the life of me how Lloris got away with it. Is it is reputation coming back to haunt him?

Howard Webb was the ref

100% yes. Him and Januzaj.

Both nailed on fouls in short succession.

Definitley dont judge Debuchy after tonight. Knacker challenge. Deserved 2 red cards if you could.

Didn't see it, seen him a lot this season though and been very impressed by him. Knacker challenge like some of Cabayes or knacker challenge like some of Scholes'?

• Advertisement

100% yes. Him and Januzaj.

Both nailed on fouls in short succession.

It has been mentioned many times how that type of **** will end up costing us big points and tonight could have been one example alright

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I just see one problem with United trying to sign Vidal, why would he move when he's only recently signed a new deal with Juventus

Then again it is paper talk, and the transfer window period can be littered with loads of rumours

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I'd break the bank for Vidal. Ideal signing, highly unlikely though I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

The more I think about the game the more pissed I get. Webb was dreadful and we were the better team for large parts.

You'd have an easier time finding the holy grail than Chico's first touch these days. Wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

If utd don't make the top 4, which is a possibility given how well Liverpool are playing that would then make summer signings very difficult. Would be tough to get top class players if we can't offer them champions league football the following season.

Would make you think any signing now that would help the chase for fourth would be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Kovacic and baines or shaw in please. Anderson and Valencia out please.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Devil08 wrote: »
    Kovacic and baines or shaw in please. Anderson and Valencia out please.

You forgot to add Ashley Young to the list of players you want out,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    You forgot to add Ashley Young to the list of players you want out,

No I'd keep him. On his day, a good attacking threat. Has more to his game than Valencia who is the most 1 dimensional player around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

They all can't be shipped out in one go but who qualifies as dead weight, their time is up or not to standard in united squad?

Evra, Ferdinand (think his legs are gone), Anderson (no comment needed), Giggs (retirement), Nani (won't be the next Ronaldo), Fabio (would have made it by now if he was up to it), Valencia (maybe keep in squad but shouldn't be a starter), Macheda, Buttner (would like to meet the scout who thought he's a defender) and good auld Bebe.

That's a lot of dead wood, or squad players you'd only use if you were stuck. Would you shed a tear if any of the above weren't in United's squad next year? Forget the debt we owe the likes of giggs or rio- just thinking of their value going forward.

• Advertisement

Didn't see it, seen him a lot this season though and been very impressed by him. Knacker challenge like some of Cabayes or knacker challenge like some of Scholes'?

Even more stupid than either of them. Complete nonsense 100% two footed studs showing possible leg breaking lunge into a 50/50 challenge under the refs nose for no apparent reason. Luckily the other player saw in coming and just got out of the way.

It's one of the more weird decisions you'll see a footballer make. Maybe he is match fixing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You need to remember wages aswell, shipping out high earners might not free up transfer fees, but it frees up the ability to entice big players on high wages.

Anderson being shipped out would give alot of money to put towards a more effective first teamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

piggy_bank.jpg

That's Eddie breaking the bank.

If he were in any way gettable I would have no problem with that at all, perfect for us.

Highly doubt it of course.

If utd don't make the top 4, which is a possibility given how well Liverpool are playing that would then make summer signings very difficult. Would be tough to get top class players if we can't offer them champions league football the following season.

Would make you think any signing now that would help the chase for fourth would be worth it.

This is something I hear mentioned a lot, one season without CL football given the circumstance would not on its own be enough to put off top players coming, they would just need to be convinced it was a one time only thing, that we are Manchester United, they can be the superstar to lead the club back to its former glory and pay them a hell of a lot of money

Here's a thought. If Chico was up for sale, how much would we get?

15 million?

Would it be worthwhile offloading Chico now and spendind the money on a no.10 i.e. Ross Barkley, Ribeiro, Sneijder, Mata, etc. There seems to be an endless line of no. 10's on the market cause every player we look at is supposedly a no.10.

This way we can push Rooney right up top and cover the number 10 position with a new signing. This may make Rooney happy enough to stay and sign on again. I would hate to see him leave now. It would be disasterous.

I'd even try tempt Dortmund with Kagawa and see if we can negotiate for Reus with Kagawa sweetening the deal. I really think he will never show his true worth at United.

I'm just thinking that Hernandez and Kagawa are really wasted at United. Their value may never be higher than it is right now and their impact on United is not great. They would be two players I would sell if it made footballing sense. And even though swap deals never happen it could be a good negotiation tactic if Everton wanted Hernandez and Dortmund wanted Kagawa to begin talks. It would probably go over well with fans at either club.

Fantasy football moment.

Even more stupid than either of them. Complete nonsense 100% two footed studs showing possible leg breaking lunge into a 50/50 challenge under the refs nose for no apparent reason. Luckily the other player saw in coming and just got out of the way.

It's one of the more weird decisions you'll see a footballer make. Maybe he is match fixing.

Just saw it, pretty full on alright, stupid challenge, lucky the lad got out of the way

On another note, I see my favourite winger in the Championship for the last two seasons scored today as Leicester went 4 points clear (Knockaert)

As I said when we signed Zaha, I kinda wish we had signed Knockaert instead :(

Might be seeing him in the Prem next year anyway if Leicester keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Fcuk it we'll just have to with the CL this year so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

CM and LB are a huge problem at the moment and if they can be sorted out in January we have a chance of fourth otherwise I can't see it happening. Evra was an absolute disgrace today, no effort to defend or even to get back into position.

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    Fcuk it we'll just have to with the CL this year so :pac:

The worse thing about this is that Barca and Bayern could be knocked out by City and Arsenal but we still would struggle to beat them and half the other teams left. I think its gonna be an English winner this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You won't find any player more perfect to what we need than Vidal, we could double our record transfer and I wouldn't care, attacking, defending he's got it all.

I doubt we could get him though, unless we gave him Rooney grade wages

You won't find any player more perfect to what we need than Vidal, we could double our record transfer and I wouldn't care, attacking, defending he's got it all.

He would be brilliant but unlikely. It would send out a serious message if he joined. To think he only cost Juve around 10m and he had already been doing well in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

If he is as good as everybody says he's worth it, Yaya is on Rooney type money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,394 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

said it before, and I'll say it again - if United don't significantly invest over the next couple of weeks, we are not going to make the top 4. We have 10 days til the next PL game - hopefully we have a new face or two in for it. If the people in charge had any sense we would be someway towards concluding deals already, rather than only starting now. Fingers crossed.

Firstly, we can't afford to basically give up on 4th - which is what we would be doing withouth investment.
    Secondly, we need so much investment it simply doesn't make sense to leave it all to the summer.

CM
    LB
    CM
    RB
    Winger
    LB

Six players needed imo. Not all in January - but I would say at least 1 CM and a left back.

CM and LB are definitely the priority .would be excellent to have any deals done ASAP but not holding my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Would it be worthwhile offloading Chico now and spendind the money on a no.10 i.e. Ross Barkley, Ribeiro, Sneijder, Mata, etc. There seems to be an endless line of no. 10's on the market cause every player we look at is supposedly a no.10.

This way we can push Rooney right up top and cover the number 10 position with a new signing. This may make Rooney happy enough to stay and sign on again. I would hate to see him leave now. It would be disasterous.

There is absolutely no point whatsoever in United getting another number 10 when we can't even utilise the ones we already have.

Mata, Ozil, Barkley, name whoever you want, they are going to be lost floating around in front of that abortion of a midfield we currently have. The only reason Rooney looks good there is because he works hard and acts like a third midfielder, a driving force rather than a creative one.

I would prefer Rooney played right up front, same as you. But unless we get a midfieder, Rooney up top with a different number 10 behind him isn't really going to make a blind bit of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

The holes in the team and squad are plain as day to everyone and anyone, so Moyes has to be aware of them. RB cover and a LB are imperative, as is that gaping hole in the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

There is absolutely no point whatsoever in United getting another number 10 when we can't even utilise the ones we already have.

i dont know why people on this forum keep obsessing with this number 10 b*llix.

There is absolutely no reason why we could not have a team with somebody like Mata and then RVP and Rooney in it. the reason Kagawa is not working is that he is not doing it himself, nothing to do with tactics or anything, he is just not playing well.

Wayne Rooneys best position is striker, he scores goals and he should be our closes player to goal, with RVP beside him. The reason our creatvity is so sh*it, is because the other 4 lads who are being picked, are all playing s*it and its nothing to do with Rooney. i wish people would just stop wasting time on a discussion about a position that has no bearing on how we are playing and more importantly has nothing to do with our troubles - our problems are elsewhere.

cant see Mata signing for us though, so it is all irrelevent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

i wish people would just stop wasting time on a discussion about a position that has no bearing on how we are playing and more importantly has nothing to do with our troubles.

Right, here's one for you. How do you feel about Evra?

Not Evra the person (or more specifically the 'character'), but Evra the permanent left-back, main spokesman for the team and ocassional captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Moyes now in the job six months

What grade would you give him thus far???

Personally a c-, other than getting us to last 16 in Europe and SF of the mickey mouse cup we've been worse than abysmal. Big changes needed this month and the sooner they start happening the better

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement