Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

DM-ICE wrote: »
    The need to bring in six players doesn't exist to be competitive this season. A functioning midfield will make up for many of the issues with wide players and full backs.

Agreed.

So would anyone complain about a Cabaye, Coentrao quick fix ?

We would probably pay need to pay 25 mill for the Newcastle man which is over the odds, but when you look at how much city spent on Fernandinho who is good but not a top player its a a fair price and the other being a loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not big fan of Cabaye. Has periods in seasons where he is very average.

Its not what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

no, this is not true. wanting to address CM was clearly well documented but the overall quality of our football was being ignored. this was being compensated by other factors (strong defence,brilliance of Nani and Rooney in 2011, brilliance of RVP in 2013, fergie etc etc)

there has been a huge change in attitude towards our players in the past 4 months, something that was never there before. people were denying for the 12 months that RVP papered over cracks and some went hysterical at the notion we were a 1 man team.

It is true, posters on here have been crying out for signings before and after RVP arrived, its well document through this thread. Eyebrows were raised when Val was Ronnies replacement, Young raised eyebrows too, Owen wasn't exactly a signing that got us excited either.

Sure we were all happy with RVP but even them some said he was not needed and should have invested elsewhere.

We were all happy when we won the league last season but it was mentioned many a time "thank god for RVP". We could all see how poor we were in europe and how lacking in quality our squad was compared to Barca, Real, Bayerns etc.

Before and after the Barca defeats our squads were compared and many said we didn't match up. To deny the thread has been crying out for big changes is simply doing a diservice to most of the posters on here and tbh and at the risk of getting into an argument it smacks of the "I know more than you" attitude some senior posters have on here.

To say there has been a huge change in the past 4 months is nonsense its been here for a long time. If you can't see this you have your head in the sand.

NTMK wrote: »
    They're just the hard figures we've got everything else is wishy washy as You cant accurately predict total losses but atracting sponsors as well as sponsor payments will take a Hit

The £100mill would be available if the Glazers allowed it United as a company is doing very well but its down to Owners to make funds available
    irishfeen wrote: »
    On the actual numbers I have no idea but be assured like any other big business number crunching will be done on a continuous basis on different scenarios to keep the club economically successful.
    Is there anything to suggest they would want to start pumping money in though? I was under the impression (perhaps it's wrong, I haven't paid a massive amount of attention to United for the last while) that they've been taking money out rather than putting money into the club. With FFP kicking in in the next couple of years would it even be possible to put money in? Again, I don't know what United's profit/loss situation has generally been lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Not big fan of Cabaye. Has periods in seasons where he is very average.

Its not what we need.
    the only realistic player that united could buy in january though......baines reus shaw koke lallana barkley, all of these players clubs will laugh at any bid united make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    the only realistic player that united could buy in january though......baines reus shaw koke lallana barkley, all of these players clubs will laugh at any bid united make.

Some of the players would laugh too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Yep. He basically carries Newcastle, he would be a marked improvement on what we have.

He might not be a top player but he is very good and available.

Ya I agree it is one of the few realistic targets. That in itself is bit of a worry.

I dont think he be bad buy at all if he was consistent, otherwise it is a risk, a risk we cant take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Our transfer dealings have been worrying since the 2009 CL final. At the end of that season we lost Ronaldo and Tevez and replaced them with Valencia, Owen and the mighty forehead of Obertan. Compare that with how Bayern have strengthened in the past 12 months. I firmly believe that the success we had in the last 4 to 5 years has masked our inefficiency in the transfer market. We won despite investing in players who were well below a club who had designs on staying in the top echelon of European teams. Ferguson used his managerial talents to get the best out of some very average players and instilled a never say die attitude that won us games that we had no right to win. This only papered over the cracks. It might sound stupid but had we come 4th instead of 1st or 2nd in recent seasons it might have lit a fire under the Glazers to open the chequebook and get the right quality players , instead we face finishing outside the top 4 and facing into a period of uncertainty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I'd love Ole to be our manager :(

• Advertisement

Timmyctc wrote: »
    stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Give him 10-15 years and if he is successful I would also love it :pac: btw best of luck to him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

All those trophies for ye have covered up the fact the Glazers have not spent any significant money, especially when you consider the size of united. We look down on the oil clubs but they are constantly improving there squads with the best talent out there. Its what's needed for consistent success and to stop your squad going into decline where you end up with a pub player like Cleverly starting in your midfield, Fergusons don't come along too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Maybe dropping out of Europe is the best thing to happen to the club. You would expect it to force the club to spend big to regain European football and as a result, regain income.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

From the United twitter...

LOANS: Jesse Lingard, Will Keane, Davide Petrucci, Federico Macheda, Tyler Blackett & Ben Amos have all returned to #mufc from loan spells.

LOANS: Michael Keane's loan at Derby County has been extended until 31 January. Ryan Tunnicliffe's stay at Ipswich has also been extended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Maybe dropping out of Europe is the best thing to happen to the club. You would expect it to force the club to spend big to regain European football and as a result, regain income.

Bar you couldn't blame any of our top players wanting to leave or any excellent players from wanting to join.

Rooney has already tried to leave, RVP would be well within his right to force his way out and whilst I think De Gea and Rafael would stick around, they're not going to sit on a sinking ship with the clubs they could go to.

rob316 wrote: »
    All those trophies for ye have covered up the fact the Glazers have not spent any significant money, especially when you consider the size of united. We look down on the oil clubs but they are constantly improving there squads with the best talent out there. Its what's needed for consistent success and to stop your squad going into decline where you end up with a pub player like Cleverly starting in your midfield, Fergusons don't come along too often.
    I suppose you could also say the club (after not spending profits) are well capable of spending when/if they want to compete with the oil giants when the time arises... united generally don't waste much money.

How good would it be for Liverpool to get 4th place...............................................and United win the Champions league! haha

stupid

Its okay. Just keep reading plenty of books and you won't be for long :)

• Advertisement

LOANS: Jesse Lingard, Will Keane, Davide Petrucci, Federico Macheda, Tyler Blackett & Ben Amos have all returned to #mufc from loan spells.

LOANS: Michael Keane's loan at Derby County has been extended until 31 January. Ryan Tunnicliffe's stay at Ipswich has also been extended.
    I wonder could Moyes throw one of them in at the deep end after returning akin to Adnan just to shake the team up.

Thank fcuk Macheda is back anyways :P

EDIT: Just seeing. He's still only 22. Feck. Might get some money if we sell him so.

How good would it be for Liverpool to get 4th place...............................................and United win the Champions league! haha

Be lovely. Aint going to happen.

Honestly think we will struggle to get to last 8 now.

Im actually worried about Greece side.

Could be a slippery encounter alright ..

:pac:

I'll get me coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Lingard should be brought into the first team ASAP. Don't know too much about the rest. Macheda is... Macheda.

Its okay. Just keep reading plenty of books and you won't be for long :)
    So you would replace Moyes with Solksjaer? yeah because that makes sense

• Advertisement

I tend to be fairly positive in life and United are no different - the fact is we did plenty to beat Everton, Newcastle and Spurs on a normal day ... Keep the faith, you would never no - the champions league is a different kettle of fish - not saying we will win it but even with our limitations we could still on our day give anyone a scare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Is Mata the type of player that would benefit United? Considering ye already have Kagawa/Rooney that plays as a no10 at times. Asking because of his availability

So you would replace Moyes with Solksjaer? yeah because that makes sense

No I said I wish he was our manager. As in I would have loved Fergie to have hand picked Ole as our manager. I could suffer better with someone like him dragging us through the dark ages as hes a young manager. Unlike Moyes whos rather set in his ways you would imagine.

Ah they are very poor, PSG hammered them 4-1 away from home. United will brush them aside imo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I wouldn't see the benefit of replacing Moyes with Ole, unless it was done in a way where Ole was to be Interm Manager, with a message from the board saying "We were thick to think we could replace Fergie so quickly, we will now spend the next 5 months interviewing and getting the appointment right!"

• Advertisement

I tend to be fairly positive in life and United are no different - the fact is we did plenty to beat Everton, Newcastle and Spurs on a normal day ... Keep the faith, you would never no - the champions league is a different kettle of fish - not saying we will win it but even with our limitations we could still on our day give anyone a scare.

I hope you're right.

I want remain confident.

Its time like these that we need to get behind the team. Easy when we are winning 3/4-0.

I think we can turn things around, but I do think we need buy LB and CM in next couple of weeks.

We need to mix things up. It cant be worse then 1st half of season.

Is Mata the type of player that would benefit United? Considering ye already have Kagawa/Rooney that plays as a no10 at times. Asking because of his availability
    I'd love to sign the lad, always liked him - best midfielder at Chelsea for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I'd love to sign the lad, always liked him - best midfielder at Chelsea for me.

How does he fit in at United considering ye dont play 4-3-3 all that often and he cant play centre midfield or on the wing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

How does he fit in at United considering ye dont play 4-3-3 all that often and he cant play centre midfield or on the wing..
    free role from LW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Macheda, a striker with a stunning 7 goals in 62 senior league appearances (according to wiki). I don't see anyone paying cash money for that. Google also claims his salary is 600k a year. Mind, blown.

Macheda, a striker with a stunning 7 goals in 62 senior league appearances (according to wiki). I don't see anyone paying cash money for that. Google also claims his salary is 600k a year. Mind, blown.

A stunning 9 goals in 88 games overall. Meh. Derby County paid 1.2 million for Conor Sammon. Theres hope for us all really.

I hope you're right.

I want remain confident.

Its time like these that we need to get behind the team. Easy when we are winning 3/4-0.

I think we can turn things around, but I do think we need buy LB and CM in next couple of weeks.

We need to mix things up. It cant be worse then 1st half of season.
    Remember Liverpool in 05 and Chelsea in 2012 - league form can be put aside for the CL ... Of course things will change around for the better sooner rather then later, only a minor blip for which Arsenal, Chelsea, City and Liverpool all have went through regularly when Ferguson was putting them in the shade.

AND remember our last 8 games are very very winnable, that's almost 25 points for which we could if things even sightly improve take, get to the last 8 in CL, League/FA Cup finals are still very much in our own destiny - (I did say I was positive :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

It would almost be worth it just to troll Liverpool. We finish well outside the top four 8th or 9th and they finally get top four but we win the UCL. Can you imagine? :pac:

The banter and looks of disgust would be priceless
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    Lingard should be brought into the first team ASAP. Don't know too much about the rest. Macheda is... Macheda.

Should be called Meh-cheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

If that Chelsea team in 2012 could beat Barcelona and Bayern to win it, anything is possible! Very slim chance though I agree, probably around 3% likely.

Blatter wrote: »
    If that Chelsea team in 2012 could beat Barcelona and Bayern to win it, anything is possible! Very slim chance though I agree, probably around 3% likely.
    The thing is in the PL teams have seemed to have lost their fear of being torn apart by United if they go for it (they would usually go for a draw and sit back and defend). Even the best European sides would still look at United (PL Champions) and take us very seriously (probably sitting back at OT) - we are not a bad team (Remember the Arsenal match) and have players like Rooney and RVP which could score from nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

The thing is in the PL teams have seemed to have lost their fear of being torn apart by United if they go for it (they would usually go for a draw and sit back and defend). Even the best European sides would still look at United (PL Champions) and take us very seriously (probably sitting back at OT) - we are not a bad team and have players like Rooney and RVP which could score from nothing.

I agree with this.

When we are faced with a team in the CL, we usually go on that team's reputation as well as its players' individual reputations, not their recent form as a guide to what they're up against.

Form does come into it, but is a secondary consideration usually imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Ah they are very poor, PSG hammered them 4-1 away from home. United will brish them aside imo

You'll be in for a surprise if you think they are very poor! They played quite well against PSG in the first half of that game but conceded some silly goals from set pieces in the second half, they beat Benfica at home and were unlucky not to beat them away. I know it's only the Greek league but they are unbeaten in the league 16 wins and a draw so they will be very confident, on paper its a good draw but it's a very tricky game for United and by no means a gimme.

I agree with this.

When we are faced with a team in the CL, we usually go on that team's reputation as well as its players' individual reputations, not their recent form as a guide to what they're up against.

Form does come into it, but is a secondary consideration usually imo.
    Yeah exactly and if any team is drawn against us they would step back and say over two legs it will be tough ... the sooner a team in the PL comes to Old Trafford and get a hiding 4 or 5 nil the better, maybe two on the trot then you will see the fear returning and teams sitting back once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just watching Football Gold on Sky,how I miss the days of our wingers putting in pinpoint crosses.The Liverpool game which ended 2-2 was on,for Yorke's goal,Keane played in Beckham who didn't even look up & put the ball right on Yorke's head,now we have Valencia who sees the fullback & stops to think then either hits the ball against him or passes it backwards.

That was also the game where I lost all respect for Ince for his carry on after scoring & when the game was over.

The 94/95 season is on now showing us against City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Yeah if anything i'm more worried about the lack of guile going forward - we have in recent games seen plenty of possession but are doing fcuk all with it and can't seem to buy goals.

It seems we even lack a plan A. Our best bet is passing it out to the right wing and hoping for the best, or failing that, kick & chase. We have 423 failed crosses this year and rank last in attempts to play through the middle of the park. That says it all about us imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

spiralism wrote: »
    We have 423 failed crosses this year and rank last in attempts to play through the middle of the park. That says it all about us imo.

wow. where did you see this?

can somebody send this to P Neville or even Moyes himself please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We have a plan A that only really works well against shít defences, and no plan B

Shocking from a team hoping to compete with the best in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Aye, Utd. shouldn't be depending on a peon decision to go their way to get a draw with Spurs at home. It's a bad sign that Moyes made such a big deal about that when the midfield looked lethargic, the defence made some silly mistakes for the goals and the strikers had little to work with up the other end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

wow. where did you see this?

can somebody send this to P Neville or even Moyes himself please?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11096/9098542/style-issues

Good read on what's wrong with us actually

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement