Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I hate this defence of Moyes by saying it was always going to be tough

The team that pissed the league is now mid table and playing totally **** football. That's supposed to be natural to Fergie retiring? Where's the transition? If no new players come in January it will be worse than what happened in the summer.

Swansea on Sunday in the cup, they are jaded and not in great form, surely we can't even fcuk that up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

IvySlayer wrote: »

The team that pissed the league is now mid table and playing totally **** football. That's supposed to be natural to Fergie retiring? Where's the transition? If no new players come in January it will be worse than what happened in the summer.

Swansea on Sunday in the cup, they are jaded and not in great form, surely we can't even fcuk that up?

It was always gonna be tough, thats just a fact, doesnt matter if you hate it.

The team that pissed the league has been missing its stand out performers for big parts of the season and is a year older. We were playing **** football, not as ****, but **** football for a few seasons now. Not a new phenomenon either.

For the Swansea game Id love to see him try a new system, give the lads like Zaha a shot now, who cares about the league cup in reality? Is a season where we finish outside the top 4 but win the league cup going to be anything other then a failure anyway? No of course not.

Play Zaha, play Kagawa in his preferred spot, play Chicha and pray he starts to find form, play Anderson, he cant do much worse then the midfield as is, play Carrick for game time, play Fabio, please play Fabio, I know Ill be seeing Buttner at left back so please play Fabio right back Moyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Something I was thinking about recently, do Utd need a new right back? Maybe not first choice, but a good squad player instead of playing either Smalling/Valencia/Jones out of position. Rafael has had a bad season (injury wise) so it mightn't be a bad area to look.

Adding to that, I saw a rumour on Twitter (take what you want) that going for Baines is just a smokescreen for a serious bid for Seamus Coleman. Might not be anything major, just an interesting one (Agent_NW for anyone looking).

Also obviously Moyes just left Everton, but why are Everton players seemingly the first ones linked all the time. Fellaini has signed, along with a manager and backroom staff which doesn't leave much room for bidding for more Everton players. Are they going to sell 2/3 players to the same club in the space of 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Something I was thinking about recently, do Utd need a new right back? Maybe not first choice, but a good squad player instead of playing either Smalling/Valencia/Jones out of position. Rafael has had a bad season (injury wise) so it mightn't be a bad area to look.

Adding to that, I saw a rumour on Twitter (take what you want) that going for Baines is just a smokescreen for a serious bid for Seamus Coleman. Might not be anything major, just an interesting one (Agent_NW for anyone looking).

Also obviously Moyes just left Everton, but why are Everton players seemingly the first ones linked all the time. Fellaini has signed, along with a manager and backroom staff which doesn't leave much room for bidding for more Everton players. Are they going to sell 2/3 players to the same club in the space of 12 months?

We have cover for Rafael - his brother. He's just not being given a chance. Smalling and Jones can do a job at RB but IMO not in the current system. They don't overlap as well as Raf and their delivery is poor. They would be fine if we weren't so over-reliant on wing play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

IvySlayer wrote: »

Of course it was going to be tough but circumstances have made it much tougher.

Vidic is struggling with an injury, Evra is shockingly out of form, Rafael can't get fit and Ferdinand who was brilliant last year has been terrible. That's the back four who were like rocks the 2nd half of last season and all are injured or out of form.

Carrick who is essential has been injured, Anderson i don't know and Fellaini our midfield signing was playing with an injury and Nani can't get fit.

Our top scorer from last season has been injured and Hernandez just looks shot of confidence.

I think if we had all these injuries last season we would have dropped some silly points also. We were poor in loads of games last year but RVP dragged us out or our defense was brilliant. This season no RVP and the individual mistakes from our defenders are happening very frequently. The performances have been poor and Moyes deserves some blame but not all of it. A good few players need to take a long look at themselves. I don't know if Moyes is the answer but i would like to see what direction he can take the team with our best players back and some new signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Robson99 wrote: »
    Luke Shaw and Modric would be nice
    That will do pig, that will do!

Id love an explanation on why Fabio is so unused, if its cause Moyes doesnt think much of him fair enough, carrying niggles fair enough, **** in training, again fair enough. The not knowing why he has had I think 1 appearance,as a sub where he scored and seemed to be saying goodbye to the fans is annoying though!

He did start a league game didnt he? So 1 start, 1 sub appearance (where he was brought on in the 90th minute) this season, love to know why thats all

kryogen wrote: »
    Id love an explanation on why Fabio is so unused, if its cause Moyes doesnt think much of him fair enough, carrying niggles fair enough, **** in training, again fair enough. The not knowing why he has had I think 1 appearance,as a sub where he scored and seemed to be saying goodbye to the fans is annoying though!

He did start a league game didnt he? So 1 start, 1 sub appearance this season, love to know why thats all

His treatment from both Moyes and Ferguson absolutely baffles me. There were opportunities to rest Evra or even Raf and play Fabio instead.

Trivia: Fabio and Rafael's two goals each for Man Utd share a sibling symmetry of sorts; Fabio's strikes have come against Wigan away and Arsenal at home, while Rafael has netted against Arsenal at home and Wigan away.

Thought that was cool :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

kryogen wrote: »
    Thought that was cool :)

expect they both have more than two goals!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

KH25 wrote: »
    His treatment from both Moyes and Ferguson absolutely baffles me. There were opportunities to rest Evra or even Raf and play Fabio instead.

I thought it was clear he hasnt developed as well as his brother, hence the loan moves where he was pretty terrible for QPR anytime I saw him.

I'd imagine he will be sold unless he has a drastic turn in ability

No need to sell him, he is out of contract anyway at the end of the season I believe.

Sending him on loan to QPR was a disaster, very hard to look good in that defence and with the dressing room how it was Id imagine.

He seemed to be coming along very well in his development tbf, like his brother, injury seems to be his biggest problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Headshot wrote: »
    Any manager after Fergie would of been a gambled even Jose or Pep but getting a manager that has a record of winning, of transforming teams, who is tactically aware and has European pedigree would lesson the blow of losing Fergie. Also someone that has a bigger than life personality and a great man manager.

That is a tall ask you may said but in the summer we had Jose but come this summer my ideal candidates would be

Klopp. The man is the ideal replacement, I would smuggle him out of Germany and take him to Old Trafford and pay him what ever he wants to manage our team.

Other names that I have the highest regard for
    Conte. Has transformed Juve
    Van Gaal
    Simeone. Players love him, fans love him and again has transformed a team that has always been known for choking into a team that might actually break the Barca R.Madrid mini league
    What about the other Prem teams who also changed managers - Chelsea, City, Everton - they all were able to bring in players in the summer and are much improved since last year. So I'm not buying the whole transition excuse.

Also it was Moyes who chose his back room staff. I know Muelensteen "left" but I think he has a bigger influence on the team in the last few years than people realize.
    e.g. he runs the show here:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

TheDoc wrote: »
    You know up to that point, that could easily be a carbon copy for Ferguson, and was some of the arguments put against him before he arrived. For his success in Scotland, it was undermined and rubbished by a lot of UK press.

It is simply belittling, stupid and crast to say Moyes has achieved nothing in football, it is actually making me so angry.

"Achievement" in football is not all about trophies. Not every manager is blessed with being handed the reigns of a powerful club and being able to ACTUALLY win trophies. At some point, you need to take a punt on someone, and we did.

There is PLENTY of evidence to suggest that Moyes has been a successful manager in the premier league. I'd love to see how a Mourinho would do in a club on a shoe string budget, where the players need to be coached. I'd imagine not to well.

Moyes has extensive experience in the premier league, and took a club who were in the pits and made them a cohesive unit that caused problems for EVERY team they played. He got involved in Everton at every level, and for years had Everton punching above their weight.

He has a REAL nack for identifying talent and nurturing youth. Look at the players that came from under his stewardship, he had to sell them on simply because of the clubs financial needs. Martinez hasn't magically discovered Barkley, he has been there for years, nurtured and prepared, like Rodwell and Rooney before him, among many others. He identified Coleman as a potentially top class wing back, and look at how he is playing. He took Leighton Baines from Reading who was an average LB, and made him someone to challenge Ashley Coles monopoly.

He has come into the biggest club in England, handed a squad who strolled to the title, yet quickly identified some areas he wanted to strengthen. Areas we all agree in. The business didnt get done, unfortunate. But he knows the areas he needs to strengthen.

No one could have imagined the dip in form of premier league champions. Maybe Ferguson, maybe that's why he sprung ship. And you know what maybe Ferguson did work magic and get the players playing ebtter then they are, but it's stupid to assume anyone else can do the same.

I said it ten times before and I'll say it again. I really feel strong about people calling for his head already. It shows fickle mindness that I always laughed at Man City,Spurs, Chelsea etc. over. I don't understand how anyone could be saying 2 out of his depth" and the likes.

A)Inherited a squad with SERIOUS problems, one transfer window and pre-season to address before league defence.
    B)Stalwart CB over the hill
    C)Stalwart LB over the hill
    D)Midfield void of creativity and toughness
    E)Enacting transfer dealings with a new inexperienced chief exec
    F)Injury to first choice right back causing out of position players

After the issues with the transfer window in the summer, due to inexperience on the chief execs part, not the manager, it was safe to assume that lessons would be learned. No big signings happen in Janaury, let's be real. I can't see anyone big coming. That leaves the summer.

Next summer Moyes will have had a full season, and two pre seasons and dealing in his third transfer market. I would imagine at this point the rot will be gone, and some new fresh talent will be in.

That then leads to a second season, where the hope would be the manager is more comfortable with his surroundings, signings will have settled, and a system is in place and understood.

This notion of Moyes being a nothing manager, out of his depth, undeserving etc. needs to be thrown out. And people spouting that ****e need to get a grip, if your not knowledgeable enough to understand how football works, don't spout your ill informed bull****. You known or alot of people, the most successful manager in world football, personally selecting someone, should be enough and the arguement about suitability should end there.

But if you need to look deeper, we hired on one of the most consistent high performing managers in English football, who is experienced in working in all segements of a football club for extended periods, while developing and integrating youth into a high performance premier league side.

Also catching some posts on "crossing" stats. Maybe alot of guys around here don't remember before the Ronaldo years, but our premier league success was built on wingers....we refined 4-4-2, we got a name for explosive breaking football, and we won championships by our wingers putting crosses into the box. Moyes isnt bringing in a new tactic, he is continuing on what won us championships. Debate about modern football all you like, but the focus on "crossing" is a tad ironic in my book.

IMHO you've nailed every point excellently.

Very few people walk into a new job and performs at their potential straight away. It takes time.

Even fewer people walk into a new job, where they've four key departments, essential to their success, and all of them have had massive issues:
    • Defense: Vidic has missed a good few games and not played consistently, Rio has declined remarkably as a footballer in the last 6 months, Evra is not capable defensively. Rafael has had two spells out with injuries and the other options at RB are not at the required standard in that position.
    • Midfield: Massive hole in the CM and a severe lack of quality. Carrick has been injured and has been the one holding the midfield together for 3 to 4 years at least. The wingers are not up to standard and all have performed very very poorly except an unproven 18 year old. We're relying on a 40 year old for creativity of any description.
    • Forwards: The Rooney saga during the Summer, which Fergie left behind, did not help anyone. United were totally reliant on RVP last season, and he has been out for 2 different spells with injuries.
    • Chief Exec: New and inexperience at negotiating transfers, resulted in missing out on key transfers which were badly needed.

Not to forget, that a lot of these problems we left behind and now the new manager has to pick up the slack. For a long time, we've managed to dig out results despite the standard of football being poor, and our squad not being close to the strongest in the league. Add to that, that you don't flick some sort of magical switch and wipe away 26 years of stability. A lot of people have been at the club for years and simply do not know any different than there being one "boss" at the club.

Seriously, google "managing change" and look at the thousands of articles, whitepapers, diagrams, theories, research, etc behind it. But none of that seems to matter because the all-knowing, all-seeing, football fan who has seen their team lose 6 games knows best of all.

Seriously, everyone needs time. If he does miss out on Champions League this year, it'll be insanely tough to take, but Moyes needs to be given two full years, minimum. He will find his level eventually and only then should we people be the judge, jury and executioner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Reading over last few days posts and refreshing to see a few well thought out, well constructed posts about why things were going to be different this season with a new manager.

Also highly bloody embarrassing, both as a United fan as well as a football fan, to see some say that they'd prefer Martinez to Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

v3ttel wrote: »
    Seriously, everyone needs time. If he does miss out on Champions League this year, it'll be insanely tough to take, but Moyes needs to be given two full years, minimum. He will find his level eventually and only then should we people be the judge, jury and executioner.

has moyes done anything in his career to tell you that he will be capable of becoming a success at a club the size of manchester united?

the club won't get rid of him at the end of the season. they've invested into giving ferguson's choice a chance over a number of years. the glazers have also shown in the us that they are willing to give a manager time.

but 100% this is the wrong manager to give this oppurtunity. Every year he stays here is at best a waste of time and worst is causing long term damage to the club.

it was a ridiculous appointment suggested by ferguson for a friend who's only redeemable quality was consistancy and that he was scottish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Can't see Moyes experimenting in the league cup at all being honest.

Winning the cup might give him a highlight that can be used to defend the league position. Don't think he's going to stray too much from the norm at this stage in the competition and will be desperate to get the win than try anything new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Can't see Moyes experimenting in the league cup at all being honest.

Winning the cup might give him a highlight that can be used to defend the league position. Don't think he's going to stray too much from the norm at this stage in the competition and will be desperate to get the win than try anything new.

I agree he doesn't have the balls to do the right thing, he's been taking the easy option all season instead of making bold decisions and trying to make the best of his squad.

I understand people want to give Moyes time and nobody should rubbish his achievements at Everton. But his first 6 months as United boss have been a failure.

Smalling and Jones have been fit for the majority of the season as has Evra yet the manager had failed to settle the defence, Fabio's whereabouts are a mystery.

Midfield : Upset by injury and underperformance but Moyes has failed in using Kagawa effectively (Fergie got a few performances out of him) , Cleverley has regressed horribly, Valencia. Anderson and Zaha have not featured so are just collecting thier wages. Adnan and Young returning to form have been a plus.

Forwards: RVP has been unfit all season and a shadow of the player we had last year.Clearly not enjoying his football and clearly frustrated on the pitch. Blame falls on the manager who repeatedly rushed him back instead of going with alternatives.

Rooney mostly fantastic and has dragged us though the first 6 months of the season. Starting to look as frustrated as RVP the deeper he plays.

Welbeck, stepped up to the plate since RVP got injured should have been played earlier in the season

Hernandez: Shadow of the player we know and love, completely overlooked earlier in the season for the unfit RVP. Completely underutilized. Wouldn't blame him for leaving and some people wouldn't mind him gone which was incomprehensible 6 months ago.

Add a non existent style of football, we have seen nothing to suggest Moyes will turn things around.

People are feeding of blind faith, but this is the biggest club in the world and I see very few positives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

beno619 wrote: »
    I agree he doesn't have the balls to do the right thing, he's been taking the easy option all season instead of making bold decisions and trying to make the best of his squad.

I understand people want to give Moyes time and nobody should rubbish his achievements at Everton. But his first 6 months as United boss have been a failure.

Smalling and Jones have been fit for the majority of the season as has Evra yet the manager had failed to settle the defence, Fabio's whereabouts are a mystery.

Midfield : Upset by injury and underperformance but Moyes has failed in using Kagawa effectively (Fergie got a few performances out of him) , Cleverley has regressed horribly, Valencia. Anderson and Zaha have not featured so are just collecting thier wages. Adnan and Young returning to form have been a plus.

Forwards: RVP has been unfit all season and a shadow of the player we had last year.Clearly not enjoying his football and clearly frustrated on the pitch. Blame falls on the manager who repeatedly rushed him back instead of going with alternatives.

Rooney mostly fantastic and has dragged us though the first 6 months of the season. Starting to look as frustrated as RVP the deeper he plays.

Welbeck, stepped up to the plate since RVP got injured should have been played earlier in the season

Hernandez: Shadow of the player we know and love, completely overlooked earlier in the season for the unfit RVP. Completely underutilized. Wouldn't blame him for leaving and some people wouldn't mind him gone which was incomprehensible 6 months ago.

Add a non existent style of football, we have seen nothing to suggest Moyes will turn things around.

People are feeding of blind faith, but this is the biggest club in the world and I see very few positives.
    would agree in large parts with this.

As to what the exact problems are, and more importantly, the causes of these problems are, is the discussion I feel.

We are playing poorly for the most part - predictable play - get it to the wing, hoof it in to the box. Rinse and Repeat.

My main concern with Moyes is this approach, and what it means for him/us. there are two options as I see it.

1. He sets up the team this way because he sees it as the best option for the current group of players.
    2. He sets up the team this way because this is how he wants United to play.

If it is 1, then ok - getting in some players (like Vidal, Fabregas, Modric, Mata etc) should see a different approach from United that could/should benefit the team and players like Rooney and RVP.

If it is 2, then I am in the Moyes out camp - as this 'style' is shocking and not fit for purpose.

Based on the issue being '1' - we HAVE to sign players in this window. The current United side, playing the current brand of football will not make the top 4. A change needs to be implemented NOW. It may mean we have to overpay for the players, but that is the price we pay for the disgraceful summer. It may also mean we miss out on our top targets (Fabregas, for example) but again, this is the price we pay for messing around in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

would agree in large parts with this.

As to what the exact problems are, and more importantly, the causes of these problems are, is the discussion I feel.

We are playing poorly for the most part - predictable play - get it to the wing, hoof it in to the box. Rinse and Repeat.

My main concern with Moyes is this approach, and what it means for him/us. there are two options as I see it.

1. He sets up the team this way because he sees it as the best option for the current group of players.

If it is 1, then ok - getting in some players (like Vidal, Fabregas, Modric, Mata etc) should see a different approach from United that could/should benefit the team and players like Rooney and RVP.

If it is 2, then I am in the Moyes out camp - as this 'style' is shocking and not fit for purpose.

Based on the issue being '1' - we HAVE to sign players in this window. The current United side, playing the current brand of football will not make the top 4. A change needs to be implemented NOW. It may mean we have to overpay for the players, but that is the price we pay for the disgraceful summer. It may also mean we miss out on our top targets (Fabregas, for example) but again, this is the price we pay for messing around in the summer.

there already was a formula for getting the best out of the current squad. And as much as it was sh*t on a stick at times, if he's going to transition into a better side, then he could have learnt from it instead of clearing out the whole primary coaching staff and replacing them with everton's backroom staff.

his football at everton was rotten. It'll be the same at united.

So it's a case of option 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

What manager has ever changed their teams style of play? Players sometimes will probably dictate the style to a certain amount but what manager has ever said "Oh this isn't working, I think I'll completely change what I'm doing."

It doesn't happen. He will play the exact same way until its successful or he's fired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

But what if it it is option 1?

Because after 20 games of piss poor performance it quite clearly isn't the best option for the current group of players, and for the coaching staff to continue to think it is, well, that doesn't reflect well on the coaching staff.

I honestly dont think he knows what style of football he wants to play. Ignoring Fabio makes no sense if he intends on utilizing wing play.

Im not in the Moyes out camp but I cant stand the use his Everton achievements as some sort defense on his first 6 months as United boss. Everton is not Manchester.

Other managers in new jobs have excelled in the first few months with lesser squads and finances.

2 signings in January could change our season, but nobody expects it to happen which is sad quite frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I know he's going to a rival but unfortunately they arent a rival of ours this season but it will be great to see Berba at Arsenal. He belongs at that level tbh

• Advertisement

But what if it it is option 1?

Because after 20 games of piss poor performance it quite clearly isn't the best option for the current group of players, and for the coaching staff to continue to think it is, well, that doesn't reflect well on the coaching staff.

Well look at the players we have - in central midfield we have Carrick, Cleverley, Fellaini, Anderson and Giggs. How are we going to change to a more centrally dynamic side, with those options?

it is the very public pursuit of Fabregas that is key here, imo. If we were really in for him and expecting to get him (the way we conducted ourselves has me doubting it) then it HAS to point at a different plan of attack.

Currently we are playing with two deep midfielders, wingers and forwards. Fabregas would have been useless and underutilized as a deep sitting midfielder, so it surely wasn't the plan. I have to think that had we got Fabregas, we would have been looking to play a brand of football with more variation than we are seeing. the basic setup might have been similar (an offset of 442) but I think we would have seen a bit more freedom and impact from Fabregas than we have from Cleverley. Rooney and RVP wouldn't have been restricted to feeding on crosses then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Ole at Old Trafford in 3 weeks time is going to be a weird one. a bad result or two between here and there and certain sections of our fans will give him a better reception than Moyes.

not going to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Out of interest I had a look back at Jurgen Klopps managerial record there this morning (as he is an alternative you regularly hear).

Since I don't specifically follow the Bundesliga or play Football manager I was interested to read that he spent 8 years at Mainz and even got relegated and then resigned when he failed to get promoted.
    A struggling Dortmund took a punt on him, it took him 3 seasons to get them to that all conquering season they had a couple of years back.

They are also 12 points behind Bayern in the league after less games than us.

As I saw on another forum - as ever the problem is midfield.

The defence (while not at its best) needs more protect and our forwards need better service. Midfield is the key, and it always is the key in football.

Ole at Old Trafford in 3 weeks time is going to be a weird one. a bad result or two between here and there and certain sections of our fans will give him a better reception than Moyes.

not going to help.

Heard on the radio there this morning about of some of Vinny Tans alleged criticisms.....not shooting enough from their own half and no goals from the keeper... it's a shot to nothing for Ole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Leftist wrote: »
    there already was a formula for getting the best out of the current squad. And as much as it was sh*t on a stick at times, if he's going to transition into a better side, then he could have learnt from it instead of clearing out the whole primary coaching staff and replacing them with everton's backroom staff.

his football at everton was rotten. It'll be the same at united.

So it's a case of option 2.

In fairness it's just like watching us last year tactics wise. The formula is their ok but you have to factor into account injuries. We all said last year we would be lost without Carrick. We are missing RVP's goals and our three best defenders Rafael, Vidic and Ferdinand from last season have been injured or out of form. Looking back you would say last season our top 5 best players RVP, Carrick, Vidic, Ferdinand and Rafael. All of them have barely been available all season people have to take this into account. If we had those injuries last season we would have had big problems also.

Also his football at Everton was not horrible at all. He played with two attacking full backs and two wingers with a free role. I watched them more than once play City off the park. It's obvious he feels the team is so limited and is trying to grind out results. I would like to let him sign 4 or 5 players and let him put his own stamp on the club.

Not looking forward to 12pm.... I like to think that United are trying hard to bring in a couple of players, a couple of players that we badly need. But I know in the press conference Moyes will basically say we plan on doing nothing in January - and it will depress me greatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

ericzeking wrote: »
    Heard on the radio there this morning about of some of Vinny Tans alleged criticisms.....not shooting enough from their own half and no goals from the keeper... it's a shot to nothing for Ole.

Apparently Anyone working for him, including players & staff at Cardiff, are contractually bound to have a framed picture of him in their homes

Not looking forward to 12pm.... I like to think that United are trying hard to bring in a couple of players, a couple of players that we badly need. But I know in the press conference Moyes will basically say we plan on doing nothing in January - and it will depress me greatly.

How about a new contract for Fletcher? Just like a new signing.....!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ericzeking wrote: »
    Out of interest I had a look back at Jurgen Klopps managerial record there this morning (as he is an alternative you regularly hear).

Since I don't specifically follow the Bundesliga or play Football manager I was interested to read that he spent 8 years at Mainz and even got relegated and then resigned when he failed to get promoted.
    A struggling Dortmund took a punt on him, it took him 3 seasons to get them to that all conquering season they had a couple of years back.

They are also 12 points behind Bayern in the league after less games than us.

As if anything as dull as reality matters to the average United fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Apparently Anyone working for him, including players & staff at Cardiff, are contractually bound to have a framed picture of him in their homes
    He is the JFK of our times :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

TheDoc wrote: »
    It is simply belittling, stupid and crast to say Moyes has achieved nothing in football, it is actually making me so angry.....

Beautiful Danny boy, beautiful post

Does there actually seem to be anything fairly concrete about United and this window?

Does there actually seem to be anything fairly concrete about United and this window?

That we wont be getting anyone

Absolutely nothing. I hope Coentrao will happen, but im expecting another deadline day dash or no action at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I think Moyes will stick it out until the summer with the current squad (though i'd loved to be proven wrong and see at least 2 new players arrive this month)

Major squad overhaul definitely needed in the summer, clear out some of the deadwood

Headshot wrote: »
    That we wont be getting anyone

:P Thats what I thought. Everybody seems to think United will strengthen this window, but as far as I can see there is no real definite intention to do so. In most windows there's at least 1 story that seems to be true (Baines and Fellaini come to mind). The build up to January has been eerily quiet for United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Whats disappointed me about the Moyes reign thus far is that he's stated he knew we needed to improve in certain area's (i.e. midfield) and he failed to do that over the summer. I believed in the intervening 4 months that he and Woodward would have something done in advance of this window, but seeing him trotting out the Fergie line of no value, blah blah has me convinced they have done nothing or failed in any attempts they made...

And this is the crux of the problem I had with Moyes appointment. How could he attract the top quality players to the club??? Yes the club will always attract attention but the next thing most players want to know is who'll be my manager and this is where Moyes will never stand up against a Mourinho, Guardiola, Heyneckes, Ancellotti etc etc.. any foreign player will say - David who????? This means buying locally and we all know the United tax of £10m+ on any players value in the market aka Baines, Shaw or anyone else...

This will put us into a catch 22 situation and the board need to see this for what it is and not flute about and wait for things to happen. Enough of this we're United we don't sack managers etc etc 6 defeats in 20 league games (4 at home is unacceptable) This is a results driven business and our manager is not delivering results...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

This window, at best, will consist of possibly recalling Powel and a loan move for a LB, possibly and preferably Coentrao.

Other than that, we will enter our 6th season of saying 'We will def sign another midfielder this summer'. Fellaini does count of course, but I think now more than ever it was glaringly obvious of the need for two CMS. Add in the fact that Kagawa will not make it at United, our wingers are truly awful bar Januzaj and Carrick is near 33, we need a complete midfield revamp.

Well looks like Alex Buttner is on his way out of Old Trafford

http://www.eyefootball.com/news/17198/Man-Utd-defender-Alex-Buttner-Galatasaray.html

Manchester United full back Alexander Buttner has been told that he is free to leave Old Trafford and is reportedly nearing a transfer to Turkish giants Galatasaray. The Dutch defender is no longer needed at David Moyes' side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Well looks like Alex Buttner is on his way out of Old Trafford

http://www.eyefootball.com/news/17198/Man-Utd-defender-Alex-Buttner-Galatasaray.html

Hopefully we'll be announcing a fullback signing imminently so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement