Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just reading that Sidney Sam who'll be playing against us next week has a buyout clause of just €2.5 million.He did pretty well against England the other night and is having a decent season.
    Speaking of wingers,Di Maria could be bought for €21 million and reports are that he's top of our shopping list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Liam O wrote: »
    Yes. Coentrao is much younger and probably a similar price.

He's good but I don't know if he's better than Baines now. He has got 4 1/2 years left on his contract with Madrid so won't be going cheap and he's 2 years younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

He's good but I don't know if he's better than Baines now. He has got 4 1/2 years left on his contract with Madrid so won't be going cheap and he's 2 years younger.

He's 25, 26 in March, so he's a good bit younger in football terms.

He's more versatile than Baines too, has played left back, left midfield and DM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Bowing out at the top is what its called and its why the like of Cantona, Ole, Giggs, Scholes, Neville will always hold a special status for me, compared to the likes of keane, Beckham and Schmeichel who didnt fulfill their legacy IMO.

Cantona could have gone on for another couple of years. He retired at 30/31 and only played approx 150 games for us. Pity we didnt get a couple mor out of him.
    Giggs should have possibly retired 2 years ago Homer if he was to bow out at the top.
    Keane will always be a legend. He was totally committed to Utd and IMO he fulfilled a legacy at Utd.
    I agree re Beckham, however I would still hold him in very high regard and was our best right sided player after CR over the last 30 years
    Schmeichal had his best seasons with us. I wouldnt get too hung up about him joining city at nearly 40 years of age, It didnt cost us anything.

Of them all Keanes exit dissapointed me the most. He was the captain of the ship and had got the very last out of every teammate on the pitch. He was a natural successor to Bryan Robson and his presence on the field hast been replaced IMO.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Coentrao was a signing United had to go for once the opportunity arrived, as Bomble says he can play a few positions so could well have complimented Evra rather than replace him this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

I'd have major doubts about Coentrao's attitude and his stamina. He's a smoker. Mourinho didn't fancy him for the majority of his time there and Ancelotti's been the same so far. Saying all that I'd still take him over Baines as his potential is higher, he's better on the ball and he's faster. If he sorted his attitude he'd be tremendous for us. But there's no question that he'd be a risk and there'd be work to do with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Stolen from Twitter

BZn7kviIIAADwm1.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Didnt RVP score a shoulder goal last year away in the CL as well as the Arsenal goal last time out?

Unlike Joe Hart,Head And Shoulders didn't do RVP any harm:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

(Based on absolutely nothing it seems!) But, out of interest, who would be in favour of Pogba coming back to United if it meant Nani going the other way?

I'm in! :pac:
    Manchester-United-want-Pa-007.jpg
    Manchester United would love to see Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba playing in their colours. Oh.
    Photograph: John Peters/Man Utd via Getty Images

Having finally decided the time is right to give their former employee Paul Pogba a run in their first team, Manchester United have hit a giant Juventus-sized stumbling block. The Italian club, who so upset Sir Alex Ferguson by luring the French midfielder from Manchester to Turin, has no intention of letting the 20-year-old go anywhere, despite interest from United, Arsenal and Manchester City. In Manchester United's favour, the Serie A champions are reported to be in the market for a Portuguese winger who bears a passing resemblance to Thriller-era Michael Jackson, so some manner of agreement may be reached.

Guardian Football Transfer Rumours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Young instead of Nani.

I will pay for the flight even;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Young instead of Nani.

id f*cking carry Young on my back all the way to Turin if it meant we could get rid of him and sign a midfielder instead!

Young instead of Nani.

id f*cking carry Young on my back all the way to Turin if it meant we could get rid of him and sign a midfielder instead!

It's a no deal for both of ye if it was Nani?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

In Manchester United's favour, the Serie A champions are reported to be in the market for a Portuguese winger who bears a passing resemblance to Thriller-era Michael Jackson

Is Karl Pilkington writting for the guardian now? Use Nani instead of "Portuguese winger who bears a passing resemblance to Thriller-era Michael Jackson".

Is Karl Pilkington writting for the guardian now? Use Nani instead of "Portuguese winger who bears a passing resemblance to Thriller-era Michael Jackson".

Transfer rumour column, just for fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's a no deal for both of ye if it was Nani?

Dont want Nani gone.

He is our best winger on his day imo.

Trading the best winger at the club?
    Nah

Trading the best winger at the club?
    Nah

As Johnny Giles loves to say, you're only as good as your last game! :pac:

Based on the season so far, Danny and Adnan have performed best out wide.

It's often said that Nani "needs games" for it to be "his day", but he has had more starts than Adnan, the same as Danny, plus his games for Portugal, I'd be all for him going to Juve if that's what it took to get Pogba.

As I've said before, he's created more chances than every other wide player at the club and is still being called terrible.

Playing badly and still doing his better job than every other player in his position? I can't wait until he hits form if that's the case.

As I've said before, he's created more chances than every other wide player at the club and is still being called terrible.

Playing badly and still doing his better job than every other player in his position? I can't wait until he hits form if that's the case.

He did create one chance in the Stoke game, and Rooney knocked it on to RVP who scored. In sixty minutes it was the only positive contribution that he made, and considering that the defenders put zero pressure on him and gave him about 6 feet of room to cross with, if he couldn't have created that chance, then I'd expect him to hand back his wages for that week! :pac:

Out of interest, do your stats give him more than one chance created in the Stoke game?

• Advertisement

He did create one chance in the Stoke game, and Rooney knocked it on to RVP who scored. In sixty minutes it was the only positive contribution that he made, and considering that the defenders put zero pressure on him and gave him about 6 feet of room to cross with, if he couldn't have created that chance, then I'd expect him to hand back his wages for that week! :pac:

Out of interest, do your stats give him more than one chance created in the Stoke game?

I had him down for two in the Stoke game.

Considering two of his starts were against teams that dominated us, Liverpool and West Brom (he was probably our best player against West Brom actually), where nearly all the players did fcuk all. I wouldn't be knocking him on the games he's played.

He's played less than them all, other than Young and Shinji "not a winger" Kagawa, and has still created more chances than all of them and even some of them combined!

A wingers job is to make chances and that's what Nani has done in the little he's played more frequently than the others, and still people will say he's been terrible.

A run of games and he'll be back on form, still creating more than the others maybe even creating twice as much going by the trend now ;)

I had him down for two in the Stoke game.

Considering two of his starts were against teams that dominated us, Liverpool and West Brom (he was probably our best player against West Brom actually), where nearly all the players did fcuk all. I wouldn't be knocking him on the games he's played.

He's played less than them all, other than Young and Shinji "not a winger" Kagawa, and has still created more chances than all of them and even some of them combined!

A wingers job is to make chances and that's what Nani has done in the little he's played more frequently than the others, and still people will say he's been terrible.

A run of games and he'll be back on form, still creating more than the others maybe even doubling it going by the trend now ;)

Two in the Stoke games means we have a different opinion on what a chance is.

I don't think Moyes will give him a run of games without the form coming from the first game. It seems that he already favours Valencia, and maybe even Kagawa. Plus there is Adnan who has been excellent every minute he's got.

Moyes seems ruthless enough; he left Fellaini out for ages after bad performances.

Manchester United and Doncaster Rovers have agreed a loan deal for Italian striker Federico Macheda until 31 December.

ManUtd.com

Van Der Sar
    Edwin van der Sar was always prepared for interviewers’ stock question about his best save: “I haven’t made it yet,” he would invariably reply.
    “I suppose it was the one from Fernando Torres’ header; that was an important one,” he admitted at the end of the 2010/11 season.

Schmeichel
    “Whenever I’m asked, I always pick out the save from Zamorano’s header at Old Trafford,” says Peter Schmeichel, Manchester's Great Dane.

While Big Pete probably made more spectacular saves than this ‘starfish’ spread against Inter Milan, he insists the setting and importance of the game marks it out as his greatest hit.

Stepney
    "It doesn't come any better than the save I made at the end of the European Cup final to deny Eusebio at Wembley," he says. "Benfica had equalised with about 10 minutes left and I knew there was not long left - there was no clock in the ground and we had to rely on the bench to tell us the time. In those days the turf at Wembley slowed the ball and in a split second I knew he wasn't going to chip me. I took a couple of steps back, which allowed me to stand up and have the chance to react when he shot. What amazed most people was the fact I managed to hold on to the ball. Eusebio was a great lad and he came up to me and applauded the save. Had he scored, there would have been no way back for us."

ManUtd.com

Two in the Stoke games means we have a different opinion on what a chance is.

I don't think Moyes will give him a run of games without the form coming from the first game. It seems that he already favours Valencia, and maybe even Kagawa. Plus there is Adnan who has been excellent every minute he's got.

Moyes seems ruthless enough; he left Fellaini out for ages after bad performances.

Adnan hasn't been excellent every minute he's got. He was frustrating as well at times but anything is a breath of fresh air when compared to Valencia and Adnan gives that by running at the opposition.

If you applied the same fine toothed comb you do with Nani to Adnan's performances you'd see that there's not a huge difference and yet Adnan has been "superb" and Nani has been "terrible" taking general consensus. And Nani has created more chances as shown by the stats, and Nani has played in a lot tougher games while Adnan has played against Palace Fulham etc.

Nani has shown before that when he's given a run and the manager puts some faith in him he'll find great form that wouldn't leave him far off the best wingers. His crossing is frustrating sometimes but I'd take that any day of the week over the garbage Valencia has been serving the last 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Always loved Eusebio's reaction to that, it was almost as if he wasn't going to move until Stepney acknowledged the applause.

am i the only one that is extremely nervous/worried about the next 9 days of fixtures? potentially 3 very tricky games, games that by no means are we guaranteed to win any of them unless we play really really well.

at least if we do drop points, the arsenal result and the fact that alot of the top teams play each other in the coming weeks, gives us a bit of a buffer. id be happy with a win Sunday, and two draws in the other 2 games...very happy in fact, though of course it would be nice to seal qualification to the last 16 on wednesday and that would take the pressure off at home to Donetsk.

zerks wrote: »

is that another new missus for Cleverly? he seems to have the best taste in woman anyway, any bird he has is normally top notch.

looks like Fellaini has been given the task of tapping up Adnan for Belgium also!

• Advertisement

Transfer shenanigans from left field: Kagawa to Chelsea & Mata to United???

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/football-transfer-window/36157-mourinho-plans-swap-deal-for-man-utd-s-kagawa.php#.Uo8ruCckUdU

BTW: Lindegaard's missus is tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

am i the only one that is extremely nervous/worried about the next 9 days of fixtures? potentially 3 very tricky games, games that by no means are we guaranteed to win any of them unless we play really really well.

at least if we do drop points, the arsenal result and the fact that alot of the top teams play each other in the coming weeks, gives us a bit of a buffer. id be happy with a win Sunday, and two draws in the other 2 games...very happy in fact, though of course it would be nice to seal qualification to the last 16 on wednesday and that would take the pressure off at home to Donetsk.

I really think it's really important to get a win this Sunday too keep the pressure on. Especially because i just can't see us getting a win away to Spurs the following game. Their midfield will overrun ours like it has in our last few encounters. I was thinking going very strong the weekend and maybe resting players midweek but we can't do that. Germany is a hard place to go and a win is probably needed as i expect Shaktar to beat Sociedad at home. A draw wouldn't be disastrous but it wouldn't be ideal having the group go down to the last game at home against a tricky Shaktar. I know it's only late November but this is a massive week for the club and Moye's biggest test yet. I really feel he is going to rest some players the weekend which is probably the best place to do it from those 3 games. But Cardiff are strong at home i don't know if a weakened team can win their. God didn't realise how tricky the next week is makes the Arsenal result even more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Transfer shenanigans from left field: Kagawa to Chelsea & Mata to United???

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/football-transfer-window/36157-mourinho-plans-swap-deal-for-man-utd-s-kagawa.php#.Uo8ruCckUdU

Is Mata still being roatated besides being their best player? Getting Mata in would be only possible imo if Rooney goes the other way and Rooney would score for fun with the service from their midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Anderson looks skinny :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

RVP trolling

TugT4IY.gif

Anderson looks skinny :eek:

Spanx;)

• Advertisement

she is sensational and comes to a few games also...she sits really close to us and stands out in the crowd completely when she is there.

probably the best WAG at the club at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

BREAKING NEWS: Michael Carrick has extended his #mufc contract to June 2015, with an option to sign for a further year. @carras16

From the United Twitter page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Can't wait to see Mata on the left wing. Whats his defending like? Hope he can defend like Valencia does.

Mars Bar wrote: »

brilliant news, would expect 4 or 5 more of these announcements in the next few months, we have alot of players approaching the end of their contracts.

Nani sorted, carrick sorted, Vidic in talks. and i expect a new deal for Rooney also, despite the fact that alot of you want him out or thing he wants out.

Evra, Giggs and Rio, as well as Fletcher could all be gone however, i think they are out of contract next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Mars Bar wrote: »

So we are not offering just 1 year deals to the players over 30 anymore?

Anyways good news but hopefully we won't be this much dependent on him at the end of his contract.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    So we are not offering just 1 year deals to the players over 30 anymore?

Anyways good news but hopefully we won't be this much dependent on him at the end of his contract.

Not that you're suggesting otherwise but the way Carrick plays means he could play well into his mid and possibly late thirties. He doesn't rely on pace or stamina for his game and it bodes well for the future. I'd happily give him a 3 year contract.

I'd hope the same applies to RVP stamina and pace wise, he's reliant on neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Sacramento wrote: »
    Not that you're suggesting otherwise but the way Carrick plays means he could play well into his mid and possibly late thirties. He doesn't rely on pace or stamina for his game and it bodes well for the future. I'd happily give him a 3 year contract.

I'd hope the same applies to RVP stamina and pace wise, he's reliant on neither.

Yeah, I'm just saying hopefully we don't be so much dependent on him in 2015 too by which I meant signing better CM players.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm just saying hopefully we don't be so much dependent on him in 2015 too by which I meant signing better CM players.

Yeah agreed, if we haven't significantly strengthened midfield by then we'll be in serious trouble. Wouldn't worry about something like that happening though!

<_<

>_>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

. and i expect a new deal for Rooney also, despite the fact that alot of you want him out or thing he wants out.

Am I right in saying you think he doesn't want to go? Then don't you think the tactics he has used to get this new improved contract have been pretty unsavourey and disrespectful to the club?

Maybe he doesn't want to go now because of the new manager in which case, David Moyes deserves massive credit, credit which I don't think he will get.

If we could get him signed up to a new deal, it would give us more flexibility in how we use him because at the moment he is being placated by being solely used up front but there are times when it will be beneficial to the team for him to be used elsewhere despite his best position being as striker/second striker.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

One month to get Janz signed. If he's not on a contract by the end of December is expect him to be leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

lordgoat wrote: »
    One month to get Janz signed. If he's not on a contract by the end of December is expect him to be leaving.

signed a month ago cant remember terms

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Someone was on holidays recently :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

ericzeking wrote: »
    Am I right in saying you think he doesn't want to go?

Please don't get the argument started again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Someone was on holidays recently :-P

I was thinking ah here I could have sworn I seen Moyesie grinning over Adnan as he signed the contract.:pac:

ericzeking wrote: »
    Am I right in saying you think he doesn't want to go?

yes, i think i posted back here around late April, that Rooney did not want to leave the club and nothing has changed my mind since. ive posted this before, but to be clear, here is my taking on the entire saga, from what ive been told/read.
    • Rooney loss of form and is dropped - blames it on partly on playing out of position.
    • says to Fergie if he doesnt get back in the team or back in his best position, he may have to leave.
    • Fergie blows it out of proportion and goes to the media saying he asked to leave.
    • Rooney now not happy, Rooney feels be is being forced out by Ferguson and their relationship is completely strained.
    • Fergie retires, but still has big influence at the club - causes more issues.
    • This big signing that we were supposedly signing (well reported and confirmed by Phelan) may have needed the sale of Rooney to finance it (wages particularly and of course transfer fee) and could perhaps have added to the strain on Rooney.
    • other clubs such as Chelsea get wind of this but Rooney never expresses an interest in leaving - he puts his head down, trains hard and gets on it.
    • Rooney would only have left the club, if the club had forced the sale on d him and once Moyes came on board, this was never happening (simple common sense).
    • Rooney happy, but now wants a new contract - up to the club to show how much they want him...over to them now.

remember, that his agent is an absolute prat...that doesnt help but i think the main issue here was caused by Ferguson.

the end outcome here should be that Rooney will sign a new contract, unless something dramatically changes but i cant see that happening.

now, you can believe my chain of events or not, but as far as i am concerned its as close to the truth as you are going to get anywhere!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement