Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

irishfeen wrote: »
    But we actually did enough to beat Spurs, Newcastle and Everton but just didn't have the guile up front.

Missed the Everton game, but we were awful against Newcastle never looked like scoring and devoid of ideas.

Spurs, we had lots of possession and no bite, lloris didnt make a save in the first half and apart from the last 20 minutes we didnt look like scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,387 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

As I said yesterday mate - you might be dead right but I refuse not to give Moyes/Woodward a chance to redeem themselves in signings and performances.

Indeed - THIS is their chance. If they pass up the chance I don't see why I should give them a third one, not that my displeasure at the (would be) bumbling performances is of any real relevance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Lithium93_ wrote: »

He meant it as a comment to get across how much he loves Roma and their fans, rather then a sleight on United, but I'm sure certain sections of the media will enjoy it alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

It is the spin idiots with agendas are putting on it.

Maybe, just maybe, if we had midfielders that could control the tempo of the game and showed for the ball, we wouldn't hoof the ball over them.

I am as big a critic of Moyes and his tactics as anyone, but I don't think an out of sorts Carrick partnered with Cleverley or Jones was his first choice, or capable of playing to the standard required, so the midfield isn't capable of doing what Moyes really wants them too. No way would he have played Fabregas in the same way he plays Cleverley. Things need to change tactically, but we need new players actually capable of implementing new tactics.

Moyes has only known how to play football one way tbh though and i dont see him signing a creative midfielder nor do i see a creative midfielder restricting himself to play this sort of football. We're one of the ugliest sides in the league, with a style of play not dissimilar to Tony Pulis's stoke. Only difference is we don't tackle and teams stroll through huge gaps in the middle of the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

spiralism wrote: »
    This is the sort of **** liverpool fans came out with when they were finishing in 7th. We're not that team anymore, definitely not since fergie left, this rather depressing quote sums us up:

Daniele De Rossi yesterday: "It was a good thing that I didn't go to Manchester United, now I would have committed suicide."

Top players would rather kill themselves than play for the David Moyes midtable experience, sums it up.

This post is dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

homerjay2005 - are you statistician? :pac:

not, just interested in seeing some basic stats and where our game is falling back compared to last year. summary -

intensity in our tackling is down, our goals from set pieces are down, our dependency on crossing is getting higher or more to the point, our aimless crossing is on the up, our creativity through the middle is down and our long balls are up. the vast majority of our players are off form also.

add in our woeful home form and the complete lack of spark when we are playing the top teams and its all adding up to a problem on the sideline IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Indeed - THIS is their chance. If they pass up the chance I don't see why I should give them a third one, not that my displeasure at the (would be) bumbling performances is of any real relevance.
    The thing is no one actually knows - You seem to have written them off already from doing anything while I think mistakes will be learned from and that the last transfer window will have personally hurt Woodward and hope they deliver something worth while over the next two transfer markets ... one of us will be proved right and for the sake of the club I hope you are wrong mate but I do admit having an uneasy feeling deepdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How many games did we go behind in last season? No chance we are going to get away with it again, especially without RVP.

The thing is no one actually knows - You seem to have written them off already from doing anything while I think mistakes will be learned from and that the last transfer window will have personally hurt Woodward and hope they deliver something worth while over the next two transfer markets ... one of us will be proved right and for the sake of the club I hope you are wrong mate but I do admit having an uneasy feeling deepdown.

I'm not yet writing off this window - I very much hope we can do some business. My discussion here is based on the thought of them not doing anything, out of choice, and people thinking that is in anyway the correct course of action or acceptable in our current circumstances.

As I said, the summer was a massive feck up but they do deserve a chance to show they have learned from mistakes and will take corrective actions - this month is that chance. If they do not take it I have no faith that they have any real idea what they are doing or what is required.

• Advertisement

not, just interested in seeing some basic stats and where our game is falling back compared to last year. summary -

intensity in our tackling is down, our goals from set pieces are down, our dependency on crossing is getting higher or more to the point, our aimless crossing is on the up, our creativity through the middle is down and our long balls are up. the vast majority of our players are off form also.

add in our woeful home form and the complete lack of spark when we are playing the top teams and its all adding up to a problem on the sideline IMO.
    Or dare I say exposing SAF as the greatest manager of all time? .. time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Looking at things as they are, I can't see us making a big purchase in this window. I think we'll get a LB and that will be it. I hope to be corrected but I can't see anything major happening.

I'm not yet writing off this window - I very much hope we can do some business. My discussion here is based on the thought of them not doing anything, out of choice, and people thinking that is in anyway the correct course of action or acceptable in our current circumstances.

As I said, the summer was a massive feck up but they do deserve a chance to show they have learned from mistakes and will take corrective actions - this month is that chance. If they do not take it I have no faith that they have any real idea what they are doing or what is required.
    Your right Woodward/the clubs hierarchy embarrassed the club on the world stage last summer, the problem it though - are the players we want/need available between now and Feb? ... we always have been long term looking club, do we really want a waste of money in an attempt to paper over the cracks or wait for the right man who will only be available in a few months time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

How does anyone involved with MUTV think that having Paddy Crerand commentate on games is a good thing.

There's a programme on there at the minute showing a lot of our goals from 2013, and some of his 'contributions' are embarrassing.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    How does anyone involved with MUTV think that having Paddy Crerand commentate on games is a good thing.

There's a programme on there at the minute showing a lot of our goals from 2013, and some of his 'contributions' are embarrassing.
    Wonder will Moyes have anything to say at 2 about possible transfers?

Wonder will Moyes have anything to say at 2 about possible transfers?

I'm in front of the tv, with the laptop on...
    Will post... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Young confirmed out injured after clash with Lloris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm in front of the tv, with the laptop on...
    Will post... :)

Any links for watching the press conf?

Your right Woodward/the clubs hierarchy embarrassed the club on the world stage last summer, the problem it though - are the players we want/need available between now and Feb? ... we always have been long term looking club, do we really want a waste of money in an attempt to paper over the cracks or wait for the right man who will only be available in a few months time?

As i said previously - Fernando, Sandro, Matic are possibly all available this month - Benfica have said without CL football they will have to listen to any offers that come in.

madrid seem all to happy to let Coentrao and Di Maria leave, both would improve us.

Yes, we may not get Fabregas, for example, now - but we didn't get him last summer and probably won't next summer.

The squad needs a major overhaul - and it should start right now with the best players we can get right now.

Are United really interested in Vidal and Mata as has been speculated this week? If they are then BID for them, like right now. Don't hang about, just bid - see what happens. We certainly won't sign them if we don't move for them. If our top bids are rejected then move on to the next player on the list. The world is full of footballers - and PSG/Bayern/Chelsea/City/Madrid/Barca can't buy all the players that don't already play for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Is MUTV free today lads? The Manager's Press Conference is on the telly now

Is MUTV free today lads? The Manager's Press Conference is on the telly now

free to Jan 5th I think, has been for a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Damn wish I'd heard that sooner. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Christ the last twenty pages or so have been the weirdest mix of rubbish and common sense.

The Moyes out calls and people preferring Martinez. Its cringe worthy stuff. Both have been six months in the job. Its fickle enough to want Moyes out after that period but now to hail Martinez as a preferred option.

Now we have people claiming Woodward should be sacked if nobody arrives this window. Nevermind if the manager actually wants a player, if that player is available or if he wants to move in a Jan window ahead of a world cup. Its been noted that the Jan window it very difficult to do business in but the knives are being sharpened already. Our last chief Exec was there for 10 years and people want the new guy out in six months.

Thank god for posters like The Doc being able to see there is more wrong at the club than the new manager and these issues have been creeping up on us for a while.

No Young or Nani for Sunday, wouldn't play Valencia as a result. RVP and Rooney probably either injured or not played because of injuries. Carrick only coming back, no fellaini, probably no Jones or Rafael either. Have the Carling Cup semi on Tuesday evening too. Nightmare injury list and fixture scheduling.

Who the feck is going to line up on Sunday?

De Gea
    Fabio-Evans-Rio-Buttner
    Zaha-Cleverley-Fletcher-Adnan
    Kagawa
    Chico

Could see Lingard, Will Keane on the bench.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Van Persie missing 9 games and Carrick missing 7 games has to be be a factor in the points total so far?

Most of the games where points were lost were down to a single goal so I still think it won't take a massive change for improvements.

We know the way the team is playing is down to midfield options and an improvement there, factoring in targets the club had, suggest a change when the players are brought in.

In this window its important that, at the very least, recruitment is made to patch up or just provide new options in the short term.

From the press conference.
    • We trust the referees to make the right decisions, but I haven't changed my stance on the Tottenham game.
    • We will definitely be rotating players. Not right to be asking players to play Sunday and Tuesday.
    • Tottenham was a 'little' setback. We played well enough to at least get something from the game if not win it. The lads played fine. We done a lot of good things in the game, we had a couple of mistakes that we could have done better with. Overall, we've been on a run of 6 games, and are unlucky to not have reached 7.
    • Young out for a 'time' with a shoulder injury after Lloris challenge. RVP is 'coming on', we'll let you know when he's ready. We've got some other injuries as well, and will keep an eye on them over the coming days.
    • January is not easy to purchase in. We have a good squad, a big squad. It's stretched a bit at the minute.
    • FA Cup - to not win it in ten years is a bit of a surprise. We try to win all the competitions we enter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Van Persie missing 9 games and Carrick missing 7 games has to be be a factor in the points total so far?

Yes, and Moyes has to be a factor in so many players missing so many games, right?

De Gea
    Fabio-Evans-Rio-Buttner
    Kagawa
    Chico

I like that team, at least there's a semblance of balance, would be nice to see Ando as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

That on Sky or UPC lads?? Dont rember seeing it on UPC over christmas

brinty wrote: »
    That on Sky or UPC lads?? Dont rember seeing it on UPC over christmas

Sky with me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Yes, and Moyes has to be a factor in so many players missing so many games, right?

I don't know, its easy to see how many games they missed but its speculation at best to say what caused the injuries, right?

They had injuries before Moyes arrived for example.

• Advertisement

Sky with me.

agh FCUK it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

here is some more stats that will make you sick.

We have played 200 more long balls so far this season compared to Liverpool, City and Arsenal. we have 64 long balls per game and this is the same as Palace and only 3 per game behind the likes of Norwich and West Ham.

Last season we were ranked 17th in terms of long balls, we are joint 9th with palace this year.

we were 6th in terms of attacks through the middle, we are joint in last place this season.

its the same players ffs.

Very worrying. Makes me wonder would signing top class centre midfielders change our style or does Moyes want wing play only

beno619 wrote: »
    I like that team, at least there's a semblance of balance, would be nice to see Ando as well.

Smalling will be in there...need height v Swansea..or something along those line......yawn....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No Young or Nani for Sunday, wouldn't play Valencia as a result. RVP and Rooney probably either injured or not played because of injuries. Carrick only coming back, no fellaini, probably no Jones or Rafael either. Have the Carling Cup semi on Tuesday evening too. Nightmare injury list and fixture scheduling.

De Gea
    Fabio-Evans-Rio-Buttner
    Kagawa
    Chico

Bloody hell.

Swansea at 7/1, just sayin'.
    • We trust the referees to make the right decisions, but I haven't changed my stance on the Tottenham game.
    • We will definitely be rotating players. Not right to be asking players to play Sunday and Tuesday.
    • Tottenham was a 'little' setback. We played well enough to at least get something from the game if not win it. The lads played fine. We done a lot of good things in the game, we had a couple of mistakes that we could have done better with. Overall, we've been on a run of 6 games, and are unlucky to not have reached 7.
    • Young out for a 'time' with a shoulder injury after Lloris challenge. RVP is 'coming on', we'll let you know when he's ready. We've got some other injuries as well, and will keep an eye on them over the coming days.

• January is not easy to purchase in. We have a good squad, a big squad. It's stretched a bit at the minute.
    • FA Cup - to not win it in ten years is a bit of a surprise. We try to win all the competitions we enter.

Oh no...

So we're a bloody cup team now....

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I don't know, its easy to see how many games they missed but its speculation at best to say what caused the injuries, right?

They had injuries before Moyes arrived for example.

He has not handled RVP and Rooney well, depending on if you believe playing half fit players is good or not regardless of who the players are.

beno619 wrote: »

Had forgetten about the more important Carling Cup game on Tuesday. Not sure what we will do for the two games.

As far as I can work out - this is the list of fit players:

De Gea
    Evra
    Ferdinand
    Evans
    Anderson
    Giggs
    Smalling
    Lindegaard
    Chico
    Vidic
    Carrick
    Welbeck
    Fabio
    Cleverley
    Fletcher
    Valencia
    Kagawa
    Macheda
    Buttner
    Zaha
    Cole
    Lingard
    Amos
    Januzaj

Vs Swansea on Sunday.
    De Gea
    Fabio--Ferdinand--Smalling--Buttner
    Zaha--Fletcher--Anderson--Giggs
    Chico--Welbeck

Vs Sunderland on Tuesday:

De Gea
    Smalling-Vidic-Evans-Evra
    Valencia-Cleverley-Carrick-Januzaj
    Kagawa
    Welbeck

Firstly, it is asking welbeck to play two games quickly, secondly I reckon Swansea will smash that team, but priority has to be given to the Sunderland game.

Don't know how you come up with that conclusion there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I heard he gets togged out himself and goes around breaking lads up with two footed tackles in training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

No signings coming in so.

No signings coming in so.

have heard United are hoping to do some deals - and the public utterances to the contrary are so that we manage expectations and hopefully exceed them. Fingers crossed that is the case.

If the squad is good enough, which Moyes said in September it was not, then why are we in 7th, Mr. Moyes. Either yourself or the squad are not good enough, which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

J. Marston wrote: »
    Bloody hell.

Swansea at 7/1, just sayin'.

Oh no...

What exactly do you expect him to say?

.... "Our central midfield is atrocious and our left back is day dreaming during the games and I'm going to break the bank to replace both"??

He needs to say he has a strong squad because he doesn't want to alienate the players he needs on Sunday and Tuesday and going forward and he isn't going to want to come across as desperate given that we are likely to be negotiating for players in the coming days and weeks.

Simple run of the mill press conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Thank god for posters like The Doc being able to see there is more wrong at the club than the new manager and these issues have been creeping up on us for a while.

such as our clown of a CE who has played a huge park in f*cking up our entire season and threatens our immediate future by not addressing these issues you speak of?

good, finally you admit it. now lets move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

So much love for this post.

• Advertisement

tbh lads, looking at that press conference, I would read absolutely nothing into anything that Moyes said.
    Seemed to me to be stock answers to everything, answering all questions without really saying anything.

I wouldn't be focusing on any particular thing he said at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

such as our clown of a CE who has played a huge park in f*cking up our entire season and threatens our immediate future by not addressing these issues you speak of?

I was refferring to his posts about the squad and the injuries but don't let that stop you strawmanning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I heard he gets togged out himself and goes around breaking lads up with two footed tackles in training.

No need for him to be so obvious; he can just literally run them into the ground. Same effect, at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lol - keep going til we agree with you then we can all move on.

Whats the next topic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

i find it hard to believe people take every word as golden in press conference

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement