Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm sure your not the only one sick of it but this had the opportunity to be put to bed if Homer actually answered some of the questions put to him, instead he chose insult and to edit others posts in his replies to suit himself.

One poster said he had anger issues and will label anyone a clown that goes against his opinion. This is very true, yesterday I was called a "childish fanboy" for saying we could attract top players, painting my opinion out to be delusional. Today he wants Woodward out if we don't get two top players in? See the contradiction. He often labels me pro Woodward & Moyes when my posts regarding the opposite are there for all to see. I'd ask you what would you do if another poster continually tried to paint this false picture of you? He has offered nothing but insults today,

Besides labelling fans muppetts before, now today according to him there is a section of fans that see nothing wrong with the club at all. This is completly false. He has been asked to name one and surprise surprise he hasn't. You may be happy for one poster to act in such a manner and paint a picture based on lies of those who disagree with him and to label entire sections "muppets" and others as so blinkered that can see no wrong with UTD, but many of us are not ok with this.

I'd ask for a higher standard and thankfully some have engaged him today and called him on this when its only him snipping me. I'm surprised the mods haven't called him of any of this and how he is continually allowed to do this. Its a disgrace tbh.

The thread contains a lot more good debate, posters and common sense than the sour picture homer paints when he is not agreed with.

And this is not adding to the thread at all. If you wanna argue posting style, take it to PM.

Tallaghtmick: Stop with the backseat modding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

There has been an increase in possession but it's basically nothing possession.

In our own half and about 20/30 yards in our opponents half on each wing is where we have most of this extra possession.

Yes, but it could go someway to explaining a drop in the number of tackles/interceptions in a game. More of the ball = less tackles/interceptions.

Not debating the wasted possession we have, I do like the better retention now though, putting the next phase of actually doing something with it into action would be welcome now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Given the last few pages i hope this doesn't come across as horribly rude -

Nothing rude about it :)

And I agree to a point, RVP has struggled all season and I thought at times he just shouldn't be playing but im not the manager.

Moyes makes the calls and If we were getting results I probably wouldnt be complaining, but key players are braking down while were not getting results.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2533301/Wayne-Rooney-leaves-hospital-groin-scan.html
    When asked if the England man would benefit from a more expended period to recover, Moyes admitted he is reluctant to do without United's most influential forward: 'If I could, I would. The games are coming thick and fast. He has missed a couple of games with his groin and may well miss some more in the games coming up.'
    Robin van Persie is inching closer to a return to full fitness but Sunday's FA Cup tie at home to Swansea may come too soon for the Dutchman.
    'I am not sure yet,' Moyes said.

At least it seems like he's going to let RVP heal up properly this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yellows handed out to YA and Homer for not heeding my warning earlier. Any more of this back and forth between that is not about United will see ye banned from the thread for a period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Powell to make the squad on Sunday?
    Homer claims I'm this and that in the open forum with out regard for the truth or taking it to PM, I defend myself in the forum as I would expect anyone to do the same rather than leave lies in out in the public.

Just ignore him mate like I do, simples

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Trilla wrote: »
    Powell to make the squad on Sunday?

Just ignore him mate like I do, simples

What did Powell do to you.... :D

Is he not staying at Wigan?

Havent heard anything to the contrary as of yet anyway

Did I not read somewhere that 90% of the loanies are back?

Was it a uncles cousins granny? Cmon you need proof ;) Im sure they where due back Jan 1st but few where extended, personally im torn on Powell staying at Wigan or going on loan to Hull etc.

• Advertisement

On a side note, have been looking in to stats

Our avg length of pass this season is the same as last season 19m

Seemed strange to me

The passing has been fairly similar in fact, the big increase has been crosses, which we all see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

kryogen wrote: »
    Yes, but it could go someway to explaining a drop in the number of tackles/interceptions in a game. More of the ball = less tackles/interceptions.

Not debating the wasted possession we have, I do like the better retention now though, putting the next phase of actually doing something with it into action would be welcome now.

Yeah exactly those stats will be related in some cases, more of one will mean less of another and vice versa.

Hopefully it's Moyes' plan long term, even a glance at the stats so far from this season could tell you generally where we are going wrong. I'd just love if Moyes gave us something to be hopeful about, experimenting in the cup games even I'd be happy with, just something to show he's not happy with the way we are playing now like we are.

Was it a uncles cousins granny? Cmon you need proof ;) Im sure they where due back Jan 1st but few where extended, personally im torn on Powell staying at Wigan or going on loan to Hull etc.

Thought I saw a link on here, with only one of the Keanes remaining on loan

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Powell is still on loan, might be back at end of month though depending on what happens in the window.

"We need to make a decision [on them] but maybe the end of January is soon enough," Moyes explained to MUTV. "We don't need to make a decis"We need to make a decision [on them] but maybe the end of January is soon enough," Moyes explained to MUTV. "We don't need to make a decision just now. A lot will depend on if anything changes here - then we can look at them. But we're watching them to see how they're doing.

"Jesse Lingard has returned just now from Birmingham City. Will Keane has returned from Wigan. We'll keep an eye on one or two of the others and we'll see what we think we need to do as the month progressesion just now. A lot will depend on if anything changes here - then we can look at them. But we're watching them to see how they're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

On a side note, have been looking in to stats

Our avg length of pass this season is the same as last season 19m

Seemed strange to me

The passing has been fairly similar in fact, the big increase has been crosses, which we all see.

how the f8ck can they measure this!!!????

Thought I saw a link on here, with only one of the Keanes remaining on loan

I missed a few pages yesterday so you may be right, im on mobile so thats effort trying to look back lol.

Edit:post after yours.

• Advertisement

Powell is still on loan, might be back at end of month though depending on what happens in the window.

"We need to make a decision [on them] but maybe the end of January is soon enough," Moyes explained to MUTV. "We don't need to make a decis"We need to make a decision [on them] but maybe the end of January is soon enough," Moyes explained to MUTV. "We don't need to make a decision just now. A lot will depend on if anything changes here - then we can look at them. But we're watching them to see how they're doing.

"Jesse Lingard has returned just now from Birmingham City. Will Keane has returned from Wigan. We'll keep an eye on one or two of the others and we'll see what we think we need to do as the month progressesion just now. A lot will depend on if anything changes here - then we can look at them. But we're watching them to see how they're doing.

Id like Lingard to get a chance, though I think a few on here don't rate him.

Dunno, probably same way they measure the long passing stats you posted about earlier :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Probably those newfangled computer thingamabobs.

"Jesse Lingard has returned just now from Birmingham City. Will Keane has returned from Wigan.

Would love to see him this weekend, better than watching the same players fail week in week out.

Add the total length of all our passes and divide by the total number of passes :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Dunno, probably same way they measure the long passing stats you posted about earlier :-P

would have thought it was just some random lad at a game pressing buttons every few seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Had a exam today and was hoping(actually praying) for some signing or even hint of one.

Disappointed.

Then I realised I support Man United.

*will just keep pressing F5 till 1st of February:)

Same way they measure everything I guess, with a computer.

Id like Lingard to get a chance, though I think a few on here don't rate him.

I am a fan of Jesse, I just dont really know where to shoe horn him in, maybe now with Youngs injury he can play from a wide position though its not ideal. I dont think he has a long term future at the club, but he could surprise me I suppose

Well we had the boardsie who monitors Clevs passes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Had a exam today and was hoping(actually praying) for some signing or even hint of one.

Disappointed.

Then I realised I support Man United.

*will just keep pressing F5 till 1st of February:)

i fell out of bed(badly hungover) 1st jan to turn on ssn only to see nothing.jumped on here nothing.
    i really thought deals would have been in place and announced early but nope not a tap :(

I am a fan of Jesse, I just dont really know where to shoe horn him in, maybe now with Youngs injury he can play from a wide position though its not ideal. I dont think he has a long term future at the club, but he could surprise me I suppose

Hoping the latter and not a Kieron Richardson type player.

would have thought it was just some random lad at a game pressing buttons every few seconds.

I would think the details are captured by the likes of prozone rather than a lad in the crowd these days.

Not sure how it works in full, perhaps Prozone (for example) provide/sell brief overview details to websites and other sources. Sell the detailed stuff to the clubs?

Couple of years old now:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2063956/Premier-League-statistics-Is-Wayne-Rooney-better-Mark-Gower.html

I hope the computer aint as bored monitoring our passes as we are of watching them these days.

Well we had the boardsie who monitors Clevs passes :D

Hold up hold up

Now I'ma let you finish

But TC23 has one of the highest pass completion percentages of all time, ALL TIME!!

Hoping the latter and not a Kieron Richardson type player.

He was once the future of English football :P Thats why people suggest caution with Barkley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm convinced Tom Cleverley tries to increase his passing stats by passing really short passes back and forth to defenders. He always does it. Passes to them under no pressure then wants it straight back. Only to run to another player close by to repeat the process.

Sneaky bugger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Who thinks we are going to make top 4? I think no chance with the current squad. Current prediction is 6th.

If we dont buy in January its 7th or 8th for me.

Usual suspects plus Spurs, Everton and Pool to finish ahead of us.

If we buy 2 players and change our ways then 4th is 50/50 chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Mourinho said: “If people think they can get our good players on sale, sales finished in London yesterday.”
    There have been reports of interest from Paris St Germain, Napoli, Inter Milan and Manchester United, among others, in Mata, but Mourinho insisted no offers have been received and praised the World Cup-winner’s performance in training ahead of Sunday’s FA Cup third-round clash at Derby.
    “I keep saying that I want him to stay,” Mourinho said.
    “There isn’t offers. We have no offers. When I said ‘I don’t want him to leave’, he was focused on that and not focused on when I said ‘the door is always open’.
    “Today he trained in a fantastic way, so no problems.”

Would take big money or player plus cash to get Mata it seems.
    Mourinho said: “Nothing is true about Gonzalo. He’s a player that I know we cannot get.
    “He’s a player that moved from Real to Napoli six months ago, he’s doing very well, he’s adapting very well to Italy.
    “I don’t believe they’re interested in selling Higuain, so why should we be interested in somebody we feel is impossible to come?”
    Mourinho again was adamant Chelsea will not be particularly active during the winter transfer window and insisted a striker is not on his shopping list.
    “A striker, 100 per cent no,” he said.
    “The market is open, but for us, almost closed.”
    Mourinho believes his current squad, third in the Premier League and in the knockout stages of the Champions League, is capable of challenging for top honours this season and will be even better next term.
    He added: “This squad is good enough for my first season and for the objectives of the first season and to prepare the next season. We are happy with the squad we have.
    “We know what we need for the future. We are preparing the future but competing in the present.
    “We are going to fight every game, we are going to try to win every game in every competition.
    “We are favourites for nothing. We just want to be favourites for the next game, it’s our philosophy.”

IrishTimes

I wonder are Chelsea saving the cash for summer and if it has anything to do with their loss and financial fair play? They are doing well as they are so I think Mourinho probably really is happy with the squad that he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

GSPfan wrote: »
    I'm convinced Tom Cleverley tries to increase his passing stats by passing really short passes back and forth to defenders. He always does it. Passes to them under no pressure then wants it straight back. Only to run to another player close by to repeat the process.

Sneaky bugger.

Yeah that seems likely...or it could just be that as usual nobody in front of him is doing anything or just running away from him at full pelt and nobody bar the defenders are available to pass. Is it ok when Xavi does it just so I know?

Cleverly needs to express himself more. I think the lad has the game to make it at United, even for the squad.

One pass summed up Cleverly for me. It was against Nowich in 2nd half.

down right hand side, he has bit of space only few yards from Norwich box. He has 2 options, give a creative pass to Welbeck or pass it out the wing to Valencia. He passed it to Valencia. You could read it even before he passed it. Summed him up.

If we buy 2 players and change our ways then 4th is 50/50 chance.

This, players are vital. Even if it's "filler" players who will not be starters next year I don't really care, try for the big players and if they don't come go for good additions. Missing out on 4th is pretty catastrophic.

Once you're on that tangent it's not easy to fix, when was the last time Arsenal or Chelsea finished outside the top 6, maybe 20 years. But they went through rough periods as well, and aren't as big as United are supposed to be.

If it says the same I think we'll finish 7th/6th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Transfer rumour target Koke, playing in team second in Spain, level on points with Barca, through to the Champions League quarters as group winners, signed a new contract to 2018 in September.

"I am happy to give more years to Atletico," Koke said back in September. "I am at the team of my life and I cannot ask for more.

"I want to continue working to try bring new success and better achievements than last year. I am very happy."

Atletico sold Torres and Aguero filled his boots. Sold Aguero and bought Falcao. Sold Falcao and bought David Villa and Costa starts flying.

They do have a history of cashing in on their players, and AS have a rumour that they might be lining up Kroos. However, chances of Koke going to United in January are none and in summer slim!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I have very much changed my thoughts on getting reinforcements in Jan even if they are average because what we have right now is worse than average

Players have to come or we wont get 4th

• Advertisement

Who thinks we are going to make top 4? I think no chance with the current squad. Current prediction is 6th.

Fy4TT02.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Don't think we will get fourth. Club looks totally directionless at the moment.
    Performances have been consistently poor, unstructured and lacklustre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Coentrao should be an obvious choice if we are to believe the Summer stories. He'll be obtainable too as he does not seem to be happy at Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Would take big money or player plus cash to get Mata it seems.

IrishTimes

I wonder are Chelsea saving the cash for summer and if it has anything to do with their loss and financial fair play? They are doing well as they are so I think Mourinho probably really is happy with the squad that he has.

was talking to one of my friends at work, he is always on twitter checking transfer rumours, he told me that we were putting in a bid of 31 or 32 million pounds for him, then again this is just rumours, could be completely false

Fy4TT02.png

Have the odds drifted since ;)

Fy4TT02.png

You remain as confident two months on?

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Have the odds drifted since ;)

Been moving in since, havent checked the current ones but will now for you!

Was 1.9 the other day anyway

2.5 today, not surprising I suppose after a defeat :)

Been moving in since, havent checked the current ones but will now for you!

Was 1.9 the other day anyway

2.5 today, not surprising I suppose after a defeat :)

Trust me, they'll be more drifting to come :(

You remain as confident two months on?

I wouldnt say I am as confident, I am still very confident though. We have players missing so many games through injury, we have other teams around us who realistically are going to hit a dip in form at some stage this season, every team does.

If we make additions this window, and I expect us to, it will give a boost to morale and fresh blood is always good to have around the squad. It will provide more competition for places which is always good, hopefully it will allow us to play more through the middle as a viable option.

Getting in a midfielder or two, as well as Carrick gaining fitnes and form, Fellaini too, will give the defence more protection and provide better chances for the attackers.

The most important thing for me is getting RVP and Rooney properly fit and firing. A fit RVP would make a huge difference, all you have to do is look at last season for proof of that.

We may well have a good fight for 4th place this season but I am confident the squad will prevail. Moyes is still a good manager, that didnt change overnight, he is still the guy who has won 3 LMA manager of the year awards in the last 10 years or so and I think once the squad is healthier we will see the consistency that will give us a great shot at finishing in the top 4

Realistically, the league is a long shot, too long, too many teams would need to mess up too many times while we were practically perfect, this wont happen. But there is no reason to think the team is out of the running for a place in the top 4.

TL;DR

Not as confident but still very confident, would be shocked if we finished lower then 4th

Headshot wrote: »
    Trust me, they'll be more drifting to come :(

Possibly, if it becomes big enough Ill have another cut off it tbh

I wouldnt say I am as confident, I am still very confident though. We have players missing so many games through injury, we have other teams around us who realistically are going to hit a dip in form at some stage this season, every team does.

If we make additions this window, and I expect us to, it will give a boost to morale and fresh blood is always good to have around the squad. It will provide more competition for places which is always good, hopefully it will allow us to play more through the middle as a viable option.

Getting in a midfielder or two, as well as Carrick gaining fitnes and form, Fellaini too, will give the defence more protection and provide better chances for the attackers.

The most important thing for me is getting RVP and Rooney properly fit and firing. A fit RVP would make a huge difference, all you have to do is look at last season for proof of that.

We may well have a good fight for 4th place this season but I am confident the squad will prevail. Moyes is still a good manager, that didnt change overnight, he is still the guy who has won 3 LMA manager of the year awards in the last 10 years or so and I think once the squad is healthier we will see the consistency that will give us a great shot at finishing in the top 4

Realistically, the league is a long shot, too long, too many teams would need to mess up too many times while we were practically perfect, this wont happen. But there is no reason to think the team is out of the running for a place in the top 4.

TL;DR

Not as confident but still very confident, would be shocked if we finished lower then 4th
    what if we don't buy anyone in this window though?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement