Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

kryogen wrote: »
    I wouldnt say I am as confident, I am still very confident though. We have players missing so many games through injury, we have other teams around us who realistically are going to hit a dip in form at some stage this season, every team does.

If we make additions this window, and I expect us to, it will give a boost to morale and fresh blood is always good to have around the squad. It will provide more competition for places which is always good, hopefully it will allow us to play more through the middle as a viable option.

Getting in a midfielder or two, as well as Carrick gaining fitnes and form, Fellaini too, will give the defence more protection and provide better chances for the attackers.

The most important thing for me is getting RVP and Rooney properly fit and firing. A fit RVP would make a huge difference, all you have to do is look at last season for proof of that.

We may well have a good fight for 4th place this season but I am confident the squad will prevail. Moyes is still a good manager, that didnt change overnight, he is still the guy who has won 3 LMA manager of the year awards in the last 10 years or so and I think once the squad is healthier we will see the consistency that will give us a great shot at finishing in the top 4

Realistically, the league is a long shot, too long, too many teams would need to mess up too many times while we were practically perfect, this wont happen. But there is no reason to think the team is out of the running for a place in the top 4.

TL;DR

Not as confident but still very confident, would be shocked if we finished lower then 4th
    I think we will finish 5th. even the games we have won have been very unconvincing.It has been a shocking season. The performances just havent been good enough.Depends if we recruit in January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

what if we don't buy anyone in this window though?

As I said, the most important thing to me is RVP and his fitness, if we sign nobody in this window I would still be confident. There is enough in the squad to finish top 4.

The squad that has finished in the top 2 for the last 8 seasons (this current squad you could say for the last 3-4 I guess) doesnt become a mid table one overnight, particularly not when it was strengthened, Fellaini will be a good addition when he can get his injury problems out of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If Vidic, Carrick, Rooney and RVP remain at least 95% injury free till end of season and Fellaini finds his Everton form(even 80% for now) then I be confident of top 4, even without a signing.

2 many "Ifs" though and our injury crisis last few seasons has been too horrific to be optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So Rooney stalling on a new contract. Fecking wonderful.

Glad we spent all that time an effort in the summer sorting the Rooney issue, another wonderful moment for Woodward and moyes -it was never sorted, just been left to fester in the background.

Infuriating.

sigh:(

banghead.gif

Glad we spent all that time an effort in the summer sorting the Rooney issue, another wonderful moment for Woodward and moyes -it was never sorted, just been left to fester in the background.

Infuriating.

Can you give a few more details there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Who thinks we are going to make top 4? I think no chance with the current squad. Current prediction is 6th.
    If we dont buy in January its 7th or 8th for me.

Usual suspects plus Spurs, Everton and Pool to finish ahead of us.

If we buy 2 players and change our ways then 4th is 50/50 chance.

City, Chelsea and Arsenal will most likely finish ahead of us.

Liverpool have to be favorites to do so too as well but they are been carried by 1 player, that 1 player gets injured or suspended who knows.

Everton i think will fall away as they have a small squad and their players rarely get a week off. They are also relying on a young striker to deliver a full season of goals.

Spurs are a bit of an unknown quantity as they have loads of new players and now a new unproven manager. They will go on a run or fade out, who knows?

As for us we have had a lot of injuries to top players. If we can get our big players fit for the second half of season we will do ok. As has been mentioned our defense is different nearly every week because of injuries. Top that off with a poor midfield; our best midfielder for the last few seasons has been hampered by bad form and injuries. Fellaini is not a bad player but has also been injured and possibly intimidated of being a utd player.

I think we could possibly get by without having a flair player in the middle. I think 2 all round midfielders rather than one defensive and 1 attacking would suit us. It pains me to say it but citys midfield of yaya and fernandinho just works. Both can attack but you wouldnt put either in the class of a sneijder or modric that we have been linked with. For me sneijder would be a car crash as he needs to play number 10, modric can play deeper but would leave us open defensively. Everyone mentions Vidal and Gundagon, although i would like us to sign both i just cant see it. Utd never sign the player that the fans want signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Infuriating.

I had a suspicion at the time, that a deal was struck for Rooney to stay , help us have a solid season (ie: top 4) to give Moyes a good start and then the club would let him go on his way in the summer and we could start a rebuilding job. I hope I m wrong but it looks like he agreed to give us a year then píss off somewhere else for a new ''challenge''

sigh:(

Said it a while back, when people were bugging up Rooney as a reason Woodward and moyes didn't have a shockng summer - they never solved that issue. Don't know what they put so much effort in to in the summer, as nothing seems to actually have happened.

Said it a while back, when people were bugging up Rooney as a reason Woodward and moyes didn't have a shockng summer - they never solved that issue. Don't know what they put so much effort in to in the summer, as nothing seems to actually have happened.

Exactly right. All that time and effort and nothing concrete to show for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Here's a thought... I reckon the Young was not going to be in the squad and the injury is a fabrication to highlight the illegality of the lloris challenge and the wrongdoing of the ref, this has the added effect of maybe dispelling the notion of Young constantly diving and he might actually get the next decision.

Incidentally... I quite like reading some of the jousts on here, its easy skip down along.

Can you give a few more details there?

What more details? He hasn't signed or agreed to discuss a new contract with united at this point. Woodward banged on about the work put into keeping him, but what work was actually done?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Can anyone blame Rooney? I was as annoyed at his wanting to leave (again) as everyone else, but realistically, he wants to be the best and win everything. Can he be expected to stay at a club in United's position? What good would signing a new deal do him? It would just make it harder for him to leave. RVP left Arsenal because he craved success...

So, where has this news come from?

Edit: I should put in that I know The Guardian had a lovely headline and some wonderful artistic license with some Moyes comments, is that it?

As I said, the most important thing to me is RVP and his fitness, if we sign nobody in this window I would still be confident. There is enough in the squad to finish top 4.

The squad that has finished in the top 2 for the last 8 seasons (this current squad you could say for the last 3-4 I guess) doesnt become a mid table one overnight, particularly not when it was strengthened, Fellaini will be a good addition when he can get his injury problems out of the way.
    If Vidic, Carrick, Rooney and RVP remain at least 95% injury free till end of season and Fellaini finds his Everton form(even 80% for now) then I be confident of top 4, even without a signing.

2 many "Ifs" though and our injury crisis last few seasons has been too horrific to be optimistic.

This>

Only once in premier league history has a team finished ahead of utd and not won the league. There is half a ****ing season to go and with rvp, rooney, carrick and a settled centre back pairing fit for even 90% of the games we will be playing champions league next year.

City, Chelsea and Arsenal will most likely finish ahead of us.

Liverpool have to be favorites to do so too as well but they are been carried by 1 player, that 1 player gets injured or suspended who knows.

Everton i think will fall away as they have a small squad and their players rarely get a week off. They are also relying on a young striker to deliver a full season of goals.

Spurs are a bit of an unknown quantity as they have loads of new players and now a new unproven manager. They will go on a run or fade out, who knows?

As for us we have had a lot of injuries to top players. If we can get our big players fit for the second half of season we will do ok. As has been mentioned our defense is different nearly every week because of injuries. Top that off with a poor midfield; our best midfielder for the last few seasons has been hampered by bad form and injuries. Fellaini is not a bad player but has also been injured and possibly intimidated of being a utd player.

I think we could possibly get by without having a flair player in the middle. I think 2 all round midfielders rather than one defensive and 1 attacking would suit us. It pains me to say it but citys midfield of yaya and fernandinho just works. Both can attack but you wouldnt put either in the class of a sneijder or modric that we have been linked with. For me sneijder would be a car crash as he needs to play number 10, modric can play deeper but would leave us open defensively. Everyone mentions Vidal and Gundagon, although i would like us to sign both i just cant see it. Utd never sign the player that the fans want signed.

Good post and agree with it.

Homer posted yesterday that Gundagon is United fan. It just gives me bit more hope were we to be in for him. Of course we more likely looking at someone else if anybody.

Your last sentence could not be more true.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

So, where has this news come from?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/03/injured-wayne-rooney-contract-manchester-united

This is positive though

Moyes's priority in the January transfer window is a midfielder and he would not rule out signing a player cup-tied for the Champions League. "I think it is important, but it's not the biggest thing because obviously you've got other games to play, FA Cup ties, League Cup ties, Premier League games," he said. "But if they are available you would like them to be able to play in the Champions League as well."
    Despite speculation that United could revive their interest in Chelsea's Juan Mata, Moyes refused to discuss the playmaker and it is understood that the club will not move for the Spaniard or Ross Barkley in January. "I would never talk about players at other clubs. That is my stock answer. I didn't do it in the summer and I certainly would do it now," he said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Losing Rooney would be the last thing ye need right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah that seems likely...or it could just be that as usual nobody in front of him is doing anything or just running away from him at full pelt and nobody bar the defenders are available to pass. Is it ok when Xavi does it just so I know?

You're a gay fish.

• Advertisement

KH25 wrote: »
    Can anyone blame Rooney? I was as annoyed at his wanting to leave (again) as everyone else, but realistically, he wants to be the best and win everything. Can he be expected to stay at a club in United's position? What good would signing a new deal do him? It would just make it harder for him to leave. RVP left Arsenal because he craved success...

Rooney can go and do one if he thinks he has the right to bail out on us now. He came as an 18 year old and got looked after properly and developed in to a world class player and got very well paid to boot. He got the opportunity to win the PL, CL, League cup and numerous individual honours while getting very well paid. He kicked up a stink a few years back and got a big fat contract that in my mind he didnt deserve because he was sulking and overweight. The club has been very good to him and now he needs to start paying them back by leading the team through a rough patch. You cant just leave when suddenly things start going badly.

I might be ranting but its not at you KH25, Rooney just gets on my tits!:D

I edited my post sorry, I mean where does it actually say what Mitch posted and now people will get up in arms about? (As is already happening judging by a couple of posts since, ridiculously)

Here is the part of the article that deals with it
    Asked how confident Moyes would be of Rooney signing fresh terms if United did not finish in the top four, the Scot said: "Well, we would have to wait and see what [would] happen if that situation arose."

Moyes was asked did he think Wayne would sign a new deal even if United didnt finish top 4, he gave a stock answer. Nothing to get into a heap about. What is he gonna say like
    DM-ICE wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/03/injured-wayne-rooney-contract-manchester-united

This is positive though

Moyes's priority in the January transfer window is a midfielder and he would not rule out signing a player cup-tied for the Champions League. "I think it is important, but it's not the biggest thing because obviously you've got other games to play, FA Cup ties, League Cup ties, Premier League games," he said. "But if they are available you would like them to be able to play in the Champions League as well."
    Despite speculation that United could revive their interest in Chelsea's Juan Mata, Moyes refused to discuss the playmaker and it is understood that the club will not move for the Spaniard or Ross Barkley in January. "I would never talk about players at other clubs. That is my stock answer. I didn't do it in the summer and I certainly would do it now," he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I really think the club is in bigger trouble than some on here think.

If little or nothing is done I dread to think what will happen. On and off the field just ooze lack of cohesion, direction, leadership, commitment.

It's really feeling like the rug is being pulled from beneath our feet in slow motion and no one is aware of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

He talked about Fab during the summer but all of a sudden starts talking about bull**** not talking about players.

n32 wrote: »
    Rooney can go and do one if he thinks he has the right to bail out on us now. He came as an 18 year old and got looked after properly and developed in to a world class player and got very well paid to boot. He got the opportunity to win the PL, CL, League cup and numerous individual honours while getting very well paid. He kicked up a stink a few years back and got a big fat contract that in my mind he didnt deserve because he was sulking and overweight. The club has been very good to him and now he needs to start paying them back by leading the team through a rough patch. You cant just leave when suddenly things start going badly.

I might be ranting but its not at you KH25, Rooney just gets on my tits!:D

I completely agree with what you've just said and I've cursed Rooney to high heaven several times over his handing in a transfer request and general acting like a child over the years. But, at the end of the day, footballers that stay with one club for life are a dying breed. Rooney is also one of the few who could achieve even more than he already has in a better equipped team. Can he really be expected to make a longer commitment to a club that hasn't exactly made great attempts to fix its deficienies?

Good post and agree with it.

Homer posted yesterday that Gundagon is United fan. It just gives me bit more hope were we to be in for him. Of course we more likely looking at someone else if anybody.

Your last sentence could not be more true.

Possibly i should have added to that a little. If we have 2 all rounders in cm we can play attacking players out wide. Adnan and maybe kagawa if he can find form. If you play cm's like that you need unpredictability out wide, not tony v running along the touchline and firing the ball as hard as he can anywhere. Adnan is best cutting in but if he needs he can take full back on and whip in a cross. Valencia is shocking, even at his very best i could believe how naive defenders where. Nani can do it but he needs to step up. Before people give out that he doesnt get a chance, you need to prove it in training and thats why adnan is in the team. If you are the best player in training every day you will play games simple as that.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    He talked about Fab during the summer but all of a sudden starts talking about bull**** not talking about players.

I think after the summer he is going to be very careful what he says in regards to what players he wants, whether we are bidding for someone, I doubt he will be saying much unless a deal is basically done. Cant afford to get peoples hopes or expectations up again. He would be lynched :)

I think after the summer he is going to be very careful what he says in regards to what players he wants, whether we are bidding for someone, I doubt he will be saying much unless a deal is basically done. Cant afford to get peoples hopes or expectations up again. He would be lynched :)

This. The Summer was a PR disaster. With things going as they are, Moyes doesn't need any more crap.

It was fair stupid of him during the summer, a right rookie mistake

I have the pitch forks and torches ready

Headshot wrote: »
    It was fair stupid of him during the summer, a right rookie mistake

I have the pitch forks and torches ready

Agreed, he should just take the approach of treating the media like mushrooms* tbh

*in case anyone doesnt get that it means, feed em **** and keep em in the dark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

This>

Only once in premier league history has a team finished ahead of utd and not won the league. There is half a ****ing season to go and with rvp, rooney, carrick and a settled centre back pairing fit for even 90% of the games we will be playing champions league next year.

Yeah but that was under Ferguson. Moyes has no experience of it and all the control. Nothing that has happened before matters now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

But RvP won diddly squat bar the FA Cup at Arsenal and that was like 9 years ago now. Rooney has achieved pretty much everything at United and should have and be showing more loyalty imo.

adox wrote: »
    I really think the club is in bigger trouble than some on here think.

If little or nothing is done I dread to think what will happen. On and off the field just ooze lack of cohesion, direction, leadership, commitment.

It's really feeling like the rug is being pulled from beneath our feet in slow motion and no one is aware of it.

Deep down I have been thinking the same for month or so.

Next 4-5 months could still go either way though.

Get things right next few weeks and we might see light at end of tunnel, if not we be staying in that tunnel for while.

Agreed, he should just take the approach of treating the media like mushrooms* tbh

*in case anyone doesnt get that it means, feed em **** and keep em in the dark

Kry knows a bit to much about mushrooms ;) no wonder your always relaxed and happy :D

Liam O wrote: »
    But RvP won diddly squat bar the FA Cup at Arsenal and that was like 9 years ago now. Rooney has achieved pretty much everything at United and should have and be showing more loyalty imo.

Im not arguing against that. Im all for being loyal to your club. Players like Scholes, Giggs, Gerard etc are all to be greatly admired for their dedication and love for their teams. But we know Rooney is not that type of player. So does it surprised anyone at all that he's stalling and most likely waiting to see United make a statement of intent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I hope Rooney isn't using the current circumstances to try and squeeze more money out of the club.

Im not arguing against that. Im all for being loyal to your club. Players like Scholes, Giggs, Gerard etc are all to be greatly admired for their dedication and love for their teams. But we know Rooney is not that type of player. So does it surprised anyone at all that he's stalling and most likely waiting to see United make a statement of intent?

I was on same boat untill the summer. Felt Rooney was being a disgrace. Then I sat back and thought about it.

He will be at the club 10 years in September. He has always always given 100% on the pitch for us. Love him or be annoyed with his contract antics he has never refused to play and has been true professional on the pitch.

He came to United to win trophies. He is ambitious. He does not want to play for a club who aint going where they should be.

Deep down I think he wants to stay and I think my gut feeling is telling me he is trying to wake board up.(just my 2c)

GSPfan wrote: »
    Yeah but that was under Ferguson. Moyes has no experience of it and all the control. Nothing that has happened before matters now.

If you ask any chef about their success they put everything down to good ingredients. Football isnt much different. You dont win leagues with **** players. We have the same team that won the league last year plus one of the best midfielders in the league for last few seasons. Injuries have been a cúnt plus it was always going to be an impossible job taking over from fergie. Fergie is probably my biggest hero in life due to the happiness he has brought me over 20+ years but he made mistakes and he made big ones. Fergie is gone now, forget about the past and look forward.

Manchester United will never carry on at the top if we turn into Liverpool and talk of the success we used to have, i dont care what we did last year or the year before. Rebuild the team and go again, people forget the years around the mid noughties when we were ****é. We bought Rooney, Ronaldo etc and we dominated albeit after a transition.

I was on same boat untill the summer. Felt Rooney was being a disgrace. Then I sat back and thought about it.

He will be at the club 10 years in September. He has always always given 100% on the pitch for us. Love him or be annoyed with his contract antics he has never refused to play and has been true professional on the pitch.

He came to United to win trophies. He is ambitious. He does not want to play for a club who aint going where they should be.

Deep down I think he wants to stay and I think my gut feeling is telling me he is trying to wake board up.(just my 2c)

I hope so. It is the kind of thing that the club would have to react to. If he says 'invest properly, or I'm off!' they'll have to do so regardless of whether he stays or not.

Its pathetic to think that we are imagining this scenario though.

If you ask any chef about their success they put everything down to good ingredients.

I got really worried that this was going to be another cake machine analogy :P

I got really worried that this was going to be another cake machine analogy :P
    But i like cake :)

• Advertisement

But i like cake :)

Nani.jpg

Nani.jpg
    how many ovens does 1 man need?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The idea that keeping a star player from leaving is a major success is a smaller team mentality to me. It should have been expected that if we wanted Rooney to stay, we should have been able to keep him. To claim it a major success that a star player hasnt moved away is what you do at a smaller club when a big team come knocking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nani.jpg
    Hey, it's that picture again that was taken about 6 years ago.

Hey, it's that picture again that was taken about 6 years ago.

Who pissed on your corn cakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Who pissed on your corn cakes

Terry Wogan

Fact!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I keep reading people talking about injuries, and that we will improve and finish in the top four once our injuries improve. Am I the only person that thinks that our current league position has nothing to do with our injuries at all?

We will be better when RVP gets back will we? Sorry, but we were ****e for the first 10 games with RVP, what exactly is going to change when he returns?

Oh but Carrick was missing and he is our best midfielder? Yes, he is our best midfielder, he also played 10 of our first 11 games and we were just as abject then as we are now.

Felliani is injured? He sure as hell didn't do much when he was fit did he?

Injuries aren't our problem this season as far as I am concerned, and I think people shouldn't be using them as an excuse for our rubbish performances. More importantly, people shouldn't be expecting things to improve just because RVP comes back, his absence isn't the big problem in the first place.

• Advertisement

Mirrors

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement