Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Did you even read what I posted? Nobody says RVP doesn't have an impact on the team,
    Oh for gods sake. NOBODY SAYS RVP DOES NOT HAVE A BIG IMPACT!!!

12 hours later...
    You rightly called people who said RVPs injury will had no impact this season idiots....
    RVP and Carrick out not having an effect? The mind truly boggles how that can be said with a straight face.

You truly are a valuable contributor to this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

12 hours later...

It bears clarifying at this stage.

Do you think RVP being out has had a big impact and/or do you think his return will have a big impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Its usually takes a couple of weeks for the transfer window to get serious so the stories are weak at best so far
    UTD send legal team to broker deal for Koko

I think this was mentioned yesterday. Its goal.com and most likely bs

http://www.goal.com/en-sg/news/3875/transfer-zone/2014/01/03/4518791/manchester-united-send-delegation-to-negotiate-for-koke

More on Koke
    Man United Source ‏@1ManUnitedNews #1MUN Source: We have been told that a deal has been verbally agree for Koke. Only paper talks left. The fee is said to be around £32M.

Its a tweet so most likely erroneous but these guys did call us going in for Khedira on deadline day, then said we would be in again in Jan, up until he got injured, then said it won't happen.
    They also called Meulensteen leaving Anzhi first too I think, so just maybe............

https://twitter.com/1ManUnitedNews/status/419115654973636609

The mirror has us and Chelsea on alert for Inters Esteban Cambiasso as his contract is almost up

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-chelsea-transfer-alert-2980846

He is 33, i smell bs

La stampa are sying a swap deal involving Chico for Mateo Kovacic might happen
    Manchester United Latest: Javier Hernandez Out, Mateo Kovacic In? - originally posted on Soccerlens.comAccording to Turin based newspaper La Stampa, Inter Milan could be willing to sell one of their prized assets Mateo Kovacic to Manchester United, should they land Red Devil’s striker Javier Hernandez as a part of the deal. The Mexican … Read More →From Soccerlens.com - Football News...

http://www.footballhq.co.uk/news/manchester-united-latest-javier-hernandez-out-mateo-kovacic-in#.UsgFg7ToD1U

He is a 19yr old Croation MF player, no idea how good he is

Reus happy at Dortmund
    Marco Reus insists that he is happy to stay at Borussia Dortmund despite reports linking him with a move to Manchester United.
    The 24-year-old attacking midfielder has two-and-a-half years remaining on his current deal, but he has been the subject of speculation since he starred in last season's Champions League campaign, when Dortmund reached the final.
    Manchester City and Barcelona are also rumoured to be interested in the German's services, although he maintains that he is content at the Westfalenstadion.
    "I have a contract with Borussia Dortmund and I am happy to be here," he told BILD.

PSG ready £22 million (€26.56) million bid for Newcastle's Yohan Cabaye.

Maybe we can strike him from the list (good if you ask me)

1/1 Zaha to Cardiff ... http://www.skybet.com/football/specials/transfer-specials

Matching the odds to Ole it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

From bucketybucks original post I thought he meant that RVP coming back would not significantly turn our horrible performances around. Which I agree with. He will improve the team but the problems are far worse than just missing RVP.

Is that correct? I'd agree with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Quote:
    UTD send legal team to broker deal for Koko

This made me laugh out loud.

12 hours later...

Just catching up now but you said what you said so i'll point you to the same post as Kroygen did
    My point remains the same. We were ****ing dire with Carrick and RVP in the team for the first 10 games. Their return is not going to magically improve our performances. Sure, Van Persie will convert more chances than anybody else, he is world class after all, and he will improve our chances of gaining points. But their return will not suddenly see up shoot up the table.

Their return is not going to magically improve our performances? I disagree. If RVP and Carrick had been present for the Everton, Newcastle and Spurs games I think you would have seen a lot more decisive play in the final third and much better finishing of chances created. I would expect us to have 7 points more,

Anyway you have since said you do think there absence is having an effect but you say them coming back wont improve us. Kind of contradictory but I'll accept what you said since then.

keane2097 wrote: »
    It bears clarifying at this stage.

Do you think RVP being out has had a big impact and/or do you think his return will have a big impact?

My original point was that people should not be using injuries as an excuse for our poor performance this season. This was in reference to a few people who repeated the claim that once our injuries clear up we will finish in the top four.

RVP is a world class player, and with him in the team we are more likely to win games and gain points than we are without. But even when RVP was in the team before his injury we looked disjointed, lethargic, devoid of creativity and were not playing like a top four team. What reason is there to think that this will be different when he returns?

RVP has a big impact as a whole for Manchester United. Buts Uniteds problems have been poor performance all over the park, poor tactics, poor creativity, poor defensive work and various other issues. Even the impact of a world class player like RVP is not fixing those problems.

Ergo, we are not struggling because of the absence of RVP, we are struggling because of other reasons, and injuries should not be used as an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

MUTV showing goals of 2013, just showed the Norwich victory with Kagawa's sexy hat trick which led me to believe we had finally cracked it with how to use him. Also Rooneys pile driver which I'd forgotten about. That game sent us 15 clear at the top.

Just catching up now but you said what you said so i'll point you to the same post as Kroygen did

I would suggest then that you should try to catch up before attempting to comment on individual posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Was wondering how long it would be before the media dragged up Rooneys contract, its a no brainer he wont discuss anything until after the WC.

I would suggest then that you should try to catch up before attempting to comment on individual posts.

I did. I caught up on the thread and then posted. I wasn't singling you out or even mentioned you until you qutoed me but anyway its nothing, sorry if it came accross that way, it clear we miss RVP and Carrick to me.

Was wondering how long it would be before the media dragged up Rooneys contract, its a no brainer he wont discuss anything until after the WC.

No, I don't accept this.

Fergie left last summer, more then one whole year before the world cup. Why didn't Rooney discuss his contract last summer, one whole year before the world cup?

I was one of those that stuck by my opinion that I couldn't care less if Rooney left in the summer, and his subsequent performances haven't changed my opinion. I think Rooney is going to either hand in a transfer request or run out his contract, and he should have been told to **** off long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Our Spanish legal contingent have arrived at the La Liga headquarters to conduct some business

BDDefinitionThreeAmigos03.jpg

No, I don't accept this.

Fergie left last summer, more then one whole year before the world cup. Why didn't Rooney discuss his contract last summer, one whole year before the world cup?

I was one of those that stuck by my opinion that I couldn't care less if Rooney left in the summer, and his subsequent performances haven't changed my opinion. I think Rooney is going to either hand in a transfer request or run out his contract, and he should have been told to **** off long ago.

Really? For me he has been awesome and his attitude on the pitch an example to others. We must hang onto him at all costs.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Really? For me he has been awesome and his attitude on the pitch an example to others. We must hang onto him at all costs.

^^this^^

as I have said before it amazes me how the majority are not screaming for news of Rooney rather than a new signing.

lads as an apposing point of view he has been the difference between a bad start and an absolute disastrous start.

many opposition fan would get pleasure out of him leaving, and I make no apologies either.

not that it needed to be said but...
    that should tell you all you need to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No, I don't accept this.

Em... Have you watched Rooney play this season.... You'd be in a hell of a different position right now without him. And not in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

My original point was that people should not be using injuries as an excuse for our poor performance this season. This was in reference to a few people who repeated the claim that once our injuries clear up we will finish in the top four.

RVP is a world class player, and with him in the team we are more likely to win games and gain points than we are without. But even when RVP was in the team before his injury we looked disjointed, lethargic, devoid of creativity and were not playing like a top four team. What reason is there to think that this will be different when he returns?

RVP has a big impact as a whole for Manchester United. Buts Uniteds problems have been poor performance all over the park, poor tactics, poor creativity, poor defensive work and various other issues. Even the impact of a world class player like RVP is not fixing those problems.

Ergo, we are not struggling because of the absence of RVP, we are struggling because of other reasons, and injuries should not be used as an excuse.

Injuries are a big excuse for this season. Our best 5 players last season Ferdinand, Rafael, Vidic, Carrick and RVP have barely featured all season. If they were all missing last season we would have struggled big time.

Last season we looked lethargic and disjointed especially the first half of the season we were all over the place in the first half of the season because of injuries at the back. Vidic and Ferdinand were missing and we were conceding goals all over the place. The magic from Rooney and RVP was bailing us out. How many games were we awful but RVP scraped us a win. If we had the likes of RVP i would be confident we would have 4-6 points more right now. People are making out as if we played free flowing football last season we were poor last season also. We all talked about imagine if we lost RVP and Carrick how much trouble we would be in well now we are seeing it. Add in out three best defenders from last season and you are in deep trouble and Evra well we may aswell be playing with 10 men.

I will not deny their has been poor tactics. We can all see moyes doesn't trust our midfield and he wants to just get it to the wings. Unfortunately our wingers are very average also. I am confident he will sign a midfielder or two and we will play better football. At the start of the season Moyes didn't know his best team he was rotating a lot and then injuries hit and now he is just grinding out results.

I don't know how you can say injuries can't be an excuse. Half of our title winning squad from last season has been missing for most of the season that's a massive massive excuse. Do you think our rivals would be able to cope without 5 of their best players for half a season and still be winning all around them.

I have faith once Moyes get's a full squad and adds some of his own players we will be fine.

listermint wrote: »
    Em... Have you watched Rooney play this season.... You'd be in a hell of a different position right now without him. And not in a good way.

Rooney asked to leave this club twice, and I think he is going to do it a third time. I'm not one of those that forgives and forgets just because of a few good games on the field, though clearly many are.

This is a totally separate issue to what happens on the field. Rooney has been our best player this season, but this is about more than just one season. Its about the bigger picture, not about whether we finish 4th or 5th.

He twice asked to leave. He will do it again. He can jog on any time he wants.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Injuries are a big excuse for this season. Our best 5 players last season Ferdinand, Rafael, Vidic, Carrick and RVP have barely featured all season.

You are destroying your own point by using hyperbole. The two most influential players there played nearly every single one of the first ten games and we were rubbish in all of them. Ferdinand played the first six, and he isn't injured anyway, he's just past it. Vidic played 13 league games. 13!! Rafael is the only one that you can legitimately say has barely featured.

These players have done a lot more than just barely featured.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    ^^this^^

as I have said before it amazes me how the majority are not screaming for news of Rooney rather than a new signing.

lads as an apposing point of view he has been the difference between a bad start and an absolute disastrous start.

many opposition fan would get pleasure out of him leaving, and I make no apologies either.

not that it needed to be said but...
    that should tell you all you need to know

Some people can't seem to forget what happened off the field. But on the field he has always given 100%. I have more problems with somebody like Evra and Valencia who don't give a sh?t. People want Evra to stay because he is a big presence in the dressing room. I want him shipped out straight away watching his interview saying players need to improve then watch him collect his big wages every week and not try an inch on the pitch i can;t stand him anymore makes me sick. How Moyes is playing him i don';t know he doesn;t track back 2 or 3 times on average a game and let's the opposition in. The one thing about Rooney is he will try his heart out on the field and that's what matters he loves United. What summed him up was against Spurs in the corner three Spurs players passing the ball he nearly burst a lung chasing down and won a goal kick. I would fear for United if he goes a truly world class player and a leader. United could do with more leaders like Rooney i would make him captain and build a team around him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Regarding Rooney, the man can't be forced to sign but I think united can do what Dortmund have done with lewandowski and at least keep him until his contract expires.

Selling him isn't really and option, selling him to another English club is even less an option (most probably Chelsea) and if we keep him maybe our fortunes will have turned a bit, Rooney will be 1 1/2 yrs older and Chelsea may have sorted out their striker situation.

Hoping this goes the way Roy Keane's situation did years ago with him running down his contract to improve bargaining position only to sign again with united.

Different situations I know but time to hold tough I think and if we lose money in the end with him walking on a Bosman, so be it.

You are destroying your own point by using hyperbole. The two most influential players there played nearly every single one of the first ten games and we were rubbish in all of them. Ferdinand played the first six, and he isn't injured anyway, he's just past it. Vidic played 13 league games. 13!! Rafael is the only one that you can legitimately say has barely featured.

These players have done a lot more than just barely featured.

Sorry to be clear i meant featured as a unit at the back the defence that conceded the least goals once featured regularly after last Christmas.

Evra is just awful this season.
    Ferdinand was a liability shadow of last season.
    Rafael been injured.
    Vidic while playing 13 games anybody can see he is not fully fit all season and he has been poor more often then not.

RVP again you can see almost all season he has not been fully fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Its usually takes a couple of weeks for the transfer window to get serious so the stories are weak at best so far

I think this was mentioned yesterday. Its goal.com and most likely bs

http://www.goal.com/en-sg/news/3875/transfer-zone/2014/01/03/4518791/manchester-united-send-delegation-to-negotiate-for-koke

More on Koke

Its a tweet so most likely erroneous but these guys did call us going in for Khedira on deadline day, then said we would be in again in Jan, up until he got injured, then said it won't happen.
    They also called Meulensteen leaving Anzhi first too I think, so just maybe............

https://twitter.com/1ManUnitedNews/status/419115654973636609

Koke won't happen. He is what I call a puzzle-piece signing as he is just what we need and fits right in, but:

1) His boyhood team are 2 points off the top spot in La Liga and could actually break the Real/Barca era of dominance.
    2) He is excelling in Spain in a World Cup year.
    3) We are not attractive enough to him.

This one is a non-runner for me.

The mirror has us and Chelsea on alert for Inters Esteban Cambiasso as his contract is almost up

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-chelsea-transfer-alert-2980846

He is 33, i smell bs

Almost definitely BS, but I'd take Cambiasso on a short deal, why the f not.
    La stampa are sying a swap deal involving Chico for Mateo Kovacic might happen

http://www.footballhq.co.uk/news/manchester-united-latest-javier-hernandez-out-mateo-kovacic-in#.UsgFg7ToD1U

I'd take that. Kovacic has the potential to be a dominant player in the position over the next decade, Hernandez needs the team to create his chances which is why he hasn't been playing well, we don't create chances so he doesn't score. He is an absolute angel but a deal like this would improve us.

He is a 19yr old Croation MF player, no idea how good he is

Don't know him, no opinion on him.

Reus happy at Dortmund

Good for him. Not realistic at all.

PSG ready £22 million (€26.56) million bid for Newcastle's Yohan Cabaye.

Maybe we can strike him from the list (good if you ask me)

Cabaye is easily an improvement on our situation but I've never liked his attitude and a really dislike the smugness of Alan Pardew, and imagining the erection he would get from holding United to ransom over Cabaye is disturbing, don't want to do business with that mob.

1/1 Zaha to Cardiff ... http://www.skybet.com/football/specials/transfer-specials

Matching the odds to Ole it seems

Surely Wilf would be more comfortable at Palace, either way it would be nice to see him tested properly.

My infamous summer list won't be appearing again, but I'll just say I would be upset if we didn't at least submit a non-insulting bid for one or more of Kovacic, Matic, Rakitic, Marchisio and Banega who I think are all within our reach.

On the winger front, I think difference makers like Angel Di Maria and Xherdan Shaqiri could possibly be tempted, and PSV have a kid called Zakaria Bakkali who could be a huge player.

As for left back. Just get Coentrao signed up so we can drop Evra, it's beyond ridiculous at this stage. Coentrao might not be the long term solution, and for what its worth I think Luke Shaw is destined for Chelsea, but its a much needed stop-gap.

I was one of the people remaining calm throughout the summer window. I thought Fellaini would offer something, and at least we would be close to the team that won the league last year, I was wrong. It's now at the point where if we don't make a signing in this window that does something to show that we know we have problems and are pro-actively trying to fix them, then I fear there is something seriously wrong going on regarding the running of this club.

Rooney asked to leave this club twice, and I think he is going to do it a third time. I'm not one of those that forgives and forgets just because of a few good games on the field, though clearly many are.

This is a totally separate issue to what happens on the field. Rooney has been our best player this season, but this is about more than just one season. Its about the bigger picture, not about whether we finish 4th or 5th.

He twice asked to leave. He will do it again. He can jog on any time he wants.

Rooney asked to leave the club when he saw us sitting around doing nothing while the likes of City and Chelsea were improving. I don;t think he wanted to leave i think he wanted to make a point to the board invest or i am leaving. He is a winner he may have went about it the wrong way but if worked out for the club after he done this. He doesn't seen the brightest and probably has bad advisers but i don't think he wanted to leave United.

I don;t believe he asked to leave the club a second time. Unless you can prove some sort of decent source i have no interest discussing it.

You think he is going to do it a third time again speculation. I believe he asked to leave once to force the board to invest in the team and i don't think he wants to leave.

People make mistakes his performances on the pitch the last few season's on the field have helped me forgive him. Like i said i have a far bigger problem with players like Evra who don't give it all on the pitch.

RVP again you can see almost all season he has not been fully fit.

What? RVP was not carrying an injury for the first ten games, if that is what you mean?

He might have looked lethargic, but thats more to do with the rumors of overtraining if you believe the stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Some people can't seem to forget what happened off the field. But on the field he has always given 100%.

I think that's a myth tbh. I can remember quite a few games where Rooney has looked disinterested and hasn't bothered his arse. He was awful for the first half of last season, unfit, blowing after 10 minutes.

Now he has been brilliant this season and we would be in a lot more trouble than we currently are only for him, but I'd say he will more than likely leave. If he was in any doubt, the state that the club is currently in under Moyes will have made his mind up I think.

He has been a brilliant player for us but at the same time has acted like a spoilt child at times, acted unprofessionally and disrespected the club. I can totally see Bucketybucks point of view on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Would Banega be a worthwhile signing? Is he not more of a number 10?

No Banega plays deeper.

Good video showing his talents here:

By the way, I don't have any association to Scout Nation, I've posted a bit about them, I just think they are the best channel on YouTube and really have their **** together. I also don't like to have an opinion about a player until I've seen them play live on a few occasions, but YouTube clips can be a good way of seeing a player's traits, even if they are only the good ones.

Rooney asked about leaving the club twice yes. This was under Fergie who he had a difficult relationship with. There was the whole non injury England interview and being dropped for Madrid. Rooney acted poorly but he was being played out of position a lot under Fergie and it obviously frustrated him, he can't reach his full potential out wide but always gave it everything when asked to do so.

Fergie is a strong character and if he believed Rooney to be injured he would have held that opinion. He tried to stop Sven GE taking him to the world cup by telling him Rooney was injured, Sven and his doctor said otherwise and took Rooney to the WC. Both Rooney and Fergie are passionate people and they are bound to have bumped heads at times.

According to Rooney iirc he never officially put in a transfer request. What was telling for me was Rooneys first post match interview after Fergies book came out. He said he was glad Fergie cleard up what Rooney had said about handing in a transfer request, ie that he cleared it up in the book Rooney hadn't after Fergie saying in his last post match interview Rooney had. I'm not sure Fergie did clear it up fully as I haven't read the book but Roo ney seemed happy with it.

Why was he happy? For me he cares what UTD fans think of him and he cares for UTD. He was unhappy at the lack of quality coming into the club as we all are and made a mistake in expressing it. Are we to hold this against him forever, he continued to clash with Fergie and words were exchanged which Fergie made public. It was not ideal from either but there is a time to move on.

Rooney is one of the top players in the world and a standout in the EPL in the regard he is built for it imo. His commitment on the pitch this season has been immense. He has won me over and I pray that he remains.

adox wrote: »
    I think that's a myth tbh. I can remember quite a few games where Rooney has looked disinterested and hasn't bothered his arse. He was awful for the first half of last season, unfit, blowing after 10 minutes.

Now he has been brilliant this season and we would be in a lot more trouble than we currently are only for him, but I'd say he will more than likely leave. If he was in any doubt, the state that the club is currently in under Moyes will have made his mind up I think.

He has been a brilliant player for us but at the same time has acted like a spoilt child at times, acted unprofessionally and disrespected the club. I can totally see Bucketybucks point of view on him.

You mean last season where he had 10 goals and 12 assists the first half of the season and people said he was poor. He was poor when for no reason at all while in great form he was shoved out to the wing where he was wasted. He was unfit the first game of the season i will give you that but that was about it. Rooney was better than RVP the first half of last season and on course for his best season at the club until Fergie for some strange reason messed him around. Was it because he thought we were going to win the league and a way at getting back at Rooney i don't know. But i can't think of any other reason he was messed around.

• Advertisement

What? RVP was not carrying an injury for the first ten games, if that is what you mean?

He might have looked lethargic, but thats more to do with the rumors of overtraining if you believe the stories.

I don't know if he was carrying an injury but he never looked fully fit. His first touch was off and his finishing was poor by his standards. To me it looked like he was playing through niggling injuries and should have been rested. It might be overtraining i don't know but i think Moyes handled him poorly the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

It's been said that SAF used Bayern as a template on how to structure United; especially with regard to non-playing roles at the club with ex-players getting lots of roles.

They need to copy the Bayern method of buying while in a position of strength too, whilst weakening their rivals too. It's more difficult to do in England and especially with the likes of City and Chelsea around. RvP was a great example of how they did succeed in this regard however.
    Lewandowski 'in Munich for Bayern medical'

Yahoo! Eurosport

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

KH25 wrote: »
    Would Banega be a worthwhile signing? Is he not more of a number 10?

He is absolute quality but as pointed out not a no.10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

They need to copy the Bayern method of buying while in a position of strength too, whilst weakening their rivals too. It's more difficult to do in England and especially with the likes of City and Chelsea around. RvP was a great example of how they did succeed in this regard however.

Yahoo! Eurosport

That will never happen in English football and never will . The RVP transfer was a rare one . The last big transfer between two English teams was Torres to Chelsea and before that I can't even remember when it happened previously .

Rooney asked about leaving the club twice yes. This was under Fergie who he had a difficult relationship with. There was the whole non injury England interview and being dropped for Madrid. Rooney acted poorly but he was being played out of position a lot under Fergie and it obviously frustrated him, he can't reach his full potential out wide but always gave it everything when asked to do so.

Fergie is gone over 7 months now, still no new contract signed by Rooney.

That will never happen in English football and never will . The RVP transfer was a rare one . The last big transfer between two English teams was Torres to Chelsea and before that I can't even remember when it happened previously .

Looking back, it seems that in fairness that United do it regularly, Cantona, Keane, Cole, Sheringham, Yorke, Rio, Saha, Smith, Rooney, Carrick, Berbatov, Valencia, Young, RvP.

Out of those Cantona, Cole and RvP were ones that weakened direct rivals, while Carrick and Berbatov could be that too, but until this season Spurs weren't competing with United for league position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Nasri comes to mind.

Looking back, it seems that in fairness that United do it regularly, Cantona, Keane, Cole, Sheringham, Yorke, Rio, Saha, Smith, Rooney, Carrick, Berbatov, Valencia, Young, RvP.

Even Rio Ferdinand from Leeds was a big money transfer of one of the best young defenders in the world between two rival clubs, Leeds still being a big club at the time.

I read Banega is a tad nuts is that correct ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

It's been said that SAF used Bayern as a template on how to structure United; especially with regard to non-playing roles at the club with ex-players getting lots of roles.

Yahoo! Eurosport

If city & Chelsea didn't have the owners they had, and united the debt the owners have put on them, its conceivable that there would be such a financial gulf between united and the rest, that that sort of situation could exist in England.

United would most likely have the success and money to tempt the players, as well as the financial muscle to force other clubs to sell

Even Rio Ferdinand from Leeds was a big money transfer of one of the best young defenders in the world between two rival clubs, Leeds still being a big club at the time.

And if two of the most recent, Valencia and Young were to fulfill their potential, United would be sitting much higher in the league right now.

Rio was the first player to leave in what would become a fire sale at Leeds due to the financial pressure of failing to qualify for the champions league. The beginning of the end of the Ridsdale gamble, O'Leary left job over it (or was given bullet over it).

Rio was the first player to leave in what would become a fire sale at Leeds due to the financial pressure of failing to qualify for the champions league. The beginning of the end of the Ridsdale gamble, O'Leary left job over it (or was given bullet over it).

There's a (possibly false) anecdote I heard about a time when O'Leary was about to give a first full pro contract to a youth player. Asked how much he would accept, player said 10k; O'Leary gave him 30k! :pac:

I read Banega is a tad nuts is that correct ?

That is possibly true, and our recent form with Argentines is iffy at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

There's a (possibly false) anecdote I heard about a time when O'Leary was about to give a first full pro contract to a youth player. Asked how much he would accept, player said 10k; O'Leary gave him 30k! :pac:

That's allegedly what happened with Seth Johnson iirc

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    That is possibly true, and our recent form with Argentines is iffy at best.

Excellent we've needed a nutter for a while.

yabadabado wrote: »
    That's allegedly what happened with Seth Johnson iirc

Seth story went as follows, a myth though it seems
    It goes as follows: Johnson had been earning £5,000 a week at Derby and his agent told him he wouldn't settle for less than £13,000 a week at Leeds. Ridsdale's opening gambit, however, surprised them both. "Right, I'm sorry, I can only offer you £30,000 a week," he said. Around the table jaws dropped in genuine shock. "Oh, all right then," said Ridsdale, filling the silence, "£37,000."
    The story is untrue. Ridsdale says it is "a myth", that he had seen Johnson's contract at Derby and his actual offer was "two grand more than what [he was] getting" there. Johnson's agent, Leon Angel, said: "We went into that meeting with a figure in mind for what we wanted. We negotiated and I can tell you we didn't get everything we wanted. In other words, it was a perfectly normal negotiation."

Wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Can someone throw me a few names to follow on twitter with regards to transfer rumours and news please

This is gold from the Mirror.

They have weighed up UTD potential January MF transfers using the highly scientific method of using Football Manager.

They compared Koke, Herrera, Strootman, Cabaye and Sneijder. Sneijder won out via the prophetic powers of FM.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-transfer-news-wesley-2986734

In their defense its obviously tounge in cheek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Can someone throw me a few names to follow on twitter with regards to transfer rumours and news please

@indykaila
    @GuillemBalague
    @tancredipalmeri

I trust them 100%.

(But seriously, I don't think there's anyone worth following on Twitter for transfer stuff.)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement