Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Rooney under Fergie was not a happy Rooney. Fergie messed him about a bit but even then he fought to keep him as he knows the quality Rooney has.

Under Moyes I think Rooney is happy and deep down I think he always wanted to stay at UTD but clashed with Fergie and life was difficult and Rooney made some silly decisions because of it. We should do everything thing we can to keep him. He is one of the best players in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Rooney should be given the Captaincy, if he signs a new contract. I think it would be a bold move by Moyes, especially with Vidic in and out the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

yes, i think i posted back here around late April, that Rooney did not want to leave the club and nothing has changed my mind since. ive posted this before, but to be clear, here is my taking on the entire saga, from what ive been told/read.
    • Rooney loss of form and is dropped - blames it on partly on playing out of position.
    • says to Fergie if he doesnt get back in the team or back in his best position, he may have to leave.
    • Fergie blows it out of proportion and goes to the media saying he asked to leave.
    • Rooney now not happy, Rooney feels be is being forced out by Ferguson and their relationship is completely strained.
    • Fergie retires, but still has big influence at the club - causes more issues.
    • This big signing that we were supposedly signing (well reported and confirmed by Phelan) may have needed the sale of Rooney to finance it (wages particularly and of course transfer fee) and could perhaps have added to the strain on Rooney.
    • other clubs such as Chelsea get wind of this but Rooney never expresses an interest in leaving - he puts his head down, trains hard and gets on it.
    • Rooney would only have left the club, if the club had forced the sale on d him and once Moyes came on board, this was never happening (simple common sense).
    • Rooney happy, but now wants a new contract - up to the club to show how much they want him...over to them now.
    remember, that his agent is an absolute prat...that doesnt help but i think the main issue here was caused by Ferguson.

the end outcome here should be that Rooney will sign a new contract, unless something dramatically changes but i cant see that happening.

now, you can believe my chain of events or not, but as far as i am concerned its as close to the truth as you are going to get anywhere!

That's a very plausible chain of events, in fairness.
    He should be happy to stay on the same money that he is curently in that case. If he gets an increased contract it will be suss in my opinion.
    If the objective was money, I wouldn't be at all happy with how they went about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

lordgoat wrote: »
    One month to get Janz signed. If he's not on a contract by the end of December is expect him to be leaving.

Slowpoke.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Keno wrote: »
    Slowpoke.gif

Turns out the 2 weeks in NYC addled my brain. Glad to find this out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What's the story with Anderson at all. It;s weeks like this where we need him to come in and do a job against the likes of Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Nuts102 wrote: »
    What's the story with Anderson at all. It;s weeks like this where we need him to come in and do a job against the likes of Cardiff.

last time he played he didnt cover himself in glory. falling over the ball just as he was about to be subbed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

One month to get Janz signed. If he's not on a contract by the end of December is expect him to be leaving.
    Turns out the 2 weeks in NYC addled my brain. Glad to find this out!

Not a clue. Not a ****ing clue. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

magnumbud wrote: »
    last time he played he didnt cover himself in glory. falling over the ball just as he was about to be subbed

I'd love Powell to come back, take over that role in the squad as the guy who needs to do a job, and shift Ando out to somewhere for 6m or so.

Then again Powell is doing well at Wigan would it be in our benefit to bring him back?

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    I'd love Powell to come back, take over that role in the squad as the guy who needs to do a job, and shift Ando out to somewhere for 6m or so.

Then again Powell is doing well at Wigan would it be in our benefit to bring him back?

Powell will benefit more from staying on loan. Just look at Zaha can't get a sniff besides the form of our wingers. Moyes has really wasted half a season of progress for him should have sent him on loan in the summer if he wasn't going to give him a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

[*]says to Fergie if he doesnt get back in the team or back in his best position, he may have to leave.

Lets just look at this one here, this demand.

Rooney had previously handed in a transfer request (I'm sure thats not in doubt is it?). His form was nowhere near what it should have been and his fitness was in question. So he walks into Alex Fergusons office and says that if he doesn't play him up front he might have to leave?

And people wonder why Fergie decided to call his bluff?

Did Rooney write a letter formally asking to leave? No, probably not. But he did try to hold the club to ransom, not for the first time and probably not for the last time either. Frankly he can toddle on wherever he wants as far as I am concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

• Rooney loss of form and is dropped - blames it on partly on playing out of position -
      Nothing to do with the fact that he just wasn't playing great
    • says to Fergie if he doesnt get back in the team or back in his best position, he may have to leave -
      Tells Fergie he wants to leave but stops short of official transfer request
    • Fergie blows it out of proportion and goes to the media saying he asked to leave -
      Fergie tells media he asked to leave
    • Rooney now not happy, Rooney feels be is being forced out by Ferguson and their relationship is completely strained -
      Rooney wasn't happy anyway, relationship strained further by this stage
    • Fergie retires, but still has big influence at the club - causes more issues.
      Yeah, i'll give you that one.
    • This big signing that we were supposedly signing (well reported and confirmed by Phelan) may have needed the sale of Rooney to finance it (wages particularly and of course transfer fee) and could perhaps have added to the strain on Rooney -
      Nah, we bid a record amount for Bale apparently so that holds no water at all
    • other clubs such as Chelsea get wind of this but Rooney never expresses an interest in leaving - he puts his head down, trains hard and gets on it -
      He doesn't say he wants to leave, he gets his agent to do all of his work for him, planting "poor Rooney" stories in the the Mirror and other rags
    • Rooney would only have left the club, if the club had forced the sale on d him and once Moyes came on board, this was never happening (simple common sense) -
      Rooney really wanted to leave the club and go to Chelsea, we didn't oblige because we didn't want to strengthen a rival
    • Rooney happy, but now wants a new contract - up to the club to show how much they want him...over to them now -
      Rooney appears happy, gets annoyed when asked about wanting to leave, still won't say in public that he wants to stay

Rooney's own words
    "I'm sure the club made that clear," Rooney said. "Obviously there's been a lot of stuff happening and everyone has been waiting for me to say something, but I've spoken to the people who matter at the club and we've known ourselves what was going on.

"I didn't want to come out saying anything. I just wanted to concentrate on my football. That's what I've done and that's what I'll continue to do. I'm not going to go around saying: 'I wanted to stay' or 'I wanted to leave'. I'll concentrate on my football and see what happens after that."

To the direct question of whether he would like to stay at United, Rooney was happy to answer, but only to a point. "You can see I'm playing and I'm happy in my football. I'll have more discussions with the club and we'll see what happens from there." That was as far as Rooney would go on the subject of a new contract, with his present deal expiring at the end of next season.

Or in brief, wanted to leave, move didn't happen, didn't get bad reaction from fans, happy to stay now... maybe.... if we give him more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Did Rooney write a letter formally asking to leave? No, probably not. But he did try to hold the club to ransom, not for the first time and probably not for the last time either. Frankly he can toddle on wherever he wants as far as I am concerned.

fergie should have kept his mouth shut and kept the conversation between themselves.

Lets just look at this one here, this demand.

Rooney had previously handed in a transfer request (I'm sure thats not in doubt is it?). His form was nowhere near what it should have been and his fitness was in question. So he walks into Alex Fergusons office and says that if he doesn't play him up front he might have to leave?

Rooney had 10 goals and 12 assists and was vital in the first half of the season. For some unknown reason he was pushed to the wing despite being in brilliant form. He is not a winger and his form dropped hugely when pushed out wide. Moving him out wide was bizzare enough. Who can blame Rooney for being upset.

Lets look at it plays up top scores 25 league goals.
    Buy Van Persie move him behind him no complaints 10 goals and 12 assists.
    Move him to the wing where he is hopeless.

I don't blame Rooney at all. Fergie messed around with him for whatever reason at all. People look back on last season talking about he was poor. He was brilliant in the first half of the season until he was moved to a position he is just not good at. I just think for whatever reason Fergie wanted to mess around with him. Would it be possible he knew it was his final season and he wanted to get back at Rooney for the transfer request? I don't know but my view is Rooney done little wrong last season.

He stayed quiet all summer, worked hard came back in great shape and has performed very well. I hope for one he signs a new contract and finishes his career at United. Considering how he has rarely been the main striker at the club his goal tally is phenomenal he is a genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Powell will benefit more from staying on loan. Just look at Zaha can't get a sniff besides the form of our wingers. Moyes has really wasted half a season of progress for him should have sent him on loan in the summer if he wasn't going to give him a chance.

Moyes has said the reason for keeping Zaha at the club was to get him used the the set-up at United, training etc. before putting him out for a loan in January.

• Advertisement

Rooney was not in good shape last season though, even with the goals and assists, he looked well off the pace. This is the reason he was in and out of the team.

His performance against Swansea Away just before Christmas was possibly the worst by an established player at United I have ever witnessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

bullvine wrote: »
    Rooney was not in good shape last season though, even with the goals and assists, he looked well off the pace. This is the reason he was in and out of the team.

His performance against Swansea Away just before Christmas was possibly the worst by an established player at United I have ever witnessed.

Unfit players don't win you games. Rooney won us games. He more often that not covered every blade of grass on the pitch when he plays. He was off the pace after coming back from injury but people make it out as if he's struggling to get round the pitch. Says something about the opposition defenders though, if Rooney is well off the pace and still scoring goals, making assists and getting MoTM.

Secondly, you musn't have witnessed many off days from our established players; I can think of about 10 off the top of my head that were worse than Rooney.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    [/B]

Unfit players don't win you games. Rooney won us games. He more often that not covered every blade of grass on the pitch when he plays. He was off the pace after coming back from injury but people make it out as if he's struggling to get round the pitch. Says something about the opposition defenders though, if Rooney is well off the pace and still scoring goals, making assists and getting MoTM.

Secondly, you musn't have witnessed many off days from our established players; I can think of about 10 off the top of my head that were worse than Rooney.

Really! He was about a stone over weight when he played against Everton on the opening day of the season. If unfit players don't win games, then how come the likes of Brazilian Ronaldo, Le Tissier, Mcgrath etc all in terrible shape at certain stages could still be brilliant on their day. Do you remember Jan Molby? even John Barnes in his later years, not exactly supreme athletes but could still be brilliant.

As for the game I talked about, do you remember it? He could barely control the ball he was so bad, as far as I recall he apologized afterwards for being so bad.

Hes a different player this year, Fergie said it himself in that interview around when the book was released.

fergie should have kept his mouth shut and kept the conversation between themselves.

Rooney should have kept his mouth shut and worked harder to make himself undroppable.

Rooney should have kept his mouth shut and worked harder to make himself undroppable.
    ...if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid

XoXo hope ur ok hun.

But srsly Rooney isn't a winger. He can't make himself undroppable in a position he isn't familiar with. I guarantee the people saying Rooney should just accept being played out of position did NOT hold the same opinion RE: Scholes treatment by the FA on England duty. Rather they would suggest it was a waste of Scholes talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

bullvine wrote: »
    Really! He was about a stone over weight when he played against Everton on the opening day of the season. If unfit players don't win games, then how come the likes of Brazilian Ronaldo, Le Tissier, Mcgrath etc all in terrible shape at certain stages could still be brilliant on their day. Do you remember Jan Molby? even John Barnes in his later years, not exactly supreme athletes but could still be brilliant.

As for the game I talked about, do you remember it? He could barely control the ball he was so bad, as far as I recall he apologized afterwards for being so bad.

Hes a different player this year, Fergie said it himself in that interview around when the book was released.

He was pretty awful v swansea that day. He looked like a fella who had forgotten how to play football. But in fairness when players look awful like that u never what personal stuff is going on in background. Being judged by the highest standards every time they play isnt easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rooney was still scoring and assisting from the wing. His general play was poor no matter where he played but he still had the lethal touch. He was still providing goals and assists from the wing while we had a top class new No.10 who needed games to adapt. He should have played his way back into form and kept his mouth shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Liam O wrote: »
    He should have played his way back into form and kept his mouth shut.

errm, thats exactly what he done so your "point" is completely redundant.

He didn't play himself back into form. He got a new manager who was prepared to give him what he wanted so he got back playing up front. He has played well enough since, but you have cause and effect mixed up backwards.

XoXo hope ur ok hun.

But srsly Rooney isn't a winger. He can't make himself undroppable in a position he isn't familiar with. I guarantee the people saying Rooney should just accept being played out of position did NOT hold the same opinion RE: Scholes treatment by the FA on England duty. Rather they would suggest it was a waste of Scholes talent.

Cute, but you missed the point completely.

Firstly, Rooney wasn't being stuck out on the wing every game, thats not true so thats not what I was talking about. But more importantly, even if he was on the wing and unhappy he should have worked harder to prove to Fergie that he was undropable. Instead he sulked, and that was shown in some of his rubbish performances.

Fact is, when Rooney was dropped against Madrid it was the right decision. A Rooney working hard and on form would never have been dropped no matter what was happening off the field, he had nobody to blame but himself.

Cute, but you missed the point completely.

Firstly, Rooney wasn't being stuck out on the wing every game, thats not true so thats not what I was talking about. But more importantly, even if he was on the wing and unhappy he should have worked harder to prove to Fergie that he was undropable. Instead he sulked, and that was shown in some of his rubbish performances.

Fact is, when Rooney was dropped against Madrid it was the right decision. A Rooney working hard and on form would never have been dropped no matter what was happening off the field, he had nobody to blame but himself.

Rooney was still churning out MotM performances when he was shoehorned into CM and he was vocal about his disdain for playing there. To suggest Rooney doesnt give his all is false. He may have off days like any players but he puts in more effort than most players most of the time. Fact is players like Welbeck and Kagawa play out of position and people whinge that they are only ineffective because they are out of position and they deserve to be judged on their performances in their favoured position. When Rooney gets played out of position and plays poorly its used as another stick to beat him with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Oh good one, wouldn't be one of your posts without some derision of the other person's opinion.

His general play is still the same. He's still doing OK with his final ball but his touch and passing are still quite sloppy and behind what Kagawa would offer in that position imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Liam O wrote: »
    Oh good one, wouldn't be one of your posts without some derision of the other person's opinion.

His general play is still the same. He's still doing OK with his final ball but his touch and passing are still quite sloppy and behind what Kagawa would offer in that position imo.

Rooney is the only reason united are still in the title hunt, hes been excellent this season. Anyone wanting Rooney out and putting Kagawa in the team ahead of him simply doesn't have Uniteds best interests at heart, Kagawa *may* have a better eye for a through ball but Rooney's overall game is far far superior, I'd even go to say he single handedly gets results for United. Kagawa has proven nothing in a united shirt to say he should start ahead of Rooney, overall he has been poor and lightweight in a physical league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

[/B]

Unfit players dont win you games...? Tell that to matt le tiss :P

nuxxx wrote: »
    Rooney is the only reason united are still in the title hunt, hes been excellent this season. Anyone wanting Rooney out and putting Kagawa in the team ahead of him simply doesn't have Uniteds best interests at heart, Kagawa *may* have a better eye for a through ball but Rooney's overall game is far far superior, I'd even go to say he single handedly gets results for United. Kagawa has proven nothing in a united shirt to say he should start ahead of Rooney, overall he has been poor and lightweight in a physical league

Rooney doesnt involve other players enough in the game to be properly effective where he is being played. Put kags in behind him for a few games and you'll see what they can both do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Rooney doesnt involve other players enough in the game to be properly effective where he is being played. Put kags in behind him for a few games and you'll see what they can both do.

I'd love to see Kagawa get a run there but can't see RVP being dropped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I'd like to see Kag more through the middle linkin up wit Rooney too. Can Kag play more a cm role dya think? I wouldn't mind it being tried out but with most games being so important it's hard to experiment.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

mewe wrote: »
    I'd like to see Kag more through the middle linkin up wit Rooney too. Can Kag play more a cm role dya think? I wouldn't mind it being tried out but with most games being so important it's hard to experiment.

Do you mean with Roo and RVP up top or drop RVP? It all comes back to needing a midfield capable of allowing that front 3 to play in that order and i'm not sure if we have it at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Kagawa behind RVP and Rooney would lead to very sexy football but we just haven't the personnel in midfield and more so I don't think Moyes will move away from wide players any time soon for it to happen.

mewe wrote: »

Id just rotate the 4 lads. Unless we change formation I dont see us gettin 3 central attackers on the pitch.

nuxxx wrote: »
    I'd love to see Kagawa get a run there but can't see RVP being dropped

Dude don't hate, rotate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Do you mean with Roo and RVP up top or drop RVP? It all comes back to needing a midfield capable of allowing that front 3 to play in that order and i'm not sure if we have it at the moment.

Well i know traditionally the No.10 is his best role but i was thinkin if he could adapt to play a little deeper. Tbh i'm clutchin at straws really tryin of a way to fit Shinji in playin through the middle with Rooney and RVP ahead of him.

It's a shame we've an abundance of quality in certain areas and are so lacking in others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

now, you can believe my chain of events or not, but as far as i am concerned its as close to the truth as you are going to get anywhere!

What are you basing that on? have you heard that is the way it happened from anyone?

I don't think Rooney wanted out in March, and the events with Fergie that followed are what kicked off the 'Rooney wants to leave' stories, but I have no doubt at all that Rooney DID want to leave from April, right the way through the summer. the reasons are issues on both sides, but I would say it is absolute fact that he did want to leave - a good part of that was financial issues his agent was facing so the commision he would have 'earned' was wanted/needed. But, Rooney is a grown man, and could have told his agent he didn't want to leave - and as such United wouldn't have had to spend as much time as they did getting him to stay.

If Rooney didn't want to leave, getting him to stay would not have been so difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

do people rate RVP ahead of Rooney in the lone striker position?

• Advertisement

If Rooney didn't want to leave, getting him to stay would not have been so difficult.

If it was just a problem with Ferguson then the day after Fergie retired Rooney could easily have been in the paper saying "Don't know what all these rumors are about, I don't want to leave, sure don't I love it here!".

He didn't do that though, did he? And fact is he still hasn't.

If it was just a problem with Ferguson then the day after Fergie retired Rooney could easily have been in the paper saying "Don't know what all these rumors are about, I don't want to leave, sure don't I love it here!".

Homer says he has.

I disagree with Homer on that point.

But Homer reckons Rooney has rubbished the stories that he wanted to leave in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

jambofc wrote: »
    Yes. His linkup play is the major difference between them.

jambofc wrote: »

I do - I think RVP has better close control and I'd trust RVP with a chance before Rooney.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/352048/REVEALED-Man-Utd-ready-to-sign-Ever-Banega-for-20m-amid-interest-from-Arsenal-and-Spurs

Don't know if it was already posted.

Star reporting we are 'poised' to sign Banega in the summer, for 20million.

I would doubt the story is true - can't imagine us being poised to make deals for the summer window. Too much can happen in the time between now and then. I would imagine we are interested in him though - Moyes tried to sign him a few times for Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I would pretty happy with Banega, once he keeps a straight head, he'll drastically improve our cm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Dead right Bucketybuck. It was plain to see that Rooney wanted out in the summer and he still hasnt said he wants to stay.

Most players dont get away with looking to leave the club once. He has done it twice and will do it again if he doesnt get his way. It wouldnt bother a lot of fans if he was sold. Bigger and better players have left and we have survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Can anyone tell me how many Man Utd. players will feature in the country squads of the 2014 World Cup and which country they will represent.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

2 threads ago i reckoned Banega was perfect for United, hes the perfect filthy dirty bastard that can play that they need.

was only 6 million then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Anyone else seen this? Sounds mental altogether

Manchester United could have the most futuristic stadium the world has seen – with a village on the roof.

Architects-plans-for-Old-Trafford-2840033.jpg

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-could-improve-old-2839735

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement