Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

adox wrote: »
    Hope he's a manager. :pac:

I proper laughed out loud at that. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

I hate the 'we don't sack managers' line...of course you don't when you've SFA in charge for 26 successful (more or less) years and it's all a lot of fans have known. No team would.

United have and do sack managers when necessary.

The game has changed a huge amount since those days too - money, sponsorship etc. Also, with social media the game and its mangers and players are under even more pressure and constant scrutiny.

United's stock has devalued. Players like De Rossi - who's the exact type of player United need right now- are saying he's delighted NOT to have joined United. And again, Moyes will have to assume responsibility for not being able to attract quality players.

So in essence, IF Moyes is sacked (I'm not saying now) it will be based on his record at United then it would appear to be the correct decision.

Of course he could go on to be successful, but nobody has a crystal ball so....what can you do? Wait and see how bad it gets potentially or get someone proven at that level in?

I'd still give him until Christmas, if the team hasn't improved. He should go.

United's squad isn't great, but Jaysus we're not this bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

ricero wrote: »
    Moyes is defacating all over the history and traditions of manchester united. The former greats such as busby must be doing sommersaults in their graves

FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Regarding this, you could hear Moyes alot from the touchline today, especially in the last few minutes, remember hearing him calling "Come on Danny, come to it" and a few cries of "c'mon" to Kagawa and Welbeck again, neither even seemed to even take any notice of him, its just hard to get the sense that the players believe in him.

But even if they don't, why are they playing the way they are? constantly focus on wing play, giving the ball to wingers who can't put in a cross and/or are not wingers/fullbacks. There was not such focus on this with Ferguson in charge so if the players don't believe in Moyes, surely they'd have a "fúck this" attitude and play the way they want to.

Morale must be crazy low aswell as confidence obviously but there was just no fight or passion from anyone out there today.

That's what i was suggesting.
    Under Fergie if United were lack lustre he would give them a tongue lashing at first opportunity. These lads today looked so casual and played like it was a pre-season friendly. No urgency even at the end.
    To be perfectly honest I think the players want rid of Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

No excuse. Did Fletch go lunging around when he came back? Plenty of players have come back from long periods out of a team and never got a red, let alone lasted only 4 mins. Gave the ball away twice too. He looked like he didn't give a fook tbh.

His enthusiasm in his first 2 challenges actually lifted the crowd who were very quite towards the end of the game.

Again you cant blame him for trying to get stuck in, he's out of contact in the summer and hasnt been in Moyes sides, completely different situation to Fletch and you know that tbh.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    What? Fabio was hardly seen until his tackle. I've been pro-Fabio but jesus, that was a dumb thing for him to do. There is NO excuse for a stupid tackle like that.

He got stuck in straight away not sure what you were watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The question also has to be asked.

There are a lot of useless players at United right now, but there are also some good quality players who are not performing.

Does Moyes have the support of that dressing room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,114 ✭✭✭✭listermint

J. Marston wrote: »
    Don't think it will. The Glazers aren't going to let Moyes blow money when he won't be here in 6 months.

Ever think the problem here is the glaziers..... Ferguson covering up for them for years.

This rot set in as soon as Ferguson allowed his personal business transactions enter the club the sale to them and subsequent penny pinching with such continued lines as there is no value in the market has ended up with utter. Dross on the field.

But as I said during the summer the next manager will be the blame guy and here it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Not going to attract the top players if we don't make Europe, which United are in real danger of doing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

beno619 wrote: »

Exactly. And he was brain dead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Don't think it will. The Glazers aren't going to let Moyes blow money when he won't be here in 6 months.
    If Ferguson and Charlton remain on the board then he will be manager until Christmas next year - I guarantee you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

There are a lot of useless players at United right now, but there are also some good quality players who are not performing.

I don't think he has the full support of the dressing room and hasn't had for some weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Cleverly is the link between midfield and attack but instead of growing a pair and impose himself he just offloads it sideways and runs off to where he can't receive it. I honestly can't think of one moment when he ran forward and beat a man, not just today but all season. If Keane was still around he wouldn't get away with it. His passes slow the entire tempo and allows teams to regroup. How many counter attacks has there been with him playing. He is a major major reason for the team being so poor and more suited to Wigan, yet hes starting for one of worlds biggest teams in perhaps the most influential position. He's a coward and even Ando should start ahead of him.

Rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

listermint wrote: »
    Ever think the problem here is the glaziers..... Ferguson covering up for them for years.

This rot set in as soon as Ferguson allowed his personal business transactions enter the club the sale to them and subsequent penny pinching with such continued lines as there is no value in the market has ended up with utter. Dross on the field.

But as I said during the summer the next manager will be the blame guy and here it is.

They gave Ferguson enough money tbf, but if you go and spend so much on the likes of Young, Valencia, Anderson, Jones, Smalling etc, maybe you're just sh1t at buying players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Not going to attract the top players if we don't make Europe, which United are in real danger of doing

Good players might want out too for the same reason unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Murphy's Law really has Utd in a vice like grip this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think half of United's problems are that none of the players they have signed over the last few years have improved to any real extent or lived up to their promise. The likes of Nani, Fabio, Rafaelle, Anderson, Young etc are at the same level they were at when they signed.

Apart form Adnan and maybe Rooney nobody is playing for David Moyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Wouldnt agree with that, he was flying around, it was very clear he was trying to prove a point. It boiled over, shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

titan18 wrote: »
    They gave Ferguson enough money tbf, but if you go and spend so much on the likes of Young, Valencia, Anderson, Jones, Smalling etc, maybe you're just sh1t at buying players

Jones and Smalling in that group surely not?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

BdPcin0CIAAJbG4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

yesidokent.jpg

Murphy's Law really has Utd in a vice like grip this season.
    Yeah I have never seen the likes of it - Moyes/Man Utd just aren't getting any rub of the green at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

His enthusiasm in his first 2 challenges actually lifted the crowd who were very quite towards the end of the game.

Again you cant blame him for trying to get stuck in, he's out of contact in the summer and hasnt been in Moyes sides, completely different situation to Fletch and you know that tbh.

Still no excuse, there is no case to be made for Fabio. What he made two good tackles so we forgive him for getting sent off? He was out of the team, not his fault? His contract is running down so he shouldn't be careful. None of those points are valid, kind of laughable actually.

He should have been wanting to impress more because of all of the above. He should have been professional, he was not he was wreckless and stupid and deserved the red he got.

He was on for less than 5 mins ffs, he royal screwed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

irishfeen wrote: »
    If Ferguson and Charlton remain on the board then he will be manager until Christmas next year - I guarantee you that.

Well, they should be gotten rid of. We don't need dinosaurs on the board. Apparently one of the big reasons Mourinho wasn't considered is because Bobby Charlton didn't like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What did he have? 2 tackles? One ends in a red card.
    He had nothing positive to contribute.
    Nani wouldn't get himself sent off that stupidly. If that might mean that he doesn't throw himself in to tackles like a mad man, then that's okay with me.

Jones and Smalling can go to the top, Anderson has been unlucky with injury.

Young and Valencia have contributed to recent success, Valencia in particular is disappointing.

He should have been wanting to impress more because of all of the above. He should have been professional, he was not he was wreckless and stupid and deserved the red he got.

He was on for less than 5 mins ffs, he royal screwed up.

Oh definitely, I just wouldn't chastise a player for trying to show his worth. Considering so many others don't seem to give a crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I think half of United's problems are that none of the players they have signed over the last few years have improved to any real extent or lived up to their promise. The likes of Nani, Fabio, Rafaelle, Anderson, Young etc are at the same level they were at when they signed.

Are you serious?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

If I could just push my way through all these Liverpool fans to say...

I think we're in great hands, the future is rosy at Manchester United.

comical-ali.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Jones and Smalling in that group surely not?

Maybe not Smalling, I don't know how much his transfer finally cost, but Jones was like 16/17m, and he's not worth that when you look at the players who were transferred around that price that summer.

I mean Jones went for more than Vidal, Inler, Sahin. Arsenal signed Arteta and Mertesacker for only a few million more. Chelsea got Mata for 23, we signed Jones and Young for 33.

Fair enough he was young and promising, but that was stupid money. I mean Varane (who I think we were linked with at the time) went for 8m.

Well, they should be gotten rid of. We don't need dinosaurs on the board. Apparently one of the big reasons Mourinho wasn't considered is because Bobby Charlton didn't like him.
    It depends what way you want to see the structure of the club going into the future - I'd very much prefer to see them there to keep the club on a steady course into the future but I do understand where you are coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

show some respect for the two of them they love the club inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Fabio looked terrible for QPR, really not the answer to Uniteds left back problem imo. Its a position that needs looking at this month or else teams are just going to target Evra for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Made me laugh so hard! Still laughing while typing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Isn't there 5 Glazer's on the board? So anything Fergie and Bobby do doesn't matter really if the family make a decision .

Tbh I thought we did okay in the first half, at times we looked to attack through the middle which was a welcome sight. Hernandez is an amazing instinctive finisher but he's just bad at playing up front on his own, we'll pull off a serious coup if we sell him for big money to a team who want him to lead the line.

Fergie let the rot sink in and Moyes inherited the team, there's not much point blaming Moyes for the team we have at this point. How was he to know in the summer it was this bad and he added Fellaini to it. That said there's no excuse for him not to buy in January now, we haven't a hope of getting top 4 at this point and we only will if we get players in.

The only reason the fans are still behind him as we are still not far off in the league and in the CL, League Cup and FA Cup. We're out of one cup now and with the team still playing shít with over half a season gone, people are going to start getting on his back big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Made me laugh so hard! Still laughing while typing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If I could just push my way through all these Liverpool fans to say...

I think we're in great hands, the future is rosy at Manchester United.

comical-ali.jpg

An unfortunate side-effect of all this crappyness, now years of piss-taking is going to come back and bite us in the ass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Maybe not Smalling, I don't know how much his transfer finally cost, but Jones was like 16/17m, and he's not worth that when you look at the players who were transferred around that price that summer.

Oh no if i was picking one player from this United team atm that can hold his head high it'd be Jones, If all players had the same heart as him we might not be where we are, Playing out of position too future United captain if you ask me

• Advertisement

Oh definitely, I just wouldn't chastise a player for trying to show his worth. Considering so many others don't seem to give a crap.

Kid loaned out from the club he says he loves , and watching his brother do really well for the first team.

Gets called back from loan and has instant opportunity to prove his worth to new manager and hopefully kick on.

Can hardly blame the kid for being over hyped a bit. He will learn more from that red card more than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

An unfortunate side-effect of all this crappyness, now years of piss-taking is going to come back and bite us in the ass!
    Ah sure we can call them obsessed now and maybe even throw a hashtag on it if you're feeling extra cheeky :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Kid loaned out from the club he says he loves , and watching his brother do really well for the first team.

Gets called back from loan and has instant opportunity to prove his worth to new manager and hopefully kick on.

Can hardly blame the kid for being over hyped a bit. He will learn more from that red card more than anything.

He wasn't on loan this season

magnumbud wrote: »
    show some respect for the two of them they love the club inside.
    Totally agree with you lad but I suppose you also have to look at the other side of the coin and ask whether they might wield too much power ... As I said I prefer to see them involved because they are Man Utd but you could see where problems could possibly arise.

He's been are best midfielder and he's a defender, he's a top footballer, stop trolling.

DM-ICE wrote: »

My mistake ..point still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Moyes has been far from impressive but in his defence circumstances have definitely conspired against him. Aside from the teams performance, we have got absolutely nothing from referees. A lot of refs who hadnt the balls to give a decision against SAF are now having a field day and trying to be a big brave boy by giving decisions against us. Every 50/50 decision seems to be going against us . Lloris foot was raised a lot higher on wednesday than Fabios was today for example.

He has had a lot of injuries but in my opinion a lot of the injuries have been his fault due to overtraining and poor training methods. Groin strains, hamstrings etc are caused by prehistoric training. Moyes had similar injury woes with Everton aswell. Our slow, lethargic play is a result of this heavy training.

The dogs on the street could see we needed to invest in certain areas of the team yet the summer window passed with only Fellaini coming in. Unforgiveable. If the money wasnt there then he shouldnt have taken the job. I feel the owners got a manager who would be happy to be there and wouldnt rock the boat. In fairness, his transfers should be judged on what happens this month because if it passes without anyone arriving then he deserves to be sacked.

Most worryingly the Rooney situation has been left hanging . Rooney should have been signed up last summer and the whole saga could have been put to bed. As it stands Rooney will probably leave in the summer.

Team selection is another issue. Valencia, Evra, CLeverley all have been inept this year yet they start almost every game. Smalling is not a RB yet he is picked there more often than at CB. Kagawa wide left doesnt work but he is still picked there. If you keep making the same mistake and expect a different result then you really are one stupid individual

Its depressing to watch and although Ferguson got time at the beginning, he inherited a club that was on the floor. Our fall this season is unforgiveable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

What did Moyes say after the match?

DM-ICE wrote: »

Things are bad when I agree with the City fan :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

What a disaster.

I'm pretty sure if I was Fergie I'd be chomping at the bit to admit I was wrong to recommend Moyes and re-prove how good I am by taking over again for the rest of the season and ensuring Champions League qualification.

I don't see it happening, and it's a damn shame because if we stick with Moyes we'll be languishing as outside contenders for the top 4.

Surely the Glazers as businessmen won't stand for it...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement