Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

Devil08 wrote: »
    What sickens me more is the attitude of a lot of the fans...
    Have a think about what that word UNITED means. I know what it means to me

Quite.

As an Arsenal fan I hope Moyes hangs around a while longer to be perfectly honest. That some can be so blind to think it's worth having a manager out his depth just so the club isn't laughed at (wut?) for sacking him is pretty funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Your right. Far better we stick our heads in the sand and pretend everything will come good if we believe...

Nope, critique all you want, discuss ways to make things better and improve all you want. Start calling for a managers head after 6 months and I would draw the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The cheek of those match goers showing support for a manager that the average internet bampot gave up on long ago

It's one of the most cringy things iv ever seen in a old Trafford

You can dress a pig up but at the end of the day it's still a pig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Your right. Far better we stick our heads in the sand and pretend everything will come good if we believe...

Well your head is further in the sand than you think. People are paying too much attention to 7th in the league. It's the closest top 10 probably ever. If we were 7th this time last year we would probably be 20 points off top. We are 5 off liverpool who are pissingg their pants with excitement thinking we are in crisis. 5 points behind the arsse holes!!

Quite.

As an Arsenal fan I hope Moyes hangs around a while longer to be perfectly honest. That some can be so blind to think it's worth having a manager out his depth just so the club isn't laughed at (wut?) for sacking him is pretty funny.

Who uses that as an excuse?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

kryogen wrote: »
    Nope, critique all you want, discuss ways to make things better and improve all you want. Start calling for a managers head after 6 months and I would draw the line

And if I believe that our main problem, that the main way to make things better and improve, is to call for the managers head?

EDIT: Something I do feel is that if you tell anyone "No matter how bad you are at your job, you won't get the sack", then they have no real motivation to succeed. Moyes should be feeling the presure of the sword over his head right now...

Who uses that as an excuse?

Have you read the thread at all? "We're not Chelsea", "What the club stands for" etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

What sickens me more is the attitude of a lot of the fans who have shat on the values of the club and want Moyes out already.
    Lots of clubs have united in the name, but when someone says he support united everyone knows which united they mean.
    Have a think about what that word UNITED means. I know what it means to me

See this is all wrong. What you are doing is supporting one man. Even if that man is going to run the club into the ground. (Football wise).
    People who want him out are worried for the club. Thats where your loyalty should be. Not with a man who by all signs is not the best man for the job.

I want Moyes to succeed but there is less and less chance of that happening every day. Liverpool fans did the same for Hodgson and look where they are now. I bet no one who stood by Hodgson is regretting his sacking.

And if I believe that our main problem, that the main way to make things better and improve, is to call for the managers head?

As I said, calling for it after 6 months is where I draw the line. I would disagree with you and tell you to support him, see where we finish the season and evaluate there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Devil08 cracks me up. Quite funny

Have you read the thread at all? "We're not Chelsea", "What the club stands for" etc.

Ah right, I remember stuff like that a long time ago, cant say I have noticed any lately, though I am open to correction on that.

Of course, you understand how its easy to tar a large group of fans with the one brush being an Arsenal fan. Who I am gonna guess, was not one of the fans calling for Wengers head a few months ago.

Dont think anyone really believes the only reason not to sack a manager is in case the club looks like the circus' that are Madrid/City/Chelsea

Pretty dumb theory anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Support him all you want

The Chosen One has been cringey ****e since the first day it was put up

Match goers are well capable of making stupid banners you know

It doesn't matter to me whether or not united fans support him. My point is those that do have every right to display the banner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Well your head is further in the sand than you think. People are paying too much attention to 7th in the league. It's the closest top 10 probably ever. If we were 7th this time last year we would probably be 20 points off top. We are 5 off liverpool who are pissingg their pants with excitement thinking we are in crisis. 5 points behind the arsse holes!!

After 20 games last season, 7th (West Brom) were 16 points off the top (United) and 3 points off fourth.

This season United are 11 points off top and 5 from fourth. It's doesn't appear to be that much tighter really.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    It doesn't matter to me whether or not united fans support him. My point is those that do have every right to display the banner

Having every right to display doesnt mean its not the stupidest banner in the stadium

Dont think anyone really believes the only reason not to sack a manager is in case the club looks like the circus' that are Madrid/City/Chelsea

In fairness that does pop up a lot in here. I've regularly read that and wondered how bad it would have to get before that line of thought changed.

• Advertisement

Ah right, I remember stuff like that a long time ago, cant say I have noticed any lately, though I am open to correction on that.
    I pop in here maybe once a week and within a page or 2 it always pops up.
    Of course, you understand how its easy to tar a large group of fans with the one brush being an Arsenal fan. Who I am gonna guess, was not one of the fans calling for Wengers head a few months ago.
    You're obviously very confident of your point about Moyes to deflect to talk about Arsenal instead. I'll humour you though, quick search will show exactly where I stood when it came to Wenger, something had to change. Whether that was him leaving, a change in tactics, change in transfer policy, something. Transfer policy seems to have changed somewhat (Ozil) and tactics have also changed, which I think started last season as the team was set up to be much more defensive and look much less "fancy". Unfortunately I don't see that as being good enough for anything better than 3rd this season and it's still not where I think the club should be aiming for or be happy with.
    Enough say it.
    Certainly is.

Chagan wrote: »
    After 20 games last season, 7th (West Brom) were 16 points off the top (United) and 3 points off fourth.

This season United are 11 points off top and 5 from fourth. It's doesn't appear to be that much tighter really.

Really? 3 points between 4th and 7th this time last year? Didn't think it was that close. Either way, my point is that people are making too much of the league position rather than the points gap. 7th sounds awful but 5 points off 4th doesn't sound half as bad

Whats weird is that people keep saying we are 5 points off 4th but if current form continues it could be 10 by the end of the season. There seems to be this weird certainty that Liverpool will fall apart and United will transform into a good team. Both show no signs of happening.

I think we all would agree Arsenal City and Chelsea are gonna be the top 3. With nothing but the league to focus on I reckon Liverpool will continue to play well and finish the season strong. We would have to improve unbelievably to over take them now in my opinion.

Im still cautiously optimistic that we will finish top 3

;)

Im still cautiously optimistic that we will finish top 3

;)

Ha. You shouldn't drink on a school night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

On Form Liverpool have been 2nd best team in league. Now if Suarez gets injured they might collapse, but once he plays and plays the way he is they will play CL football next season.

I though Arsenal might give back few points during Christmas and Chelsea might dip also, but neither have done that.

Thats more worrying for us.

As for City. Champs in waiting.

Liverpool have looked just as vulnerable as us IMO. The difference is they have Suarez and we have RVP injured. Take Suarez out of their side and they become what we are without RVP. We need him back soon

Suarez was missing for a big chunk at the start and they were fine. They weren't battering teams but they were winning and still playing well. I must admit I've watched them at every chance this season and they play such a style that they will create chances for whoever is on the pitch. Suarez is just an X factor that can help them on their off days when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Liverpool have looked just as vulnerable as us IMO. The difference is they have Suarez and we have RVP injured. Take Suarez out of their side and they become what we are without RVP. We need him back soon

I am neither a Pool or United fan, and would probably lean towards the United side if anything, but Liverpool have played infinitely better football than United and have looked confident while at the same time creating chances, United haven't done either in a lot of games.

Just as vulnerable? Definitely not.

Really? 3 points between 4th and 7th this time last year? Didn't think it was that close. Either way, my point is that people are making too much of the league position rather than the points gap. 7th sounds awful but 5 points off 4th doesn't sound half as bad

While I agree with you that the table in January won't give a reliable prediction of what to expect at the end, it's worth noting that West Brom eventually finished 24 off fourth.

Given our struggle against top half teams this season, something is going to have to be done to get the team going, be it in the market or tactically at least.

While 5 points right now seems possible to overcome, it's just as likely at this moment in time that we will fall further back.

At some stage the teams at the top will have dips in form, it happens every year, it all depends on whether we keep ourselves in a position to take advantage of those dips and how the teams react to it also

Corholio wrote: »
    I am neither a Pool or United fan, and would probably lean towards the United side if anything, but Liverpool have played infinitely better football than United and have looked confident while at the same time creating chances, United haven't done either in a lot of games.

Defensively they have looked vulnerable alright, fantastic going forward though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

ricero wrote: »
    Moyes is defacating all over the history and traditions of manchester united. The former greats such as busby must be doing sommersaults in their graves

Just wanna say as an Arsenal fan that's a ridiculously stupid and ridiculous post. No one man can do that to such a club and it's history and remember he is trying his best and is not doing so intentionally.

You guys are suffering because ye are in transition, a very difficult one. It's not easy given the success ye have had but from an outside perspective it was well signaled once Fergie left. It's not as much as a shock to other team fans as the rest of you. That's not trolling.

The aura is gone and the squad needs rebuilding and investment. Serious amounts. Ferguson got them over the edge cos of his brilliance. United need to rebuild. They need time and patience. People shrewdly observe on here that there is no plan. Out to the wings and no quality crossing, etc. Moyes is not an idiot. He is a quality football manager. He thinks this is the best option because your midfield is not up to it because of the players, injuries and a fear to play Rooney as a midfielder consistently. Give him a chance to fix it.

Look at the team that beat us in OT in November. Ye had Carrick, Jones and Van Persie that day. Totally different United team. Can I ask how many games have United lost this year with Carrick, Jones, Rooney, Van Persie and Rafael or indeed 4/5?

It sickens me to say it but if Liverpool get 4th spot and CL I fully expect them to sign a few good players and push on again. They just have the momentum at the moment. They still can't really compete with Chelsea and City but they look like they may return to their early Rafa Benitez days at the least.

Bet you they find value in the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Liverpool still managed to beat United with RVP without Suarez, and had their best start to a season in 19 years, also without Suarez.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/23830980

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »

Vulnerable i.e can't beat any of the clubs above them (Utd beat Arsenal I know) and have had some shockers against smaller clubs. Hull for example. Liverpool look good at times I agree, yes they have played better football than Utd, but still I wouldn't put money on them picking up a result against anyone!! I think a lot of the lower half sides could turn them over! I wouldn't say that about the top 3

Liverpool still managed to beat United with RVP without Suarez, and had their best start to a season in 19 years, also without Suarez.

Sell him then and take your 50 million. Without him yas would be mid table, face it

tbf that was one of worst United performances of all time. Although some since give run for its money

And just to compound the misery, Sky Sports are showing Premier League years 2003/2004 (Arsenal's unbeaten league season) followed by 2011/2012 (I think QPR lost their last game of the season or something).

I turned it on just in time to see Ruud's penalty miss :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I hate Liverpool but let's be realistic here lads if we didn't have Rooney for the best part of the season we wouldn't be far off the bottom 3 we are that bad IMO.

Moyes has to stop though in post match interviews saying the team has played well , I get it maybe he's trying to build the players confidence but come on stop treating us like idiots.

If we can see it's bad football even when we're winning how come a professional can't ?

Rvp coming back is a bonus and also tbh lads he's no where near Saurez's level eithers Rooney. Saurez is the best player the premiership has seen since ronaldo , they only come around every once and a while.

I personally blame the idiots on here the past few years making excuses for not buying cm's , are you happy now lads ? Or is the tubster Anderson still going to come good :P.

I hate Liverpool but let's be realistic here lads if we didn't have Rooney for the best part of the season we wouldn't be far off the bottom 3 we are that bad IMO.

Moyes has to stop though in post match interviews saying the team has played well , I get it maybe he's trying to build the players confidence but come on stop treating us like idiots.

If we can see it's bad football even when we're winning how come a professional can't ?

Rvp coming back is a bonus and also tbh lads he's no where near Saurez's level eithers Rooney. Saurez is the best player the premiership has seen since ronaldo , they only come around every once and a while.

I personally blame the idiots on here the past few years making excuses for not buying cm's , are you happy now lads ? Or is the tubster Anderson still going to come good :P.

Are you trolling?? I'm off to bed, goodnight all, back tomorrow to listen to more MOYES OUT clowns!!
    Together we stand UNITED we fall!!

Suarez is doing something better then RVP last season, or the season before for that matter?

I'm definitely a Moyes Out If We Don't Make The Champions League Clown. Wouldn't be worthwhile sacking him now. Makes no sense. Otherwise I'm just hoping this season brings some joy. Namely finishing above Liverpool. It's a shallow victory but one I'm afraid I must admit would delight me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Are you trolling?? I'm off to bed, goodnight all, back tomorrow to listen to more MOYES OUT clowns!!
    Together we stand UNITED we fall!!

You've become my favourite poster on this forum. Your quotes make me smile. Never change. Goodnight you Devil you ;)

• Advertisement

Winning the league Cup and getting 4th would feel like winning the treble at this stage.

Things are that bad.

Winning the league Cup and getting 4th would feel like winning the treble at this stage.

Things are that bad.

I'd take that in a heartbeat. Infact just 4th spot would do me fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

4th would be a huge achievement for United at this stage. 5 points off 4th at this stage and the worrying part is that Spurs, Everton and Liverpool all look better than United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sell him then and take your 50 million. Without him yas would be mid table, face it

50 million my behind, lad. gwan outta that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Our Year wrote: »
    50 million my behind, lad. gwan outta that now.

That username..... Love a fan with a sense of humour :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

There's one major change from this time last season. RVP.

He was sensational last season and although alot of the same squad flaws were present, he carried the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

djPSB wrote: »
    There's one major change from this time last season. RVP.

He was sensational last season and although alot of the same squad flaws were present, he carried the team.

You say that as if it's some kind of revelation.

A lot of United supporters have been saying that since early 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

When is he actually due back? seems like he's been out for an age

Might see him on bench for Swansea in league next week I say

on that not just realise we play Swansea again next week!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

at home!!!:(:(:(

This is just pure guessing but I bet RVP will struggle with one injury or another till the Summer. This seems to happen a lot with United players. Niggling injuries ruining players seasons.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement