Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I see few tweets about Rio having pop at Moyes.

I presume its 100% fake? Just checking cause knowing out luck..............

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

a few around these parts will need to get up to speed with Our Year....s fantastic humour.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Agueroooo wrote: »
    a few around these parts will need to get up to speed with Our Year....s fantastic humour.:)
    Why? Is he taking up residency here like yourself?

Why? Is he taking up residency here like yourself?

do you have a problem with me posting in here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

So much fail in so small a space. It's like a tardis of failure.

Excellent analogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

zerks wrote: »
    According to Italian website Tuttosport, United had scouts in attendance for the Juve/Roma game.

The Italian report claims Vidal was their prime target. United have after all been heavily linked with the Chilean midfielder in recent times.

But Vucinic has also regularly been tipped for a switch to Old Trafford, and may be surplus to requirements given the other strikers at Juventus’s disposal.

And then of course there is the Roma pair of De Rossi and Kevin Strootman – the two that got away if previous reports are to be believed.

Vidal would be an excellent signing has everything we need in a CM.I highly doubt he will join but it would be a terrific signing.He signed a contract extension recently until 2017.I don't wages would be a problem afaik Juve don't pay huge wages,I saw it reported he gets 4m to 5m a year which United could easily match/better .What do ye think would be a good fee for him ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Agueroooo wrote: »
    do you have a problem with me posting in here?
    Did I say that?

Did I say that?

good ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

yabadabado wrote: »
    What do ye think would be a good fee for him ?

Well nobody wants to get screwed, but under simple economics the price is simply what something is worth to you.

And a quality midfielder would be worth so much to United. Could be difference between top 4 and not making CL.

As in I wouldn't pay over-the-odds for a goalie, defender or forward as its not necessary.
    But maybe for a midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I think our needs are obviously a lot deeper than a LB & CM. They also extend to a top quality winger and a reserve RB is a must if Fabio is not going to be given a fair chance, which is probably unlikely now. The only reason he was sent off yesterday is that he was so enthusiastic/rash because he doesn't get many opportunities to impress.

When you look back at the games we've lost, there is as much ropey defending on the right without Rafael (Valencia at clearly fault for the winning goals against Spurs, Everton. Smalling is clearly not a RB, nor is Jones) as the left from Evra's halfhearted efforts to get back into position and actually stop crosses/track runners when he is back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

v3ttel wrote: »
    I think our needs are obviously a lot deeper than a LB & CM. They also extend to a top quality winger and a reserve RB is a must if Fabio is not going to be given a fair chance, which is probably unlikely now. The only reason he was sent off yesterday is that he was so enthusiastic/rash because he doesn't get many opportunities to impress.

When you look back at the games we've lost, there is as much ropey defending on the right without Rafael (Valencia at clearly fault for the winning goals against Spurs, Everton. Smalling is clearly not a RB, nor is Jones) as the left from Evra's halfhearted efforts to get back into position and actually stop crosses/track runners when he is back.

I think you're being very generous to Evra by calling his efforts half-hearted. He just does not get back and defend anymore. In fact he couldn't be arsed looking at his body language.
    As they say "don't go forward if you can't get back".

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Andy Mitten wrote good piece on things at minute.

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/manchesterunited/id/3916?cc=5739
    It's a marker of the depth of frustration when you can pick "Manchester" and "United" out of the seats in the Sir Alex Ferguson Stand before the game's finished. When United were last this low in the league in January, those seats hadn't even been installed. The 25,600 triple-decker stand, Britain's biggest, hadn't been built.

In January 1990, the old cantilever stand on the United Road had 10,000 seats at the rear and a seldom-full standing paddock at the front. United's average attendance was 38,806. It's twice that now.

United finished 13th in the league in 1990 and lost five times at home. The consecutive home defeats to Crystal Palace and Tottenham in December 1989 turned up the pressure on the manager and led to open booing of Ferguson and slumping attendances.

United found a saviour in the FA Cup. It meant the world. It saved Ferguson his job after, in the words of one fan banner, "Three Years of Excuses." I spoke to the man who made that infamous banner on Friday. He still goes to matches, as he always has, through thick and thin.

There's been a lot of thick for United fans since 1990, but feelings about the FA Cup never waivered. Though maligned elsewhere, the Cup remains a big deal to United fans. They're proud of winning it more times -- 11 -- than anyone else.

It was the first trophy lifted after the war, the first after Munich and was the only source of major silverware between 1968 and 1991. It was Ferguson's first trophy, Ron Atkinson and Tommy Docherty's only major trophy.

It has always mattered. United had a full house crowd of 74,778 against Crawley Town three years ago, with limited reduced prices. Look at the half-empty stadiums around the country on FA Cup third round weekend as reduced priced tickets failed to make up the difference.

Nottingham Forest's City Ground was half-full for the visit of Premier League West Ham. Despite a huge travelling contingent, Sunderland was less than half-full for Carlisle United's visit. Everton had 32,283, Bolton 11,180 for a Lancashire derby; Aston Villa attracted 24,038, Newcastle United 31,166, Southampton 15,077 and Norwich 21,703.

Even with a smaller than expected Swansea following, United drew 73,190 to Old Trafford. No club in the world enjoys such huge and consistent support for the early rounds of cup games. If Barcelona hit 40,000 for their Copa del Rey game against Getafe on Wednesday they'll be delighted.

David Moyes claimed it surprising that United hadn't won the FA Cup for a decade. He had a chance to right that and win it this season. It would have been acceptable to fans who appreciate he needs to rebuild. But United are out after another home defeat, another poor performance.

Fans aren't happy. Not only the always angry firm who whinged because top-of-the table United only drew with Swansea in the league a year ago. Nor the United fans who want the club to fail because they despise what it has become and think it will lead to the departure of the Glazers and thousands of glory hunters

Now, it's the majority. They're not happy because it's not good enough. They were spoiled under Ferguson and they know it, but the toys haven't been thrown out of the pram. There are no "Moyes Out" chants at matches, no tatty banners.

On the contrary, the new manager has enjoyed support from the minute he was appointed. Fans have sung his name more than that of any player. They want him to succeed and are proud to call themselves supporters because that's what they do -- they support. But they're not daft. They know that seventh in the league is nowhere near good enough.

United fans cut Moyes a lot of slack. The difficult start to the season was allowed for, the change of manager too. They know he has a tough job which will take time.

Support for the team has also been excellent and Old Trafford has been louder than in recent seasons. But the mass exodus exposing the empty seats yesterday was the result of frustration boiling over.

Old Trafford is no longer an indomitable fortress, yet away games have been superb. A Stoke fan told me it was the best away support he'd seen for years. A Norwich fan asked me why United had so many tickets. When I told him that they'd sold their allocation, just as other big clubs like Chelsea had, he replied, in a broad Norfolk accent: "None have been so noisy as them lot."

Five thousand fans will travel to Sunderland tomorrow, a Tuesday night two weeks after Christmas. They'll be so loud, as they were when United went to Sunderland in October after losing successive league games, that those Sunderland supporters who stayed at home on Saturday should wear protective sound mufflers.

In October, United used the game at Sunderland to start a seven game unbeaten league run. Their season looked like it was righting, then United lost twice at home in December. It has been the story of the season. Two steps forward, one back. It's not good enough.

I spoke to a United supporter who's been going to games for 60 years outside Old Trafford last week. He said that Moyes deserved the same time afforded to Ferguson when he arrived in 1986. It's a noble sentiment, but Ferguson inherited a team which needed major surgery at a club whose turnover was significantly lower than Tottenham Hotspur's.

Moyes inherited the champions of England, one of the three biggest clubs in the world containing some of the best-paid players in world football. He also inherited a far bigger club and, by default, job. It's not easy for him. It wouldn't be easy for any one person.

At the start of the season, United We Stand polled fans on where they thought United would finish. Most thought the team wouldn’t retain the league. But were they unreasonable in expecting a top four finish given the talent at the club?

If Barcelona or Real Madrid or Manchester City were seventh, their coach would probably be sacked. If he was a Chelsea manager, he’d be sacked regardless because he’d been at the club longer than nine minutes.

It's a different system at Old Trafford, one which promotes longevity, where managers are encouraged to use youth (and Moyes buys into that). Rather than demands to sack him, Moyes gets his name sung at matches.

Moyes' interaction with fans is almost entirely positive and he appreciates that, just as fans appreciate him turning up at functions and applauding away fans. But the bank of goodwill is not a limitless one and he's judged on performances and results.

Getting hammered in the Manchester derby hurt, losing five at home by January leads fans to ask, not unreasonably, what an earth is going on and when it will get better. Failure to qualify for the Champions League will be a big issue, but he still has time.

Fans know there are many reasons for United's troubles. Again, they want Moyes to get it right. He's only been in the job six months and deserves time to build his team. Before he’d even left Goodison he said that he had a massive job to do at Old Trafford. He's said that consistently since.

And why all the focus on Moyes, the subject of those HD zoom lenses to show up every worry line? Some of his players are training well, yet not performing in games. Others aren't doing it in training either. Moyes has been fair to all; he's given every player a reasonable amount of chances except Wilfried Zaha, Fabio and Anders Lindegaard, but they weren't expected to be regulars.

Though confidence appears to be at rock-bottom on the pitch at Old Trafford, the mood at the AON Carrington training complex remains positive. Moyes and his team might suddenly click into place. It's unlikely, but United might win the league, the Champions League and/or the Capital One cup this season. Just not the FA Cup.

Football is notoriously unpredictable. United appeared doomed in 2005 after finishing 18 points behind Chelsea and being robbed in the FA Cup final against Arsenal. The unwanted Glazer takeover seemed like a further boot in the teeth. United were European champions three years later. Nobody saw that coming in 2005.

There the similarities end. Ferguson had already delivered 16 major trophies by 2005, so he could be allowed three years to reorganise. And as ever there is the cautionary tale of United's long-time rival Liverpool's decline after decades of dominance. Moyes needs to find his feet fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

v3ttel wrote: »

People making excuses for Fab is pathetic tbf. The *only reason* he was sent off yesterday was because he dove in off the ground studs up on a player.He was handed a rare opportunity to impress, a 10 min cameo or not, and he ****ed it up. Perhaps his efforts in training dont merit a place in the squad, and on a day where he was gifted an oppertunity to stake a claim to a place in the squad he royally fecked it up. Blaming anyone but fab is simply stupid.

Well nobody wants to get screwed, but under simple economics the price is simply what something is worth to you.

And a quality midfielder would be worth so much to United. Could be difference between top 4 and not making CL.

As in I wouldn't pay over-the-odds for a goalie, defender or forward as its not necessary.
    But maybe for a midfielder.

I watch Juve as often as I can and I reckon Vidal is up there with the best CM's around.I cant see Juve letting him go unless a huge bid was placed €40M+,which I doubt United would pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

yabadabado wrote: »
    I watch Juve as often as I can and I reckon Vidal is up there with the best CM's around.I cant see Juve letting him go unless a huge bid was placed €40M+,which I doubt United would pay.

Agreed.

They said they probably wouldn't be able to turn down a huge bid for Pogba, so why not Vidal too? we should spend whatever it takes to get a class CM. Throw enough money at a club and you could just about get anyone. We could do with a show of strength in the transfer market.

Agreed.

They said they probably wouldn't be able to turn down a huge bid for Pogba, so why not Vidal too? we should spend whatever it takes to get a class CM. Throw enough money at a club and you could just about get anyone. We could do with a show of strength in the transfer market.

Juve would probably sell if the fee is high enough but I doubt United would but in a big enough bid.We paid 27m for fellaini so a bid of €45m isn't outrageous imo.A player like that joining could only boost the whole squad .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I will be shcoked to see us pay near 40million for a player. I just can't see it happening, even though I think its necessary for the right type of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Manchester United manager David Moyes has been given assurances that significant funds are available to him for this month and the summer transfer windows, writes Sky Sports News' Chief News Reporter Bryan Swanson.

The club is targeting a left-back and central midfielder and senior figures at the club have told Sky Sports News that Moyes will receive all the financial support he needs to make any moves.

But Manchester United officials, who have given Moyes their full support and have no plans to appoint a director of football to support transfer activity, will not rush into any panic buys and stress that the availability of top players remains the biggest obstacle.

"We would like to bring people in but are those players available?" Moyes asked after his club's FA Cup defeat to Swansea on Sunday. "There is an urgency but there's no point in me hyping it up because the players we would like to bring in are probably not available in January."

United have yet to trigger one-year extension clauses in the contracts of Rio Ferdinand and Patrice Evra, who are both out of contract in the summer, and talks have yet to take place with Nemanja Vidic and Fabio who are also free to talk to clubs this month.

Sources at the club say talks will take place, which will include representatives of Wayne Rooney, at the appropriate time and there is 'absolutely no panic' about the current situation.

Sky sources also understand that Cardiff are one of at least six European clubs, including Stoke, Swansea and Norwich, to have made a loan enquiry for Wilfried Zaha this month.

Moyes is understood to want Zaha to play more games but no decision has been made on the striker's future as the club assesses Nani's hamstring injury.

SkySports

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

We still need a LB

Buttner wants to stay

Buttner would be better as LW imo.

• Advertisement

KH25 wrote: »
    I will be shcoked to see us pay near 40million for a player. I just can't see it happening, even though I think its necessary for the right type of player.

the way things have gone we will have to start paying that if we want to bring in top players.Berbatov cost approx. €35m and that's 5 years ago so its not a huge leap to €40m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

No team who is challenging for their league or still in the CL is going to sell their best players in this transfer window e.g. Reus, Dungogan, Vidal, Koke etc. They might sell their fringe players e.g. Coentreau. So that greatly reduces the number of good players available.
    I really think Man Utd will not buy any player this window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Motivator wrote: »
    Praising a £24 million player for his off the ball movement is the most embarrassing compliment I've ever seen a professional footballer be paid.
    Didnt cost 24 million, ironic you made a balls of that considering your next sentence
    United fans haven't a clue.

Nice generalisation there
    Well at least they wont be lonely I suppose, you will be there for us right?
    90% of United fans thae days have never seen a crisis like the one the club is going through at the moment. They don't know how to handle the criticism. Listening to some of the stuff they're coming out with about players like Jones & Smalling being good enough to play for that Club is laughable.

90% is another example of you not having a clue isnt it? (not to mention another beautiful sweeping generalisation) To the rest, I find your opinion on Jones and Smallin laughable
    Fellas would want to come in out of the fog & realise this team is just about a top 6 team. No fight in the players at all, rolling over week after week to the likes of Spurs & Swansea is comical.

Your telling people to come in out of the fog because they cant see how a club that has never been out of the top 3 in the Premier League, nor out of the top 2 for the last 8 seasons, winning two of the last 3 leagues, has over night, become a "just about" top 6 club?

Again, laughable.
    Before anyone mentions an injury crisis at the club, simply not an excuse for a Club as big as Man Utd.

Ah, so the injury crisis is irrelevant because of who we are, teams should have no bother missing 5 key players for most games, no bother at all.

You deserve one the rare occasions I will post this little twat tbh

:rolleyes:

Horrible post

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

I'm a Utd fan since the early seventies. I've seen lots of ups and downs but what's happening now is hard to take because of the success we have got used to.
    Most people agree that the quality of present squad is poor. Most would also agree that only SAF could have won the league last season with this squad bearing in mind the quality of the other teams.

I know that Moyes must be given time & also that he took over a squad that needs strenghting

However Moyes fell very short while trying to bring in new players. In my opinion he was a embarrassment while paying €5m more for Marouane Fellaini than he should have done. Also the way he tried to buy Baines & Fellaini and then missing out on last minute deals in Spain.

Al that said I never thought Moyes was good enough but was hoping to be proved wrong. I cant see the Glazers parting with much money in this window for Moyes to strengthen.

So for me the club decided to make a donkey the manager and now he has turned us into a team of asses.
    I'm sure the owners must be thinking about removing David Moyes and asking SAF to take charge till the end of the season.
    RANT OVER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

How was Moyes to know the squad was poor? It had just won the league and Moyes added Fellaini to it. It wouldn't have been out of place for this thread to be full of "we've the best squad in the league" around then either.

This, and the next window are the ones to judge Moyes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

I think Gundogan could be a more viable option than vidal and alot cheaper too.

Bad news for Arsenal Walcott reportedly ruled out for 6 months, I wonder will the teams above us start piling up the injuries. They've had it relatively easy considering we've had 6+ key players out at times this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Gundogan hasnt played since August or so?

No way he'll leave Dortmund before the Summer, if at all imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

A couple of technically equipped and strong, determined and improving prem league players like De Guzman (good passer, good attacking eye) and Santon (left or right back, defends and attacks well) with a player with a more eye grabbing signing let's say Pjanic would be a good window. All three have experience of different leagus and competitions so could be expected to settle quickly.

I don't know much about the lads in the Portuguese league so just throwing it out as an example of how United could do plenty of good business this window.

• Advertisement

Would be a bit mad to spend big money on Gundongan right now, the back can be a dodgy area and I would like to see him play a fair bit now without tweaking it again. Lots of talk of him going to Madrid in the summer anyway. He is not better then Vidal either so if you are gonna go big then go big and get the best. Vidal has everything, I highly doubt we could get him realistically, but that we are constantly linked with him gives me hope there must be chance that I am not giving it credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Gundogan hasnt played since August or so?

No way he'll leave Dortmund before the Summer, if at all imo.

Im sure they know what hes capable of, and hes back training now. Dont think it would damage his world cup chances hed walk into the united team.

case885 wrote: »
    Im sure they know what hes capable of, and hes back training now. Dont think it would damage his world cup chances hed walk into the united team.

I'm sure they do. I'm also sure that any prospective buyer would want him to prove his fitness before parting with the vast amount of money that would be required. That's not going to happen before the end of the season at least i reckon.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    A couple of technically equipped and strong, determined and improving prem league players like De Guzman (good passer, good attacking eye) and Santon (left or right back, defwbda and attacks well) with a player with a more eye grabbing signing let's say Pjanic would be a good window. All three have experience of different leagus and competitions so could be expected to settle quickly.

I don't know much about the lads in the Portuguese league so just throwing it out as an example of how United could do plenty of good business this window.

Santon is one I would be intrigued by actually

I'd love a bid for him, he's top class.

Back in training last week as well, I think if we wait until the summer Madrid will just outbid us, but they hardly ever spend big in January so that could be in our favour if the money is there for Moyes,

I'd love a bid for him, he's top class.

Back in training last week as well, I think if we wait until the summer Madrid will just outbid us, but they hardly ever spend big in January so that could be in our favour if the money is there for Moyes,

As would I, and I agree he's quality. But see kryogens post above for the reason I dont see him leaving in January. (#9031)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

FatherTed wrote: »
    No team who is challenging for their league or still in the CL is going to sell their best players in this transfer window e.g. Reus, Dungogan, Vidal, Koke etc. They might sell their fringe players e.g. Coentreau. So that greatly reduces the number of good players available.
    I really think Man Utd will not buy any player this window.

as i said early, coentrao and matic/fernando would be good additions, gettable too.

I find the idea that United would not be able to buy sufficiently talented players in this window laughable.

as i said early, coentrao and matic/fernando would be good additions, gettable too.

I find the idea that United would not be able to buy sufficiently talented players in this window laughable.

You can only hope its all in the downplaying

Guardian have gone as far as to say Coentrao has an agreement with United but Real need to be convinced

Guardian have gone as far as to say Coentrao has an agreement with United but Real need to be convinced

Convinced you say?

amigos_320.jpg

Sure wouldnt that be demented since he was going to be allowed move in the summer and he is clearly the back up there. He needs a move even a loan one in a world cup year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

We should bring them for dinner, buy them flowers and tell them we really want him.

That should be plenty convincing.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

We sold them Ronaldo ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

How many games will be missed by a January signing who signs on the last day of the window? As opposed to signing them right now.

Even that will be irritating especially if we lose a few of the games. But any signing at any time will be welcome.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    As would I, and I agree he's quality. But see kryogens post above for the reason I dont see him leaving in January. (#9031)

He's not even a risk if you compare it to signing someone like RVP, who is pretty injury prone.

He's was on a planned recovery program which is why he was out for 4 months, they didn't want to rush him back, and is now back in training. We've 3 weeks to watch him and assuming he passes a medical I don't see the problem. The club wouldn't take a risk spending that amount of cash so any red flags in the medical and I'm sure it would be left.

He's the best we can get realistically as I don't think we'll near double our record transfer fee to sign Vidal, even just to show our interest now while Dortmund are shoving contracts in his face, maybe we could get some kind of pre agreement for the summer.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/06/manchester-united-fabio-coentrao-koke-transfer

Just read it now, taking Carlo's word as final even though he doesn't make those decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

they'd miss Swansea home, Chelsea away and Cardiff at home in the league.

Sunderland in the Cup, but I think if you aren't there for the first leg you can't play in the second anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Bannerman7 wrote: »
    I'm sure the owners must be thinking about removing David Moyes and asking SAF to take charge till the end of the season.

That's what I'd be thinking, and much as Fergie's enjoying retirement I'd say he'd be desperate to put this right.

Pity the old coaching team is gone, it makes the whole situation even messier.

He's not even a risk if you compare it to signing someone like RVP, who is pretty injury prone.

He's was on a planned recovery program which is why he was out for 4 months, they didn't want to rush him back, and is now back in training. We've 3 weeks to watch him and assuming he passes a medical I don't see the problem. The club wouldn't take a risk spending that amount of cash so any red flags in the medical and I'm sure it would be left.

He's the best we can get realistically as I don't think we'll near double our record transfer fee to sign Vidal, even just to show our interest now while Dortmund are shoving contracts in his face, maybe we could get some kind of pre agreement for the summer.

Does Owen Hargreaves need to say hello to you again?

Its a back problem, has even watching how Rio needed to be handled the last few seasons with his dodgy back not shown you how unpredictable an area it is to have a problem in?

We dont need to be signing a centre mid with question marks about him (we did that twice recently with Ando and Hargo, neither worked out great) If he would have to be managed like Rio we are best off without him. Let him prove his fitness, if he looks fine playing every week then by all means go for him. If you think that if Madrid wanted him they would be put off by us trying to sign him in January you would be mistaken.

kryogen wrote: »
    Does Owen Hargreaves need to say hello to you again?

You think the club haven't learned to not take risks on players after that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Unsure if posted already, but RTE mobile had a subliminal advert on the match report...

rte.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement