Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

On the Coentrao thing. 12m is a good price and its gathering pace now but......

...I have been watching a lot of La Liga the last couple of years all including Barca's and Madrids games when before that it was mainly the El CLassico's and Coeantrao hasn't featured a lot, something which my La Liga Madrid supporting buddies who watch it religiously are happy about because in their words Conetrao is "shocking". Good going forward, terrible at defending. Kind of like what Evra offers us except with more years on him.

The little I have seen of him hasn't overly impressed or disappointed me. I hate to be a buzzkill but just wanted to give some opinions based on his career until now.

Don't get me wrong I'd still welcome the signing very much and hopefully the player and club were mismatched until now and he would shine at UTD if we nabbed him, which I think we might just do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Ronaldo doesn't really defend though, he was good at Benfica

Jesus I'm getting teams mixed up now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

On the Di Maria idea, could we use Kagawa as a sweetener when negotiating if we're told straight up no by Dortmund for Reus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

On the Di Maria idea, could we use Kagawa as a sweetener when negotiating if we're told straight up no by Dortmund for Reus?

Thats confusing. ????

GSPfan wrote: »
    Thats confusing. ????

As in could we do a part exchange deal including Kagawa for Di Maria, if Dortdmund aren't selling Reus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Swaps rarely if ever happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Well, Madrid would have to want Kagawa first, which they dont (its Madrid, if they did you would know about it!)

Also, there is not a hope in hell of Dortmund parting with Reus. The only way he goes is if wants to go and someone meets the release clause in 2015. As long as Dortmund reach the CL this year I expect him to sign a new contract, without a release clause

Obviously we'd have to put money with him, but do you think it could happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

As in could we do a part exchange deal including Kagawa for Di Maria, if Dortdmund aren't selling Reus?

Ah I see now. Highly doubt Kagawa is of any interest to Real Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

According to Twitter we could hear something tomorrow
    @MufcDevilUpdate BREAKING: Reports is Spain claim ManUtd will announce tomorrow an agreement with Real Madrid for the purchase of Coentrao. [MD]

https://twitter.com/MufcDevilUpdate/status/420342752954818560
    @ManUtdNorth **Reports suggest that the Coentrao deal is all but there. Statement to be made by either club tommorow**

https://twitter.com/ManUtdNorth/status/420360102432890880
    @Inside_Forward Spanish media claims Coentrao may be unveiled today by #MUFC while English media claim deal is off. Personal terms could be agreed already.

https://twitter.com/Inside_Forward/status/420360493141065728

Although thats just how Twitter works, one link and everyone puts there own spin on it and its retweeted to death. Twitter is responsible for a lot of transfer hype. Its hard to get too excited when anyone can start an account. We'll see tomorrow I guess, I'm not expecting to hear much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mundo Deportivo are the ones who have said United will make it public tomorrow.

I aint neither excited or disappointed cause been here before and for me just a case of see what happens.

Be nice decent signing if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

moyes needs a lot more than Coentrao,wheres the midfielders?????????????????????.
    we need midfielders to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Twitter has hurt me too many times. I refuse to believe anything posted on it anymore.

So now that we have Coentrao signed up we can move on to CM next, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

signing Coentrao don,t excite me one little bit,more needed.......................................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

bassy wrote: »
    moyes needs a lot more than Coentrao,wheres the midfielders?????????????????????.
    we need midfielders to.

I'll finish that for you:

...pass, create, show up. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Just to reiterate the ONLY quote in relation to the transfer of Coentrao:
    Carlo Ancelotti, the Real head coach, said on Sunday: “No players are leaving and we’re not going to sign anyone. The window is closed for us.”

It does seem bit mad that we are just going pop into Madrid and get this deal done asap.

We usually drag these things to death and end up with nothing.

sure we will see tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It does seem bit mad that we are just going pop into Madrid and get this deal done asap.

We usually drag these things to death and end up with nothing.

sure we will see tomorrow.

Imposters?

Just to reiterate the ONLY quote in relation to the transfer of Coentrao:

meh

May aswell be nothing tbf, not saying we will sign Coentrao, but Ancelotti doesnt do the transfers at Madrid, whatever he says means **** all really

bassy wrote: »
    we need midfielders to.

Holding off on announcing those deals to **** with you

• Advertisement

Balague has nothing up on his twitter about it, must be true.

Our Year wrote: »
    Imposters?

more than likely:pac:

Guillem has actually quoted himself saying Koke definitely won't be leaving Atletico as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭dougee19

Anyone hearing about this Bernardo Feital attacking player? Apparently better than Bébé

dougee19 wrote: »
    Anyone hearing about this Bernardo Feital attacking player? Apparently better than Bébé

Nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Guillem has actually quoted himself saying Koke definitely won't be leaving Atletico as well...

So there's a chance?

So there's a chance?

90% of the time, he's wrong every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

One of the main reasons I'm excited by a potential Coentrao transfer, could be a factor should we come calling him home in a year or two. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    One of the main reasons I'm excited by a potential Coentrao transfer, could be a factor should we come calling him home in a year or two. ;)

@1.08 Ronaldo looks like he's wearing a dress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Yer like a bunch of early teens if ye believe all the crap ye read on twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

duffman13 wrote: »
    Your comparing two completely different clubs, Fergie didnt take over champions and Moyes did. I have no problem with Moyes rebuilding and results to suffer but we are not playing to the potential thats even in the current set of players. I will obviously hold fire till the end of the season as should most Utd fans however he hasnt shown much so far to inspire confidence going forward.
    The team of champions he took over are decimated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hopefully today will bring some promising news on the transfer front, and a good performance tonight.

What do you reckon the team will be? Very tough one to guess. I would imagine Moyes will want to rotate as much as possible, but with Rafael, Fabio, Jones, Young, Nani, Fellaini, Rooney and RVP all certainly or likely to miss the game through injury or suspension I don't see there being too many choices.

I would say Vidic and Evra are certain to start, Carrick as well. Beyond that, I have no idea.

Guessing:

De Gea
    Smalling--Vidic--Evans--Evra
    Valencia--Carrick--Giggs--Januzaj
    Welbeck--Hernandez

Being linked with Diego Costa in the papers today. An odd one in my opinion.

A great player, and of a quality we may need to be in for in the summer, depending on what may happen with Rooney and Van Persie - so scouting him makes sense.

As things are right now though, I can't see him as a viable target - seems Arsenal want to do a deal for him this window, and I don't see any way we move for him now, if they do.

He is a better forward than Welbeck and Chico, no question about that imo, but I don't see any way we play him and Rooney and RVP, and none of them would be happy with or given a bench role (imo) - so I just can't see him being a realistic target at this time.

Apparently a paper in Portugal has us bidding for Matic, or about to bid for him - would love it to be true - would be an excellent addition to midfield. Not sure if he could partner Carrick though - see him as a potential replacement for Carrick in the deep lying playmaker/defensive role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Hopefully today will bring some promising news on the transfer front, and a good performance tonight.

What do you reckon the team will be? Very tough one to guess. I would imagine Moyes will want to rotate as much as possible, but with Rafael, Fabio, Jones, Young, Nani, Fellaini, Rooney and RVP all certainly or likely to miss the game through injury or suspension I don't see there being too many choices.

I would say Vidic and Evra are certain to start, Carrick as well. Beyond that, I have no idea.

Guessing:

De Gea
    Welbeck--Hernandez

How did Fletcher play the other day? Didnt get to see any of it?

bullvine wrote: »
    How did Fletcher play the other day? Didnt get to see any of it?

Probably our best player. Did very well imo.

Don't have him in my lineup because he played on Sunday, can't imagine him playing (or at least starting) tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Good to hear Mitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Guessing:

De Gea
    Welbeck--Hernandez

Smalling and Valencia have linked up so well down that right hand side recently, I really hope to see them keep their partnership going again tonight. Its developing into a really effective weapon for United.

Smalling and Valencia have linked up so well down that right hand side recently, I really hope to see them keep their partnership going again tonight. Its developing into a really effective weapon for United.

sacr6_2737.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

That Croatian lad for Sevilla scored again at the weekend, anyone ever see this Raktic guy play?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

That Croatian lad for Sevilla scored again at the weekend, anyone ever see this Raktic guy play?

Raktic is hot property and will be on most top teams shopping list this Jan and summer windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Raktic is hot property and will be on most top teams shopping list this Jan and summer windows.

So you're saying there's a chance :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2534925/David-Moyes-handed-200m-rebuild-Manchester-United.html
    Manchester United will back David Moyes with a mammoth £200million to rebuild his beleaguered team.

This is all well and good, but i hope that Moyes brings in AT LEAST a player or 2 during the January window

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2534925/David-Moyes-handed-200m-rebuild-Manchester-United.html

This is all well and good, but i hope that Moyes brings in AT LEAST a player or 2 during the January window

That figure is going up on a daily basis :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

A wum .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Perfect, £100 million for Baines, £100 million for Osman. :D

But seriously I'd doubt he'll get anywhere near that amount unless he's signing the likes of Ronaldo. Or else that might include any money he gets from selling off the dead wood in the summer.

I'd be happy with £50 million spent on a couple of good players this month, or preferably a little more if he gets an absolute star and one other good player.

• Advertisement

So - if you were Moyes and Woodward was competent, what would you do with the 200million?

I'd being going for Matic and a left back right now. Shaw - Baines - Coentrao in that order.

I'd consider a further purchase - Di Maria or a CM player like Herrera for example, but wouldn't be going all out.

In the summer I would then be looking to get a CB (Zouma, Mangala, Benatia) - a winger, a central midfielder (assuming Herrera wasn't added), and another two full backs (as back ups to Rafael and whichever first choice LB we signed). Not sure who the CM player would be, but if Matic was signed I'd be looking at a Fabregas TYPE of player. A capable CM player but one with more of an attacking edge than defending one.

Buttner, Fabio, Ferdinand, Anderson, Giggs would all be replaced. At least one of Nani, Young and Valencia too (Valencia getting my 'out the door' vote). If we keep Rooney and RVP, I would reckon Chico is gone - replacing him would be an issue. Henriquez, Keane and Wilson all promising, don't know if they would have what it takes to become 4th choice striker (after Rooney, RVP and Welbeck) next season though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Agh lads its the Daily Fail FFS...the day i believe that rag is the day Ronaldo comes home and brings Messi with him????

£200m supposedly over the next 18 months.. but if we don't have ECL next year thats significantly reduced..

Moyes won't make a signing this month..wait and see....

If that was true, there are very few players who are unavailable, January or not.

Not a chance the club would be spending anything close to that in reality, I would like to see us flex our muscles a bit though.

The difference between us and Liverpool at the moment is that we can buy our way back into the top 4 and they just can't compete with that, it would be really stupid of us not to get players in.

So - if you were Moyes and Woodward was competent, what would you do with the 200million?

I'd being going for Matic and a left back right now. Shaw - Baines - Coentrao in that order.

I'd consider a further purchase - Di Maria or a CM player like Herrera for example, but wouldn't be going all out.

In the summer I would then be looking to get a CB (Zouma, Mangala, Benatia) - a winger, a central midfielder (assuming Herrera wasn't added), and another two full backs (as back ups to Rafael and whichever first choice LB we signed). Not sure who the CM player would be, but if Matic was signed I'd be looking at a Fabregas TYPE of player. A capable CM player but one with more of an attacking edge than defending one.

Buttner, Fabio, Ferdinand, Anderson, Giggs would all be replaced. At least one of Nani, Young and Valencia too (Valencia getting my 'out the door' vote). If we keep Rooney and RVP, I would reckon Chico is gone - replacing him would be an issue. Henriquez, Keane and Wilson all promising, don't know if they would have what it takes to become 4th choice striker (after Rooney, RVP and Welbeck) next season though.

Zouma is one I would love to see signed up, great potential in our young centre backs or not. Think he is going to be a superb player, can see him interesting Chelsea though, Arsenal too in fact, and thats just in England.

I think we will see significant changes over the next 18 months to the playing squad, but I would rather that start now then try to do the bulk of it in the summer, staggering it seems like it would be the best approach rather then wholesale ins and outs in a short period of time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement