Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

The difference between us and Liverpool at the moment is that we can buy our way back into the top 4 and they just can't compete with that, it would be really stupid of us not to get players in.

true.
    the difference in available money imo will make the difference, but with Rodgers I think we have a someone who will hopefully get the best out of the players we purchase.

big window for both clubs for that coveted 4th spot.

just on the £200million ..do you think the club would make a statement like that? think about it..would you really want any club you are in negotiations with for a player knowing you have such a budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

No of course they wouldnt, just media ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Agueroooo wrote: »
    true.
    the difference in available money imo will make the difference, but with Rodgers I think we have a someone who will hopefully get the best out of the players we purchase.

big window for both clubs for that coveted 4th spot.

just on the £200million ..do you think the club would make a statement like that? think about it..would you really want any club you are in negotiations with for a player knowing you have such a budget?

Do you think it makes a blind bit of difference? Do you think football clubs are stupid?

They see United's accounts, revenue streams and costs. They know the money we have, and therefore know our potential budget.

They also know we are desperate for players. They will milk our situation no matter what statement the club does or does not make.

EDIT: It is probably just spin, but it is no coincidence these stories re. money and scouts being called in come to light immediatly after the Swansea game - people in power at United, probably directed by Woodward have leaked this to the press. They could be lying, but they are making it know the owners are backing Moyes and will provide him whatever he wants. I am certain the media have not made this up by themselves. It is club lead, with public deniability for that if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Agueroooo wrote: »

Of course they wouldn't. The story has gone from 100m to 200m and the 200m figure is coming from the daily mail. Its almost an official stamp for BS.

Do yourself a favor and don't go spending 200m in your head, you'll only be let down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

As much as I promised myself I would not let myself get sucked in this month like I did in the summer, I've an awful feeling I'm going to be bitterly disappointed come 1st February....

Papers will try to sell papers, ssn will try keep/get viewers and twitter is just twitter.... Wish there was an easy way of filtering out the bull****.

I'd being going for Matic and a left back right now. Shaw - Baines - Coentrao in that order.

Out of interest, if this is your rating you must be a bit let down with all the Coentrao talk so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

200 million to spend.Shaw,Vidal and Di Maria before the month is out.That will be a fair wedge of it gone :pac:

Out of interest, if this is your rating you must be a bit let down with all the Coentrao talk so?

I do like Coentrao, and would be happy with him.

The reason for the ratings:

Shaw - youngest, used to english football, world class potential.
    Baines - Used to english football, would be the most 'instant' of the 3.
    Coentrao - could need a bedding in period similar to the one Evra had on his arrival, which would be messy for us.

In terms of talent right now Baines and Coentrao would be close for me, with Shaw third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Had a seriously vivid dream last night that United had agreed to sign Lionel Messi at the end of the season for £75m. I think I was chattin to David Moyes and all. He confirmed it to me. I couldn't believe it.

My only surprise was waking up this morning and hearing nothing more about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Shaw hasn't played well at all this year. Also he's a huge Chelsea fan and rumours are that he'll end up at Chelsea in the next 1-2 years depending on what Cole does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Red Crow wrote: »
    Shaw hasn't played well at all this year. Also he's a huge Chelsea fan and rumours are that he'll end up at Chelsea in the next 1-2 years depending on what Cole does.

We're only a week in in fairness

Al Capwned wrote: »
    As much as I promised myself I would not let myself get sucked in this month like I did in the summer, I've an awful feeling I'm going to be bitterly disappointed come 1st February....

Papers will try to sell papers, ssn will try keep/get viewers and twitter is just twitter.... Wish there was an easy way of filtering out the bull****.

There is, just check manutd.com for confirmations of transfers, nothing else matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Interesting.
    Swansea midfielder Jonathan de Guzman has cited the negative reaction from the Old Trafford stands as one of the major reason’s behind his club’s historic FA Cup win at Manchester United.

“You could tell their fans weren’t pleased when they played the ball backwards and we used that to our advantage,” said the 26-year-old.

“You could feel it (edginess in the stadium). The fans wanted to win.

“They are at home. Their crowd is an extra man. But if they are turning their backs or things are not going well and the team is not playing the way they should, as an opposition player you have to use that.

“You could hear the fans booing at the end of the game and when they played the ball backwards we knew that as well.

For all Swansea’s industry, the United team they faced at Old Trafford was light years away from the one that travelled to the Liberty Stadium in August, when it appeared the transition from one Scot to another would be very short indeed.

“I didn’t play in that game but I do remember they were lethal, more so than they are being now.

“But don’t forget, they still have two great players missing in Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney.”

i find that the most interesting bit tbh.

you can either say the team has gone backwards since then, or you don't have a lethal Van Persie.

which is it?

I do like Coentrao, and would be happy with him.

The reason for the ratings:

Shaw - youngest, used to english football, world class potential.
    Baines - Used to english football, would be the most 'instant' of the 3.
    Coentrao - could need a bedding in period similar to the one Evra had on his arrival, which would be messy for us.

In terms of talent right now Baines and Coentrao would be close for me, with Shaw third.

Pretty much what I feel. Baines is just so damn consistant he would seamlessly fit in. That and his Moyes relationship would be perfect. Age is the only factor against him and Everton wanting 20m+ for him.

Shaw is young and talented plus EPL ready, all major pluses. Southampton would want 20m+ also but for his age makes it more appealing.

Coentrao is young enough, his overall quality is in question a little, but for 12m he seems the most gettable right now and sensible when you consider cost and age.

Baines = Best instant impact. Least long term investment. Most costly.
    Shaw = Good impact. Best long term investment. In the middle cost wise.
    Coentrao = Unknown Impact (non EPL & not had first team football). In the middle in terms of long term investment. Best cost wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

We're only a week in in fairness

Season, you know what I meant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

kryogen wrote: »
    There is, just check manutd.com for confirmations of transfers, nothing else matters

True, but that won't stop me getting my hopes up about potential signings though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

SlickRic wrote: »
    Interesting.

you can either say the team has gone backwards since then, or you don't have a lethal Van Persie.

which is it?
    It was the first game of the season. Hardly a measure of how your season is going to pan out.

Interesting.

which is it?

It is a United team that has been missing key players consistently through the season and has been missing too many of them at the same time. No fluency allowed to develop or consistency in partnerships.

@RedDevilsDaily Tony Pulis has confirmed Manchester United have rejected a bid for Wilfried Zaha from Crystal Palace..

https://twitter.com/RedDevilsDaily/status/420520226019868672

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Lads while not an immediate concern what do people think long term for our defenders.

Smalling has talent i think he gets over the top praise.
    Evans is a very solid player.
    Jones has the most potential imo but still a long way to go.

All three are fine players but i don't know if any of them can become the best in the world like Ferdinand and Vidic. I have heard lot's about Zouma only seen him a few times and i was impressed but i haven;t seen enough to give a proper assessment.

Let's face it we had some players over the years in fairness.

The last few years VDS, Ferdinand, Vidic and Evra were among the best in their position in the world.

Scholes, Tevez and Ronaldo these players were never really replaced. Fergie done an amazing job but he never really replaced the stars we lost the last few season we need massive money to get in quality signings. Maybe it was the Glazers i don't know but their are so many average players in the team i hope Moyes get's rid of the deadwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Have no interest in him going back to Palace Pulis play's horrible football. Would be happy to see him at Cardiff or Fulham or Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

So - if you were Moyes and Woodward was competent, what would you do with the 200million?

I'd being going for Matic and a left back right now. Shaw - Baines - Coentrao in that order.

I'd consider a further purchase - Di Maria or a CM player like Herrera for example, but wouldn't be going all out.

In the summer I would then be looking to get a CB (Zouma, Mangala, Benatia) - a winger, a central midfielder (assuming Herrera wasn't added), and another two full backs (as back ups to Rafael and whichever first choice LB we signed). Not sure who the CM player would be, but if Matic was signed I'd be looking at a Fabregas TYPE of player. A capable CM player but one with more of an attacking edge than defending one.

Buttner, Fabio, Ferdinand, Anderson, Giggs would all be replaced. At least one of Nani, Young and Valencia too (Valencia getting my 'out the door' vote). If we keep Rooney and RVP, I would reckon Chico is gone - replacing him would be an issue. Henriquez, Keane and Wilson all promising, don't know if they would have what it takes to become 4th choice striker (after Rooney, RVP and Welbeck) next season though.
    If that was true, there are very few players who are unavailable, January or not.

Not a chance the club would be spending anything close to that in reality, I would like to see us flex our muscles a bit though.
    Zouma is one I would love to see signed up, great potential in our young centre backs or not. Think he is going to be a superb player, can see him interesting Chelsea though, Arsenal too in fact, and thats just in England.

I think we will see significant changes over the next 18 months to the playing squad, but I would rather that start now then try to do the bulk of it in the summer, staggering it seems like it would be the best approach rather then wholesale ins and outs in a short period of time.

One thing I would feel is why go near Herrara??....since that last minute thing in summer have watched him this season and he is no great shakes....one Tom Cleverly in the squad is enough!;)......
    Moyes is bit screwed during this window as clubs know he will pay big to get anyone he even hints at liking....would love to see likes of Anderson sold home to Brazil during this window...and he just might go to try and play regularly to try and make World Cup squad.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

In this window it should be all about getting us into the top 4. And getting in target to achieve that.

Debuchy can cover both full backs and has league experience. Not the most glam but covers 2 positions we need cover in. I'm happy with the cbs we have until summer. (I'd like Coleman and shaw signed and a CB signed)

Midfield. Here's where it gets harder. We need someone good on the ball that covers the ground as well as someone to give carrick a break/competiton. Odd like Matic and think we should be high now for him. Even him and carrick might mean we don't concede as many as we have been.

Attackers I would be ok with what we have as I feel most of our problems stem from conceding goals and having to claw back games.

I'd even take a few 0-0's just to get some defensive confidence into the team.

For the summer I'd like DDG signed to a long term contract. Rooney can go if he's replaced with a Falcao etc. Anderson, rio evra (maybe giggs) gone.

Then I'd like us to spend the money and go big for Vidal and I'd like to see if Rues could be tempted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

DP'd it. (Double post ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Lads while not an immediate concern what do people think long term for our defenders.

I think that Smalling, Jones and Rafael do indeed have the ability and the potential to become world class for the club, with J Evans a top class player along with them.

Even if it cost us points now, I would have no problem with Moyes selecting those three as his first choice defenders and allowed them time to develop together as a unit, along with De Gea of course. If he did that then in 2 or 3 years they could be as good a unit as there is around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Do signings have to be announced to the markets first? As in that's when the news is released? Obviously it didn't happen with Fellaini because it was a late deal in the window. But with Ferguson retiring it was announced the morning before the NYSE opened?
    Anyone know the story?

Only if it can significantly effect the financials of the club, not sure what type of figure it would have to be to do that, maybe 50+ million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Wishful Exits:

Rio, Fabio, Anderson, Young, Valencia, Buttner, Giggs, Hernandez, RvP (I don't want him to go......but I feel he is unhappy)

Wishful Arrivals:

Matic, Shaw, Mangala, Di Maria, Reus, Cabaye, Koke / Costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Fabio, Hernandez and RVP????

You Crazźzzzzzzzzzzy fooooooolllll

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

master-t wrote: »
    Wishful Exits:

Rio, Fabio, Anderson, Young, Valencia, Buttner, Giggs, Hernandez, RvP (I don't want him to go......but I feel he is unhappy)

Wishful Arrivals:

1346839458-auto-dafuq-dafuq-did-i-just-read-200165.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

racso1975 wrote: »

I wouldnt mind seeing Fabio and to a lesser extent Chico leave

the latter for the right price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Koke is United's most likely signing in January, with Sky Bet going 4/7 on the Atletico Madrid midfielder moving before deadline day. However, should that move fail to materialise then Athletic Bilbao's Ander Herrera is next in line at 2/1.

Arturo Vidal is also a rumoured target and is 5/2 to go, while Adam Lallana (7/2) and Ross Barkley (9/2) are the most likely midfield candidates if United prefer to stick to the domestic market.

Elsewhere, left-back appears to be an issue for Moyes but with Everton seemingly reluctant to sell Leighton Baines, Fabio Coentrao has emerged as the favourite to fill the void. Real Madrid are willing to part ways with the Portuguese full-back and United are 4/6 favourites to sign him, though Baines remains an 8/11 chance.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11667/9105422/united-targets

racso1975 wrote: »

Soldie wrote: »
    1346839458-auto-dafuq-dafuq-did-i-just-read-200165.jpeg

I do apologise, 'Wishful' should only be arrivals, not exits. REPEAT.....before Boards as a f**king meltdown....I do not wish for RVP and Hernandez to leave! :)

I don't want either RVP or Hernandez to leave......but I can't see both staying. I think if we signed a striker than 1 must go. Ive read a heap of stuff saying RvP is unhappy, so I fear it might be him.

I think Fabio can leave if we sign a LB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Wishful Exits:

Wishful Arrivals:

You not feel Rooney would be more likely than RVP to leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Possible Exits:

Rio, Fabio, Anderson, Young, Valencia, Buttner, Giggs, Hernandez, RvP (I don't want him to go......but I feel he is unhappy).....Cleverley, Bebe, Macheda, Petrucci, Lindegaard, Nani

Wishful Arrivals:

Corrected that list for you

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

MagicIRL wrote: »

Are they giving odds on him actually staying at Athletico? (in work and gambling sites are blocked)

4/7 seems way too short for a January move to United.

Have to remember Athletico are joint top of La Liga and it's a World Cup year... he'd be mad to move at the moment.

brinty wrote: »
    Corrected that list for you

I wish!! :)

We can't give Bebe away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Whats the general consensus on the amount of players we need to get in/get rid of?

Personally, I think we need a LB, possibly a back-up RB, a winger and 2 CM's, so 5 players in total.

Players who should definitely go: Anderson, Bebe, Macheda, Rio, Giggs.

Add to that 1 of Young or Valencia to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Interesting.

which is it?

We were being outplayed for most of the match till RVP bailed us out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bosnian journo has tweeted that we've put in a bid for Pjanic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I wish!! :)

We can't give Bebe away

Cant even give him away on FM :)

KH25 wrote: »
    Whats the general consensus on the amount of players we need to get in/get rid of?

Personally, I think we need a LB, possibly a back-up RB, a winger and 2 CM's, so 5 players in total.

Players who should definitely go: Anderson, Bebe, Macheda, Rio, Giggs.

Add to that 1 of Young or Valencia to go.

LOADS.

I make it 6....

2 left backs
    1 right back
    1 winger
    2 central midfielders.

Possibly a centre back or two as well - Rio and Vidic out of contract in the summer.

Could also need a striker, with question marks over Rooney, RVP and Chico for various reasons.

Fabio, Bebe, Macheda and Anderson are certainties to leave.
    Would be surprised if Buttner was retained. Think at least one of Nani, Young and Valencia will leave. At least one of Rio/Vidic leaving, I would say Rio is a certainty to go.
    And, as I say, question marks over the futures of RVP, Rooney and Chico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Poor Bebe

Careful now guys....

No one outs Bebe in the corner ;)

Does anyone think Moyes will make Bebe a regular when he returns from his successful loan spell at Pacos de Ferreira in which he helped them get relegated to avoid the financial outlay of the top tier?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Does anyone think Moyes will make Bebe a regular when he returns from his successful loan spell at Pacos de Ferreira in which he helped them get relegated to avoid the financial outlay of the top tier?

Bebe always helping others,

He is sound like that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I know it's Sports Direct News but they are saying that Atletico want Valencia,please let it happen.

If he has any sense he should anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

zerks wrote: »
    I know it's Sports Direct News but they are saying that Atletico want Valencia,please let it happen.

Ill swim him over on my back right now if they sign the deal.

No point in anyone leaving until someone comes in

• Advertisement

Bebe rejects sweaty goals because he does not want to tarnish his greatness

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement