Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

kryogen wrote: »
    No point in anyone leaving until someone comes in

Can we not make an exception for Valencia? Pretty please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

kryogen wrote: »
    No point in anyone leaving until someone comes in
    I'd make an exception for Valencia. If he's gone he can't play for us. That's the way I'd be looking at it.

Has enough time passed today to say that the Coentrao story last night was bollix?

There's an awful smell of Ferguson off Moyes. No value in the market and all that. If he ever said that out loud I'd break down in laughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Here's a link to the Pjanic story: https://twitter.com/psy_net/status/420533316144472066

Isn't it a shame how injuries seem to be destroying football lately. It feels like every player is more and more prone to be out with an injury. Maybe I haven't noticed as much in the past but it seems like there's very few games these days where two teams can field their absolute best 11. Especially the big games.

It popped into my mind while reading about Walcotts injury. I even read the name Abou Diaby and had a moment where I was shocked, I had completely forgot about him. So many injuries to the point where I just forgot him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Pjanic isn't cup tied either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

lordgoat wrote: »
    In this window it should be all about getting us into the top 4. And getting in target to achieve that.

Debuchy can cover both full backs and has league experience. Not the most glam but covers 2 positions we need cover in. I'm happy with the cbs we have until summer. (I'd like Coleman and shaw signed and a CB signed)

Midfield. Here's where it gets harder. We need someone good on the ball that covers the ground as well as someone to give carrick a break/competiton. Odd like Matic and think we should be high now for him. Even him and carrick might mean we don't concede as many as we have been.

Attackers I would be ok with what we have as I feel most of our problems stem from conceding goals and having to claw back games.

I'd even take a few 0-0's just to get some defensive confidence into the team.

For the summer I'd like DDG signed to a long term contract. Rooney can go if he's replaced with a Falcao etc. Anderson, rio evra (maybe giggs) gone.

Then I'd like us to spend the money and go big for Vidal and I'd like to see if Rues could be tempted.

Debuchy, Coleman, Shaw, Matic, Falcao, Vidal, Reus.

Not asking for much there.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The big obstacle is getting players out of the club. I just don't know who is going to match their wages. The below players are on massive wages and would free up money for big name signings. The squad is huge loads of deadwood but i presume wages have to be freed up for incoming signings.

Young is on 100k plus a week same with Evra i assume.
    Anderson and Valencia i presume are on 50k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Can add Bebe jokes to the banned list on the charter?

Giggs would be the first i'd take off the wage bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I vote for buying Pjanic. Haven't a clue who he is but he has a quality-sounding name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

GSPfan wrote: »
    Giggs would be the first i'd take off the wage bill.

ah now. Players like Valencia and Buttner and to a lesser extent recently, Ashley Young. (I presume we're not including the likes of Macheda et al who are on loan)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Debuchy, Coleman, Shaw, Matic, Falcao, Vidal, Reus.

Not asking for much there.:D

Falcao is if Rooney goes.

The rest I think all improve the starting 11 instantly considering the LB's form at the minute. Debucy being a squad player and I rate Coleman ahead of raf.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

I'd wonder if any of Bayerns many midfielders are available..

Kroos maybe?

Also what about Lars Bender?

Timmyctc wrote: »
    ah now. Players like Valencia and Buttner and to a lesser extent recently, Ashley Young. (I presume we're not including the likes of Macheda et al who are on loan)

Don't know what you mean? Giggs is most likely on more money than all of them and plays the odd game. Taking up space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

I vote for buying Pjanic. Haven't a clue who he is but he has a quality-sounding name.

Sounds like a Pjanic buy to me!

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Don't know what you mean? Giggs is most likely on more money than all of them and plays the odd game. Taking up space.

I'd be very surprised if that was the case. I would imagine his contract has been reducing over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Giggs is fine till the end of the season tbh, just shouldnt be played much. Cant be on big wages now

The rest I think all improve the starting 11 instantly considering the LB's form at the minute. Debucy being a squad player and I rate Coleman ahead of raf.

What would be the point of signing Coleman. He would cost a big chunk of money which is needed in other areas. Both are brilliant young full backs but for me Rafael is the superior player. I would love an irish man at the club but Rafael showed last season how important he is.

I'd be very surprised if that was the case. I would imagine his contract has been reducing over the last few years.

Maybe but what on average are coaches on a week at United. Probably 5-10k a week. Once Giggs retires will he settle for such a massive reduction in wages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Koke, Reus, Gundogan, Coentrao. I really hope reports are correct and that they are the quality of player we're looking to bring in. Sufficient quality and age profiles to warrant the outlay. All would immediately improve our first 11.

I think Purslow is absolutely right: "It's time for them to start to actually punch at the weight at which they can compete. That means buying top class players"

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Maybe but what on average are coaches on a week at United. Probably 5-10k a week. Once Giggs retires will he settle for such a massive reduction in wages?

Surely the answer is yes, either that or he leaves football completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Maybe we should get Purslow in as CEO?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

bullvine wrote: »
    Maybe we should get Purslow in as CEO?

I concur.

v3ttel wrote: »
    Koke, Reus, Gundogan, Coentrao. I really hope reports are correct and that they are the quality of player we're looking to bring in. Sufficient quality and age profiles to warrant the outlay. All would immediately improve our first 11.

I think Purslow is absolutely right: "It's time for them to start to actually punch at the weight at which they can compete. That means buying top class players"

agree and disagree.

I think we need players now, and I see no chance of getting Reus or Gundogan now. In the summer it would be very tough to get them (ALL the big clubs will be after them), so my pragmatic side says try to get the best we can (in a couple of key positions) NOW rather than basically give up on this season and hope a 7th place United playing crap football is an attraction to the best players on the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

good point in F365 today.

Utd have the same points total after 20 games as Arsenal did last year.

This is how it's done guys. Maybe you can tell Moyes.

1: Get knocked out of all domestic cups. You can do that later today.

2: Reach a low point against a really good team (4-0 losses to Mlan & Bayern in the CL). Everyone finally says 'this is the worst'. I think the players need to come out with theire quality being questioned. This could be tricky cause it won't work with Olympiacos unless you lose like 8-0 or something.

3: Find high profile sacrificial lamb and drop/transfer them (Verm last year, Arshavin previous). I'd say sell Valencia and replace Evra.

4: Acquire moral boosting victory against said superior oppsition (3-0 vrs Milan, 2-0 vrs Bayern away) thus restoring confidance. 7-0 vrs the greeks will have to do.

5: Put together run of solid consistant results while rivals just above you slip up just enough for you to sneak into fourth. Once the pressure is on, you just know it'll happen.

6: Laugh at how they really finally said 'this is the year we finally overtake you and the power shifts'. Laugh a little bit harder and longer because you believed it too for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭F.J.

Do you think there is a big difference between Rafael and Coleman? I haven't watched Coleman much and there is no point in having him come in to replace Rafael if there isn't a big difference.Especially when the money could be used better elsewhere.

Rafael is one of the best right backs in the league imo and he is one of our best players.He plays with a fire and determination that a lot of our players lack at times.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    What would be the point of signing Coleman. He would cost a big chunk of money which is needed in other areas. Both are brilliant young full backs but for me Rafael is the superior player. I would love an irish man at the club but Rafael showed last season how important he is.

Plenty of games for both of them, means that at CB would be jones smalling evabs and vida. 2 good right fulls can fight it out to start. I'd keep buttner if evra leaves and sign Shaw if possible

Basically at the moment I think we are light at full back and I think Coleman is just getting better and better and have concerns over raf that are atill there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Coleman is in the form of his life at the moment, Raf is still the better player imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Id take Coleman if we didn't have Rafael, but I don't think it would be worthwhile to sign him and either have one as backup to the other or consistently rotate the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Would have said they were pretty close at the start of the season but Coleman is on a different level this season.

F.J. wrote: »
    Do you think there is a big difference between Rafael and Coleman? I haven't watched Coleman much and there is no point in having him come in to replace Rafael if there isn't a big difference.Especially when the money could be used better elsewhere.

Rafael is one of the best right backs in the league imo and he is one of our best players.He plays with a fire and determination that a lot of our players lack at times.

Coleman is a better defender IMO. And I think we need that. I don't want to start a huge raf debate. He's a good footballer for me. But I want more competition at full back. I don't think Coleman would cost a fortune and I think he would be worth it. He has gotten better and better since moving from LOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Vidics agent says he might leave UTD
    “Vidic, given his contract situation, has several teams looking at him,” Silvano Martina told Radio Crc.
    “Napoli? At the moment there has been no contact.
    “Thanks to the management of [President] De Laurentiis and [sporting director] Bigon, they are one of the best clubs in Europe.
    “Vidic is a very good player and will have no trouble finding a new club. For the time being we are remaining calm.
    “However, at the moment, I would rule out an extension with Manchester United.”

http://www.football-italia.net/43507/vidic-agent-no-napoli-contact

Losing Rio and Vidic in the same season would be a massive blow for UTD. Maybe its Vidic agent just trying to pjanic UTD into giving him a new contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Vidics agent says he might leave UTD

http://www.football-italia.net/43507/vidic-agent-no-napoli-contact

Losing Rio and Vidic in the same season would be a massive blow for UTD. Maybe its Vidic agent just trying to pjanic UTD into giving him a new contract.

:P

Vidic's agent has always done that....then blamed Mrs Vidic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

v3ttel wrote: »
    Koke, Reus, Gundogan, Coentrao.

Reus will be the next guy Bayern snaps up. Replacement for Ribery. No chance of him or Gundogan joining United.

• Advertisement

But reducing lower than those names mentioned? I don't know. He still has to go. Sometime this decade.

Reus will be the next guy Bayern snaps up. Replacement for Ribery. No chance of him or Gundogan joining United.

Cheers for letting us know.

But reducing lower than those names mentioned? I don't know. He still has to go. Sometime this decade.

Yeah - I would say he is on less than Young and Valencia at least.

Would reckon he is now in the mid tiers of pay at United.

Coleman is a better defender IMO. And I think we need that. I don't want to start a huge raf debate. He's a good footballer for me. But I want more competition at full back. I don't think Coleman would cost a fortune and I think he would be worth it. He has gotten better and better since moving from LOI.

I think what we need at right back is cover not a replacement for Rafael.He has had an injury interrupted season but he will continue to improve defensively.

Also think Everton would hold out for £20+ million for Coleman.

I could handle Rio and Vidic leaving. Smalling and Jones need to be permanent Centre Backs. They are being ruined. It would force us to buy a right back and a midfielder as cover for both. Drastic change is coming.

• Advertisement

I could handle Rio and Vidic leaving. Smalling and Jones need to be permanent Centre Backs. They are being ruined. It would force us to buy a right back and a midfielder as cover for both. Drastic change is coming.

If both Rio and Vidic leave, I reckon we will move for Benetia, Managala and Zouma - to sign one of them. Where that would leave Smalling, Jones and Evans, I don't know, in terms of first choice.

Not getting my hopes up about Pjanic. Have read he has signed/is close to signing a new contract.

Roma signed Pjanic and Strootman for a combined £23.5 million or so.Well played them

F.J. wrote: »
    Not getting my hopes up about Pjanic. Have read he has signed/is close to signing a new contract.

Roma signed Pjanic and Strootman for a combined £23.5 million or so.Well played them

their business model is based on buying young and selling for a profit - they attract and gain investment specifically on this model. For that reason, players like Strootman, Pjanic and Benetia will be moving on before too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Evans has been the CB of choice for a long time now. SAF said that he sees himself and Smalling as the long-term replacements for Rio and Vidic.

With the current state of the team, Jones is needed in midfield. I think he has played better in midfield than he has at CB. He was excellent as a defensive midfielder at Blackburn and is those few games he played for United in midfield recently.

If both Rio and Vidic leave, I reckon we will move for Benetia, Managala and Zouma - to sign one of them. Where that would leave Smalling, Jones and Evans, I don't know, in terms of first choice.

Being first choice Centre Back at United is basically whoever isn't injured. I'd say we could have 4 Centre Backs and they'd all get enough game time through injury and the amount of games in Domestic competitions and Champ...... I mean Europa League football. :)

their business model is based on buying young and selling for a profit - they attract and gain investment specifically on this model. For that reason, players like Strootman, Pjanic and Benetia will be moving on before too long.

Similar enough to United so in the buying young and develop regard. Not getting my hopes up about potential transfers anymore.The Thiago one still hurts!

Evans has been the CB of choice for a long time now. SAF said that he sees himself and Smalling as the long-term replacements for Rio and Vidic.

With the current state of the team, Jones is needed in midfield. I think he has played better in midfield than he has at CB. He was excellent as a defensive midfielder at Blackburn and is those few games he played for United in midfield recently.

I said they need to be permanent centre backs. Not first choice. I'd say Evans will be first choice between the 3 of them.
    And we should be easily able to buy someone to do a far better job than Jones in midfield. He has been good there but that's not his preferred position or his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What sort of team do you reckon we will see tonight? I hope its strong, I'd like to more or less wrap this up tonight if at all possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I wouldn't be too bothered to see Vidic moved on. He's well past his prime at this stage and he isn't worth playing hardball with either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I said they need to be permanent centre backs. Not first choice. I'd say Evans will be first choice between the 3 of them.
    And we should be easily able to buy someone to do a far better job than Jones in midfield. He has been good there but that's not his preferred position or his best.

It's been anything but easy to buy someone at all! Jones has done better in midfield this season than Fellaini has, so it's clearly not so easy. All cm's since Carrick have been a failure in some way; Hargreaves, Anderson, Pogba, Powell yet to play and Fellaini yet to play well. Re-signing Scholes is the only one that worked out! :pac:

CB might be his preferred, but from what I have seen of him, he has been better in midfield.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement