Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Are they giving odds on him actually staying at Athletico? (in work and gambling sites are blocked)

4/7 seems way too short for a January move to United.

Have to remember Athletico are joint top of La Liga and it's a World Cup year... he'd be mad to move at the moment.

Odds mean nothing. Every transfer window betting is suspended on multiple players moving but rarely anything comes of it. Gambling is a mugs game.

Sunderland 4/1 tonight, I'm getting on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'm hoping I'm wrong but expecting a crap performance like usual where we struggle to break Sunderland down in the attacking third with crosses from every angle being the order of the day and Sunderland to score as well.

You can only be pessimistic and hope to be surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

J. Marston wrote: »
    Odds mean nothing. Every transfer window betting is suspended on multiple players moving but rarely anything comes of it. Gambling is a mugs game.

Sunderland 4/1 tonight, I'm getting on that.

Especially when it's SkySports articles publicity on SkyBet odds! :pac:

100shares.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I'm hoping I'm wrong but expecting a crap performance like usual where we struggle to break Sunderland down in the attacking third with crosses from every angle being the order of the day and Sunderland to score as well.

You can only be pessimistic and hope to be surprised.

I dunno, we've generally been good away from home this season. It's at home we've been sucking balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It's been anything but easy to buy someone at all! Jones has done better in midfield this season than Fellaini has, so it's clearly not so easy. All cm's since Carrick have been a failure in some way; Hargreaves, Anderson, Pogba, Powell yet to play and Fellaini yet to play well. Re-signing Scholes is the only one that worked out! :pac:

CB might be his preferred, but from what I have seen of him, he has been better in midfield.

If we can't successfully buy somone better than Jones in midfield then we're fooked. It isn't easy (for Man United managers) to buy good midfielders but it just has to be done. Jones was very good for Blackburn at centre back and his last few games at centre back for United were great. He just never plays there. Its always right back and midfield.

I would hate United to buy a centre back and leave Jones in midfield. I'd be sick in my mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

agree and disagree.

I think we need players now, and I see no chance of getting Reus or Gundogan now. In the summer it would be very tough to get them (ALL the big clubs will be after them), so my pragmatic side says try to get the best we can (in a couple of key positions) NOW rather than basically give up on this season and hope a 7th place United playing crap football is an attraction to the best players on the market.

I would see Koke as a more difficult target than Reus or Gundogan. With Atletico competing to win La Liga, and having an outstanding chance of making the last 8 of the Champions League against a struggling AC Milan side. It could be beneficial to stay in Spain with this being a world cup year.

I presume Reus & Gundogan see Dortmund losing their best players in consecutive seasons to their biggest competitors domestically. The competitors who were already strong enough to win the CL last season without those two world class players, and are already a country mile ahead of them in the Bundesliga without Lewandowski. I think the Dortmund players would be more open to a move than some think. Reus is guaranteed a place in the German world cup squad no matter where he goes, barring injury of course. Dortmund seem reasonable to deal with (Gotze for 30 million, given his age, and the destination being their direct competitors, was an excellent deal) and will probably sell if the right offer comes in.

Right now, I would go all out for Coentrao (good age, reasonable price, his performances at Madrid do not worry me, such is their ability to ruin players who leave to have magnificent careers) and Reus (as above, great age, great quality) and Koke (if it didn't work out now, I would have a deal in place for the Summer before the world cup if at all possible).

It would probably take 80-90 million for the three players, but I think they'd bring us back up there, with money to be recoup from some of the deadwood and high earners who will be off the wage bill in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

F.J. wrote: »

Roma signed Pjanic and Strootman for a combined £23.5 million or so.Well played them
    Thats was excellent business .If they sold both of them now they would at least double their outlay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

GSPfan wrote: »
    If we can't successfully buy somone better than Jones in midfield then we're fooked. It isn't easy (for Man United managers) to buy good midfielders but it just has to be done. Jones was very good for Blackburn at centre back and his last few games at centre back for United were great. He just never plays there. Its always right back and midfield.

I would hate United to buy a centre back and leave Jones in midfield. I'd be sick in my mouth.

Moyes has said that he wants a CM. In reality, he likely won't get the one(s) he wants in January. With the current squad as is, and based on the season so far, I'd have Jones second only to Carrick in midfield. Fletcher has shown some good stuff since his coming back, but Fellaini, Anderson, and Giggs haven't been up to it in CM this season.

Kagawa, Val, Young and Nani haven't done much / enough either when given a chance.

Best team if all fit for me is:

De Gea,

Rafael, Evans, Vidic (Smalling), Evra

Jones, Carrick

Wellbeck, Januzai,

RVP, Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its depressing seeing Italian clubs buy players that are worth so little and then people would be happy to splash 30million on Barkley.

• Advertisement

v3ttel wrote: »
    I would see Koke as a more difficult target than Reus or Gundogan. With Atletico competing to win La Liga, and having an outstanding chance of making the last 8 of the Champions League against a struggling AC Milan side. It could be beneficial to stay in Spain with this being a world cup year.

I presume Reus & Gundogan see Dortmund losing their best players in consecutive seasons to their biggest competitors domestically. The competitors who were already strong enough to win the CL last season without those two world class players, and are already a country mile ahead of them in the Bundesliga without Lewandowski. I think the Dortmund players would be more open to a move than some think. Reus is guaranteed a place in the German world cup squad no matter where he goes, barring injury of course. Dortmund seem reasonable to deal with (Gotze for 30 million, given his age, and the destination being their direct competitors, was an excellent deal) and will probably sell if the right offer comes in.

Right now, I would go all out for Coentrao (good age, reasonable price, his performances at Madrid do not worry me, such is their ability to ruin players who leave to have magnificent careers) and Reus (as above, great age, great quality) and Koke (if it didn't work out now, I would have a deal in place for the Summer before the world cup if at all possible).

It would probably take 80-90 million for the three players, but I think they'd bring us back up there, with money to be recoup from some of the deadwood and high earners who will be off the wage bill in the Summer.

Reus is at the club he supports and I read somewhere that he turned down a better contract from Bayern to play for Dortmund. There's no chance he'll leave now anyway and the only way he will in the summer and beyond is if, like you said, Bayern keep hoovering up all the talent and it becomes a one horse race again.

A bid in the summer after Lewandowski leaves to test the waters is worth a shot, but it will probably be sometime in 2015 when he moves, if ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Before I let myself get hyped about the Miralem Pjanic transfer, which I would be over the moon with, it's worth pointing out that the account which seems to have started all this has 10 followers on twitter, and google has nothing about him as a journalist. So the only thing it seems to be based on is a rumour and one of the higher ups at Roma saying "We have received a number of enquiries about Miralem, not just from PSG."

Pinch of salt.

That said Coentrao and Pjanic would have me made up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Poor Mikey might have to get a new sig

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

I wonder why Moyes cooled the Utd interest in Strootman? He was a no brainer for the money involved. I think he signed for less than 15m in the end.

Imagine if we had kept Pogba and signed Strootman! We'd be looking at a very different team right now :(

The two lads are probably worth a combined total of 60m now!

It really can't be that hard for Moyes to sign cm players who will improve our starting 11. The bar is pretty bloody low at Utd.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Before I let myself get hyped about the Miralem Pjanic transfer, which I would be over the moon with, it's worth pointing out that the account which seems to have started all this has 10 followers on twitter, and google has nothing about him as a journalist. So the only thing it seems to be based on is a rumour and one of the higher ups at Roma saying "We have received a number of enquiries about Miralem, not just from PSG."

Pinch of salt.

That said Coentrao and Pjanic would have me made up.

Sure if we're getting Coentrao we may as well get Di Maria as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Hierro_4

Long time lurker and first time poster here.

There's a lot of posters one here and elsewhere with egg on their face. This thread had a significant portion of Alex Ferguson detractors that just didn't know a good thing when they had it. The consistency the man achieved in the league was incredible. He was a genius. 5 league wins out of the last 7 with the other 2 being lost on the last day of the season. One with the last kick of a game.

Yet some on here regularly denounced his team selections and tactics. Yes he made some mistakes, noticeably neglecting the centre of the park. However, the good he done severely outweighed the negatives but you'd have hardly thought that by reading the utter tripe a certain group of posters typed here regularly.

Maybe now those of you I'm talking about will appreciate the true greatness that Sir Alex Ferguson brought to Manchester United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Hierro_4 wrote: »

There's a lot of posters one here and elsewhere with egg on their face. This thread had a significant portion of Alex Ferguson detractors that just didn't know a good thing when they had it. The consistency the man achieved in the league was incredible. He was a genius. 5 league wins out of the last 7 with the other 2 being lost on the last day of the season. One with the last kick of a game.

Yet some on here regularly denounced his team selections and tactics. Yes he made some mistakes, noticeably neglecting the centre of the park. However, the good he done severely outweighed the negatives but you'd have hardly thought that by reading the utter tripe a certain group of posters typed here regularly.

Maybe now those of you I'm talking about will appreciate the true greatness that Sir Alex Ferguson brought to Manchester United.

Can you give some examples of what your talking about instead of sprouting random rubbish.

Quandary wrote: »
    Imagine if we had kept Pogba and signed Strootman! We'd be looking at a very different team right now :(

This depresses me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Headshot wrote: »
    Poor Mikey might have to get a new sig

Maybe I'll ask that great bloke who made all those sigs for those people that time. Maybe he has a Januzaj sig for me.
    Sure if we're getting Coentrao we may as well get Di Maria as well.

Ah yeah sure it's Two for Tuesdays in Dominos so maybe if we call Real Madrid with the vouchers then they will honour them?

If you've only started reading the thread in the past few months you're not getting the whole picture, as Fergie is gone and posters are focusing on the team he left Moyes which has us 7th in the league. So you're going to be seeing a lot of negatives.

If you've been reading for years you are just wrong, we've all praised Fergie to the heavens, the genius he is and especially what he did with the squad the last 3 years which was in serious decline and he somehow managed to win the league twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

BdY7lZpCYAAN8pu.png:large

• Advertisement

Raf32 post also depresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Lack of goals/assists from midfield isn't a new problem, we've been the same for 2 or 3 seasons in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Quandary wrote: »
    I wonder why Moyes cooled the Utd interest in Strootman? He was a no brainer for the money involved. I think he signed for less than 15m in the end.

add Morrison in there as well.Class player with a huge amount of talent,pity about the way he acted away from football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Raf32 wrote: »

If this is accurate it says it all really :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Kew you may watch something funny soon!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This depresses me.

Stop, the more I see Strootman play the more I wonder how anyone could "cool" their interest.

Nailed on Holland captain, that guy is going to be playing at a high level for SUCH a long time. And we coulda got him for a bargain price, biggest failing I can think of for along time

If we go those targets we are being touted for, we would be a different animal. Reus, Koke, Gunga, Contrao, holy schmokes. Potential to suit Kagawa aswell, interested to see where he falls in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Banega Banega Banega Banega Banega

Please

Januzaj has also played nearly 400 minutes less then Cleverly and Valencia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Raf32 wrote: »

Thats an absolutely depressing set of stats....
    The whole midfield has to be rethought bar Janujaz and Carrick at the base of it

TheDoc wrote: »
    Stop, the more I see Strootman play the more I wonder how anyone could "cool" their interest.

Nailed on Holland captain, that guy is going to be playing at a high level for SUCH a long time. And we coulda got him for a bargain price, biggest failing I can think of for along time

Now I be first to admit over past 2 seasons I had slight doubt about Strootman.

Im not going to pretend I was "huge fan". I liked him from what I saw but had doubts. Was wrong on that (again)

All this for little money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Got bored and depressed so I went in search of the Champions League 2008 Final thread.

Good times.

6 years since we won it. Times Flies.

Had some hangover next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Banega Banega Banega Banega Banega

Please

Their chairman apparently said he'd listen to offers of about 8m or so for him.

For pennies, buy him. At least he can pass a ball forward in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

The poll gave me a smile straight away! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Hierro_4 wrote: »

No one is doubting what Alex Ferguson did for the club.
    By possibly his last act was to destroy the legacy he created - and it seems it was he and he only who decided who should replace him, not the board. Not that it would have made any great difference.
    The new manager had to hit the ground running, had to have the correct pedigree, had to have an eye for signings that would strengthen what was there, innovative training regimes etc. He utterly failed in all respects and Ferguson in part must be apportioned some of the blame for that. Did Moyes really think he could buy his way out of trouble in January if it went (inevitably) the way it has gone? This isnt some transitional period where we are mush better than all but maybe one or two sides remember. Failing to make CL football next year will be a disaster.
    However Fergie and his successor Moyes dont deserve all the blame - nor that clown Woodward.
    There is a cancer running through the club that is soaking the blood from it and the strain is called Glazer.

6 years since we won it. Times Flies.

Had some hangover next day.

You werent the only one. Had been to both QFs home and away, both SFs home and away but never made it to Moscow as didnt realise they'd lax the visa restraints for the final and by the time I heard they had, the costs were astronomical. Watched it with a mob of cockney reds in a big boozer in London, good times.

Their chairman apparently said he'd listen to offers of about 8m or so for him.

For pennies, buy him. At least he can pass a ball forward in midfield.

Milan are after him, rumoured to be around 13-15m, I love him, he would improve us immensely

That CL thread reminds me of flahavajs JT rant :p

kstand wrote: »
    You werent the only one. Had been to both QFs home and away, both SFs home and away but never made it to Moscow as didnt realise they'd lax the visa restraints for the final and by the time I heard they had, the costs were astronomical. Watched it with a mob of cockney reds in a big boozer in London, good times.

Watched it in Purty Kitchen in Temple bar and ended up in Whelans.

My alarm was going off for hour in bed next morning. Not even quick shower could quench the smell of alcohol off me next morning. Plus, the fact I had no voice whatsoever. Lucky my boss was off that day. I just sat staring at my computer from 9-5.30

• Advertisement

Keno wrote: »
    Got bored and depressed so I went in search of the Champions League 2008 Final thread.

Good times.

The hate Ronaldo got in that thread : /

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

hopefully we get the job done tonight. last thing we want is to be going into the home leg needing a result :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Predicting a 3-0 victory for United tonight, Welbeck with a double, Januzaj with the other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

TheDoc wrote: »
    The hate Ronaldo got in that thread : /

CR7HatersGonnaHate.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

No one is doubting what Alex Ferguson did for the club.
    By possibly his last act was to destroy the legacy he created...,.
    Really? No but seriously though?

Mind pouring me a pint of whatever it is you're drinking? Better make it a half pint as it's obviously strong stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Watched it in Purty Kitchen in Temple bar and ended up in Whelans.

My alarm was going off for hour in bed next morning. Not even quick shower could quench the smell of alcohol off me next morning. Plus, the fact I had no voice whatsoever. Lucky my boss was off that day. I just sat staring at my computer from 9-5.30

Now Bad Bob's. The craic that was had when it was Purty Kitchen :eek:

• Advertisement

Really? No but seriously though?

Mind pouring me a pint of whatever it is you're drinking? Better make it a half pint as it's obviously strong stuff.

The appointment of Moyes full stop and what has happened since. If you cant see the state things are in now and the danger the club is in of doing a Liverpool on it, then I'd advise you to stop drinking and not go looking for any more.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Now Bad Bob's. The craic that was had when it was Purty Kitchen :eek:

Say it was only time I was inside that place.

Met the owner at time. United fan and sound out. Got free pint. Cant complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

By possibly his last act was to destroy the legacy he created -
    There is a cancer running through the club that is soaking the blood from it and the strain is called Glazer.

Jeez :confused:

CR7HatersGonnaHate.jpg

I watched that final in the canaries where i lived for a summer. Height of the holiday season...surrounded by Chelsea fans and ABUs. Girflriend worked in a bar so was watching it in there, packed to the rafters. All English.

Girlfriend kept feeding me pints and as I was getting jared stopped caring and I remember I went MENTAL at Ronaldo's goal. Only person in the place, then I had lads jumping all over me when Lampard scored, and when Ronaldo missed his peno. Thought I was going to get murdered after VDS saved Anelkas peno.

Ended up being a mental session and was serious good craic, the way fanfare should be to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Good times.

Someone bump it for the lol's :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement