Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

nuxxx wrote: »
    That include the Charity league? :pac:

What is that?

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

nullzero wrote: »
    What is that?

Shield Whatever, you know what I meant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Thai side Muangthong United have apparently paid £5 million for Jay Bothroyd. Somebody give them a ring quickly and tell them we're selling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

sky88 wrote: »
    i think theyll end with the same amount Zero at the end

Moyes already has a bit of silverware though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

For a striker,Wellbeck didn't spend a huge amount of time in Sunderland's box.

article-2535448-1A7AF37800000578-804_634x414.jpg

We've seen the same with Rooney & RVP this season,having to drop deep to try to create something or even just to get involved in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Strike that one I guess.

Craig Norwood ‏@CraigNorwood 2m
    David Moyes states on MUTV it is 'not true' that Manchester United are interested in Fábio Coentrão.

Craig Norwood ‏@CraigNorwood 4m
    Moyes 'not true' statement was to a journo's questions asking if the deal had been done. Doesn't deny we might be interested, my bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

As much as I'd like to hear Moyes say in an interview that "the squad is full of useless ****ers" he just can't do that. Interviews are pretty pointless really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

No Kagawa again? A 40 year old and an 18 year old instead?

I'm sorry but this is beyond ridiculous at this stage.

No hate for the guy, he seems nice etc. but then so do Cleverly and Valencia and they're not good enough either, except they didn't cost 18 odd million nor do they constantly escape criticism.

Kagawa offers us nothing and is just another outflow of cash we could really do with investing in some proven world class players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

zerks wrote: »

We've seen the same with Rooney & RVP this season,having to drop deep to try to create something or even just to get involved in the game.

If the predator was at the match tonight it was a wasted opportunity tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Major problems in midfield. It's going to cost alot of money to fix the rot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

As much as I'd like to hear Moyes say in an interview that "the squad is full of useless ****ers" he just can't do that. Interviews are pretty pointless really.

I think it is unfair to call the squad useless as they won the title last year. The tactics by moyes have been poor and as a manager you try and get the best out of the team which he hasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Im worried about Moyes saying the team are playing well....

Is he insane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Surely Moyes has lost the dressing room , has a manager ever come back from being this far gone, shades of Fulham and Martin Jol earlier in the season.

If he's lost the dressing room I don't see him turning things around.

Unless he drops Cleverley were gonna finish 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Holy Moly guys, what a rollercoaster of a season! Luckily we have the second leg to play, otherwise it would be out of 2 cups in a week.
    I think we will turn it around at OT in second leg. Gotta be optimistic!
    Lets hope this defeat really makes them sit down in the morning and get on the phone all day! Some serious work to be done in the office tomorrow for Messrs Moyes and Woodward. Has to be 3 or 4 top drawer players out there that are available. Im starting to question our scouting network if we cant get anyone in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

edgecutter wrote: »
    I think it is unfair to call the squad useless as they won the title last year. The tactics by moyes have been poor and as a manager you try and get the best out of the team which he hasn't.

The players may be the same but the performances haven't, there's absolutely no excuses for Cleverley, Valencia, Young, Kagawa, Nani, Evra etc. and the way they have been playing.

• Advertisement

Im worried about Moyes saying the team are playing well....

Is he insane?

What do you expect him to say

He said they didnt do a lot wrong, they arent far aware and are getting there, he can sense it.

Not like he is coming out going, we are playing great stuff, everything is rosy!

He also cant come out and say the players are cat, wont do them much good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Even though I wouldn't blame Bobby Charlton one bit for shaking his head, I have a feeling that that it may have more to do with medical reasons than an obvious outward showing of disappointment. Been noticing recently when the camera is on him that he seems to be getting the shakes a little.
    Hopefully I'm 100% wrong and he's in fine condition medically and he's ust as pissed off as the rest of us are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

edgecutter wrote: »

My point was I'd love to see Moyes get angry an call out the players who are under performing, but he can't really and won't. And to be fair plenty of the squad are useless at the moment and we're last year only to have been saved by RVP's goals and probably the best motivator in the game dragging them to victories.

beno619 wrote: »
    Surely Moyes has lost the dressing room , has a manager ever come back from being this far gone, shades of Fulham and Martin Jol earlier in the season.

If he's lost the dressing room I don't see him turning things around.

Unless he drops Cleverley were gonna finish 7th.

Has a manager ever come back from this far gone?? How far gone is he exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Januzai was a real plus tonight in behind Welbeck. It would be just handy if we had a decent midfield to keep possession so Welbeck could stay in the box.

Still believe 1 up top is a terrible system to play when we have 3 world class strikers and Welbeck a good prospect.

If he insists on playing 1 up top it has to be IMO the creative 3 of Rooney , januzai and kawaga in behind. No good playing Welbeck or nani there like he's done in the past, he'll have to sacrifice our wingers and tbh the way there playing it wouldn't be a loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

CleverlEy

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Moyes comments about the refs drips of desperation from a man who must be under an unbelievable amount of pressure.

lads I said it back months ago in here .Its wrong having Ferguson at every game.
    Maybe when Moyes had established himself, but not when he is trying to remould the team of a man looking down from the stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Montroseee wrote: »
    The players may be the same but the performances haven't, there's absolutely no excuses for Cleverley, Valencia, Young, Kagawa, Nani, Evra etc. and the way they have been playing.

The tactics have been awful. We are so predictable, pass to Tony he tries to cross, nothing, rinse and repeat. Did we play like this last year? I don't think so.

Moyes hasn't earned the defence he receives from some fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I dont get this Januzaj is frustrating.

The lad is breath of fresh air. Great to see a 18yo go out there and have a cut off them.

May it continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I posted the following back in september on an old man utd thread.. (we dont have the same problem with new threads on the everton one!!)

As an evertonian, I think utd fans will struggle with the lack of flexibility in moyes tactics. It's either a flat 4-5-1 or 4-4-2. The other major problem he has is substitutions. I honestly can't remember too many that he got right and in the main, he always waited till 75 mins to make a change. Stubborn man.

Forget about kawaga playing behind front man aswell, not moyes style hence lack of creative midfielder signed this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

kryogen wrote: »
    Has a manager ever come back from this far gone?? How far gone is he exactly?

Body language sounds awful, giving up on games.

I don't think he has the dressing room l..
    If he's lost the dressing room is there a way forward ?

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Moyes comments about the refs drips of desperation from a man who must be under an unbelievable amount of pressure.

lads I said it back months ago in here .Its wrong having Ferguson at every game.
    Maybe when Moyes had established himself, but not when he is trying to remould the team of a man looking down from the stands.

Honestly, it doesnt make a blind bit of difference that Fergie goes to the games.

I dont get this Januzaj is frustrating.

The lad is breath of fresh air. Great to see a 18yo go out there and have a cut off them.

May it continue.

Looks a very good player. No fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭billyhead

True. Fergie should step out of the limelight for a while and not be a distraction. Also you can be sure that if Moyes identifies a transfer target the board will consult Fergie 1st before opening the chequebook

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

As much as i want to back moyes, every game makes it harder. He sticks rigidly to the same formation and tactics and gets the same results. Why can't he try something different like 5 at the back with rafael and evra as wingbacks. At least try something else. Unless a top class cm and lb are bought and get all the big names fit then this season will be a never ending nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

billyhead wrote: »
    I dont understand people asking for his head now. What the **** will that achieve. Who would you replace him with. Give him until the end of the season and then we will evaluate the whole situation. As has been stated numerous times we need to get rid of the dead wood and bring in some world class talent (none of this Valencia//young Felliani calibre ****e) we have signed over the years.

Exactly. Plenty of people are happy to call for his head, but there aren't many managers around to step in who would be good enough in my opinion.
    The team he has put out today, and against Swansea should have been good enough to win the game.
    Blame Moyes all you want, but its hardly his fault that Cleverley and Fabio gave away stupid penalties/got sent off.
    The players are not performing, and some of them shouldn't be wearing the shirt.

People also tend to dismiss his Everton side out of hand, especially now that Martinez has turned them into Champions League contenders.
    This is totally unfair because apart from building their current side and bringing through players like Coleman, Barkley etc., Moyes' Everton side had been playing decent football and gaining results with it for a few years, on a very limited budget too. They look like bloody Barcelona compared to us now anyway.

Ship out the driftwood, sign some quality, and then give Moyes enough time for a proper judgement.

Rant over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Despite everything, I would still be in favour of keeping him there and give him a decent chance except in the above circumstances. If he's lost the support of the dressing room and they no longer (if ever?) have respect for him as their manager, either he needs to go or he needs to get in a brand new team to play for him. Not sure if either are really feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

United even had more of the ball. I know I've said this already but if you have 57% possession and Welbeck is taking up positions like this to get the ball something is wrong.

SAF is a director. He has every right to be at the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

kryogen wrote: »
    Honestly, it doesnt make a blind bit of difference that Fergie goes to the games.

Agree. I'm struggling to think of logical reasons as to how that'd have a negative affect. It'd be different if he was some sort of threat to Moyes, but he's not. Every Utd fan knows there's no realistic chance of Fergie coming back. I don't see the problem with him going to games at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I've never in my whole life wanted to be a fly on a wall in a dressing room as much as this season at Manchester United.

There was no need with Ferguson because it was well publicised what he was like. Hair dryer treatment but also a skill for man management, a skill that made players go out every match and play for him.

It's become clear that some of these players have no desire to play out of their skins for David Moyes, and others have been shown up for how bad they actually are without people like Rooney and RVP making them look better.

The club have stopped functioning as a unit. A team. A united team that we have all been raised on. Never beaten til the final whistle etc.

We shouldn't forget how bad man utd were in the Europa cup a couple of seasons ago...that was another squad that looked like they really could care less.

Remember when Man Utd lost in previous seasons? The next team they were playing would almost know for a fact that they were in for a beating and us, as fans, were certain that a victory was on the cards.

Moyes has given me no confidence in anything that he has done so far this season. People tell me that I need to give him a chance. They tell me that I'm being a typical Manc glory hunter by calling for his head already. That's not really fair because I never wanted any part of his body near the Manchester United manager's office. He had achieved nothing of note at everton, nothing that would qualify him for the biggest job in football anyway.

"But ferguson was given time" people tell me. "We need to give moyes the same courtesy". Well, we probably will, but I don't think he deserves it. Ferguson came to man utd as a winner, both domestically and in Europe. He inherited an aging, mostly alcoholic, **** team. And the first thing he did was add an extra 36 scouts to the greater Manchester area. He had a plan. Everyone could see a change was happening.

Moyes inherited champions.

When people tell me that we won a bad league, I say, well that's a bit silly, but fair enough. 11 points though? And that's with our foot off the pedal at the end. Ask most fans this year and they will have said, after the shambles in the transfer window, when moyes turned down ozil and god knows who else, that we would be a top 3 team this year. With the team that won the league last year, nobody could have predicted the mess that followed.

Moyes won't be sacked and he won't quit...so I need to see some signs from him that he has a plan. So far he has looked like a deer in the headlights. And those headlights belong to 20 years of mid table mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

another painful performance. No freaking ideas.

It just seems like 2 fans who are as lost as we are to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

I don't see the difference between Fergie watching the game in the stands or watching it at home on television. Moyes is going to be compared to the last manager whether he likes it or not, like any manager is.

It's not as if Fergie is hanging around the training ground like Busby used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I agree with you sort of. While saying he has lost the dressing room may be going too far at the moment, it certainly looks like he doesn't "have" the dressing room.

There is only two things that can be done in that situation. Replace the entire squad or replace the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

he'll have to sacrifice our wingers and tbh the way there playing it wouldn't be a loss.

I don't understand why neither Moyes or Ferguson have done that. Last season and so far this season they've produced nothing. Rather than buying two new wingers (which we need) why not play more centrally? Welbeck, Januzaj, Kagawa and Rooney could all orchestrate things behind Van Persie. Sit Carrick, Fletcher, Fellaini and Jones behind them. Sadly I think he's too old fashioned and caught up in the clubs 'tradition'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Even though I wouldn't blame Bobby Charlton one bit for shaking his head, I have a feeling that that it may have more to do with medical reasons than an obvious outward showing of disappointment. Been noticing recently when the camera is on him that he seems to be getting the shakes a little.
    Hopefully I'm 100% wrong and he's in fine condition medically and he's ust as pissed off as the rest of us are.

Sadly he has developed a slight medical condition in recent years but the shake of the head at the end was clear and was most definitely at the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭billyhead

Despite everything, I would still be in favour of keeping him there and give him a decent chance except in the above circumstances. If he's lost the support of the dressing room and they no longer (if ever?) have respect for him as their manager, either he needs to go or he needs to get in a brand new team to play for him. Not sure if either are really feasible.

More like the players need a good kick in the hole:)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Blatter wrote: »
    Agree. I'm struggling to think of logical reasons as to how that'd have a negative affect. It'd be different if he was some sort of threat to Moyes, but he's not. Every Utd knows there's no realistic chance of Fergie coming back. I don't see the problem with him going to games at all.

Its most definitely not helping the situation with TV cameras panning in on Ferguson every chance they get, as if the looking to see if the master approves of the apprentice.

It diminishes Moyes if you ask me.
    He should be seen as the #1 in all aspects of Man Utd and not like someone who has been allowed 'try out the ropes' whilst being looked on.

intentionally or not the club are writing the panto for the press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Lads I think it's extremely unlikely that we're going to sign anyone this month and if we do it'll be an incremental change. In the Summer I do expect a radical clear out. The following could easily be moved on: Ferdinand, Anderson, Giggs, Cleverley (squad player?), Vidic (sold?), Rooney (contract issue), Evra (sold?) etc.

We could easily do with signing another CM. Fellaini needs to be given games to play. When we have Rooney and RVP we will start seeing results turn around a bit more. Our midfield is so poor; Carrick is too pedestrian, Cleverley is too average... We have no real width. Welbeck probably isn't good enough to lead the line and injuries have played a huge part this season in disrupting our season.

In the Summer I'd like to see a CB, LB, 2 x CM, 2 x Wingers. Now signing that may players all at once would be a disaster but that's what we are looking at to be a good side again.
    DDG/Lindegaard
    Rafael/Fabio Smalling/CB Jones/Evans LB/Butter
    Winger/Zaha/Valencia CM/Carrick Fellaini/CM Nani/Winger
    Rooney/Januzaj/Kagawa
    RVP/Welbeck/Hernandez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Blatter wrote: »
    Agree. I'm struggling to think of logical reasons as to how that'd have a negative affect. It'd be different if he was some sort of threat to Moyes, but he's not. Every Utd knows there's no realistic chance of Fergie coming back. I don't see the problem with him going to games at all.

Every time we lose, or even concede a corner the cameras pan to fergie. He shouldn't have released that book either, reigniting the Roy Keane issue was stupid especially considering Keane was available for comment on tv due to being a pundit. That whole episode cast a shadow over Ferguson's success and that added to the dreadful squad at United and an underqualified manager with an underqualified backroom staff equals this current mess. Which sadly is beginning to look like a slide of catastrophic proportions possibly to equal or even outdo that achieved by Leeds United.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,195 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Well it's about time Moyes stopped being such a nice guy. Take a fine for the team, get the siege mentality going, anything at all.

Didn't see the incident with Evra and Moyes having words but if true he should have been hauled off straight away and sold in the morning. A senior player behaving like that when the team's back is to the wall, I'm not having that. Especially when he's shown a lot of faith and patience with him despite playing like a drain.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Its most definitely not helping the situation with TV cameras panning in on Ferguson every chance they get, as if the looking to see if the master approves of the apprentice.

It diminishes Moyes if you ask me.
    He should be seen as the #1 in all aspects of Man Utd and not like someone who has been allowed 'try out the ropes' whilst being looked on.

intentionally or not the club are writing the panto for the press.

Not really. That's the kind of spiel you would hear from the rags.

JRant wrote: »
    Well it's about time Moyes stopped being such a nice guy. Take a fine for the team, get the siege mentality going, anything at all.

Are players really that stupid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Moyes won't be sacked and he won't quit...

He will be sacked. It's the inevitable outcome to this IMO. It's just a matter of when and how much damage has been done.

It will be later rather than sooner and that will be to the clubs detriment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement