Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

kstand wrote: »
    Not so sure I would call Evans or Smalling fantastic. Smalling is a good squad player but I would be looking to replace Evans.

What What What????

He has been our most impressive CB over the last 2 seasons!

Some people.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ducker tweeting that Mendes & United also discussing Mangala from Porto but the deal won't be done until the Summer.

Looks like Sidney Sam could be on his way to Shalke for £2.5 million.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Not so sure I would call Evans or Smalling fantastic. Smalling is a good squad player but I would be looking to replace Evans.

...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

master-t wrote: »
    What What What????

He has been our most impressive CB over the last 2 seasons!

Some people.......

He ahs looked ok when he has had Vidic beside him.

Which has been rare given Vidic has been injured most of the last 2 seasons???

Evans has grown in stature because of Vidic's absence.

Evans has been one of more consistent players. He is ahead of Smalling, Rio and Vidic in CB position right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

If we do get Coentrao, yeah a decent signing, no question and the right age at 25.
    But unfortunately does not do anything to resolve the problem we have in the middle of the field. Moyes has to go and tackle that - but I'd bet any money he'll go and try and sign Baines again - which in itself is baffling becuase instead of bringing in Feillaini and going after Baines, it should be Coleman and Barkley instead.

Barkley and Coleman should be his targets?

Sure, because replacing Rafael at RB and Rooney/Kagawa/Januzaj at #10 will vastly improve the situation?

And not dealing with replacing Cleverley, Giggs, Evra, Valencia as the immediate priorities?
    I would be looking to replace Evans.

Replacing Evans, and not Rio, who is aging and has been atrocious?

Jesus wept.

Which has been rare given Vidic has been injured most of the last 2 seasons???

Evans has grown in stature because of Vidic's absence.

Evans has been one of more consistent players. He is ahead of Smalling, Rio and Vidic in CB position right now.

Well I dont rate him. Its a matter of opinion - I dont rate him. I'd have Jones and someone I'd bring in as the pairing for the future, not Johnny Evans.

Lol,Evans has looked our most impressive defender.He can tackle and play the ball out of defence.Even his heading which had been suspect has improved leaps & bounds.He's also not afraid to roar at his team mates.
    Have a look back at the Swansea game to see how many times he saved Rio's ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Blatter wrote: »
    No, your line of thinking is so far off the mark it borders on comedy.

United are in arguably the best financial shape in their history. Their revenue is through the roof alongside Bayern, Barca and Madrid. Interest repayments are down dramatically and the debt is virtually insignificant.

Why don't they spend like Bayern, Barca or Madrid then? Utd never seem to buy the finished article like the teams above, its one thing that always baffles me :confused:

v3ttel wrote: »
    Barkley and Coleman should be his targets?

Sure, because replacing Rafael at RB and Rooney/Kagawa/Januzaj at #10 will vastly improve the situation?

And not dealing with replacing Cleverley, Giggs, Evra, Valencia as the immediate priorities?

Replacing Evans, and not Rio, who is aging and has been atrocious?

Jesus wept.

Rio is finished and a new centre half is needed - I dont rate Evans.
    Barkley would be an ideal replacement for Cleverly - instead we got Feillaini. Has Barkely not being playing for Everyon in that position where Scholes used play?
    Yeah, Giggs is done and so is Toni - but Januzaj can play right flank.
    I worry about how old Baines is, good and all as he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

When is Rio's contract up? I'd be shocked if he didn't call it a day at the end of this season.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Why don't they spend like Bayern, Barca or Madrid then? Utd never seem to buy the finished article like the teams above, its one thing that always baffles me :confused:

The club has become obsessed with future sell on fees.Since when should a club like United worry about that,we aren't Celtic.

Johner wrote: »
    When is Rio's contract up? I'd be shocked if he didn't call it a day at the end of this season.

Yeah, this is his last season.
    Same for Vidic- he wnats a final pay day and a move to Europe before he hangs up his boots and who could deny him that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

thats part of the problem right now. we have say carrick, rio, evra, vidic and giggs on the wrong side of the hill some further down the other side than others and bunch of talented young players who are not there yet to take us forward enough i.e. smalling, jones, de gea, januzaj and the players in the range of say 25 - 30 who you would usually expect to lead forward and lead the team are just not up to it(with 2 or 3 exceptions). there is no point us going out and buying more players with potential to deal with the issue what we need is 2 or 3 players who are at the peak of their career to take us forward for the next few years who can come in and go straight into the first 11.

i'm trying not to get my hopes up with this window as (even with the dire need we have right now ) its hard to tell if anything will happen for a number of reasons but i would look at it for right now we need proper LB competition for evra, maybe its coentroa on loan but something would be good, and either a new wide player to give us a bit of a spark and give the team and fans a lift and start helping with setting up and scoring a few more, di maria could be an ideal source for this, or we bring in someone to do the same for midfield and sort out the rest in the summer.

zerks wrote: »
    The club has become obsessed with future sell on fees.Since when should a club like United worry about that,we aren't Celtic.

Exactly. With the revenue the club generate they shouldn't be thinking of sell on fees. Just go out and buy the finished article, the money should be there. Even look at Man City's and Chelsea squad compared to your own, the gulf in quality is frightening. I think this policy needs changing at your club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I am still completely and utterly bewildered that Valencia gets played in almost every game. He is a shockingly ordinary player and he can't even cross a ball anymore. How he hasn't been properly dropped is beyond me. Any other top club would not have him as a consistent starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

magnumbud wrote: »
    thats part of the problem right now. we have say carrick, rio, evra, vidic and giggs on the wrong side of the hill some further down the other side than others and bunch of talented young players who are not there yet to take us forward enough i.e. smalling, jones, de gea, januzaj and the players in the range of say 25 - 30 who you would usually expect to lead forward and lead the team are just not up to it(with 2 or 3 exceptions). there is no point us going out and buying more players with potential to deal with the issue what we need is 2 or 3 players who are at the peak of their career to take us forward for the next few years who can come in and go straight into the first 11.

i'm trying not to get my hopes up with this window as (even with the dire need we have right now ) its hard to tell if anything will happen for a number of reasons but i would look at it for right now we need proper LB competition for evra, maybe its coentroa on loan but something would be good, and either a new wide player to give us a bit of a spark and give the team and fans a lift and start helping with setting up and scoring a few more, di maria could be an ideal source for this, or we bring in someone to do the same for midfield and sort out the rest in the summer.

I suppose ultimately Manchester isn't the nicest of places to live (relative to some of the more glorified places that these players hang out and unless (like City) you are willing to pay astronomical wages you aren't gonna attract many "foreign" finished articles. They'll either be young foreigners or English.....

Exactly. With the revenue the club generate they shouldn't be thinking of sell on fees. Just go out and buy the finished article, the money should be there. Even look at Man City's and Chelsea squad compared to your own, the gulf in quality is frightening. I think this policy needs changing at your club.

Since 2006, Net spend;

Stoke £80m
    United £88m
    Villa £92m

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just on SSN Moyes comments from last night been investigated by the FA.

Probably get a fine or a warning,god only knows what it would be like if the likes of Brian Clough were still around managing in modern day football.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Moyes comments from last night been investigated by the FA.

Of course they have. Cause that's what we need right now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

kippy wrote: »
    I suppose ultimately Manchester isn't the nicest of places to live (relative to some of the more glorified places that these players hang out and unless (like City) you are willing to pay astronomical wages you aren't gonna attract many "foreign" finished articles. They'll either be young foreigners or English.....

there is an element to this yeah but maybe we should throw some high wages at 1 or 2 finshed articles. its noble we dont want to get involved in that but bayern, barca, madrid etc are moving forward doing it so we have to start or this slump is gonna last for a lot longer than a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Originally Posted by Leftist
    his blaming of the ref thing just shows he's completely clueless.

He's becoming a disgrace. Has to go asap.

it's a hodsgon experience.

I had a post written around October but didn't put it up in case it was seen as trolling which was not the intention but every interview I hear from moyes gives me flash backs to hodgsons time at Liverpool. Out of his depth. The fact that every fan of every other club I've spoken to hopes ye stick with him says it all IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

KH25 wrote: »
    I am still completely and utterly bewildered that Valencia gets played in almost every game. He is a shockingly ordinary player and he can't even cross a ball anymore. How he hasn't been properly dropped is beyond me. Any other top club would not have him as a consistent starter.

I said it in the match thread, it almost appears as if performance in training is more important than the actual performance come game days.

I mean, thats why people say Zaha isn't being selected, because he isn't showing Moyes enough in training to show he deserves a place? But then you see Valencia be totally abject every game and yet still be picked every game and you start to wonder what the hell is going on.

Never have I seen a player be so poor for so long yet continue to keep his place. Its not a few games or a bad spell, its been years now. YEARS! Whole countries have came and went in less time. Valencia has been abjectly terrible for about three times as long now as ever he was good for us.

I want to rate Moyes, I really do. But then every game I look at the team selection, see Valencias name and just wonder what the **** is going through Moyes head that he thinks the player who has been **** for 3 years is still worth an automatic starting spot.

Since 2006, Net spend;

Stoke £80m
    United £88m
    Villa £92m

Pretty bad alright even when you take into account the Ronaldo deal. This is why the club is falling behind now imo. Buying players with potential may cost you more than buying the finished article in that the players with potential just wont work out. Ferguson should not of left this squad to the new manager, he should of demanded big investment into the team off the glaziers and brought in the finished article, he could of attracted them to the club no doubt about that. Instead he left an ageing team with a real lack of quality to Moyes and he is paying the price for Fergies shortcomings in transfer policy the past few seasons. How can people not see this, are they too afraid to criticise the great Sir Alex Ferguson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Only listening to Moyes' comments on the game last night.
    Can't see how any United supporter would have a problem with anything he said.

THe FA will most likely charge him, but personally I was glad to hear the passion in his voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Did anyone else notice Rafael and Valencia not even move as 3 sunderland players were charging after Borinis penalty?
    The players look dejected.. no confidence at all.

Fletcher back is an absolute blessing for united.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

poolboy wrote: »

I had a post written around October but didn't put it up in case it was seen as trolling which was not the intention but every interview I hear from moyes gives me flash backs to hodgsons time at Liverpool. Out of his depth. The fact that every fan of every other club I've spoken to hopes ye stick with him says it all IMO

yep.

maybe we might even get saf back as an emergency measure like liverpool took back kenny.

I wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Since 2006, Net spend;

Stoke £80m
    United £88m
    Villa £92m

Would like to see a full league table over this period.

Since 2006, Net spend;

Stoke £80m
    United £88m
    Villa £92m

wrong 131m

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/manchester-united-transfers.html

Since 2010 we've had the same net spending as bayern (until this window)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,976 ✭✭✭billyhead

Would like to see a full league table over this period.

But how many genuine world class players have we purchased over the years. We always waste money on junk squad players who are either not good enough when given the chance such as Valencia/Young/Bebe etc or are sold on

If Moyes actually referred to the team as "His Team" and "My Players" etc he may instil some confidence.

At the moment, he look and acts like he is out of his depth because he doesn't talk like the manager of Manchester United. He talks like and Ex-Everton manger, talking about Manchester United.

He always says, "These Players"......"A Club Like Manchester United...." will bounce back, know how to win, look determined etc. It sounds like a defeatist attitude. He should be saying things like "My player will bounce back....." , "My club does not recognize this feeling, but I will ensure players who play for me and my club, will bounce straight back" etc etc.

Its a massive thing and it's bugging the sh1te out of me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Have we signed anyone yet?

No?

Alright then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

billyhead wrote: »
    But how many genuine world class players have we purchased over the years. We always waste money on junk squad players who are either not good enough when given the chance such as Valencia/Young/Bebe etc or are sold on

I didn't make any statements about my opinion on what our spend figures should be.

The figures provided are incomplete, and as another posted just mentioned, wrong (apparently, open to correction on that).

Villa and Stoke are two clubs that have grossly overspent on average enough players, I just want to see what other clubs have been doing.

I agree that we need to make more signings like RVP (although get them at a younger age), and less in the mould of Young, Zaha. Bayern have been brilliant in recent seasons, spending 40m on Javi Martinez to strengthen an already strong team. If we had bought one top player every year (in the 30m range) and one up-and-comer, in the positions needed, we wouldn't be in this mess, where we are looking at needing about 4 developed players at a cost of 100m+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Yeah, this is his last season.
    Same for Vidic- he wnats a final pay day and a move to Europe before he hangs up his boots and who could deny him that.

Where did Vidic say this? Seriously?

When did Vidic or his agent for that matter say they will be leaving at the end of the year?

(Don't bring the agent "quote" up again please) It never happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

At the moment, he look and acts like he is out of his depth because he doesn't talk like the manager of Manchester United. He talks like and Ex-Everton manger, talking about Manchester United.

Fully agree with this. At Everton, when Moyes was doing interviews you knew who the boss was and that he didn't take ****e from anyone, he seemed like a man totally in control, someone I thought would slip right in at United. Now he just looks bewildered and lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

If Moyes actually referred to the team as "His Team" and "My Players" etc he may instil some confidence.

He always says, "These Players"......"A Club Like Manchester United...." will bounce back, know how to win, look determined etc. It sounds like a defeatist attitude. He should be saying things like "My player will bounce back....." , "My club does not recognize this feeling, but I will ensure players who play for me and my club, will bounce straight back" etc etc.

Its a massive thing and it's bugging the sh1te out of me!

Yeah drives me mad when i hear him talk about 'Manchester United Football Club' and 'these players'.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think David Moyes is quite angry at the team and the situation he finds himself in.
    I do believe he will do what it takes to change the situation, but getting the players in January to make fundamental changes will not happen.
    I can see a big clear out in the summer and major spending, with hopefully one or two signings this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I wonder how far must it go before he goes? Any other top team in the world, Bayern, Barca etc who are usually stable in appointing managers compared to R.Madrid etc would of sacked Moyes by now (lets be honest he would of never got those jobs in the first place)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Moyes letting rip after the Spurs game was the first bit of fight i've seen in his interviews.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hey kry did you hear vidic is leaving at ye end of the season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Who comes in though? That is problem.

Moyes is here till end of season at least. I will back him once he stays manager at United.

But for his own sake if he does not buy this month to freshen things up then he is signing his own P45 for the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Moyes is here till end of season at least. I will back him once he stays manager at United.

But for his own sake if he does not buy this month to freshen things up then he is signing his own P45 for the summer.

As was said earlier Bryan Robson could take over to the end of the season. And go all out for Jurgen Klopp in the Summer. Klopp would attract big players even if we are in a mess.

I'm not saying it will or should happen but if it did then that would probably be likely if he got sacked. imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Crikey Kew
    I had you down as a bit more reasonable than that, not that I don't disagree. If in two windows his only signing is Fellaini then he's done nothing to rectify the problems he identified on day one and will have signed his P45. He needs to start the change now, these rumoured scout summits this week is too late. Between Moyes, Woodward and the brains trust they should've been working on incomings from September 2nd, not in the window itself. I thought we might have 2/3 players coming in on January first but this doesn't seem to be the case.

As for who we'd get if he sacked him,
    Juup Heynckes got the heave ho after a treble at Bayern for Pep..is he available,
    Hiddink could do a short term job...
    Capello on a short term deal...
    Hitzfeld???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I was thinking something earlier,

Could there be a clause in Moyes contract that allows them to sack him and pay him less if he doesn't meet targets set out at the start of the season?

If so, then sacking him mid season would be more costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Surely to god if they don't beat Swansea and lose to Chelsea, thats the end of him.. How on earth could he stay after that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

GSPfan wrote: »
    As was said earlier Bryan Robson could take over to the end of the season. And go all out for Jurgen Klopp in the Summer. Klopp would attract big players even if we are in a mess.

I'm not saying it will or should happen but if it did then that would probably be likely if he got sacked. imo.

Bryan Robson.................with his great managerial record, will do better then Moyes. Thats the new theory?

Did you do a little research on Klopp before deciding he was the saviour by the by?

This comes from a Klopp fan.

bryan robson :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

It's very unfair to criticise Moyes for not completely overhauling the squad in the first 2-3 months working with them, it's only after a few months that you'll get to know who will and won't fit into plans and then the window shuts. Also like it or not but January is a difficult month to try and bring in the ideal transfer targets. I would agree that a top quality midfielder probably should have been signed along with Fellaini in the summer but it didn't happen. If however come the end of this coming summer and nothing much is done then I would be concerned.

Woodward and Moyes replacing both Gill and Fergie at the same time was an absolute blow. It's a pity their departures couldn't have been staggered with Gill staying on for another year while Moyes was bedding in. Of course I didn't expect things to have gotten this forlorn so fast but patience is needed. Even if it's a painful and humbling experience in the short-term.

One or two additions in the next few weeks are needed even to paper over the cracks but I fully believe the summer is the right time to the bulk of the business. That's not to say I wouldn't be over the moon to break the bank today and sign a new midfield because I would. Moyes is stuck between a rock and a hard place just now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Bryan Robson? Youse are losing it lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

kryogen wrote: »
    Bryan Robson.................with his great managerial record, will do better then Moyes. Thats the new theory?

Did you do a little research on Klopp before deciding he was the saviour by the by?

This comes from a Klopp fan.

Do we really want a relegation dog fight on our hands...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement