Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

KH25 wrote: »
    Despite their result today I can see Tottenham carving us open. They have midfielders who can actually play the game.

That's what I meant,sarcasm doesn't translate from the spoken word to boards.

We may aswell have played 4-0-1 today,that's how effective most of our team was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

AVB may be looking for employment shortly, would ye take him over Moyes?

Yes. Without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

We parked the bus when Welbeck came on which isn't good enough playing Cardiff

We're almost a third through the season and we've been absolute muck in almost every single game, we'll be lucky to get a top 6 place.

Look at who the manager is. Not an adventurous bone in him, from his football to his transfers. Dull, uninspiring crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

adox wrote: »
    How the **** can you leave Valencia off that list? I mean...seriously...

Forgot about him. Woeful again today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

AVB may be looking for employment shortly, would ye take him over Moyes?

At least he might buy us a few players :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

to be fair the whole united midfield was woeful today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

FFS what a sickening day of sport :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Valencia, Chico and Cleverley were our worst performers I thought

None of them should start next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

We might aswell be putting a bow on the title to be fair. All the big sides floundering, the sides making strides like Liverpool and Arsenal won't be able to sustain the challenge. This "could" and "should" have been a relatively manageable first half of the season for the team and Moyes.

Could be easily sitting top two with some breathing room between us and others.

This pure inability to finish of teams is beyond worrying, and dropping points to ****ebag teams is just putting the title out of our hands. Cleverly was utter trash today btw, my mind is made up that he is not good enough for Manchester United and should be moved on his way in the summer and net a few million along with Ashely Young.

Hopefully we see some decent names in Janaury. The infuriating thing is this league is wide open, and we have a team of experienced enough players that we should be mounting a serious challenge, not parking the ****ing bus in front of Cardiff, jesus christ.

Could someone please just remind the players of the badge that's on the jersey please, that would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

unfortunately there's no chance of Moyes going before summer and even then I doubt it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Let's not start calling for Moyes' head. We aren't City or Chelsea. He should be given the entire season at least, despite how woeful the team and tactics have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Really hope we sign some players in January, at least to help get a top 4 position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

We need to buy Baines asap to sort out this season. He is the missing piece of the jigsaw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I'd honestly rather see Giggs, Ando or even Jones start in the midfeild instead of Cleverly. He needs to be sold.

Val, Welbz, Giggs and Clev need replacing.

Carrick was sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

We are in huge trouble without Carrick.

If Fellaini had settled we might have been ok but he has had a woeful start to his Utd career.

We have one of the weakest midfields in the top half of the premier league and between now and Xmas we will be made to pay dearly for it IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Unearthly wrote: »
    We need to buy Baines asap to sort out this season. He is the missing piece of the jigsaw

Surely you're not serious about the missing piece?

KH25 wrote: »
    Let's not start calling for Moyes' head. We aren't City or Chelsea. He should be given the entire season at least, despite how woeful the team and tactics have been.

Moyes could have togged off & played in midfield today & he'd still have been better than what's there today.

We are unbeaten in 10 but our play is so stilted it's unreal.Even when we tore Fulham apart within 20 minutes we reverted back to type & couldn't string 2 passes together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Evra was muck yet again, Smalling showed why hes a CB, proper fullback cover is needed, thought Fellaini did ok but really needs creativity beside him, our wingers where crap I thought Adnan may not enjoy the likes of Cardiff and was right, time to finish the winger system and pack the midfield with some new signings.

Doesn't even deserve a facepalm picture.

Quandary wrote: »
    We are in huge trouble without Carrick.

If Fellaini had settled we might have been ok but he has had a woeful start to his Utd career.

yep we don't have that capability in midfield/keeping possession to see off opposition like Cardiff.

That second half performance against Fulham was awful, and today was just as bad.

Carrick, Vidic and RVP needs to come back fit and a new CM needed.

It really is as simple as that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

To the people who say we missed carrick, we have been very subpar all year even when he was playing...I genuinely don't feel he would I making much of a difference....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

zerks wrote: »
    Doesn't even deserve a facepalm picture.

Cause it was sarcasm?

You are a sharp one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

When moyes was manager of everton he seemed to get the best out of his midfield. Players like fellaini,pienaar, osman and even gibson when he moved looked very good. So why is it that the united midfielders look as if they never played the position before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We need to spend at least 100m in January to get a top 3 finish

And that's assuming Moyes changes his woeful tactics

Sirsok wrote: »
    To the people who say we missed carrick, we have been very subpar all year even when he was playing...I genuinely don't feel he would I making much of a difference....

Hindsight is 20-20 but I genuinely think we would have held out if we had Carrick today. Definitely would have held on to the ball more today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

I know he's faced with an impossible task but Moyes has utterly failed in some of the basics. We have no midfield whatsoever so can't blame him for that (bar one panic buy mistake which any good manager can make).

The biggest problem with Moyes is, without doubt, the philosophy he has instilled in the team when we go ahead in games. You cannot sit back and try defend a lead against ANY team in the PL. Even the worst sides are capable of getting results when invited to attack. Any team can throw men forward in the knowledge United are looking to sit on a lead.

Moyes got away with such 'survival at all cost' tactics at Everton. He hasn't, and won't, get away with it at United.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Do you think there are issues with motivation? United were highly motivated vs arsenal and stifled our midfield which is one of the best in the league. They didn't seem capable of doing that today vs a former Championship side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Do you think there are issues with motivation? United were highly motivated vs arsenal and stifled our midfield which is one of the best in the league. They didn't seem capable of doing that today vs a former Championship side.

That's the thing, contrary to all media and most fans opinon, we didn't really stifle Arsenal's midfield IMO, bar a period in the first half of that game when Jones was outstanding. Their midfield owned the ball in the 2nd half and with more pace on the flanks or upfront, they would have hurt us. We were at home, got an early goal and fought hard to defend it. Survival, little else.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

We need to spend at least 100m in January to get a top 3 finish

And that's assuming Moyes changes his woeful tactics

As an opposition fan if there was a £100mil to be spent on players then I would like Moyes to be the one spending it.

Cause it was sarcasm?

You are a sharp one

At times in this thread it's hard to tell if someone is serious or not.

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »
    As an opposition fan if there was a £100mil to be spent on players then I would like Moyes to be the one spending it.

Rather him than Dalglish.:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Why was Carrick out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You do realise his spending made Everton finish above Liverpool the past two seasons yes?

He has an eye for quality but just needs a reality check about which club he's managing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Name these terrible players he overpaid for.

Just watching the goals from the City v Spurs game,it's amazing the difference a winger who actually attacks makes to a team.We have one but he can't get a game.Instead we depend on a kid,a guy who's afraid to go by a fullback & a 40 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Name these terrible players he overpaid for.

Fellaini :)

ah no, moyes hasn't really had big money before so he hasn't really wasted large sums, he's had more hits than misses for everton.

dfx- wrote: »
    Why was Carrick out?
    Injured. Another 4-5 weeks apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Moyes's tactics, player selections and substitutions during a game all STINK. As more than one has pointed out, he seems to have forgotten that United are historically a flair attacking team, and instilled a terrible (and unsuccessful) " what we have we hold" mentality. Clearly he is not helped by the long festering squad issues, but he has worsened them by some truly bizarre selections (Valencia every game, Giggs coming on every game), which serve to make our midfield even worse, if that were possible. I don't trust him with our club. And this from someone who supported his appointment. What Martinez has done with Everton ( in terms of style of play) speaks volumes. Moyes's success at Goodison appears to have been based on building a defensively solid team who could battle to win games. But with a United budget, the need for tactical nous is far more important. He has none. We are in trouble

Trilla wrote: »
    Hindsight is 20-20 but I genuinely think we would have held out if we had Carrick today. Definitely would have held on to the ball more today

I have to disagree,Cardiff were pressuring all our players,Carrick doesn't do well when that happens to him,besides even if he passed the ball to Cleverly or Valencia it'd be lost by them almost immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I said it earlier we have lost the fear factor.

Dunno. Moyes seems plenty scared whenever we go a goal up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Man utd dont try to hold onto what they have.
    They go for it and try to get as many goals as possible.

Moyes has got this all wrong since his appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I'd rather a complete overhaul of the tactics before buying anyone in January, not that much quality might even be available but even if there was, I'm not sure many players would make much difference if the tactics are as poor and pathetic as they are right now

zerks wrote: »
    I have to disagree,Cardiff were pressuring all our players,Carrick doesn't do well when that happens to him,besides even if he passed the ball to Cleverly or Valencia it'd be lost by them almost immediately.

I thought Fellaini particularly in the first half had a fair bit of room in the midfield... kept thinking to myself Carrick would have done better.

That, Evra being left on his on a lot on the left and Cleverley being average to poor were the things I picked up in first half.

Oh and Valencia being muck as he has all season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Injured. Another 4-5 weeks apparently.

Cost me 100 quid 20-1 ,,accum

Cost me 100 quid 20-1 ,,accum
    Hardly Carrick's fault :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I'd rather a complete overhaul of the tactics before buying anyone in January, not that much quality might even be available but even if there was, I'm not sure many players would make much difference if the tactics are as poor and pathetic as they are right now

New players are essential to a new tactical approach. Moyes may not be able to do what he wants given the last transfer window. He may not even be able to do what he did in the centre with Everton at UTD. He eventually had Fellaini playing a totally different role at Everton then the way he is being used with UTD but that would mean dropping Rooney which isn't going to happen.

Saying that he is overly cautious. He decided to bring Giggs on and sit on the lead too early. Fergie used to make those kind of calls in and around the 85min mark.

Carrick out is a major worry. Clev should not be out there and Fellaini is offering none of the threat he offered a Everton, although now playing a deeper role and I don't know how he faired there at Everton.

The idea of a 100m overhaul is not far off the mark. Take Rooney and RVP out of our side and we look borderline average. This is a hangover from the Fergie era so the blame cannot be laid firmly at Moyes feet.

We are only three points off 2nd so still in it. Its all about do Arsenal hit a bad run at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Hardly Carrick's fault :pac:

Ha dont know why it quoted you

We are only three points off 2nd so still in it. Its all about do Arsenal hit a bad run at some stage.

Honestly, with the December madness fixture period coming up and 5 other teams in the mix there is more to worry about than Arsenal.... especially Chelsea, City and Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think some of you United fans are panicking too much.
    If Rooney and Wellbeck had a little more composure near the end the score would have been 4 -- 2 and there would be little talk now.
    Having said that you do need at least 2 new midfield players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think some of you United fans are panicking too much.
    If Rooney and Wellbeck had a little more composure near the end the score would have been 4 -- 2 and there would be little talk now.
    Having said that you do need at least 2 new midfield players.

We are not panicking, we are just frustrated with how things are going.

Fcuk the results, forget them, its the performances that have been terrible and once again, against the mighty Cardiff City no less, the performance was fcuking dire.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement