Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Welbeck
    Cleverly
    Young
    Valencia
    Anderson
    Giggs

4 in Bold are players I would not lose too much sleep over if Sold.

Doubt Giggs will be sold. Been great servant and can still do a job. But against the likes of Hull and Norwich, not Madrid and Chelsea.

Welbeck(even though he annoys me) and Cleverly deserve more time. Least 18/19 months more imo.

Valencia still has that potiential. Just depends on if he can get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Valencia still has that potiential. Just depends on if he can get it back.

Its been over two years now since he has been anything but useless. Has there ever been a player who has been so bad for so long but still continues to play for a top club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Welbeck and Cleverley will remain at the club for many more years if they want to, imo.

At the very least, they are very good squad players. If they leave in the near future, it'll likely because they want to play regularly. But I'd be surprised if either left anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Would people agree that we six players listed below need to be sold? and if so do we need a direct six for six trade off ie six coming in for the six out?

Welbeck
    Cleverly
    Young
    Valencia
    Anderson
    Giggs

We have a poor MF and now our wings look average and considering we are a team focused on width its a major problem.

Essentially the wide element of our squad is close to becoming as poor as our MF.

Nani and Januzaj will help there but I've been saying it before Moyes came in that our squad has too many average players who start for us and would not get near the squads let alone the first team of other big clubs.
    Welbeck and Cleverley don't need to be sold. Both are squad options. I think Welbeck may yet develop into a first-team player but I don't quite have that hope for Cleverley. I'm willing to hold my nose on Valencia and keep him around as a fourth-choice winger but clearly Young is inadequate and another winger needs to be brought in. The centre of midfield has to be addressed over the next eighteen months. We need two starters and another player as cover/depth. Whether that's a youth teamer or a signing I don't know. You can add another midfield signing into the needed pile if/when Anderson goes too. I'm thinking Giggs might be replaced by Powell or Lingard next season so that's that replacement.

Our forward options are good. When our wingers are on form, we're fine there. We have young defenders to transition the old guard out apart from at left back. I'd like to see Fabio at least given a shot at that position but given the fact that he's seen no action at all so far and his injury record I'm very dubious as to the likelyhood of that happening. The facts are pretty stark, we need three first team players RIGHT NOW, for the centre of midfield and at left back. If Moyes can nurse us through to a Champions League place this season that'll do me. There's big work to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yeah I'd keep Welbeck and Clev. They are the new generation of Fletcher and O'Shea in that they will contribute as squad players and will give it their all. It also keeps within the tradition of the club to always have players produced by the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Doubt Giggs will be sold. Been great servant and can still do a job. But against the likes of Hull and Norwich, not Madrid and Chelsea.

Giggs will be on the coaching staff for years and at the club forever. I should have said retired for him.

The problem is Clev is used a more than a squad option. He partners in the MF a lot and with Carrick out and Fellainis op coming we will see a lot more of him.

Welbeck is getting about the game time he should but manages to disapoint when he does.

Four out then, and four in. 2 CMs and 2 wingers?

Pretty sure Baines will come in January and I think the defense can stay as it is for another season.

If we do have a bad season, Moyes will catch a lot of heat but I hope we operate differently and a lot of the poor players are gone before he is and he has at least a chance to build one squad of his own, that will take 2-3 season minimum.

Pretty sure Baines will come in January and I think the defense can stay as it is for another season.

If we spend any more than €10m on a 29 year old left back then as far as I am concerned it will be a ridiculously stupid transfer and yet another mistake by Moyes.

I would hope he is more adventurous in his transfer dealings than just raiding his old club once more, but then again this is the guy that tried to hold on for a draw against Cardiff City.

Moyes didn't make Evans bottle an offside press. Or stand on Ferdinand's shoulders so he couldn't jump. Today's on the players, one hundred percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

but then again this is the guy that tried to hold on for a draw against Cardiff City.

We didnt try to hold on for a draw. We were ahead when he made the substitutions, should have gone 3-1 up, and conceded the equaliser with 3 mins to go. Then we missed the most clear cut chance of the game to win it.

We were piss poor but saying Moyes tried to hang on for a draw is incorrect

Moyes didn't make Evans bottle an offside press. Or stand on Ferdinand's shoulders so he couldn't jump. Today's on the players, one hundred percent.

I agree, players have take lot of blame here.

Simple passes not finding their men etc too.

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    We didnt try to hold on for a draw. We were ahead when he made the substitutions, should have gone 3-1 up, and conceded the equaliser with 3 mins to go. Then we missed the most clear cut chance of the game to win it.

Hernandez and Januzaj off for Giggs and Wellbeck? Valencia rubbish yet again but Giggs and Wellbeck come on ahead of Nani? You are happy about those subs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Agree completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Rooney making a fool of himself on twitter
    should just be thankful he wasn't sent off

Hernandez and Januzaj off for Giggs and Wellbeck? Valencia rubbish yet again but Giggs and Wellbeck come on ahead of Nani? You are happy about those subs?
    Nani had played two playoff games. Welbeck had an effect once he came on. Giggs played two brilliant passes that should have been made more out of than they were.The result is disappointing but the logic isn't that much in question.
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Rooney making a fool of himself on twitter
    should just be thankful he wasn't sent off

Calling Souness out on his hypocrisy is "making a fool of himself" is it? Dead right about Tyler too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

The substitutions werent made to hold on for a draw. We were ahead when they were made. Hernandez and Januzaj were poor and needed to be replaced. No problem with Giggs and Welbeck coming on before Nani. He has done nothing this season. The facts are Giggs created the best chance of the game which Rooney missed and the substutions had nothing to do with Evra going to sleep for a set piece.

It was a mixutre. The players never got into a groove and no Vidic, RVP, Carrick and Kagawa didn't help either. Rooneys scuffed pass to Welbeck was a shocker, he should not have been on the pitch also. The ball dropping to Smalling from the corner too? he should have at least hit the target. Welbeck scuffed a chance too. Moyes has no control over these things

I think we would have seen Rooney and Kagawa start had he not injured his ankle.

The players struggled to create and Cardiff started to look dangerous. Both are goals were pretty lucky so Moyes decided to hold onto that luck but he did it way to early. That puts a lot of pressure on player, knowing they are going to have to defend well because your inviting the opposition to try break you down more.

The result was a let down but we are 3 points off second. Lets hope Arsenal get taken down a lot over Christmas. If Ozil and a couple of their players get injured they don't look so good.

Rooney should have been sent off. Full stop.

But Tyler never ****ing shut the **** up all game about it. I would have rather watched the game on no sound if I knew in advance.

"Rooney Lucky"
    "should he be on the field"

bla bla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Nani had played two playoff games. Welbeck had an effect once he came on. Giggs played two brilliant passes that should have been made more out of than they were.The result is disappointing but the logic isn't that much in question.

Calling Souness out on his hypocrisy is "making a fool of himself" is it? Dead right about Tyler too.
    if u kick out at someone u have to accept the criticism that is coming
    posting about the commentaters on the incident about not being fair is very childish

If we spend any more than €10m on a 29 year old left back then as far as I am concerned it will be a ridiculously stupid transfer and yet another mistake by Moyes.

I would hope he is more adventurous in his transfer dealings than just raiding his old club once more, but then again this is the guy that tried to hold on for a draw against Cardiff City.

Baines is almost a done deal at this stage and tbh I would love to see a bid for Ross Barkely go in. He looks like he will be a great player one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I agree, players have take lot of blame here.

Simple passes not finding their men etc too.

Everything starts with the manager, he has to set the tone and the players take the lead from him.

The way the team gets set up at times with the emphasis on holding on to what you have and inviting pressure will obviously leave the team open to more players making individual errors.

The players must take some blame when they make errors, but you have to look at why they are making them too sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Baines is almost a done deal at this stage and tbh I would love to see a bid for Ross Barkely go in. He looks like he will be a great player one day.

What makes you say that?

(If Barkley was a United player he would get some stick in here by the by :))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Hopefully the rumours that we are interested in Pjanic are true.Cleverly and Fellaini were poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

How many done deals were there in August?

If moyes has the strength to axe some dead wood, then my respect for him will rise. However, he's a yes man and not in the job long enough to feel like he has any authority so we will sink with this burden in the coming months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Rooney should have been sent off. Full stop.

But Tyler never ****ing shut the **** up all game about it. I would have rather watched the game on no sound if I knew in advance.

"Rooney Lucky"
    "should he be on the field"

bla bla

He sounded gutted and bitter when Rooney scored.

kryogen wrote: »
    Everything starts with the manager, he has to set the tone and the players take the lead from him.

The way the team gets set up at times with the emphasis on holding on to what you have and inviting pressure will obviously leave the team open to more players making individual errors.

The players must take some blame when they make errors, but you have to look at why they are making them too sometimes.

The buck stops with the manager, no doubt about it. As for setting the tone yes your right, but some things happen down there that come down to the individual. Rooneys scuffed pass was our game winner, he knew it by the way he held his head. This was after Giggs and Welbeck had come on. An individual error like that is on the player imo The bloddy kick too, he should have walked.

When you send them over the white line you hope they keep their cool and follow your instructions. As Jose said "Victory has many fathers, defeat only one" and we do celebrate the individual more than a manger after a victory, its not as balanced after a defeat and thats just how it is weighed up in the media, not right imo.
    kryogen wrote: »
    What makes you say that?

(If Barkley was a United player he would get some stick in here by the by :))

Well we bid for him in January and lots of reports of us going back in for him, where there is smoke.

Barkley getting stick? I don't know of a utd player that doesn't get it time to time

How many done deals were there in August?

If moyes has the strength to axe some dead wood, then my respect for him will rise. However, he's a yes man and not in the job long enough to feel like he has any authority so we will sink with this burden in the coming months.

Done in terms of us wanting him and him being willing to move and I'd be amazed if he doesn't play for us.

There is little chance Moyes will have a change of heart on him. I can understand some ppl wanting a younger LB but Baines is very good imo and will be playing at a high level for the next 3-4 seasons.

Moyes a yes man? Your joking right. Axed most of the backroom staff for his own coaches. From his Everton days too I'd say he is nothing like a yes man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

He didn't axe those coaches. They lost their jobs when fergie left...he just decided not to hire them back, essentially. If he worked with them for several months and then axed them...then I'd consider him a man with some back bone...but he didn't. He never even had to meet them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

We had chance after chance today, should have put the game to bed. Bad individual defending and poor finishing cost us. But let's be realistic, it was a last minute goal, not like we were outplayed all game. We were on top for the majority of the game. We are 3 points off second which is a lot better looking than it was 2 months ago. Yet people are still calling for half the squad to be sold and criticising Moyes. Get a grip

He didn't axe those coaches. They lost their jobs when fergie left...he just decided not to hire them back, essentially. If he worked with them for several months and then axed them...then I'd consider him a man with some back bone...but he didn't. He never even had to meet them.

Actually he did. He meet with Rene, Steel and Phelan and told them he would he bringing his own staff. He also meet with Fergie, listened to and then ignored his advise to keep the current staff and he told the outgoing staff as much.

It doesn't get much further away from a yes man than going against Fergies advise knowing you will be seeing him around the club and telling people as much.

Talking about him having no backbone when you clearly don't know what went on is something that is happening a lot on here. A few push this idea of Moyes doing stuff wrong that he clearly didn't and ppl are happy to lap it up, especially after a poor result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Unless massive signings are made City and Chelsea will pull clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

dunno how on earth people in the last page reckon Giggs should be sold (or even retired). Not that i disagree entirely but hardly fair to bring it up based on todays performance.

He had more creativity in his little finger for the 17 mins he was on the field than Fellaini, Cleverly, Valencia had combined.

Two moments of genuine creative class, one of which was one of the balls of the season to Rooney on a sixpence.

I dont often agree with Shearer/Savage but they had it spot on. Giggs showed at nearly 40 how utterly out of their depth the rest of them are.

Fellaini has oodles of time to come good but he'd wanna start showing something. He's turning into UTDs version of Joe Allen. Over-rated and over-valued at a smaller team, big money transfer and they both (to date) have done nothing for their respective teams other than pass the ball sideways and backwards non stop and been utterly ineffective.

Moyes needs to sort out what he wants Fellaini to be. If his role is DM to protect the back 4 then he's not doing that well enough. If his role is to link midfield to attack then he's not doing that (at all). All he's currently doing is floating around midfield playing it simple and not effecting the game.

I remain convinced to this day if Fellaini had a Denis Irwin haircut he wouldn't be at Old Trafford and certainly not for £27.5m. His mop of hair draws the eye and even at Everton when he had poor games you'd think he was everywhere around the park as you're drawn to the hair.

I've always felt he's an above average Shelvey with a mop of hair. He's plenty of time to prove the doubters wrong but for that amount of money you don't get a free pass from early criticism. This is not a player new to the Premier League. He doesn't get the "time to adapt" to the style of play free pass. He needs to sort it out and quick or he's risking becoming the biggest "flop" since Veron.

As for Cleverly i've no idea what he has over Moyes and Hodgson but he must have something on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

dunno how on earth people in the last page reckon Giggs should be sold (or even retired). Not that i disagree entirely but hardly fair to bring it up based on todays performance.

He had more creativity in his little finger for the 17 mins he was on the field than Fellaini, Cleverly, Valencia had combined.

Two moments of genuine creative class, one of which was one of the balls of the season to Rooney on a sixpence.

I dont often agree with Shearer/Savage but they had it spot on. Giggs showed at nearly 40 how utterly out of their depth the rest of them are.

Fellaini has oodles of time to come good but he'd wanna start showing something. He's turning into UTDs version of Joe Allen. Over-rated and over-valued at a smaller team, big money transfer and they both (to date) have done nothing for their respective teams other than pass the ball sideways and backwards non stop and been utterly ineffective.

Moyes needs to sort out what he wants Fellaini to be. If his role is DM to protect the back 4 then he's not doing that well enough. If his role is to link midfield to attack then he's not doing that (at all). All he's currently doing is floating around midfield playing it simple and not effecting the game.

I remain convinced to this day if Fellaini had a Denis Irwin haircut he wouldn't be at Old Trafford and certainly not for £27.5m. His mop of hair draws the eye and even at Everton when he had poor games you'd think he was everywhere around the park as you're drawn to the hair.

I've always felt he's an above average Shelvey with a mop of hair. He's plenty of time to prove the doubters wrong but for that amount of money you don't get a free pass from early criticism. This is not a player new to the Premier League. He doesn't get the "time to adapt" to the style of play free pass. He needs to sort it out and quick or he's risking becoming the biggest "flop" since Veron.

As for Cleverly i've no idea what he has over Moyes and Hodgson but he must have something on them.

So a player moving from a team that plays defensive football and had him as a striker for the last year shouldn't be given time to adapt to a deeper role at a much higher level? He clearly has quality. He's big but still has some pace and good first touch and passing.

The team are still playing pretty much exactly like they did under Fergie just aren't showing the same intensity to put teams away and thus aren't getting the rub of the green. Moyes is trying to do the right thing playing Kagawa and Januzaj who cut inside and offer another option but still hasn't figured out that Valencia is offering nothing on the right when he's miles away from everyone and seemingly incapable of bringing the ball forward. There was a distinct lack of leadership today and there has to be repercussions for some of the simple passes that are going badly astray, nothing Moyes can really do about that. Rooney needs to be more vocal, he clearly has the quality to drag the team up but seems a lot more in his shell this season. He needs to be the leader going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The evra interview was worrying, didn't created anything and felt a goal coming.

There's definitely lack of belief, felaini was not the player needed, tactics all wrong. Moyes is out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

you might as well Tony Hibbert while your at it or just buy out Bill Kenwright it would be easier/cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Good to see Welbeck finally getting some stick, I just couldn't believe it when he came on, I said it to my wife, I bet you he'll get a good chance and miss it. He never seems to test the keeper his shots are always wide or tame efforts. I would have rather Young come on for him and that's saying something. Worrying times ahead.

How Valencia is still getting a game is beyond me. He hasn't resembled a player since 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

surprised to see so many people turn on Moyes after that, didnt expect that at all. it was no different to any other game this season, lethargic, sloppy and weak, but it looked as if we were going to get the win. very poor defending again and it seems the lack of belief just is not there under Moyes which is the real worry. our creativity is just shocking, but the team selection cannot be criticised as we have 3 away games this week and have some injuries so ive no problem with the team. Nani, Vidic, Rafael, Kagawa and RVP better be available for Spurs.

i said 4 points was the minimum from these two games, so a win against Spurs now will make up for yesterday. but yesterday just brought the reason i was so pissed off all summer to light, the lack of creativity was just shocking & Moyes deserves all the slack in the world for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

The next two transfer windows will be the making or breaking of Moyes at OT imo, he needs to sort out some well documented areas and let his team start to take shape.

If he gets a CL place this season and brings in a 3/4 players he needs to improve drastically next season.Most fans will wait till end of next season to pass overall judgement on Moyes's reign

Champions League football is a minimum requirement this season, if that doesn't happen, then Moyes will have to go. Turning a title winning team into a Europa League team will not be a good achievement. If that happens the Fans will baying for blood come April.

It will make it even worse that it looks like Liverpool will be the main challengers for the top 4 outside of the usual suspects.

Champions League football is a minimum requirement this season, if that doesn't happen, then Moyes will have to go. Turning a title winning team into a Europa League team will not be a good achievement. If that happens the Fans will baying for blood come April.

It will make it even worse that it looks like Liverpool will be the main challengers for the top 4 outside of the usual suspects.

Just goes to show how good Ferguson is to be honest. He got so much out of a squad full of average players. To be honest i don't even know if mourinho would have us performing much better. Looking at yesterday just look at the midfield Cleverley, Valencia so average and Fellaini who just doesn't know what he is to do. In comparison to City and Chelsea they have so much more quality in their first 11 it's scary. United really need to break out this war chest we keep hearing about.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    The next two transfer windows will be the making or breaking of Moyes at OT imo, he needs to sort out some well documented areas and let his team start to take shape.

If he gets a CL place this season and brings in a 3/4 players he needs to improve drastically next season.Most fans will wait till end of next season to pass overall judgement on Moyes's reign

I would be happy for finishing 4th once a transition takes place. Once the likes of Young, Valencia, Anderson are gone and people like Giggs, Cleverley and Buttner are nowhere near starting 11 team sheets. I will call for blood if come next season we still see these average at best players still involved in a team with title aspirations. Being honest i don't even think Moyes realised how poor some of the players are in the team. If we can keep in touch until January and bring in some good signings until the season is over. Maybe try get in Dembele and Lallana while not world class would help towards challenging in the league and try towards world class signings in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

In fairness I've all been about the calm for Moyes etc. but premature to contemplate not qualifying for champions league football, and if that happened, well he would need to go. Regardless of what we think yada yada, this is a squad capable of winning the premier league.

The league isn't won playing the big teams, it's won beating the minnows, and we are dropping points way to much. The players should be taking most of the blame here, they have just been pants. I thought it was a blip but genuinelly worried after yesterday.

Wondering when Moyes is going to come out of his shell, lash the lot of them out of it and then get us back on track.

Like I said yesterday Moyes should be allowed to build at least one squad, use it and then be judged. Fergie rebuilt how many?

Bringing Januzaj into the first team, along with buying Fellaini and Kag being used wide and cutting are pointers or where he might like to go with the team. He'll need a couple of players in Janaury and maybe three in the summer before he can put his stamp on things.

Saying that I feel Moyes has the full back of all senior managment at OT whether the fans like it or not, especially with Fergie still around and a lot of players will go before Moyes.

Besides Moyes negativity and trying to hold onto the lead way too early yesterday a real lack of discipline with the players was seen. Rooney could have been off very early, it was a petulant act and could have put the whole team on the back foot. What was he thinking? Really silly. The Smalling tackle for the free kick which led to the equaliser was another poor move. He should have run the player inot the corner.

I'm not sure whether we can hang all of that on Moyes or the players just lost their sh1t, especially the Rooney one but he needs to have a word. I don't think Moyes is a soft touch either and I hope he's not holding back with the hairdryer.

MOTD2 did a good breakdown of our central midfeild pairing. They didn't come off well. Of all the passes Clev made only the short and square to the side passes and the backwards passes came off, all the forward passes he tried were unsuccessful. Fellaini was similiar but a little better, what it did show was Fellainis unwillingness to go forward into space, he was happy to sqaure the ball rather than push on. Whether this is instructed by Moyes or he is having trouble doing what he did at Everton or maybe he is now in a team with big egos and is not as dominant a figure he was at Everton is anyones guess.

Evras interview was revealling and I hope he looks at himself hard because he was not great for the equaliser. It seems the team as a whole are a lot more cautious in attack.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I would be happy for finishing 4th once a transition takes place. Once the likes of Young, Valencia, Anderson are gone and people like Giggs, Cleverley and Buttner are nowhere near starting 11 team sheets. I will call for blood if come next season we still see these average at best players still involved in a team with title aspirations. Being honest i don't even think Moyes realised how poor some of the players are in the team. If we can keep in touch until January and bring in some good signings until the season is over. Maybe try get in Dembele and Lallana while not world class would help towards challenging in the league and try towards world class signings in the summer.

Moves for Dembele and Lallana will not keep the faithfull happy, these are the type of January transfer's we need to avoid, stop gap's and god knows we have enough of that type of player.

On reflection actually if Dembele and another CM came then we might plug the gaping hole in midfield and get some creativity going.

The current squad is winger heavy imo and we know from Everton that Moyes does not favour out and out wingers so the like s of Young and possibly Nani may go this summer and more players that like to cut inside rather than head down the line like a steamboat will come in

I'm not sure whether we can hang all of that on Moyes or the players just lost their sh1t, especially the Rooney one but he needs to have a word. I don't think Moyes is a soft touch either and I hope he's not holding back with the hairdryer.

I think we have seen with Young that he is willing to show a firm hand with players so i personally have no fear there.

As for Cleverly he is best in a 3 man midfield, he does a job and he will be kept imo as he looks happy with his role at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Bill Foulkes has passed away aged 81

RIP

What realistic MF targets would people like to see arrive in January?

Moves for Dembele and Lallana will not keep the faithfull happy, these are the type of January transfer's we need to avoid, stop gap's and god knows we have enough of that type of player.

On reflection actually if Dembele and another CM came then we might plug the gaping hole in midfield and get some creativity going.

The current squad is winger heavy imo and we know from Everton that Moyes does not favour out and out wingers so the like s of Young and possibly Nani may go this summer and more players that like to cut inside rather than head down the line like a steamboat will come in

I really don't see how you think these wouldn't make people happy. Lallana has been in the top 6 or 7 performers so far this season. He is not young but he would certainly improve moving to a bigger club. Dembele would walk into our first team. United rarely sign big name players these would be two big signings for January.

But if we can weed out the likes of Valencia, Young and Anderson and replace them with Lallana and Dembele the squad will improve massively. You are never going to make big name signings in January but we can hopefully add some life into the squad. Fergie was just the master of getting the best out of players. But when you have a games pile up your going to drop points when your relying on Anderson, Cleverley, Young, Valencia and Buttner and Giggs.

On the out and out wingers i agree with this it's why i think he wanted Baines so bad. For all the work Evra does going forward he is a poor crosser same as Valencia. If we got Baines and Rafael as wing backs it would work well. They would be the two best crossers of the ball allowed get forward with Carrick sitting deep covering the. Then give Kagawa a free role to roam around with like he gave Piennar and Mirallas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Evras interview was revealling and I hope he looks at himself hard because he was not great for the equaliser. It seems the team as a whole are a lot more cautious in attack.

Evra was a disgrace for that goal, he didn't bother his ar$e marking his man, the smallest man on the pitch. He is playing like a man who knows he is going/going to be replaced. Welbeck, Young, Cleverly and Valencia and all the other usual targets on internet forums around the world can be as sh!t as you like but when an experienced international defender refuses to mark his man at set pieces from which any team, no matter how lowly, can be dangerous, you are always going to be p!ssing into the wind.

I'm not sure I agree with his interview either, such a public profession of weak mindedness is not good. It's not good for his younger team mates to hear and it's not good for future opposition to hear. I hope he's pulled up on it.

Edit: You could level criticism at Moyes for such a public attempt at replacing Evra, the Baines thing was one thing but the last minute pop for Contraeo can't have been good for Evras confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

eigrod wrote: »
    Bill Foulkes has passed away aged 81

RIP

Just heard, very sad news. A legend to the club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement