Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

GSPfan wrote: »
    I wish United were a bit more ruthless with players. The amount of non performers is shocking. Its bad to watch and it doesnt look like United will get any decent signings in January.
    January before a World Cup should get players moving so hopefully we can get rid of a few and add a few but I doubt it.

Have to be careful we dont leave ourself short in the event of injuries etc.

I think Sunday showed a glaring issue that if we loose a player like Carrick who is lovely at keeping things ticking over and ball retention, we turn into a team that is a bit like a headless chicken.

Cleverly is trying to hard I think, hes getting alot of press from being in the England teams for some unknown reason, and there is alot of "not good enough" following him around lately.

Felt he was trying to do things too quickly yesterday. We looked like we wanted to be lightning and just play a high tempo, but the players were sloppy and lost possession to much because of it. Glaringly there was an incident where Cleverly hit a stray pass backward that led to a Cardiff chance.

I understand everyones frustrations and negativity, I'm just not going to subscribe to doomsday stuff yet. Anyone with a brain knew there would be problems this season, and I must admit I forget I'm not dealing with a team ran by SAF. And the immediate reaction is one of frustration. And we have to appreciate the effect this change has on the club and its players, I guess its inevitble that it will take some time for all things to settle.

In fairness Moyes has spent the last how every many years, at a club with a team that when they got a lead, they would take a step back and then he would need to bolster up with defensive players to secure the win. I'm not saying he is doing that, but it can be hard to shake of that reaction, especially when he sees our squad getting leads then regressing.

Hopefully the team can get back to being ruthless and when going 1 up, hunt for the second and third. And hopefully Moyes can hold himself from making the negative substitutions to secure a win, rather then ensure it.

The league is mental this year, so much change, so much surprising results, but it's going to be whoever settles down quickest will win the league. Whatever squad takes on the managers instructions, and whatever manager adepts himself quickest to his new position.

This is a REALLY good opportunity for Moyes to get his first league title under his belt. Next year will be harder. While he might settle and be more comfortable, so will Chelsea and City, Arsenal will no doubt bolster and Liverpool might think they are back in the thick of things. Spurs will react based on their finish this season. They have a top coach, they are building something that isn't clicking right now, but it could.

In theory next season could have a serious title race with alot of contenders. Whoever gets the league this season will be VERY comfortable coming into next season, with the confidence of having done it.

You can't expect miracles, I backed us to win the league this year, if we don't thats fine aslong as we are competing. But at the same time when you look at the state of things, if he can nip the title this year it sets him up lovely, if not, it might be tough to wriggle it away from whoever gets it.

Get the feeling there is a real and purposeful chance for a new Premier League dynasty to be set in the next few years. And I'm sure all the top clubs see it the same way. Alot of people are dismissive when people compare Moyes and SAF starts and entrances to Old Trafford. One could argue Moyes has the tougher task. Defending an empire can be alot tougher then building one...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Just out of interest, is there anyone on this thread who thinks Utd have a genuine chance of winning the premiership this year based on everything we have seen in the last 3 months?

At this stage I will honestly be delighted if Utd finish 2nd/3rd within single digit points of the winners.

If things continue going the way they have we will be in real danger of missing out on champs league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Quandary wrote: »
    Just out of interest, is there anyone on this thread who thinks Utd have a genuine chance of winning the premiership this year based on everything we have seen in the last 3 months?

on the last 3 months, no, but this is United and have a history of being there when it matters. we can win the league, but my god we dont look like it now.

realistically, who ever wins the league at the moment will be the poorest champions in years and the standard is so so poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Absolutely no chance. Top 4 is the priority now.

Quandary wrote: »

At this stage I will honestly be delighted if Utd finish 2nd/3rd within single digit points of the winners.

If things continue going the way they have we will be in real danger of missing out on champs league.

I backed the team at the start, still feel we can.

It's not blind fanboism stuff, I just felt that coming into the season which the three main contenders changing managers, we were better equipped to win it being defending champions and having some seasoned pros.

As I said above, we are a point behind City who are devastating at home, we have been pretty lethargic so far, and still..one point behind.

I feel Liverpool and Arsenal will drop of and either ourselves or City will pickup the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Definite possibility of the, expect top 3 tbh. Think that while this years champs may look bad atm the overall quality of this season is pretty high. Teams are more likely to go risky lately and it's shown with the upsets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Homer makes a good point about Kompany and how he expects them to be stronger. He projects they will be and its a pretty safe assumption to make given how they preform when Kompany plays in the first team.

Again these are projections of what might happen. We were without Vidic, RVP, Kagawa and Carrick yesterday.

Not to point out the obvious, but...

We know City will be stronger when Kompany is back because when Kompany has played this season, against us for example, City looked a much more solid side.

But on the other hand, we have played this season with Vidic, RVP, Kagawa and Carrick and still looked as rubbish as we did yesterday. Cardiff was just more of the same.

Thats kinda why these projections seem to be a safe bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Course we can win the league.

Would I back half my savings on it? No chance... But anyone giving us 0% chance are being drama queens.

A lot still to play for.

Gun to my head I'd say we'll finish 3rd, prob 6 to 10 points off winners

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

TheDoc wrote: »
    I backed the team at the start, still feel we can.

It's not blind fanboism stuff, I just felt that coming into the season which the three main contenders changing managers, we were better equipped to win it being defending champions and having some seasoned pros.

As I said above, we are a point behind City who are devastating at home, we have been pretty lethargic so far, and still..one point behind.

I feel Liverpool and Arsenal will drop of and either ourselves or City will pickup the title.

If Fergie was at the helm I would still have a lot of faith but I just cannot see Moyes squeezing the best out of our more mediocre players.

With Carrick out, I wouldn't be surprised if we were more than 10 points off pole position at Xmas time.

I think the most worrying thing is the overall performance of the team since Moyes took over. We seem to be looking to individuals to create moments of magic.

There honestly hasn't been a single performance this year where I felt we were playing as a cohesive team.

I'm not calling for Moyes head. I fully expected a shaky start but there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

on the last 3 months, no, but this is United and have a history of being there when it matters. we can win the league, but my god we dont look like it now.

realistically, who ever wins the league at the moment will be the poorest champions in years and the standard is so so poor.

I think it's the opposite, the overall standard of the league is better than ever. A team like Sunderland can beat a team like City, with players like Johnson who a City star a few years ago. A team like Southampton being in the top 4. West. Brom. beating United and close to ending Mourinho's home league no defeat streak.

The fact that no team is strolling like Barca do in Spain is a sign of a strong league rather than a weak one, also a much more entertaining and interesting one.

• Advertisement

Trilla wrote: »
    Course we can win the league.

Would I back half my savings on it? No chance... But anyone giving us 0% chance are being drama queens.

A lot still to play for.

Gun to my head I'd say we'll finish 3rd, prob 6 to 10 points off winners

That putting City and Chelsea ahead of us, or ?

Alot of people put Chelsea as a big threat, have to say that without an inform striker, regardless of what they try concoct, its going to cost them a chance. I'd say if we don't win it, we will finish second to City.

But we are being mightly pre-emptive, the way the seasons going it's making plenty of people, me included, look like mugs.

If Arsenal come through Xmas free of damage, their chances amplify. But playing games in quick succession might take it's toll. Their squad looks thin on quality past the first 11.

Liverpool are doing well and similar to Arsenal, I think fatigue/injury might take its toll. But fair play to them, they have finally taken a calmer approach and more realistic one with a manager and are making ground. But typical liverpool fashion anytime Rogers makes a cocky comment they lose.

Spurs are having that struggle to gel, but I really like AVB and they got some quality players, feel it's only a matter of time.

City while getting some good signings, still haven't addressed that CB problem. Having to bring Kompany back into the mix with a busy schedule ahead might cause another breakdown. IF Pellegrini sorts out his selections and tactics away from home, could make a real move to the summit of the table.

Chelsea have an overwhelming depth of talent in the midfield AMC areas, but completely lacking a striker. The sort of player that will bag a goal to get a result in a tight spot. And outlet. Might come back to haunt them.

Then ourselves, pretty poor and disjointed so far but still hanging on the coat tails, can only assume it will eventually click and we can make a charge forward.

It's a big IF, but it gives good hope being somewhat in touch with Arsenal at this stage, and yet not really kicking into gear. And who knows, we always had a legacy of turning on the fireworks second half of the season, do it this year, might drag us over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

TheDoc wrote: »

If Arsenal come through Xmas free of damage, their chances amplify. But playing games in quick succession might take it's toll. Their squad looks thin on quality past the first 11.
    Vermaelan, Podolski, Wilshere, Walcott, Flamini, Rosicky etc to call upon from the bench is hardly thin on quality to be fair.

if fergie and rene were still involved, i think not only would we win the league, but we would be 5 or 6 points clear at the moment and about 12 or 13 points more than what we have now.

i feel possibly the same if we had Jose either, as i believe having a big name like him would have helped to get in the players we badly needed during the summer.

if fergie and rene were still involved, i think not only would we win the league, but we would be 5 or 6 points clear at the moment and about 12 or 13 points more than what we have now.

i feel possibly the same if we had Jose either, as i believe having a big name like him would have helped to get in the players we badly needed during the summer.

Jose failed to get the player he badly wanted and Chelsea needed in the summer . . .

Rooney_1711416a.jpg

. . . thanks to David Moyes! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The way we are playing and grinding out results won't last forever, there'll come a point where our crap performances will get the results they deserve, it's inevitable.

That's why most, including myself, want to see some kind of improvement as the weeks go by, but in fairness we've not improved.

We're going to be in big trouble if the performances aren't improved on soon enough, unless you're Fergie, you just can't be expecting to win league titles playing as badly as we have the majority of this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

i wouldnt be too sure about that. this time 12 months ago we were playing just as bad but RVP was in such fine form that he won us games we didnt deserve to win. this year he has had a fair few knocks which has kept him out of a fair few games. also we have missed carrick a bit lately and has not been anywhere near the form he was last year and rafael has missed alot too. that 3 of our best players from last year not being involved enough.

i do think that maybe some of our lesser players fergie may have motivated better than moyes seems to be but thats impossible to tell for sure.

if it was city stood where arsenal stand i would say its probably over but as it stands i dont see arsenal keeping it up. i could be proven wrong but arsenal have had a lot of false challenges over the last 10 years only to drop off and go on terrible runs that im not afraid of them running away with it(for now).

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Vermaelan, Podolski, Wilshere, Walcott, Flamini, Rosicky etc to call upon from the bench is hardly thin on quality to be fair.

Most of which are suffering injury and serious at that. If we are looking at the December/January period where games come thick and fast, putting someone in there can easily lead them to breaking down again.

Flamini and Rosicky are about the only two who are going to be actually able to assist around the Xmas period. which I think is a major and crucial point for us to regain lost ground.

Even past that, Podolski and Walcott coming back from serious inuries will take a good few games to come back to the forefront, thats easily 4-5 games.

Their squad is thin, it's very thing. Their only rotation for Giroud is Bendtner :(

In ten days in December City have:

PL West Brom v Man City Wed 4 Dec 20:00
    PL Southampton v Man City Sat 7 Dec 15:00
    CL Bayern Munich v Man City Tue 10 Dec 19:45
    PL Man City v Arsenal Sat 14 Dec 12:45

These 4 games will give a good indication of where City are at.

Their final 7 games of the season include away games to Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton.

There are still 26 games left in the season; a lot of twists are yet to come!

magnumbud wrote: »
    i wouldnt be too sure about that. this time 12 months ago we were playing just as bad but RVP was in such fine form that he won us games we didnt deserve to win.

Ronaldo, Strootman and Thiago could and probably would be United players now if we still had Fergie but lets not go there....

• Advertisement

In ten days in December City have:

PL West Brom v Man City Wed 4 Dec 20:00
    PL Southampton v Man City Sat 7 Dec 15:00
    CL Bayern Munich v Man City Tue 10 Dec 19:45
    PL Man City v Arsenal Sat 14 Dec 12:45

These 4 games will give a good indication of where City are at.

Their final 7 games of the season include away games to Arsenal, Liverpool and Everton.

There are still 26 games left in the season; a lot of twists are yet to come!

in terms of PL city never really have a problem getting motivated for the "big" games but you dont know what to expect from them against the "small" teams especially away from home. i think its a case alot of there players have an attitude problem of we are better and so deserve to win. so for them the toughest of those games will likely be the first two. however considering they are through already unless it decides who tops the group i cant see them putting a full strength team out against bayern

Ronaldo, Strootman and Thiago could and probably would be United players now if we still had Fergie but lets not go there....

you have no idea on that. you can speculate but ronaldo may always have signed a new deal with madrid. as for the other 2 i dont know what happened with strootman but again i would be fairly sure thiago would still have gone to bayern to be with pep.

you know you dont have to look back too far to see when fergie missed out on targets. missed out on hazard and lucas last summer to name just 2. im not criticizing fergie for that but to state that they could and probably would be united players if fergie was still there is just speculative at best

:eek: You just went there! :pac:
    magnumbud wrote: »
    in terms of PL city never really have a problem getting motivated for the "big" games but you dont know what to expect from them against the "small" teams especially away from home. i think its a case alot of there players have an attitude problem of we are better and so deserve to win. so for them the toughest of those games will likely be the first two. however considering they are through already unless it decides who tops the group i cant see them putting a full strength team out against bayern

They will be risking a hammering if they don't field their best available 11 against Bayern, and it will be the top spot decider. I think the aggregate score trumps the overall goal difference, and City trail 1-3. Image is all important to City's owners, they are an expensive advertising campaign for the Emirates and competing against the likes of Bayern is what they want for their brand.

I think this has a lot to do with their away form too, home games at the Ethiad seem to be their priority; I suspect there are big incentives given for good performances at the Ethiad! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Why are you so confused, do you need me to explain my previous post for you?
    i think 90% of people here reading this discussion are able to understand it, so that says more about you than me.

Actually, it says you are willing to speak for 90% of the people on this forum, whereas I am not.

if you think my posts are odd then feel free to send me a PM with these odd posts in the interest of clarification, (but at the same time not bringing willy waving into the forum to annoy other posters) and ill clarify the ones you cant understand for you.

I'm not disagreeing with you that City have outperformed us this season, there is no willy waving, I agree with your point, I just think statement's like this are silly and cryptic.
    you are being as naive as it comes if you think that the league table is reflective of how they and us are going...its not.

Instead of actually EXPLAINING your point of view, you just take the time to insult the other posters POV without actually adding anything of particular value to the conversation, such as a logical reason as to why the table isn't reflective of how us and city are doing.(because it is reflective of that, that's what it does.)

Homergate

Kind of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

So Fergie, who hadn't signed a Midfielder since like 06 would have signed two of the biggest CM targets and the best player in the world if he stayed in charge. Ooookkkkayyyyy

abe-simpson-gif.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

No on Ronaldo and Thiago.

Strootman? He is only rated 79 on FIFA, do not want :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Today is a truly sad day for the club Losing a icon like Bill Foulkes.

To have played over 600 games in his time at the club is some acheivement and is every bit as impressive as Giggs reign when you consider the levels of fitness and the game was more contact based back then.

Today is also the 8th anniversary of George Best.

and sadly more bad news in that Nobby Stiles has been diagnosed with prostate cancer today. Im sure I speak for all United supporters in wishing a legend the very best

Bill and Nobby side by side.

soccer-bill-foulkes-file-photo-390x285.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

There are obituaries in The Telegraph, The Mirror and the Guardian. Brian Glanville wrote the one in The Guardian and it's the pick of them in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Fergie failed to sign a middle of the park player for 3 or 4 years and you think he would have signed 2 in the summer:confused:. He had plenty of opportunity to sign Strootman but didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Ronaldo? Not a chance of that. Please.

• Advertisement

stop quoting him :)

Joke
    and sadly more bad news in that Nobby Stiles has been diagnosed with prostate cancer today. Im sure I speak for all United supporters in wishing a legend the very best

Janey didn't hear about this. Tis a sad day alright. He was some nut from the vids I saw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Seriously.
    Are you on a wind up?
    Just like when he signed Ronaldinho, Hazard and Mata.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Our scouts are watching Herrera tonight, he's doing pretty well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Our scouts are watching Herrera tonight, he's doing pretty well too.

Just dont get that supposed interests from utd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Headshot wrote: »

Could be there watching someone else, Munain? He is a good player (Herrera) but I am not gone on spending big money on him. The money could certainly be put to better use surely

Not to mention the Bilbao chairman has said that United know the release clause and he won't be negotiating.

Blowing 30m on him after Fellaini would be suicide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Fúck saaaaake why did Khedira have to get injured?!

He would have been perfect. Great player.

Yesterday proved just how much we miss Carrick.

Had you told me 3 years ago I be saying this I tell you have mental health issues.

Ah heeeyor. This is actually comical if you believe what you've just written.

I think you need to take a break from thinking about Man United all the time. It's not doing you any good from what I can see.

Like the loch Ness monster

• Advertisement

Like the loch Ness monster

Don't get it. Please explain further.

kryogen wrote: »
    Could be there watching someone else, Munain? He is a good player (Herrera) but I am not gone on spending big money on him. The money could certainly be put to better use surely

I'm tired of seeing so many average players at utd, I don't want another

Buying Khedira and Fellaini and having Carrick would be pretty stupid.

It was either Khedira or Fellaini and we got the latter.

I think we're looking for a more attacking midfielder now, Ander doesn't cut it from what I've seen, but maybe he's annoyed he didn't get a move I don't know, I'd settle for Dembele at a low price.

The perfect buy would be Gundogan or Fabregas but there's very little hope in either coming to us.

If we dont get Ronaldo, dont worry.

A few bids for Iniesta and Messi wont go astray;)

Don't get it. Please explain further.

It's a myth that he's a great player. One of the most limited cms in the Madrid team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He's a Spanish midfielder. That alone makes him about 700 times better than Cleverley or Anderson.

Sign him up.

Anderson has to go in January.

Why Moyes kept him on if he aint going to get lookin is beyond me.

It's a myth that he's a great player. One of the most limited cms in the Madrid team

I'll start with your second sentence. Even if he was one of the most limited central midfielders in Madrid's team, then he'd still be miles better than anything we have.

He is a fantastic player. If anything, I'd say he's underrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If Fergie was still here he would have signed George Best, a Unicorn and the Prophet Mohammed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

If Fergie was still here he would have signed George Best, a Unicorn and the Prophet Mohammed.

Pics or gtfo!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement