Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

If Fergie and Gill where there we would have gotten a CM, unluckily for Moyes who wanted one or 2 Woodward was doing a awful job trying to sign said players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Buying Khedira and Fellaini and having Carrick would be pretty stupid.

It was either Khedira or Fellaini and we got the latter.

I think we're looking for a more attacking midfielder now, Ander doesn't cut it from what I've seen, but maybe he's annoyed he didn't get a move I don't know, I'd settle for Dembele at a low price.

The perfect buy would be Gundogan or Fabregas but there's very little hope in either coming to us.

I'd still take the Khedster if he was fit and willing to come. Fellaini hasn't exactly hit the ground running and Carrick could be on the wane; I certainly don't think we should expect to be able to rely on him for almost every game the way we did last season. If we sold/gave away Anderson ,and brought in Khedira, that would leave us with Carrick, Clev, Fellaini, and Khedira. Still room for an attacking midfielder there, and tbh I think we are still in need of two cms.

We've been relying on Phil Jones to do a job in cm recently, which should not be happening at Manchester United. Jones needs to play at cb.

Also we haven't replaced Fletcher, who I would give at best a 5% shot at making it back to his previous level, and even then he would need twice the recovery after every game. Khedira could be his replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Benfica have put a £20m tag on Manchester United target Nemanja Matic, 25, who never started a match for Chelsea during his two years at Stamford Bridge.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Brazilian winger Everton Ribeiro, 24, has admitted he would like to secure 'dream' £7m move to Manchester United.

Full story: Daily Star

Some goss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Some goss.

Chelsea bought Matic for £1.5m in 2009 and gave him, plus £21m, to Benfica for Luiz in 2011! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Danye

If Fergie and Gill where there we would have gotten a CM, unluckily for Moyes who wanted one or 2 Woodward was doing a awful job trying to sign said players!

That's a cop out on Moyes part. He's the manager of the football team. If he wants players to improve his team it's up to him to get it done. He should of been forcing the issue with Woodward.

As for Moyes, well I've stated before that I didn't think he was the man for the job. I obviously had to support him but from all that I've seen so far I'm utterly convinced that he's not the man and the position is too big for him.

His team selections and tactics are awful. We looked like a team in a relagation fight towards the end of the game on Sunday, terrified and clinging on for dear life.

We've gone backwards and everybody around us has moved forwards. As it stands we won't get CL football next season. That would be a disaster.

What positives has Moyes brought to the club? What is his footballing philosphy? At the minute we look like a long ball team, with now creativity who are terrified of loosing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Yet it's been needed for years and they never did? There's no convincing that this season would have been any different if he was still there, big difference is Fergies teams won games and obvious issues like cm were ignored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I'm pretty sure Moyes will get it right in the end, just not sure how long it'll take. The financial muscle, fanbase, etc is there so the Utd job shouldn't be that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

I'm pretty sure Moyes will get it right in the end, just not sure how long it'll take. The financial muscle, fanbase, etc is there so the Utd job shouldn't be that difficult.

not sure if srs?

the fanbase will help him learn how to win things?

the 'financial muscle' is going on everton players.

he plays and always did play **** on a st!ck football.

How anyone thinks he can suddenly change that is beyond me.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Yet it's been needed for years and they never did? There's no convincing that this season would have been any different if he was still there, big difference is Fergies teams won games and obvious issues like cm were ignored

With Scholes retiring again im pretty sure Fergie would have replaced him, though I think Rooney would have been gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Soups123 wrote: »

this year they had no choice, they had to spent big on CM. in the last 2 seasons, they lost Scholes, Gibson & Pogba, added to fletchers woes and hargreaves contract running out, that was 5 players for CM that had left in a very short space of time - the wages were there, the funds were there, the problems were there. the only difference is Moyes wanted the likes of Fabegas/Herrara and Fellani, Ferguson wanted the likes of Thiago and Strootman. different players, but same problem addressed.

lets be fair a bit to fergie in the sense that at least in his opinion he signed 2 CM players last summer in Powell and Kagawa and pulled out of a creative player in Hazard only due to the crazy agent fees. doesnt change the fact that the problem still wasnt addressed, but this summer he had no choice, he had to buy players in there and i am fully sure he would have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It's easier on the mental health lads if you just accept this season as a write off, Don't expect any significant signing in January, and Cross your fingers for a top 4 finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Heard of trouble between Glazers (annoyed) and Moyes over the Fellaini signing. (Can't give source so feel free to take or leave)

Heard of trouble between Glazers (annoyed) and Moyes over the Fellaini signing. (Can't give source so feel free to take or leave)

in what way - they are annoyed we actually signed him or that we over paid for him?

im sure at the time they were happy to authorise the deal, so not really sure why they would find an issue with him now. and it would be Woodward they should be pissed off with, not Moyes.
    GSPfan wrote: »
    It's easier on the mental health lads if you just accept this season as a write off, Don't expect any significant signing in January, and Cross your fingers for a top 4 finish.

the fact that our competitors (apart from City and Chelsea) are so poor gives me more hope that our own potential. the team who wins the league this year, wont be a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Some goss.

Time to check out youtube for some clips of this Brazilian dude,

What could possibly go wrong signing a winger for around the 7 million mark :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

in what way - they are annoyed we actually signed him or that we over paid for him?

im sure at the time they were happy to authorise the deal, so not really sure why they would find an issue with him now. and it would be Woodward they should be pissed off with, not Moyes.

In every way really.

His lack of game-time and his poor performances when selected are the big things. AFAIK. (Feel free to accept or ignore as usual with these types of things.)

Yup agreed, I knew we would draw at Cardiff and I don't expect great results against Spurs either, I have spent too much energy arguing with people over Moyes so I have accepted this year will be ****e (I think we will get top 4 and a cup) and next year he will come good.

January will also be interesting for transfers as I think 1 player at least will come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Heard of this from who? A mate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Fúck saaaaake why did Khedira have to get injured?!

He would have been perfect. Great player.

Meh

Not really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Heard of this from who? A mate?

He says he cant give the source so to either accept it or ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

If we allow ourselves to accept mediocrity then we will become it. There should be great expectations put on this team and they should be doing much better as should Moyes.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    He says he cant give the source so to either accept it or ignore it.

Yeah I read that but asked anyway. My point would be there is a reason for not being able to give the source.

I realise its a rumors thread but the "me mate tole me" stuff, if thats what this is, scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

I realise its a rumors thread but the "me mate tole me" stuff, if thats what this is, scrapes the bottom of the barrel.

I think unsubstantiated claims should be banned.

Baines out for 6 weeks. ye lot reckon that would end our interest in him for January?

Yeah I read that but asked anyway. My point would be there is a reason for not being able to give the source.

The last guy who said his mate said it turned out to be correct :p Maybe this lads mate is Moyes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If it was a rumour praising Moyes you would not have questioned it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Just read ManUtd.com - if you will only believe what the club put on record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Sneijder rumours are appearing again,now we could offer Valencia as part of the deal.

Fuck it,I'd take the deal,just to move Valencia on,sick of watching the ball go backwards and sideways from the right wing.

Just read ManUtd.com - if you will only believe what the club put on record.

Its obvious bs most of the time from a certain section but anyone with common sense will see that

Order of Merit

1. Direct quotes from player or manager in question.
    2. Valid news confrimation
    3. Respects Journos and papaer.

4. The rags
    5. Hack journos
    6. Twitter

7. Me mate (A mixture of 4, 5 & 6 plus banter down the pub and stuff made up.)

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

What exactly are these "positive" rumours that people take without questioning? Tbh, I'd question every rumour, and I flat out refuse to believe one that has zero to back it up, be it positive or negative...

At least Moyes would be managing Everton again,it'd keep a few here happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Baines out for 6 weeks. ye lot reckon that would end our interest in him for January?

Hope he gets better but im bloody delighted at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

You would imagine so, depends on his powers of recovery though. I imagine 6 weeks is the max time rather than minimum recovery time.
    I wonder will it cost him his move altogether? A Summer transfer for him will look very expensive given his age.

You may as well shut the forum down then.

• Advertisement

Get him in for 7 million,sell Young for 12 million to Newcastle, everyone is happy!

Man United are ready lodge a £16m bid that would trigger the release clause contained in the contract of impressive young Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke according to the Daily Star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The calls to stifle free speech are out earlier than usual this season!

Simply not true but its what is typically said when people refuse to believe unsourced, weak and very questionable claims.

I have been critical of Moyes plenty, as recent as after the draw Sunday and of many of his team selections this season and will continue to do so, I also said plenty of times neither he or Woodward covered themselves in glory so far but it doesn't mean I will buy into the blatant lies being spread on here about them.

If you had any interest in giving an honest account of whats happening you would know this. Some people want to discuss what we actually know has happened and some want to create rumors and some will just follow the herd.

Recently we have heard Moyes was unwilling to pay the fee for Cesc. He is a yes man with no backbone. He fired all the old backroom staff without even meeting them. None of which had any valid source and besides sources I provided to prove them incorrect, their sources despite being asked for never materialised.

And in between the I heard from me mate we just have plain old digs at him. Moyes doesn't rate Thiago Ozil and god knows who else. Fergie would have had in two great mf and Ronnie, trying to compare what Fergie could have brought compared to Moyes and painting him in a bad light even though there is no chance Fergie would have had those three players in and it was a post rightly mocked.

I have no problem with pepole not wanting Moyes in, or not being a fan of him, not being convinced by him or being Anti Moyes. I have a problem clear lies being spread about him. At least judge him on what he is actually doing.

You may be happy to lap this up but I would rather judge Moyes on what he actually does and not the me mate heard stuff.

zerks wrote: »
    Man United are ready lodge a £16m bid that would trigger the release clause contained in the contract of impressive young Atletico Madrid midfielder Koke according to the Daily Star.

Wonder where we would intend to play him. Wide or central? He can play anywhere in midfield. Interesting prospect.

Would be shocked if we were to sign him in January. At.Madrid are doing well, he is getting rave reviews - would he want to move to a new team and league so close to the world cup, when the Spanish squad is so hard to get into?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Wonder where we would intend to play him. Wide or central? He can play anywhere in midfield. Interesting prospect.

Would be shocked if we were to sign him in January. At.Madrid are doing well, he is getting rave reviews - would he want to move to a new team and league so close to the world cup, when the Spanish squad is so hard to get into?

As good as Atleti are doing a move to United would surely only raise his stock. 16m seems a bit light to me though for a young Spanish prodigy. Going by Mata and Silva it will be over 20. Would be exciting whether it's for the right or centre and gives option for both.

Edit: Just seen release clause there but they wouldn't have to sell him if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Vermaelan, Podolski, Wilshere, Walcott, Flamini, Rosicky etc to call upon from the bench is hardly thin on quality to be fair.

If Giroud gets injured they're absolutely goosed. Even if they get a striker in January, no guarantee he'll hit the ground running.

Flamini is in the first 11.

If they spend 30m in January on a proven striker and proven cb, then I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them win it. Otherwise they're just an accident waiting to happen like we were with Carrick, as we're finding out at the moment.

Jones and Vidic in training today. Carrick and RVP were not.

If Carrick is out, as I would expect, midfield is a horror show!

Cleverley, Anderson, Giggs and Jones the options! FECKIN HELL!

Papers saying that "according to sources",Zaha doesn't have the mental toughness yet to make it at a big club.Considering he's more adept at going forward than Valencia it has to be part of the reason why he's not getting any game time.A loan deal to another EPL club might help him,I don't think dropping down to a Championship club would do him any favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The article says he's both an Attacking Midfielder (yawn) and a Winger? Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I think this is fair enough, like if you got it from Twitter say it, if indeed you got it from your buddy say it, and people will give it the respect it is due accordingly. Don't just leave it open ended, oooh you'll create some intrigue alright but I'd nearly guarantee that somewhere down the line someone will be arguing some point and then throw in that the Glazers were unhappy with Moyes weeks ago as if it was gospel when in fact this is exactly where they heard it....

I cannot recall any unsubstantiated rumours on this board that were pro Moyes. The makey uppy stuff has tended to be either related to transfers or anti-Moyes and his staff or anti-Woodward.
    It is also only human nature to stick up for your own, ie our manager, when negative stuff is being put out there without proof, we're all meant to be in it together... at least usually that's the case. We can all criticize Moyes for picking Valencia or Young or whoever the target of the day is because we can see that on a Wednesday or a Saturday or even if someone wants to criticize him based on the interviews with Phelen and Meulensteen that's fair enough but if people are going make up sh!te about our manager and a pretty important relationship to us all (with the owners) then I'd like to think we'd all defend him and call BS.

ericzeking wrote: »
    I think this is fair enough, like if you got it from Twitter say it, if indeed you got it from your buddy say it, and people will give it the respect it is due accordingly. Don't just leave it open ended, oooh you'll create some intrigue alright but I'd nearly guarantee that somewhere down the line someone will be arguing some point and then throw in that the Glazers were unhappy with Moyes weeks ago as if it was gospel when in fact this is exactly where they heard it....

The stuff from twitter is okay as we all know twitter is to be taken with a mountain of salt. The buddy stuff and open ended ones are the same. The buddy could be talking out his hoop or gotten it from twitter and as for " somewhere down the line someone will be arguing some point and then throw in that the Glazers were unhappy with Moyes weeks ago as if it was gospel when in fact this is exactly where they heard it...." its already happening, has been since the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I'm not too sure why it would. Isn't it around 6 weeks until the transfer window opens again? I can't imagine this injury would influence Moyes' interest in him at all, it's only a fractured toe and Martinez hopes he'll recover sooner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The stuff from twitter is okay as we all know twitter is to be taken with a mountain of salt. The buddy stuff and open ended ones are the same. The buddy could be talking out his hoop or gotten it from twitter and as for " somewhere down the line someone will be arguing some point and then throw in that the Glazers were unhappy with Moyes weeks ago as if it was gospel when in fact this is exactly where they heard it...." its already happening, has been since the summer

He said it was an unsourced rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Blatter wrote: »
    I'm not too sure why it would. Isn't it around 6 weeks until the transfer window opens again? I can't imagine this injury would influence Moyes' interest in him at all, it's only a fractured toe and Martinez hopes he'll recover sooner.

yup would be the second week but sure he could be just making sure he is fit for his medical by siting out december :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement