Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Take your charger out son, wasting electricity :mad:

Bloody well have done, can't afford the bill now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Wonder what illegalities lie behind the u-torrent button..... ;)

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Wonder what illegalities lie behind the u-torrent button..... ;)

Nothing under a copyright law I swear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd say Kagawa and Rooney will start again on Sunday. RvP just back from injury so will probably start on the bench.

Michael CarrickVerified account
    @carras16

Have to say , that's the utd we know right there. Best I've seen us for a while. To a man we were bang on. Giggsy hahaha how old ???

https://twitter.com/carras16/status/405812026909683713

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Whooossshhhhhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Great result tonight and I've been impressed with how Moyes has handled the CL this season. He could have no better approval rating, than to have the GOAT beaming in the stands showing his absolute delight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Lets not shuffle Kagawa back onto the bench now please. Or back to the left. It's remarkable how much more threatening we look when we have Kagawa and Rooney in positions they are fully comfortable with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

GSPfan wrote: »
    Its one of those games tho where I hope people don't say "We can kick on from here" or "Its finally coming together". They've been good but Leverkusen have been awful.

Of course they have.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Only saw the first half last night, and then the goals on SSN. (was busy scoring a hattrick in 5 aside myself.... YEAH!)

Thought Ferdinand was shocking in the first half. His 'play' leading up to the Evans block prior to the first goal was abysmal. It is startling how poor he has been this season.

Thought Kagawa looked a lot better in the central role last night - linking well and drawing fouls all the time, Bayer couldn't handle him at all. Would love to see him play centrally more often - but don't see him getting the chance unless either Rooney or RVP are benched for whatever reason.

Giggs and Jones did very well as a central partnership. I do think Jones can be a good option in midfield, when tasked with the 'Phil Neville' DM role. Tackle, get the ball, give it to another player in red as soon as possible...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Rooney looks happy that's the biggest plus for me! I think if Kagawa plays either Rooney or RVP needs to be on the bench. Time to alternate the three of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Thought Kagawa looked a lot better in the central role last night - linking well and drawing fouls all the time,

this is something i noticed, he must have won at least 6 frees last night, normally in England he would be left on his ass 6 times and possession gone. all 6 were fouls, but i just wonder if the physicality of the English game is too much for him?

eitherway, he will get his chance now in the next few games so its up to him to take it, but i still think he has a huge amount of work to do to make it in England, just something about him when playing in the PL thats not right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

just something about him when playing in the PL thats not right.

Yeah, the position he's asked to play in :D

It's amazing what Giggs still has to offer. He can easily become the target of many fans' frustration with the ongoing CM problem at the club, including myself in the past I'm sure, but in most of his appearances over the last 12 months (from what I recall) he's always at the least had something positive to offer in his play.

With him capable of a performance like that which he put in last night vs Bayer, and with us still competing in 4 competitions, he most definitely still has a part to play. That ball he put in for Nani's goal was not wholly dissimilar to one he put through for an RVP goal in the league early on this season, pure class. I'm absolutely delighted to be back to a place where I don't die a little upon seeing his name on the teamsheet!

If the current way of resting him for 2-3 games, then playing him for 120 minutes over 2 games is what it takes to keep him physically able to put in such performances, then both his talent and experience will be vital to us getting some decent silverware come next May. Ryan Giggs, what a sportsman and United Legend, hard to believe I'm still watching him create goals 20+ years later...*stares wistfully out window into November morning sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

stankratz wrote: »
    It's amazing what Giggs still has to offer. He can easily become the target of many fans' frustration with the ongoing CM problem at the club, including myself in the past I'm sure, but in most of his appearances over the last 12 months (from what I recall) he's always at the least had something positive to offer in his play.

With him capable of a performance like that which he put in last night vs Bayer, and with us still competing in 4 competitions, he most definitely still has a part to play. That ball he put in for Nani's goal was not wholly dissimilar to one he put through for an RVP goal in the league early on this season, pure class. I'm absolutely delighted to be back to a place where I don't die a little upon seeing his name on the teamsheet!

If the current way of resting him for 2-3 games, then playing him for 120 minutes over 2 games is what it takes to keep him physically able to put in such performances, then both his talent and experience will be vital to us getting some decent silverware come next May. Ryan Giggs, what a sportsman and United Legend, hard to believe I'm still watching him create goals 20+ years later...*stares wistfully out window into November morning sky.

Interesting to hear his interview this morning he said how much he likes playing centre mid with Jones as Jones will do his running for him.
    It was noted by someone here yesterday that he plays well in CM when it's with Jones. Carrick wouldn't have the dynamism to make up for Giggs lack of legs these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

this is something i noticed, he must have won at least 6 frees last night, normally in England he would be left on his ass 6 times and possession gone. all 6 were fouls, but i just wonder if the physicality of the English game is too much for him?

eitherway, he will get his chance now in the next few games so its up to him to take it, but i still think he has a huge amount of work to do to make it in England, just something about him when playing in the PL thats not right.

I said this in my post match post last night. I don't think he would have got half those frees in the Prem, still he was very good last night. A player of his obvious intelligence and dare I say cuteness can adapt to the hussle and bustle of the central areas in the English game if given a run of games there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

If David Silva and Santi Cazorla can succeed in the PL, then so can Kagawa. This physicality angle is a myth. Good players are good players, he just needs to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The big question now is has Moyes got the ba!ls to play Kagawa and rotate Rooney and RVP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Nuts102 wrote: »
    The big question now is has Moyes got the ba!ls to play Kagawa and rotate Rooney and RVP.

I highly doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kryogen wrote: »
    I highly doubt it

Agreed.

And, in reality, you can't argue it too much - RVP and Rooney are more proven performers.

I think there should be some rotation of that three, should include Chico too, but in the big games, I can't see him not going with Rooney and RVP assuming both are fit.

I really do think Kagawa could be great playing from the left, but not as a wide midfielder. Basically given a free role similar to what Ronaldo had. Playing from wide, but without the responsibility for tracking the full back all the time. If we gave him the freedom to move around the pitch, I think it would be fine. So far we have been more tactically rigid than we'd need to be for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Agreed.

And, in reality, you can't argue it too much - RVP and Rooney are more proven performers.

I think there should be some rotation of that three, should include Chico too, but in the big games, I can't see him not going with Rooney and RVP assuming both are fit.

I really do think Kagawa could be great playing from the left, but not as a wide midfielder. Basically given a free role similar to what Ronaldo had. Playing from wide, but without the responsibility for tracking the full back all the time. If we gave him the freedom to move around the pitch, I think it would be fine. So far we have been more tactically rigid than we'd need to be for this.

Hasn't Janjuaz had this sort of free role at times. Surely Moyes could let Kagawa have this role didn't Pienaar have something similar at Everton.

All Kagawa's touches against Leverkusen

Yeah, the position he's asked to play in :D

come on now in fairness, there is being poor in a certain position, but then there the fact that even when in centrally he gives the ball away a huge amount and gets brushed off far too easily.

last night was great, but its not all down to position, he has been poor many times in that position before.

lets hope this is finally the start of his United career because we really need him. sames for Nani - if the two of them are on form, we will play top class football.

the problem is....can we fit RVP, Nani, Rooney, Kagawa into a formation that suits them?

come on now in fairness, there is being poor in a certain position, but then there the fact that even when in centrally he gives the ball away a huge amount and gets brushed off far too easily.

last night was great, but its not all down to position, he has been poor many times in that position before.

lets hope this is finally the start of his United career because we really need him. sames for Nani - if the two of them are on form, we will play top class football.

the problem is....can we fit RVP, Nani, Rooney, Kagawa into a formation that suits them?

Have we actually tried RVP operating slightly behind Rooney? Leaving Wayne be the point man with the support line being RVP, Kagawa and Nani. He certainly has the intelligence and ball skills to do it I feel, not sure I have ever seen it happen though, under Fergie or Moyes, I know Robin wants to be a striker and got fed up with playing off the left for Arsenal etc but this would be slightly different, he would just be the more withdrawn striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

kryogen wrote: »
    Have we actually tried RVP operating slightly behind Rooney? Leaving Wayne be the point man with the support line being RVP, Kagawa and Nani. He certainly has the intelligence and ball skills to do it I feel, not sure I have ever seen it happen though, under Fergie or Moyes, I know Robin wants to be a striker and got fed up with playing off the left for Arsenal etc but this would be slightly different, he would just be the more withdrawn striker

I noticed in the first few games of the season that RVP and Rooney swapped positions a few times, mainly towards the end of games. I think they're both good in that position but I don't think it's RVP's best position. He has the touch and the pass, plus he'd be decent at shooting from range, but I don't think he's as dynamic as Rooney or Kagawa when playing behind the striker.

I dare say with Rooney in the form he's in he should be starting at the main striker instead of RVP though. I do like Kagawa in behind Rooney though as the passing can be sublime at times. But I would like to see RVP play a few games there to see how he does.

I feel for Chico but when he plays as the main striker he really doesn't add a huge amount to the team's overall play. He's great for getting a goal and making runs in behind but he can be invisible at times if the ball isn't coming to him. RVP, Rooney and Kagawa offer a lot more overall I feel. A sub off the bench really is the best use for him in the current squad, but I'm not sure he'll be happy doing that forever.

they were talking to martinez there about getting Baines into a new contract.

anybody know when it expires? i assume its June 2015...

every window that passes now, his value will drop by £2 or £3million and it gets to next summer, we should get him for £10million.

thats of course only if Evra is leaving and if we are still interested in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

keane2097 wrote: »
    Incisive analysis yo.

Just as incisive as the people overlooking how terrible the opposition were in their rush to proclaim Rooney at no 10 as the root of our problems. It also should be noted that in the reverse fixture we scored four goals with Rooney playing in the hole.

I actually want to see Kagawa playing behind Rooney, I think I said as much already this season. Rooney is in better form than RvP (plus his movement and hold up play are more use to us right now than RvP's ability to score screamers) and Kagawa's ability to run with the ball could make up for some of the rigidity of Moyes' style. The two of them playing together is an exciting prospect.

But people saying that Rooney at no 10 is a significant reason for our problems this season, saying that he isn't creative, that he is poor technically and calling for him to be rotated are very wrong. I do agree that his best position is CF, but he is still a good number 10.

This is not true.

Rooneys take on last night..
    Great result last night and through to the knockout stages! A brilliant team performance with plenty of goals. Two stand out players for me were Antonio Valencia who was unstoppable on the right wing, and Ryan Giggs, his composure on the ball is second to none. Giggsy is 40 tomorrow, at one point last night the Leverkusen centre-half came up to me and asked how he is still playing at that age, that speaks volumes on how good he is!

fair play to Moyes for getting the tactics spot on, he knew they had a problem at full backs and went with two speed merchants to kill them on the counter. something similar on Sunday now please...

a win there and i would cap a pretty good week, which would have been an excellent one but for that late goal against Cardiff. a win Sunday sets us up lovely and it would be another tricky game out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Anyone else hating the current spoken use of acronyms names in football? Started with AVB I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Absolutely delighted with last night. There were a few mistakes defensively but they were taken care of. Kagawa and Giggs linked up with each other brilliantly. Valencia may have had his best game in years, even if his crosses weren't great. Good too see Nani playing well and scoring too.

I just hope Moyes took notice and is prepared to change the team up a bit. Kagawa played better as a 10 than Rooney has. Leave Rooney up front where he is best.

Anyone else hating the current spoken use of acronyms names in football? Started with AVB I think.

What about JT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'd imagine ABU would have been the first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Thought MUFC did great last night with no RVP. DDG wasn't troubled too much at all. Easily our best result in the ECL in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Thought MUFC did great last night with no RVP. DDG wasn't troubled too much at all. Easily our best result in the ECL in ages.

Even AVB is worried.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

ASL?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'd actually welcome giving RVP some bench time over the next week or two. He has had a number of niggling injuries over the last month, and a rest might sort that out. The fixtures after Spurs are really strong, and quite honestly, Kagawa deserves more time in that role after last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'd actually welcome giving RVP some bench time over the next week or two. He has had a number of niggling injuries over the last month, and a rest might sort that out. The fixtures after Spurs are really strong, and quite honestly, Kagawa deserves more time in that role after last night.

It's amazing how a big problem could turn out to be our salvation,we were all worried about the formation due to a couple of big players being out and Moyes being forced into a change of playing style which benefitted our game rather than hamper it further.

Gone was the rigid,pass to Carrick,pass to Cleverley,back to Carrick,knock it long diagonally and repeat.There was genuine movement from everyone on the field,not once did I see the likes of Evans or Rio pleading for somebody to move or show for the ball ahead of them.If we can play like that with a CB & a 40 yr old former winger in midfield,how would we fare with 2 actual quality midfielders?
    Kagawa revelled in the role he deserves and his movement created so much space for others.Even the much maligned Anderson was driving forward,something none of our other midfielders seem to want or know how to do for the past 2 years.
    I pm'd one of the other posters here & mentioned how I was dreading watching 90 turgid minutes but it turned out the exact opposite with a display of verve,movement & goals.
    Let's hope we build on this & not go back to the bad old habits we have gotten of zombie football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Last night was the first time in a long long time that we looked really good on the break. Its a great sight to see united players breaking forward at speed instead of that slow ponderous build up we ve had to endure recently. After seeing Kagawa play so well in the no.10 role Moyes has a big selection dilemna whether to drop him when RVP comes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

For me there's no argument about who should be in the hole, it just has to be Kagawa. Almost every good game we've had this season, very few in fact, Kagawa has been there. It's just not a coincidence and that link between the forwards and the midfield is what we've been missing. Rooney and RVP being rotated is best for the team, Rooney is in super form so it must be him there the weekend.

No player is bigger than the club, the two lads may not like being rotated but if it gets us playing like we did at times last night consistently well then it's what's best for the club and they'll have to get used to it.

Last night was the first in a long time that I've thoroughly enjoyed watching 90 minutes of United, I don't even care that Leverkusen were muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

zerks wrote: »
    If we can play like that with a CB & a 40 yr old former winger in midfield,how would we fare with 2 actual quality midfielders?

It also speaks volumes about the actual effect Tom Cleverley has on our play when he is in there.

• Advertisement

n32 wrote: »
    Last night was the first time in a long long time that we looked really good on the break. Its a great sight to see united players breaking forward at speed instead of that slow ponderous build up we ve had to endure recently. After seeing Kagawa play so well in the no.10 role Moyes has a big selection dilemna whether to drop him when RVP comes back.

Dare I say it,no Carrick speeds up our play.

I've been one of his biggest critics in the past but he's carried our midfield last season.Thing is though,his style of play doesn't lend itself to fast counter attacking play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Also Rio is approaching his expiry date, Garay doesn't seem so bad now.

Also Rio is approaching his expiry date, Garay doesn't seem so bad now.

That moment last night when he turned his back on the Leverkusen attacker & Evans had to make a last ditch tackle really annoyed me.I'm afraid his time at United is very nearly over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Nani's goal pleased me a lot, the cheeky little clip forward into his path a great touch and then a deft finish from a narrow angle. It had me clapping at the television like a fool. delighted for Nani too who has been hot and cold for a while now. Rooney Valencia, Nani, Giggs were all very good and it is because of the space that Kagawa creates and the fact that he demands a forward pass. It then spreads through the team.

Typically If teams close out our wingers then they have a chance against us but playing the way we did last night they will have to rethink the strategy completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

zerks wrote: »
    That moment last night when he turned his back on the Leverkusen attacker & Evans had to make a last ditch tackle really annoyed me.I'm afraid his time at United is very nearly over.

It's happened a few times this season, he's being beaten far too easily at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

For me there's no argument about who should be in the hole, it just has to be Kagawa.

Kagawa has been muck since he arrived. He has to prove he's a starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

IMC cinemas Screening Class of 92 in Athlone,. Galway etc but theres a Q&A with Giggsy et al via webcam after apparently. What would you ask if you could? I was thinking I'd ask Giggsy "What was it like ploughing Imogen Thomas"
    Hope I can get work off now on Sunday night :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Christ, this gets on my nerves. He's played completely out of position on almost all occasions.

He is a number 10. He played 90 minutes as a number 10 last night. Finally.

What happens? United play their best attacking football of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Well that's just not true and anyone who has watched him can tell that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Nani's goal pleased me a lot, the cheeky little clip forward into his path a great touch and then a deft finish from a narrow angle. It had me clapping at the television like a fool. delighted for Nani too who

I know someone who was furious at it :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement