Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Robson99

Just looking back on the game Wednesday night and how well Giggs and Jones played in the middle of the park, I think a lot of our problem this season in the middle has been how poor Carrick has been. He was excellent last season but has been poor this term. He seems to slow our game down a lot. I think if we could get Modric and play him with Jones we could have a the strength and quality required to compete against the top midfields

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,665 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Happy Birthday Giggs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

zerks wrote: »
    21 years of stickers.

article-2515449-19B6EE8800000578-998_636x351.jpg

Remember when he shaved his head I think it was during the 94/95 season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

21 years of stickers.

article-2515449-19B6EE8800000578-998_636x351.jpg

When i was a kid back in the eighties i loved me sticker albums too; shiners and all that craic and also had a penchant for sleepwalking. Anyhoo me parents told me years ago me grandparents were round for a visit and i was told it was time for bed and wasn't allowed bring me sticker album so off i went but arrived back down around an hour later sleepwalking, pick the sticker album up off the table kiss it put it back down and off up to bed again. Think i loved that one a bit too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

What a tackle this was from Evans. If that had gone in the game could of totally changed.

i33zUl5rv6NTe.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Keno wrote: »
    What a tackle this was from Evans. If that had gone in the game could of totally changed.

i33zUl5rv6NTe.gif

Great stuff from Evans, appalling from Ferdinand.

We're quite close to a deal for Ryan Gauld according to some papers. 17 year old from Dundee.... been dubbed the Mini Messi aparently..... :rolleyes:

We're quite close to a deal for Ryan Gauld according to some papers. 17 year old from Dundee.... been dubbed the Mini Messi aparently..... :rolleyes:

Was reading an article about him on Talksport last week,the Pool are after him as well.........apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Me too. The news broke at our GAA training session. I couldn't wait until that night to see it on MOTD. The internet was as peculiar as space travel those days.

• Advertisement

Me too. The news broke at our GAA training session. I couldn't wait until that night to see it on MOTD. The internet was as peculiar as space travel those days.

Im glad someone else remembered it :D I was looking for a pic on the net there couldnt find any.

I remember there was big fuss made about it at the time as well because he had a deal with a hair product company and all the talk was they would pull out of the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Any pictures?

Never mind. Just saw your post above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Giggs interview on BBC 5 Live right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Am I the only one who thinks Evans is underrated?

Good to see him get some individual praise here. Bit overdue imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Look closely... Look closelier...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86725916&postcount=3637

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Evans proving again that players who read the game well can be good at last second tackles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Just how small is the little fella

Just how small is the little fella

3 foot 7 inches!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

No i find it bizarre when people talk about Smalling and Jones as the future. For me Evans is very good but very underrated,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Evans is generally overrated in this thread imo. He got a lot of regular starts in a settled defence over the last two seasons gone, and during those spells our defence was never much good and he was making a fair number of mistakes. He is getting better each year and he has the ability to make a career at United imo, but he still has big flaws in his game at this stage.

Smalling and Jones are both more talented CBs for me. I think it's a pity that neither has been given regular game time in their natural position in a settled defence, like Evans has, over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I do think Evans is good and underrated by some, but for me Smalling will be the best of the three young CBs. He has it all to be a really top class CB imo.

I still think Smalling has best potential of any United player(Back 4 at least). Being saying this for 3 seasons on here.

Just think Evans does not get credit he deserves sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Is anyone keeping a list of our January transfer rumours yet? :D

MagicIRL wrote: »

Take ages to draw up;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

MagicIRL wrote: »

Moyes wants the boards.ie man utd thread posters as his tactical team ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Moyes wants the boards.ie man utd thread posters as his tactical team ;)

About time he seen sense and got the real professionals in.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    About time he seen sense and got the real professionals in.......

I'll only work if I can bring my noble armchair and keyboard with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Pro. F wrote: »
    Evans is generally overrated in this thread imo. He got a lot of regular starts in a settled defence over the last two seasons gone, and during those spells our defence was never much good and he was making a fair number of mistakes. He is getting better each year and he has the ability to make a career at United imo, but he still has big flaws in his game at this stage.

Smalling and Jones are both more talented CBs for me. I think it's a pity that neither has been given regular game time in their natural position in a settled defence, like Evans has, over the last few years.
    The defence was so far from settled the last 2 seasons. As unsettled as it's probably been since 2006 or so. Evans is only nejind Vidic in the level that ne is playing at right now and has great ball skills and good leadership. I don't see Smalling as much of a leader and Jones seems to be more of a lead by example player. He is much further along in development than those 2 however. It also helps that he has been at the club for so long and gets it. Is ok with rotation and can step in and do well after a few games off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Diego Simeone hinting that a deal could be done for us to sign Koke with De Bruyne heading to Atletico on loan from Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

link?

Headshot wrote: »
    link?

Bastion if truth: The Star.

Koke's release clause is only £16 million apparently too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Koke's release clause is only £16 million apparently too.

So we'll pay 20 million...... Niceeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

So we'll pay 20 million...... Niceeeeee

Still better than 27m for afro man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

On a completely related topic. Anyone going to Class of 92 tomorrow in Galway? xoxo

man just watching cardiff there, how the **** did we just draw against this very poor team

man just watching cardiff there, how the **** did we just draw against this very poor team

We both scored the same amount of goals.

We both scored the same amount of goals.

no sh'it sherlock

Im talking about lowering our standards to draw against end of the season championship team

no sh'it sherlock

Im talking about lowering our standards to draw against end of the season championship team

You'll have to translate that for me, you think they'll be relegated? you think we're lowering our standards on purpose?

• Advertisement

You'll have to translate that for me, you think they'll be relegated? you think we're lowering our standards on purpose?

Yes I think they are extremely poor team and will most likely be relegated. We arent lowering our standards on purpose, we are just ****e this season and most likely for some seasons to come. Arsenal were superb today and shown why they are my favs for the PL title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What are Everton gonna do to us on Wednesday!!!!

Better win tomorrow so, Tottenham are hopeless atm

IvySlayer wrote: »
    What are Everton gonna do to us on Wednesday!!!!

Better win tomorrow so, Tottenham are hopeless atm

Thanks,kiss of death there.

Seems like Arsenal have all but signed Draxler according to reports.Why can't we seem to get business done like that anymore,then it's just a matter of finishing the paperwork in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Yes I think they are extremely poor team and will most likely be relegated. We arent lowering our standards on purpose, we are just ****e this season and most likely for some seasons to come. Arsenal were superb today and shown why they are my favs for the PL title.

How do you know? It is stupid saying that.

Irish94 wrote: »
    How do you know? It is stupid saying that.

A few things.

I look at the current team which besides the big huge gaping hole in the CM, we lack class in the back. Jones and Smalling were brought in as under studies to Vidic and Rio but havent gotten to the level that they can be trusted and good enough. Evans right now is out best CB but I just cant see him getting to Vidic's or Rio level when they were in their prime. LB will soon need replacing but we are linked strongly to a soon to be 29yr old....

The recent summer window was shockingly bad. Got an afro player that we didnt need/good enough.

The manager.

We seriously need big splash of cash but I doubt Moyes will get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

They also beat City at home, being unfair to Cardiff, they will stay up without much trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Thanks,kiss of death there.

Seems like Arsenal have all but signed Draxler according to reports.Why can't we seem to get business done like that anymore,then it's just a matter of finishing the paperwork in January.

Can you throw up a link for that. Wouldn't mind a read

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Isn't Draxler another AMF? Doubt Moyes would want him.

He has said today that he will only buy in January if the right targets are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Liam O wrote: »
    The defence was so far from settled the last 2 seasons. As unsettled as it's probably been since 2006 or so. Evans is only nejind Vidic in the level that ne is playing at right now and has great ball skills and good leadership. I don't see Smalling as much of a leader and Jones seems to be more of a lead by example player. He is much further along in development than those 2 however. It also helps that he has been at the club for so long and gets it. Is ok with rotation and can step in and do well after a few games off.

In 12/13 between September and December Evans started 10 consecutive PL games with Rio, Evra and Rafael. In the tenth game of that run he was subbed off injured, in the ninth game Rafael was subbed off, otherwise they all played full games. Lindegaard and DDG were in goal for five games each.

In 11/12, the first half of the season we can write off to DDG's introduction and various injuries in the back four. In the second half of the season, from February 5th to April 22nd Evans started 12 consecutive PL games with Rio, Evra and DDG. Rafael played 8 games at RB and Jones 4.

Those two runs are exactly what I would call a lot of regular starts in a settled defence. Any centre back looking to break into the team would love for opportunities like that. But all through those runs we were leaking too many goals and Evans was making regular mistakes.

Jones and Smalling haven't gotten anything like those sorts of runs at centre back. You say Evans is further along than them, but I don't see evidence of that. Any time the other two have had fair runs in the team (which has been very rarely) they have shown more ability than Evans. And they're both younger than him, Jones by four years and Smalling just under two.

Right now, this season, the defence hasn't settled down and nobody has played consistently well yet. So talk of Evans being only behind Vidic is irrelevant imo. He has put in a mixed bag of performances this season just like every other centre back has.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement