Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

zerks wrote: »
    The one the other night didn't turn out so bad.

The game Wednesday isn't on Sky/BT so it's streams only or talk nice to the Polish neighbours.

Quick, start city's match thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

RasTa wrote: »
    Quick, start city's match thread.

Too late,they're winning:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

He couldn't do anything when he got past them. His crosses have now become low drives towards goal. Invariably, they just hit the first man and are useless.

Yup v true, I find myself hoping for a corner the minute he goes to cross it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

How do you pronounce Rene's second name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Moo(mew?)-len-steen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

Mule-in-steen?

No Jones Wednesday night so looks like hairy will be our DM against Everton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

zerks wrote: »
    No Jones Wednesday night so looks like hairy will be our DM against Everton.

Not confident at all about that game with the way we re playing and our absentees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

when is carrick due back? I know he was back in light training a couple of weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Average seven days at the end of it. Various failings exposed in either Premier League game with a ridiculously good win in the Europe in the middle. I'd trade that win for one in the league tbh. We need it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Mullen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

In the cinema now waiting on class of 92 eeeeeeeeeee so excited. I am here as a loner however so this is easily the uncoolest thing I've done since i tried to write a song when i was a wain and it turned out it was just a Celine Dion song i had heard and forgotten about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Interesting performance possession wise considering our midfield, we had 58% possession away from home against a team with a superior midfield on paper... We created practically nothing with it though. My take on it is that Cleverly and Jones are just not on the same wavelength as those ahead of them, any time Kagawa or Rooney tried some interplay with either they took the wrong option and played it to a full back or worse...Valencia!! Valencia just holds everything up.
    I reckon the only way Cleverly has a future with us is if he fully converts to a defensive midfielder, that's what he's playing like at the moment but he's supposed to be the forward thinking cm.

I would have liked to see Ando get a run, he looked spritely Wed night when he came, he is obviously fit at the moment, he's the type of player we need in there.

Both full backs looked liable to cost us...Smalling just looks confused out there and Evra is only playing out the season and it shows.

Surprised no one is giving out about the free kick goal, that was a farce to concede like that at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Timmyctc wrote: »
    In the cinema now waiting on class of 92 eeeeeeeeeee so excited. I am here as a loner however so this is easily the uncoolest thing I've done since i tried to write a song when i was a wain and it turned out it was just a Celine Dion song i had heard and forgotten about

You in the omniplex in Galway? I would have gone if there was an earlier showing seeing as I was in Terryland earlier in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

bwhahaha

If I didn't live in the civilised world I would of joined ya :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

ericzeking wrote: »
    I reckon the only way Cleverly has a future with us is if he fully converts to a defensive midfielder, that's what he's playing like at the moment but he's supposed to be the forward thinking cm.

It's about time people stop clutching at straws with Cleverly and realise he's not good enough to be at a club like ours.

Offers absolutely nothing to the team in any position. Can't score, can't tackle, can't thread a pass, can't head, can't impose himself physically on the game. He's a nothing player and should not be at a club like ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Using your phone in the cinema... tsk. YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK!

exagerrating slightly

Zellwegger :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I said it last week too, but days like today prove Carricks worth to the team

Danye wrote: »
    It's about time people stop clutching at straws with Cleverly and realise he's not good enough to be at a club like ours.

Offers absolutely nothing to the team in any position. Can't score, can't tackle, can't thread a pass, can't head, can't impose himself physically on the game. He's a nothing player and should not be at a club like ours.
    Passes: 53/60
    Pass Completion: 88%
    Long Passes: 5/6
    Take Ons: 1/2
    Ball Recoveries: 10
    Tackles: 2/2
    Interceptions: 2
    Clearances: 1/1
    Aerial Duels: 1/1
    Fouls Suffered/Committed: 2/0

zxsgtv.jpg

I thought Cleverley was alright today. Decent first half, faded second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

So how did we play today, I missed the lot with work.

kryogen wrote: »
    Averagely. Better first half than second. Made very little creatively. Could pick the bones out of the substitutions.

Fairly even game. 60-40 possession in our favour. Sandro scored a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You lucky man.

Honestly, we were poor. Rooney the bright light yet again. Vidic was good at times.

Welbeck, Cleverly and Jones poorest for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ill watch the highlights anyway but was it sounds more two points dropped then a point gained then? No Carrick again, he is really hurting us with his absence (that in fairness has been due for a couple of years now considering how consistent he has been in terms of appearances and lack of cover we have for him)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Not bashing you here, just stating my opinion of Cleverly

He's able to make short passes, but what exactly does he do that beneficial to the team. He's not a creative midfielder, he isn't a goal threat, he doesn't create chances. He's not a defensive midfielder, he rarely tackles and wins the ball. His reading of the game is poor and has poor stamina and pace. He's a mediocre player and has shown no sign of improvement over the last few years.

I'd prefer see Anderson get the nod, hes able to carry the ball forward unlike Cleverly who just offloads it as soon as he gets it. Again, Moyes inherited this squad so its unfair to criticize him over his selection, there isn't much better options in midfield which is really depressing. I'm confident Moyes will get quality players in to booster the midfield even though he made a balls of it over the summer

Passes: 53/60
    Pass Completion: 88%
    Long Passes: 5/6
    Take Ons: 1/2
    Ball Recoveries: 10
    Tackles: 2/2
    Interceptions: 2
    Clearances: 1/1
    Aerial Duels: 1/1
    Fouls Suffered/Committed: 2/0

zxsgtv.jpg

Not a fan of stats like this.

Considering his passing is ineffective 88% success rate is actually somewhat low.

What's the definition of a long pass?

He only made 2 tackles in the centre of the park? What is ball recovery? Is that when Spurs misplace a pass and it's going no where and he gets his foot on it? Again only 2 interceptions in a big game playing in the most important position on the pitch?

I don't care what stats anybody pulls up, I know from watching him closely that's he's not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Ander Herrera playing a blinder against Barca tonight..

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Ander Herrera playing a blinder against Barca tonight..
    Guilleme Balague "#MUFC not interested in signing Ander Herrera anymore because David Moyes doesn't want to pay €36 million for him"

It's on!

• Advertisement

He did well for the goal but I wouldn't say he played a blinder at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He's worth about 15m, a big risk as he'll have to develop drastically in a short space of time to become a top PL player, he's 25 next year so it's not like he's a kid we can mould and develop over time.

Bilbao were clear with their valuation as well.

I'd be aiming a lot higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Robson99

He did well for the goal but I wouldn't say he played a blinder at all.

How did Muniain play?

Robson99 wrote: »
    How did Muniain play?
    Bit of an uneven performance. Not involved a lot of the time, Susaeta carried the ball better. Took the goal well, attacked the ball the way a winger coming in from the other side should.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    bwhahaha

If I didn't live in the civilised world I would of joined ya :pac:

Tsk. Away with ye Dubliners :pac:
    Using your phone in the cinema... tsk. YOU PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK!

exagerrating slightly

The film hadn't started -_- I stopped using it even before the self fellating Cinema Ads came on. Ye know the ilk of them. "MADE BY US. WE MADE THIS. LOOK AT THE GRAPHICS. WHOOOSHHHHH. DOLBY MUTHERFÚCKING DIGITAL. LISTEN TO THAT MUTHERFÚCKING BASS BITCH"

The film was fantastic. Spine chilling mostlly. Giggs is great in it. Scholes is the funniest person in the world too. Great film.

Also @Mars Bars yeah was Terryland. Decent crowd showed up too! Ye shuda gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Didn't see the game today watching the highlights on MOTD 2 now,

That was some tackle by Vidic in the build up to the penalty,turned Walker upside down,real old school stuff.

Good goal by Sandro,it needed to be good to beat Big Dave from that distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Also @Mars Bars yeah was Terryland. Decent crowd showed up too! Ye shuda gone.

I'd have been looking to kill 4 hours waiting around if I did wait to go see it!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'd have been looking to kill 4 hours waiting around if I did wait to go see it!

Totally worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Just had a check through this season's results so far in the league.

Danny Welbeck appears - 8 games - 10 points - 1.25 points/game on average
    Danny Welbeck not on pitch - 5 games - 12 points - 2.4 points/game on average

Coincidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Could be dreaming here but at Christmas could we look at getting likes of Kaka in,say on loan or buy....if Milan board are blind swap Him for Cleverly and Anderson....
    Kaka hasn't played much in last few years but is on good form at mo and would give us bit of variety in midfield...and wouldn't cost more than 10m given his age.

• Advertisement

Just after watching MOTD,I was annoyed with Cleverley today and seeing what he didn't do today made it worse.

For Sandro's goal he was turned in knots and gave him too much space and later in the game he almost let Townsend score,he turned & looked at where Townsend was yet allowed him to run in behind him as he just stood there like a dummy when Walker crossed the ball in.If you did stuff like this in a Sunday league game you'd be bollocked for it but an England international doing it is shocking.

I felt he had promise but I feel he'll never progress from the level he's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

Cleverley is going to turn into a great player for hull or Sunderland, not Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

tipperary wrote: »
    Just had a check through this season's results so far in the league.

Danny Welbeck appears - 8 games - 10 points - 1.25 points/game on average
    Danny Welbeck not on pitch - 5 games - 12 points - 2.4 points/game on average

Coincidence?

I've also been doing some research. We play over twice as well on a Saturday than we do on a Sunday.

Sunday: 5 Games - 5 Points - 1 point a game on average.

Saturday: 7 Games - 16 Points - 2.28 points a game on average.

Coincidence? Could we get the league to alter our schedule to accommodate more Saturday games I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Keno wrote: »
    I've also been doing some research. We play over twice as well on a Saturday than we do on a Sunday.

Sunday: 5 Games - 5 Points - 1 point a game on average.

Saturday: 7 Games - 16 Points - 2.28 points a game on average.

Coincidence? Could we get the league to alter our schedule to accommodate more Saturday games I wonder?
    I haven't looked at your fixtures but would that have anything to do with the opposition ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

greendom wrote: »
    I haven't looked at your fixtures but would that have anything to do with the opposition ?

I'm coming up with an algorithm to apply a multiplier to each team based on current and past stature, points so far, goal difference and price of chips at the ground.

I believe it's something to do with the day however, not the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Danye wrote: »
    Not a fan of stats like this.

Considering his passing is ineffective 88% success rate is actually somewhat low.

What's the definition of a long pass?

He only made 2 tackles in the centre of the park? What is ball recovery? Is that when Spurs misplace a pass and it's going no where and he gets his foot on it? Again only 2 interceptions in a big game playing in the most important position on the pitch?

I don't care what stats anybody pulls up, I know from watching him closely that's he's not good enough.

You'll also notice in that graphic that the majority of his blue (successful) passes are almost directly to the side or backwards. His forward passes have a 50% success rate, about 4 red and 4 blue, the four blue ones are going out wide, there is nothing there directly going into the penalty area. Actually he didn't pass the ball into the box or into a central position just outside it and the majority of his passes in advanced central areas are backwards or horizontal passes. He literally never tired or could not attempt a creative or defense splitting pass.

Its a stat that gets thrown out about him a lot after he has a bad game "Yeah but look he had a better pass % than Carrick, it was in the eighties". Its not hard when most of those passes are to safe bets and short and uncreative. Its a play like this that slows everything down and takes the momentum from our play. I would like to see, just once, Rooney and RVP up top with Kagawa as the partner to Fellaini or Carrick in MF and to see how true the "he can't operate effectively there" opinion really is. It can't get much worse than Clev's display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Best Squad or best Team (11) what would ye prefer?

For me best team. More continuity, would lead too better style of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the result today would be a decent one, had we got 3 points last week.

I said i would give my first judgement of Moyes after the Newcastle game and i will wait until then, but unless we get 6 points this week, it wont be a good one. if we are picking up 6 points there it should take us 4th, but lets see.

At the moment, if we look at the stats so far, its pretty poor reading for Moyes, its actually worst than anybody expected.

8th place, 17 points dropped and 8 points down from last season after 13 games - if this was said to people last May, would this have been accepted? i think even the most biased of fans would admit that this is simply shocking. we have also scored 10 goals less.

We have taken 6 points off teams in the top 10 and 13 points off the bottom 5 teams. any half decent team and we struggle - this is Everton form and not the form of Manchester United and, the real sad thing is that Everton seem to be flourishing so far since Moyes left.

The real worrying aspect is this however - 10 points less from corresponding 13 fixtures last season(replacing Wigan with Cardiff and QPR with Palace). this bucks the "oh but our fixtures have been harder" nonsense. there can be no more excuses, 1/3 of the season is gone and the team that was top this time last year, is now 7 places down and playing muck.

huge week for us, anything less than 6 points here and we are facing into the Christmas period in really bad shape, Moyes needs to sort this out and quickly as at the moment, we do not deserve even to be considered for 4th place. getting the players we need in the January window is going to be impossible.

You'll also notice in that graphic that the majority of his blue (successful) passes are almost directly to the side or backwards. His forward passes have a 50% success rate, about 4 red and 4 blue, the four blue ones are going out wide, there is nothing there directly going into the penalty area. Actually he didn't pass the ball into the box or into a central position just outside it and the majority of his passes in advanced central areas are backwards or horizontal passes. He literally never tired or could not attempt a creative or defense splitting pass.

Its a stat that gets thrown out about him a lot after he has a bad game "Yeah but look he had a better pass % than Carrick, it was in the eighties". Its not hard when most of those passes are to safe bets and short and uncreative. Its a play like this that slows everything down and takes the momentum from our play. I would like to see, just once, Rooney and RVP up top with Kagawa as the partner to Fellaini or Carrick in MF and to see how true the "he can't operate effectively there" opinion really is. It can't get much worse than Clev's display.

Excellent post and agree with all that your saying.

I've been calling for Kagawa to start in CM albeit slightly more advanced and people in this forum shot it down saying he "can't play there".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Another player who is slipping into the "he must not start category" and I hate to say it, is Valencia.

I know he has been poor for a long time now but he is real hard worker and a top lad in the sense that he never moans or makes the papers but he just can't create much danger anymore. His defensive work is fine but today watching the ball bounce off the defender time and time again as Val tried to cross it was painful. The only time he seemed to get free was due to a lucky break of the ball of a defender out of place. When he is being contained and its a 50/50 defender v attacker he never seems to go past players like he used to and is looking average attacking wise.

I'm not sure how much more time he can be afforded or would more creativity in the centre of the park that pulls and stretches the oppostions positional play help release him again. Thats clutching at straws a bit I know but I was a big fan of his and its painful to see how he struggles game in and game out.

I think he is slightly better than last season, which is not saying much as he was so poor last season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement