Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I hope the next midfielder we buy actually adds to the starting 11 and doesn't spend his time on the bench....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

o-BAYER-LEVERKUSEN-MANCHESTER-UNITED-570.jpg?2

Thats a very nice picture. If only it hadn't been forgotten by the time we were so horrid against Spurs.

Have you any opinions on the question asked?

KH25 wrote: »
    I hope the next midfielder we buy actually adds to the starting 11 and doesn't spend his time on the bench....

Surprised this question isn't asked more. Why is our 27.5m midfield signing sitting on the bench? Its certainly not because the people ahead of him are playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Would not be a fan of Fellaini as I don't feel he is up to the required standard of the better modern day Utd Central midfielders,the fact is that Cleverly,Anderson,Present day Giggs also fall into that category,
    When I think of players I have seen in the flesh or on box like Neil Webb,Bryan Robson,Remi Moses,Paul Ince,Roy Keane,Nicky Butt(on top form),Michael Carrick(on top form),Veron(on top form)
    I think of lads like Butt or Keane that could dominate midfield without getting needless cards or playmakers like Webb and Veron that could split a defence with one touch...
    Sadly Fellaini fits neither of those types of player.

Surprised this question isn't asked more. Why is our 27.5m midfield signing sitting on the bench? Its certainly not because the people ahead of him are playing well.

Going to go out on a limb here and say its because he's not good enough.

But this just raises more questions!!!

But this just raises more questions!!!

I never thought Fellaini was the right buy. As a backup, maybe but not as the main signing of the summer. He hasn't played well and Moyes benching him proves that. I don't think he will ever be good enough for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Does anyone know does a train go from piccadily station to old trafford?

Be careful. You need to get a tram and not a train.

Piccadilly station is up the hill and serves all of England pretty much.

You're looking for the tram line in Piccadilly Gardens.

If you're going out to a match make sure to get on the first stop. The second stop is 20 seconds or so away but the tram is jammers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

No he is more than good enough. The problem is when he plays he is not sure what his role actually is. He will be a good signing once Moyes decides what to do with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭F.J.

Anyone hear it mentioned that Moyes prefers Smalling to Rafael at right back?

• Advertisement

F.J. wrote: »
    Anyone hear it mentioned that Moyes prefers Smalling to Rafael at right back?

If he does then he has no clue. Rafael is a far superior full back to Smalling. He's a threat going forward and can put in a good cross. Smalling is a CB and it shows when he plays at RB. Defensively he is solid but otherwise, meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Does anyone know does a train go from piccadily station to old trafford?

yes it does, check the website for times.

you can also get the tram downstairs in the station that goes every 5-10 minutes. get off in salford keys or there is a second line (think its altringham) which allows you to get off at the cricket ground.

both tram stops are 5 minutes walk to the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Ok, you can put all of those into the forward category I suppose. I picked the most vertical of his passes but some of those are stretching it from the viewpoint they are very close to being horizontal and some are very short and basic.

I think the point still stands about Cleverly, he is very limited and that graph shows it.

But that is only his passing stats. I mentioned his pace, physicallity and concentration in an earlier post, they are all off that top level standard. I agree that our midfeild as a whole is poor as Carrick is not on his best form and Fellaini seems to be a shadow of his Everton self but Clev stands out amongst them

His defensive display for the equaliser was also poor. In the picture here you can see how much space he affords sandro, as does Fellaini and Welbeck but Clev is the player who must get close.

Sandro-space-given-united.jpg

When Sandro gets the ball Clev rushes in like a headless chicken, gets turned twice and allows the player to get his shot away. His actions were rash and sloppy and he should have been tighter to the player. Sandro is a good bit taller and possibly heavier but still gets away from him with ease, its not down to Sandro's pace or muscle as they never touched its just sloppy play.

Clev is a hard worker but its not enough, he keeps it short and simple the majority of the time with his passing but offers little threat with that passing and is a liability in defense.

If we are honest would not get into the midfield of our rivals and he should not get anything else than the same treatment from us. If we had other options I don't think he would get a look in. Nice guy and a workhorse but I don't think he is UTD standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Januzaj is on the shortlist for BBC Young Sports Personality Of The Year.

Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

J. Marston wrote: »
    Januzaj is on the shortlist for BBC Young Sports Personality Of The Year.

Weird.

England trying to suck up to him for when he picks his country! ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Don't think that's it at all, he didn't become a bad player when he signed for us

He hasn't settled yet, he hasn't played very well, he is carrying an injury he needs to have surgery on and he is playing in a team that is playing poorly on the whole

Give him time.

I would be of the opinion that he is playing poor rather then he is a poor player. He could still turn out to be a very good player for the club, he has plenty of attributes that we need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

According to Roger Henrotay, the Belgian Under 21 star's agent, Fellaini snubbed a possible move to England because of his desire for first-team football.

"United phoned us yet again urging Marouane not to sign for Standard," Henrotay told the News of The World.

"But we did not obey them.

"The lad is young and he will get better still, but only if he plays first-team football.

"He'd have earned a lot more money had he gone to Old Trafford but he wouldn't have played."

Sky Sports 22 May 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Ok, you can put all of those into the forward category I suppose. I picked the most vertical of his passes but some of those are stretching it from the viewpoint they are very close to being horizontal and some are very short and basic.

I think the point still stands about Cleverly, he is very limited and that graph shows it.

It's the same for all the players. They all have the same types of passes included and are treated in the same way for those passing charts. You and others have claimed that Cleverley stood out yesterday as not up to the standard. Yet he had the second highest number of passes on the pitch (1 behind Jones), with the most forward and the most in the final third of any midfielder on either team.

If that chart shows that Cleverley is very limited then the other charts show that Sandro, Dembele and Paulinho are completely incapable.
    But that is only his passing stats. I mentioned his pace, physicallity and concentration in an earlier post, they are all off that top level standard. I agree that our midfeild as a whole is poor as Carrick is not on his best form and Fellaini seems to be a shadow of his Everton self but Clev stands out amongst them

No he does not. He passes at least as well, often better, than the rest of them while also making a reasonable number of tackles, interceptions and blocks and taking up decent defensive positions.

Show me specific examples of where his pace, strength or concentration weren't up to standard. Tell me when exactly they happened in the game and I will look at them. I'm not saying that he has been playing brilliantly, far from it, but he has been playing at a similar level to the rest of our midfield this season.
    His defensive display for the equaliser was also poor. In the picture here you can see how much space he affords sandro, as does Fellaini and Welbeck but Clev is the player who must get close.

Sandro-space-given-united.jpg

When Sandro gets the ball Clev rushes in like a headless chicken, gets turned twice and allows the player to get his shot away. His actions were rash and sloppy and he should have been tighter to the player. Sandro is a good bit taller and possibly heavier but still gets away from him with ease, its not down to Sandro's pace or muscle as they never touched its just sloppy play.

Clev is a hard worker but its not enough, he keeps it short and simple the majority of the time with his passing but offers little threat with that passing and is a liability in defense.

If we are honest would not get into the midfield of our rivals and he should not get anything else than the same treatment from us. If we had other options I don't think he would get a look in. Nice guy and a workhorse but I don't think he is UTD standard.

Cleverley is in the correct position in that picture. He is covering behind Jones who is in line with the player with the ball and the goal. That's where he should be. Where do you want him to be?

When the ball gets played to Sandro Cleverley did not rush in like a headless chicken. The problem was after Sandro put in his turn Clev bought it too much and ended up getting turned again. It still required a screamer from Sandro out of nowhere to score. 99 times out of 100 he doesn't score that goal and the slip from the defending midfielder goes unpunished.

Playing short and simple passes is not an issue. All good CMs do it. And calling him a defensive liability is complete nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I can't believe people are actually trying to make out that Tom Cleverly is a good creative midfielder. He has been awful on more than one occasion. Can;t we go back to belittling Nani, Anderson and Welbeck? Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I can't believe people are actually trying to make out that Tom Cleverly is a good creative midfielder. He has been awful on more than one occasion. Can;t we go back to belittling Nani, Anderson and Welbeck? Good times.

Agreed. Anybody trying to defend Cleverly and make out he's a good player is disillusioned.

People using these silly stats as well is nonsense. It's like that Leon Britton stat, where he had a better pass success rate than Xavi. Just ridiculous that people rely on such information to judge players and form an opinion on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Looking at that pic of Cleverleys passes,many of the so called forward passes were to the wings where on one side Wellbeck was non existent & the other where we have a winger that can't cross a ball.Cleverley may as well have hit the passes into the stands as play them out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Pro. F wrote: »
    Cleverley is in the correct position in that picture. He is covering behind Jones who is in line with the player with the ball and the goal.

I don't think too much of Cleverley but this is bang on, Pro. F. He's in a perfect position The only problem there was our two lines of four were sitting really deep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

wonder how will we line up tomorrow night? with Jones and Carrick out, i would expect Giggs and Fellaini in there in midfield and surely Nani and Hernandez will start?

would be great to have RVP back and Rafael too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Cleverley will only remain with United as long as the midfield problem isn't solved and even at that Cleverley doesn't solve anything.

United need to go Real Madrid style in the transfer market and solve that problem. It has been going on way too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I don't get this "projected finish" stuff. Surely if we were on course for a top 4 finish we'd be in the top 4?

Just to clarify, I never said you were projected to finish 4th.

If all teams carry on their form relative to difficulty of fixtures, Liverpool will sneak in 4th (based on my categorising of fixture difficulty and what is expected in each type of fixture).

All I said is that United are very well-placed for 4th.

You can even see that in the real table. United have played their worst in years, are finding their feet under a new manager, and have had slightly harder fixtures than most of the top teams, yet are still basically right beside Liverpool, Spurs and Everton.
    Heres what I don't get about the whole projection thing.

Some people are assuming that our form will improve and that we will get top four. Excuse me, but on what basis can people assume that our form will improve? We have been dire all season, why exactly is that all about to change?

If it was City we were talking about I could understand it, they have been poor away from home but they can point to thrashing both us and Spurs and rightly say, "We have the potential to go on a run". Chelsea have also been poor, but again they can point to a few performances that suggest that should they click they might be hard to stop.

What can United point to? Our best result was against Arsenal where they were rubbish and we had a mighty 2 shots on goal! Every single league game we have been turgid and bereft of ideas, every one, so whats about to change in that regard?

On the basis that you are the reigning champions and the core of that squad is still there.

On the basis that the same squad has got 80-something points the last few seasons.

On the basis that there's a case for your poor form being down to a difficult period of transition under a new manager (possibly similar to Liverpool last season)

On the basis that have more spending power, muscle and are a more attractive prospect for potential signings in the January window compared to your top 4 competitors.

On the basis that there are big question marks over Liverpool, Spurs and Everton's ability to put together a 75 point or even a 70 point season, to take advantage of any potential continued slip-ups by United.

Of course United have played poorly for the most part so far and there are definitely weak points in the squad - I don't believe you have enough in you to turn this around this season and mount a title challenge.

However, I do think you are strong favourites over the top 4 challengers to get into one of the top 4 slots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,387 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RobertKK wrote: »
    Cleverley will only remain with United as long as the midfield problem isn't solved and even at that Cleverley doesn't solve anything.

United need to go Real Madrid style in the transfer market and solve that problem. It has been going on way too long.

disagree.

We do need to sort out the midfield, but I think Cleverley will remain as a good squad player.

New Signing, New Signing, Fellaini, Carrick, Cleverley.

That would be my 5 CM options, with Jones being a defender, Giggs surely having to retire at some point, and Anderson sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

yes it does, check the website for times.

you can also get the tram downstairs in the station that goes every 5-10 minutes. get off in salford keys or there is a second line (think its altringham) which allows you to get off at the cricket ground.

both tram stops are 5 minutes walk to the stadium.

or walk to Picadilly Gardens and get a bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Can't understand why he hasn't given Fabio a run of games at RB while Raf has been out.

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Can't understand why he hasn't given Fabio a run of games at RB while Raf has been out.

Fear

In the Independent today that Evra and Vidic are likely to be offered new contracts.
    Waiting till the summer to see what Giggs and Ferdinand do - retire I say would be best.
    Rooney said to be far more settled at Old Trafford with Fergie mostly out of the picture, but United are stalling on contract negotiations for the time being, but the paper seems to expect a deal to be reached when they do.

They claim United will go after Baines, Herrera and Gundogan in the transfer window.

I just wonder, if we had both Evra and Baines, would one move into midfield as a winger, personally think either would be better than Young for example.
    Would love Evra to stay beyond this season...

In the Independent today that Evra and Vidic are likely to be offered new contracts.
    Waiting till the summer to see what Giggs and Ferdinand do - retire I say would be best.
    Rooney said to be far more settled at Old Trafford with Fergie mostly out of the picture, but United are stalling on contract negotiations for the time being, but the paper seems to expect a deal to be reached when they do.

They claim United will go after Baines, Herrera and Gundogan in the transfer window.

I just wonder, if we had both Evra and Baines, would one move into midfield as a winger, personally think either would be better than Young for example.
    Would love Evra to stay beyond this season...
    Read the other day, UWS fanzine I think, that Evra wanted to leave last summer but agreed to stay for the season when we failed to get Baines in as replacement - but that he will be leaving this summer.

disagree.

We do need to sort out the midfield, but I think Cleverley will remain as a good squad player.

New Signing, New Signing, Fellaini, Carrick, Cleverley.

That would be my 5 CM options, with Jones being a defender, Giggs surely having to retire at some point, and Anderson sold.

I would like us to have a panel of midfield players where the squad player are better than Cleverley or Anderson or a player over 40.
    To be fair to you, you put Cleverley last in your list and I agree with your last sentence.

Pretty sure Paddy is out the gap this summer, I heard a few times he wanted to go get one final pay day and return to France before he retired but as United could not get a replacement in he agreed to stay

(or what Mitch said)

I would like us to have a panel of midfield players where the squad player are better than Cleverley or Anderson or a player over 40.
    To be fair to you, you put Cleverley last in your list and I agree with your last sentence.

Think about it for a while, who do you think could be the 4th or 5th choice central midfielder in a team? that would be significantly better then Cleverley, and who would also be happy to be the 4th or 5th choice central midfielder.

Players like Cleverley are useful to have around, I have no idea how people don't see that kind of stuff. The O Sheas, the Fletchers, the Cleverleys and the P Nevilles of this world are vital to title winning squads

Come in, do a job, don't rock the boat when they are benched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Wasn't too impressed to read in Sunday Independent that Utd are going in for Herrera again during Christmas break....did signing one overrated midfielder in the summer not teach them anything :(

He was amazing against Barcelona tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭F.J.

This might be of interest to a few here: http://www.setanta.com/ie/subscribe/

United on Bt/Setanta 3 times this month so a €1 for the month is a bargain.

Big post I made yesterday about Cleverley has gone missing with no explanation. I'm going to guess it was chopped because of the link to a video website. So here it is again without the link:

The truth about yesterday is that it was the same crap as we've seen all season. Moyes' completely turgid style of play with the team able to pass the ball a lot, but unable to create properly. But Cleverley was playing so that's a chance for people to rip in to him and chat all sorts of bollocks. Despite the fact that he was no worse than any of our midfielders have been all season.

If anybody would care to point out exactly when the awful play that Cleverley supposedly perpetrated took place yesterday I'd be very interested. Never mind the wishy washy "just not up to the standard" stuff, point out the terrible things that he did so we can all see them clearly.
    You'll also notice in that graphic that the majority of his blue (successful) passes are almost directly to the side or backwards. His forward passes have a 50% success rate, about 4 red and 4 blue, the four blue ones are going out wide, there is nothing there directly going into the penalty area. Actually he didn't pass the ball into the box or into a central position just outside it and the majority of his passes in advanced central areas are backwards or horizontal passes. He literally never tired or could not attempt a creative or defense splitting pass.

Its a stat that gets thrown out about him a lot after he has a bad game "Yeah but look he had a better pass % than Carrick, it was in the eighties". Its not hard when most of those passes are to safe bets and short and uncreative. Its a play like this that slows everything down and takes the momentum from our play. I would like to see, just once, Rooney and RVP up top with Kagawa as the partner to Fellaini or Carrick in MF and to see how true the "he can't operate effectively there" opinion really is. It can't get much worse than Clev's display.

You are wrong. Cleverley passed the ball forward successfully 24 times, sideways 9 and backwards 20. So nearly half his passes were forwards.

8d6c53af-55bc-464f-8221-e1b19515c620_zps9147d422.jpg
    link

It's fair of you to debate how many of those passes in that image you would call forwards, but to say that all but four of them were sideways is completely false. The same for the people saying that all his forward passes were short or simple.

Not enough of his passes went into the box? That is definitely true, and that has been a problem with all of our midfielders this season. Passing into the channels and forcing the overlap is clearly the main aim of Moyes' tactics this season. No positive or defence splitting passes from him? No, that is untrue. He played some lovely balls into the channels between the fullbacks and centre backs yesterday that turned the defence and put a United attacker in behind them.

Cleverley didn't pass the ball often enough yesterday, only 53/60. But he had the second most passes on the pitch after Jones (54/66) when he was passing much more adventurously than Jones (16/18 in the attacking third for TC to Jones' 6/11). In Spurs' midfield Demebele had 32/40 passes, Sandro 23/29 and Paulinho 13/18. So in the context of what went on in the game, how shít United have been playing all season under Moyes and how the (much sought after in this thread) Spurs CMs passed it, Cleverley's 53 passes weren't too bad. But yet he is painted as out of his depth on that performance by posters in this thread. It is complete bullshít.
    Danye wrote: »
    He only made 2 tackles in the centre of the park? What is ball recovery? Is that when Spurs misplace a pass and it's going no where and he gets his foot on it? Again only 2 interceptions in a big game playing in the most important position on the pitch?

Only 2 interceptions, only 2 tackles, only 1 clearance is not good enough... oh no wait, actually it is. Those are perfectly respectable numbers if you bother to compare them to the norm that you see around the top teams in the league.
    Today Cleverley was so bad that it was just going from the defence to Rooney/Val in the form of a hoof. Moyes changing to 4-4-2 so early only fuelled this and I was surprised he didn't put Fellaini on instead of Hernandez for Welbeck to complete the Everton-esque style.

What you are saying is in no way related to what actually happened in the game yesterday. Cleverley and Jones were on the ball more than any other players on the pitch and Cleverley passed the ball into, or within, the final third 24 times.
    I said it last week too, but days like today prove Carricks worth to the team

Could you answer me this honestly: Was yesterday's performance or result very much different from what we have been producing all season?

As far as I can see it is the exact same as what we have been seeing consistently this season, where Carrick has played a lot. Slow and rigid build up play, plenty of passes but no incision, creating lots of opportunities for wide players who can't cross, all leading to a disappointing result.

Now please show me the games where Michael Carrick has made us play better than we did yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

F.J. wrote: »

All this ties in with the notion of a clear out of sorts forthcoming, Moyes will have had a season to assess who he does and doesn't want, give the ones he wants improved deals and move on the rest, hopefully make for an exciting summer in terms of new faces at the club if nothing else. DDG is a critical one if you ask me.

The Rooney bit is interesting given we were told the other day by some other hack that he'd run down his contract and leave for nowt....2 sides of the same coin.

How would people feel about him running down his contract? Play like this for another season and a half but then leave for nothing aged 29/30...

zerks wrote: »
    Looking at that pic of Cleverleys passes,many of the so called forward passes were to the wings where on one side Wellbeck was non existent & the other where we have a winger that can't cross a ball.Cleverley may as well have hit the passes into the stands as play them out there.

And that is squarely Moyes' fault for his choice of tactics and selection of wide players. It's clear that the primary aim of Moyes' attacking tactics is to get the ball wide and cause overloads, yet he selects four wide players who can't cross so nothing is achieved when the ball gets out there. Evra and Valencia got round the back of Spurs a shítload of times yesterday, yet they could provide nothing in those positions.
    MagicIRL wrote: »

Never mind debating whether he is a good creative player or not. All of our CMs are having huge trouble this season, nothing is working for the team creatively. So debating whether any one player is good enough is probably missing the bigger picture just now.

But what I am arguing against at this moment is the absurd claims that Cleverley was somehow noticeably worse than every other player on the pitch yesterday or that he sticks out as the worst of our CMs this season.
    Danye wrote: »
    Agreed. Anybody trying to defend Cleverly and make out he's a good player is disillusioned.

People using these silly stats as well is nonsense. It's like that Leon Britton stat, where he had a better pass success rate than Xavi. Just ridiculous that people rely on such information to judge players and form an opinion on them.

You say that now, just like you said it yesterday. Yet you were happy to use stats when it suited you, bashing Cleverley because he "only" made two tackles and two interceptions while ignoring the fact that those numbers are perfectly respectable.

People using stats to make wild conclusions, like that Britton is better than Xavi, are indeed doing it wrong. But there are some use for the stats, like disproving the more wild claims and criticisms that get flung around sometimes or observing the areas of the game that a player was in fact making a contribution in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

kryogen wrote: »
    Pretty sure Paddy is out the gap this summer, I heard a few times he wanted to go get one final pay day and return to France before he retired but as United could not get a replacement in he agreed to stay

(or what Mitch said)

Jesus, Fabio or Buttner couldnt do any worse than Evra at the moment!

Isn't it sad that when you check your Fantasy Football and find that De Gea outscores the top scoring midfielder at the club by 11 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

ericzeking wrote: »
    All this ties in with the notion of a clear out of sorts forthcoming, Moyes will have had a season to assess who he does and doesn't want, give the ones he wants improved deals and move on the rest, hopefully make for an exciting summer in terms of new faces at the club if nothing else. DDG is a critical one if you ask me.

The Rooney bit is interesting given we were told the other day by some other hack that he'd run down his contract and leave for nowt....2 sides of the same coin.

How would people feel about him running down his contract? Play like this for another season and a half but then leave for nothing aged 29/30...

Moyes should've had a bloody clear out during the summer. Enough of this year to assess things. He was a rvial manager for 11 years, would've had detailed dossiers on strengths/weaknesses of all his opposition especially United given the record he had against us.

The squad is massive at the moment, we probably have 2 full teams out on loan and this needs to be trimmed in the upcoming summer. Several players should be exiting (i.e macheda, Bebe, Anderson, young, Petrucci, Fabio, Tunnicliffe, Vermilj and Buttner to name a few) There could be some retirements/ free transfers also (giggs. rio and paddy) and some outgoings (Nani, Vida, Valencia, Cleverly) This should lead to free up of large amount of wages to bring in new faces.

Moyes needs to identify now who he wants and get them in in january or have deals in place before teh world cup. Then he needs to go and batter down woodward's door and demand the signings. We should also be looking to get in one huge transfer and make a bloody statement of intent. Yes I'm all for getting in the young players and nurturing but we need a big player to show our rivals we mean business. There should be one of these signings every year.

DDG is critical in getting signed up. There will and could be a no 1 position at both Barca and Real for 2014/2015. Get him tied down now and end any possibility of him returning to Spain. Rooney should then be the next contract sorted out. Get it done fast and before the end of the season. His gra for the game seems to be back and he's in that devastating form that puts him in the Messi and Ronaldo bracket.

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's the same for all the players. They all have the same types of passes included and are treated in the same way for those passing charts. 1. You and others have claimed that Cleverley stood out yesterday as not up to the standard. Yet he had the second highest number of passes on the pitch (1 behind Jones), with the most forward and the most in the final third of any midfielder on either team.

If that chart shows that Cleverley is very limited then the other charts show that Sandro, Dembele and Paulinho are completely incapable.

No he does not. He passes at least as well, often better, than the rest of them 2. while also making a reasonable number of tackles, interceptions and blocks and taking up decent defensive positions.

Show me specific examples of where his pace, strength or concentration weren't up to standard. Tell me when exactly they happened in the game and I will look at them. I'm not saying that he has been playing brilliantly, far from it, but he has been playing at a similar level to the rest of our midfield this season.

Cleverley is in the correct position in that picture. He is covering behind Jones who is in line with the player with the ball and the goal. That's where he should be. 3. Where do you want him to be?

When the ball gets played to Sandro Cleverley did not rush in like a headless chicken. The problem was after Sandro put in his turn Clev bought it too much and ended up getting turned again. It still required a screamer from Sandro out of nowhere to score. 99 times out of 100 he doesn't score that goal and the slip from the defending midfielder goes unpunished.

Playing short and simple passes is not an issue. All good CMs do it. And calling him a defensive liability is complete nonsense.

1. I agree that he has been on par with our other midfielders this season in terms of passing stats but that is not the only criteria they need to be judged on, also Carrick & Fellaini are not in great form. Cleverly always has a high % of completed passes per match. On Avg after 10 matches this season his pass completion rate is 88% compared to Carricks 86% and Fellaini's 87% (after 7 matches) so he is on par for one stat.

But a pass completion stat does not tell the whole story for a MF player. He had the most forward passes in the final third you say. With the ball in the final third he created zero chances for the team. This is the problem with Clev, he works hard and grafts and is careful with his passes but is a player who gets the ball to someone who can create rather than do it himself. Carrick would cause more damage with his 86%.

2. I don't know where you are getting this stat from, he made two tackles, two interceptions, one clearance and he took on players twice and was successful once.

If you view Cleverly as a player to simply give the ball to someone who can create for us then I guess he is fine but I would also say its a low expectation to have of our midfield. We used to have Scholes, Keane and Veron in there. Carrick and Hargreaves have a good creative side also and could mix it with that company, Clev not so much.

I'm not just focusing on yesterdays match, its important to have a bigger sample size. If we compare him to Carrick this season, because they have both played 10 matches for us thus far, over the 10 game period Carrick on avg has created 12 chances compared to Clev's 6, Carrick avg's 7 defensive actions to Clev's 2.

3. He should have been closer, there is no case to make here for Clev. He rushes in because he let his man have too much space. You say Sandro turned him because Clev bought the turn, as someone who has played a decent amount of football in his youth the easiest player to turn is the one rushing at you rather then the one trying to contain you. Clev should have been closer and held a line until Sandro made his move and would not have been turned. Clev rushed in and had to halt and restart his momentum in the opposite direction giving Sandro a headstart because of this he needs to rush after Sandro a second time and when Sandro turns again Clev must halt his momentum and go in a different direction a second time, he almost slips because of it and was playing catch up in that exchange from the start because he let Sandro have too much space. Al Sandro's momentum is in the same direction, Clev has to shift and adjust his twice because of poor positioning.

TintedUnfortunateBrant.gif

BriskThornyHarlequinbug.gif

Yes 99 times out of hundred it might not fly into the top corner but its not an excuse to make for a player. "Its not too bad he lets his man beat him twice and get a shot off its ok because from that range they don't generally go in." They will go close or be pushed out by the keeper and are open for rebounds. This was that one time out of 99 and a key moment.

How many other times has he let players away? It was poor decision making, strenght and concentration. I see Vidic and other players rush in only to halt their run correctly the closer to the target they get and they don't buy the turn as easily.

You have asked for other examples, I don't have a list of examples or times in a match they happened but I see Clev scampering after players that have turned him quite a bit. There is a reason why I and others have said this about him, its because it happens when he is out there and all these pre match passing stats don't reflect how off the pace he can be at times.

Looking at all three of our MF's over a larger period of time its Clev who still sticks out for me. As a whole he is below Carrick who offers more defensively and creatively. Fellaini is not doing it for us right now but has done in the past. With Clev I have never seen a consistent level of quality near Carricks overall level. I was excited for him when he burst onto the scene but I haven't see enough quality in his game to want him in the squad. He keeps it basic and can be defensively slack and has had trouble seeing out 90 mins before, this imo is from him getting turned or not being close enough to where he should be during a game and having to cover more ground.

This is the impression I have of him after watching almost all of his matches, yes he works hard and can play better than yesterday but overall he doesn't cut the mustard. I don't have stats for this so you can take my word or not but a lot of fans don't rate him highly for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

RE: that telegraph article, G Balague said on Revista La Liga Utd wouldn't be going back in for Ander Herrera...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

KingJamsie wrote: »
    RE: that telegraph article, G Balague said on Revista La Liga Utd wouldn't be going back in for Ander Herrera...

Balague is a spoofer tbf

In an ideal world I would agree but....

I don't think United will opperate at that financial level where will we pay the transfer fees and wages of a player sufficiently better than Cleverley, that we plan to be a squad player - not intentionally (as i fear will happen with Fellaini).

Cleverley won't be on massive money (in comparison to better midfielders that could be brought in).
    Cleverley will likely be more happy with a squad role rather than a big money signing.
    Cleverley is home grown, which counts towards Uefa and PL squad conditions.

• Advertisement

KingJamsie wrote: »

Maybe we can't because we never got back the deposit we put on Falcao eh Balague?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement