Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

Trilla wrote: »
    Has anyone got a link to a better similar but better site than www.livesportontv.com ?

What's worse is the one scenario (Sandro's goal) is gone into serious overkill mode. Ridiculous to single it out, dissect it to death frame by frame and step by step.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/broadcast-schedules.html

Only for Premier League matches though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Am dreading tonight tbh. Just feel the headlines write themselves....

i am very positive about our chances tonight, think we will get 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Team for tonight

De Dog

Smalling Evans Vidicio Evra

Valencia Fellaini Anderson Nani

Kags

Rory McIlroy / Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No Carrick, No Jones, so we're stuck with Cleverley (complete and utter waste of space) Fellaini (good player but is in crap form) and Giggs (40 and blows hot and cold. 90% cold.)

So yep, we're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

J. Marston wrote: »
    No Carrick, No Jones, so we're stuck with Cleverley (complete and utter waste of space) Fellaini (good player but is in crap form) and Giggs (40 and blows hot and cold. 90% cold.)

So yep, we're screwed.

good to see your behind the team :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Januzaj must be due a start...

Will head to the pub for the game and a sparkling water...God bless Al Jazeera!

Anderson due a run out, I think he will play. You heard it here first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

ericzeking wrote: »
    Januzaj must be due a start...

Will head to the pub for the game and a sparkling water...God bless Al Jazeera!

I think they prefer Allah!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

In all the back and forth last night I missed this post, so here's my response now.
    You have a real inability to stay on point and I don't know why I'm even bothering as you have as it has been pointed out labeled Clev as world class which he is clearly not. Surely there is a movie on TV somewhere we can watch, its got to be better than this, life is too short. You rate Clev, once we get quality MF's he wont get a look in because he is not qaulity. Utd quality not Spurs quality,

1. Again you don't get to tell someone what to "go on about" or not. In future just give me a list of points or stats I can't use when discussing a topic. This should make it easier for you. I never put any limitations on you when you repeated the forward pass remark even though i explained some horizontals were a stretch to called forward passed but anyway, I think people have free reign when making a point.

2. Its not bs that criticism doesn't apply to them. Why not? because they had other areas to their games superior to that which they used over and over again. Such as? Oh I dunno maybe cause Scholes scored a sh*t load of goals and used to create lots of attacking play and dominated games and seasons and is considered one of the best players ever.

3. Again another point that proves Clev to be inferior to Carrick is bs and should not be used, I'm seeing a trend here of valid points against Clev that should not be used.

4. I said his defensive rate was equal to that of Jones and that of Spurs. Not his overall game, you want an example of superior mf play that was better or above Clevs on Sunday. How about Sandro taking on an opposition player, turning him inside out twice and scoring , you never included that one key stat when comparing Clev to the Spurs mf.

5. He is not getting abuse, its calling a poor player poor.

6. Covered already, I hope Giggs will start with Jones, we might see a defense splitting ball out of MF at least.

7. He was poor, he stuck out in the UTD MF, just because you don't like hearing it doesn't make it spoofing. Jones is a defender and makeshift MF and was as you said equal to him, not much of a compliment. Sandro did what he did to him as we covered, there was nothing equal about it. If Jones was on Sandro for that incident I can't see Sandro skinning him twice.

8. How many times did Spurs MF take on UTD players I know I saw one occasion, lead to a goal, you never went near those stats. Not that I care. I'm looking for a movie.

1. From the start I agreed that some of the passes that are counted as forward on those charts are a stretch. But like I said previously, when you compare his passing chart to the others on the pitch (taking into account that some of them are very close to sideways for every player) Cleverley had more forward passes and more passes in the attacking third than any other CM on the park.

So when you combine the fact that he passed it better than all the other CMs on the day with the fact that his defensive contribution was about at the same level as all the other CMs on the pitch (which you have already agreed is the case) then you can see that your claim that he stood out as being out of his depth was wrong.

You apparently don't rate the Spurs CMs, which is your own call. But that doesn't change the fact that your initial criticism of him, that he was out of his depth in that game, just doesn't stack up.

2. Even if Scholes rarely scored he still would have been an excellent creative CM for what he brought to the team with regards to constant linking up of play, keeping possession moving around the pitch. Just like Modric is an excellent creative CM without scoring much. That positive possession work is not reflected in the chances created stat as they both had relatively low numbers in the PL.

I say that Cleverley also brings that type of positive, consistent possession play which is not reflected in a chances created number. I'm saying that Cleverley uses possession in the same type of way that Scholes and Modric do/did, just that he is doing it at a lower level. You don't agree, no surprise. All this just shows that the chances created stat cannot be used to write off a creative CM.

3. Your initial criticism was that Cleverley was below the standards of the other players in the game on Sunday ("Of all the players out there Cleverly stuck out like a sore thumb. He was very poor. Physically, mentally and for pace he looked out of his depth."). Carrick didn't play in that game, but now you want to argue about whether Cleverley is at the standard of Carrick or not. That is completely changing the argument.

4. I agree that Sandro's one bit of incisive play was more attacking than anything that Cleverley produced, and I have said as much. However goal threat (be it with shooting or assisting) is far from the only concern of a midfielder in possession. Sandro's goal was great, but for the rest of the game he was anonymous in possession. Cleverley didn't bring a goal threat, but he did keep the ball moving in the right areas of the pitch all game, which Sandro didn't. That is important work for a CM.

5. Plenty of unfounded criticisms as I've pointed out.

6. Yeah covered already. As I showed you were wrong to directly compare Giggs' performances against Cardiff and Leverkusen to Clev's against Spurs.

7. You said that Cleverley was out of his depth. You didn't say that Jones was the same but it's okay because he's a defender. Now you admit that Cleverley was the equal to all the other CMs defensively and I have shown you that he passed it more effectively than any of them too. That is not a player out of his depth.

8. Lol at asking a question about stats that you think backs up your point and then claiming you don't care. Since you asked:

Take ons:
    Sandro: 1 successful (in opposition half)
    Dembele: 1 successful (in own half); 1 failed (in opposition half)
    Paulinho: 1 failed (in own half) (played higher up than the others but a CM type player, ignore if you wish)
    Cleverley: 1 successful and 1 failed (both in opposition half)
    Jones: 1 successful (in opposition half)

DDG
    Rafael
    Evans----Vidic
    Evra
    Valencia---Fellaini
    Cleverly----Adnan
    Rooney
    RVP

• Advertisement

Nani
    Januzaj
    Kagawa
    Rooney

That's what I'd like to see in attack, but it will probably be:
    Valencia
    Giggs/Kag
    Rooney
    RvP

And it will turn out that van Persie isn't fully fit and struggles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Finding it hard not to back Everton DNB at 11/4...

thinking about it, i think Giggs could feature heavily tonight.....

thinking about it, i think Giggs could feature heavily tonight.....

Anderson could feature heavily too :-D

Devil08 wrote: »
    Anderson could feature heavily too :-D

i know theres a pun in there, but i dont think he will play....Fellaini will defo start unless there is something wrong with him...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sure stick Fabio in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Pro. F wrote: »
    In all the back and forth last night I missed this post, so here's my response now.

You need a hobby, didn't even read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Kags interviewed about the game tonight, he expects a tough clash, its the match he made his debut in.....so he definitely wont start :pac:

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2013/Dec/shinji-kagawa-previews-manchester-united-vs-everton.aspx?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=ManUtd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Could kagawa not play centre mid with a holding midfielder beside him? Seems to have could vision, is wasted on the left. Giggs doesn't seem like a centre mid but he can slot in there nicely sometimes, why not kag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It would please us all greatly if you left the Cleverley arguement alone now. You's have said your piece and it's nearly time to be dissappointed about another game now.

Gonna take the paint brushes out in the gaff later to paint some skirting so not gonna listen to any results and then watch Match of the Day. Excited to do it. It never works tho. Somehow somewhere I always hear or see something to spoil the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

4-0 tonight, easy. Rooney to get a couple and I fancy Fellaini to score as well actually.

this should get a good rendition tonight...i think its a kicking tune.

You need a hobby, didn't even read.

One of my hobbies is posting on boards, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Going to miss the match with work, going to watch MOTD

Not expecting anything other than what we've seen all season, the headlines are writing themselves as we speak, Barkley will probably upstage our whole midfield.

I'd love to see Rooney up top with Jan/Valencia Kag, and Nani behind him for the whole game.

A draw and we'll have 6 points from the top 6 (excluding us) last year if I'm not mistaken. We need to win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Sirsok wrote: »
    Could kagawa not play centre mid with a holding midfielder beside him? Seems to have could vision, is wasted on the left. Giggs doesn't seem like a centre mid but he can slot in there nicely sometimes, why not kag?

He could, as could Rooney. But that doesn't mean they should be in there or that it would get best use out if them. I wouldn't be angry to see them in there before January but would be very sad those type of players deployed there long term.

• Advertisement

One of my hobbies is posting on boards, obviously.

Try something not involving a computer. I like the outdoors, cycling, hiking and sh1t. Much better for the mental health.

Try something not involving a computer. I like the outdoors, cycling, hiking and sh1t. Much better for the mental health.

You've twice as many posts as me in this thread. How about you try keeping your bullshít advice to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Are you really giving mental health advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

You've twice as many posts as me in this thread. How about you try keeping your bullshít advice to yourself.

Get_A_Room.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Guys please don't go down this road. Find something else to talk about.

• Advertisement

Nolars wrote: »
    Are you really giving mental health advice

No. It was clearly a joke referenced at myself. Stop the faux outrage and trying to drum up drama where there is none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

No. It was clearly a joke referenced at myself. Stop the faux outrage and trying to drum up drama where there is none.

Someone needs a hike!

Nolars wrote: »
    Someone needs a hike!

Are you really giving hiking advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Lets hope Cleverly has been working on his positioning for tonight.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

I think it was Fellanis fault for the goal, he should have been in the D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Is this badboy on TV? Wanna' watch it when I get in from work.

Edit: No it's not. -.-

Sky Sports, BT Sports, ESPN, Setanta and MUFC all on my Sky package and I still miss games. Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'm not panicking but fúck me Newcastle have more points than us :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

How about
    I'm not panicking but fúck me Arsenal have more points than us :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Not sure what Anderson should do to get even a single start and again Valencia instead of Nani..

At least Januzaj is on the bench and maybe Kagawa behind the striker..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Oh and ****ing yeah, Rafael is back.. Need his attacking threat from the right side so very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Really pisses me off seeing Welbeck starting instead of nani

arggggggggggggggg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

DM-ICE wrote: »
    How about

Ha true, but I never saw Newcastle creeping up! Southampton and Everton are playing well but Newcastle!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

...and giggs..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

ElChe32 wrote: »
    ...and giggs..

Why not Giggs his performance against Leverkusen is probably the best from a cm player this season. That is sad saying that but he deserves a chance just a pity Jones is missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Team?
    Edit never mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Are there no Prem games on Sky tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Someone help a brother out and post the team. Stuck in work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Someone help a brother out and post the team. Stuck in work

the-a-team-635fp061010.jpg

Ha true, but I never saw Newcastle creeping up! Southampton and Everton are playing well but Newcastle!?

They've got a good collection of quality players imo. I thought Pardew was holding them back last season. Same as you though, I never noticed them in the table before now.

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Is this badboy on TV? Wanna' watch it when I get in from work.

Edit: No it's not. -.-

Sky Sports, BT Sports, ESPN, Setanta and MUFC all on my Sky package and I still miss games. Pathetic.

I'm in the exact same boat, all those channels and no game to watch. Yet in the US it's on NBC Sports Network at 3pm

Joke

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement