Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I would take Hiddink is a second tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

nuxxx wrote: »
    Capello?

I'd personally hate the idea of Capello managing United after his performance when last in the English game.

Really do think it's too soon all the same to be talking about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Carrick goes up on my radar every game he misses too.

Christ when is he and RVP back?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

ASAP hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Before this season started I was convinced that without proper additions to the squad the best we would finish was 3rd. I can't believe things have gone as badly as they have though. It's hard to believe how poorly we're playing at the moment.

Come end of the season top 4 is the absolute minimum IMO. If Moyes cannot manage that with a club that has our alleged resources and squad strength then he needs to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Moyes at press conference said RVP has the groin injury but it is not serious, but said he doesn't know when RVP will be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Press conference lasted about 2 mins too according to Daniel Taylor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

1 league defeat in 7 and yous want the managers head to roll yous would want to get a grip. Rome wasn't built in a day. Arsenal fan here btw.

Trilla wrote: »
    But we saw Fergie do this many a time too? Raf in midfield, Raf and Fabio on either side of midfield, Welbeck on the left, Rooney on the left, Rooney on the right, Rooney in centre mid, O Shea in midfield, Kagawa hardly used, Keane CB as a 3 vs Chelsea yonks ago... I wont bring the Carrick Fletch CBs in to it that was kinda forced

Just putting holes in your argument like you did with the Wigan Swansea cup winners comment to Doc

Really doesnt matter about saf since he doesnt manager utd anymore. Im talking about the here and now tactically wise tbh. You may think im dodging the question but I dont see any point talking about saf's previous mistakes. He can make mistakes and get away with it because he has a track record. And more often than not he still wins. Moyes isnt winning.

For example Pep and Bayern playing the best left back in the world in CM is nuts but Lahm still pulls it off but overall its a stupid mistake but Pep can get away with it because of what he has won and he still wins the games in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Januzaj was good.

• Advertisement

So does anyone else think Jesse Lingard should be brought back in January and played?
    Give Young to Birmingham on loan instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Headshot wrote: »
    He is just so tactically poor is mind boggling. Nearly every game we see a first 11 that 1-3 players that shouldnt be starting and we see subs that either make no sense or brought on way to late.
    But weren't these issues under Ferguson? Yet somehow he made it work.

Somehow Ferguson got the most out of or succeeded despite some average squad players because it was his squad. Moyes cannot do the same and I don't think it is fair to expect him to.

But f*ck me do I want to see Moyes learning quicker from his mistakes. He picks players who have consistently disappointed, drops players after a good game. He seems stubborn and unmovable one minute, refusing to makes positive subs when it's clear the game is dying for them then today his subs seemed haphazard and reckless. The last few years we didn't play like we had an identity, Ferguson was the identity. Now we have nothing...

Gringo180 wrote: »
    1 league defeat in 7 and yous want the managers head to roll yous would want to get a grip. Rome wasn't built in a day. Arsenal fan here btw.

if we had won 5-6 of those then ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Yes Rome wasn't built in a day, in fact it took 27 years to build, but now it's burning before our eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I just don't see people's adversion to getting rid of someone who plays even less attractive football than we played last year ( and tbf, last year, we won a lot but we were fairly crap to watch) and we win less often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Moyes' time at united starting to look like Hodgson's at Liverpool. Sometime's it's best to cut your losses if the fit ain't right.
    Giving a manager time just because you don't want to be like the Chelsea, City, Liverpool is nonsense and counter productive if the manager is doing a bad job. If Chelsea, City and Liverpool stood by underperforming manager's they'd be stuck with Roberto Di Matteo, Mark Hughes and Roy Hodgson, none of which are good enough for those respective clubs. You could add Moyes to that list for United imo.

yeah saw it on MUTV, it was short and Moyes looked to be under pressure, whehn asked about challenging for the title he said United need to play much better and win and see where we are at the end of the season, that it is still possible.

I say it is possible, but the form doesn't suggest this will happen.

if we had won 5-6 of those then ya.

Just because your Manchester Utd it doesn't give you's the god given right to win 90% of your games. If you count cup games its 1 defeat in 10, flying in Europe too. Give the man a chance ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Moyes' time at united starting to look like Hodgson's at Liverpool. Sometime's it's best to cut your losses if the fit ain't right.
    Giving a manager time just because you don't want to be like the Chelsea, City, Liverpool is nonsense and counter productive if the manager is doing a bad job. If Chelsea, City and Liverpool stood by underperforming manager's they'd be stuck with Roberto Di Matteo, Mark Hughes and Roy Hodgson, none of which are good enough for those respective clubs. You could add Moyes to that list for United imo.

Not sure if serious...........

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I just don't see people's adversion to getting rid of someone who plays even less attractive football than we played last year ( and tbf, last year, we won a lot but we were fairly crap to watch) and we win less often.

For me, it's more frustrating that the reason people want him to stay is not "He's the right man for the job" but more "We can't be like City or Chelsea".

(Note: That doesn't apply to everyone. Just commenting on a common theme I notice in a lot of posts).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

For years we have said 'if Carrick got injured we'd be ****ed'. I present you all injured Carrick. Not investing properly in CM is really showing. Thats a problem which Fergie is guilty off as much as Moyes.

Just a bit of the bat but we have not won the league in World Cup year since 1994

1998 Arsenal
    2002 Arsenal
    2006 Chelsea
    2010 Chelsea

This is 1 of number of excuses this year:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Running away from tough questions, why am I not surprised?

The ultimate sign we're in trouble, rivals fans wanting Moyes to be a given a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just a bit of the bat but we have not won the league in World Cup year since 1994

1998 Arsenal
    2002 Arsenal
    2006 Chelsea
    2010 Chelsea

This is 1 of number of excuses this year:)

I blame the new pitch :)

Just because your Manchester Utd it doesn't give you's the god given right to win 90% of your games. If you count cup games its 1 defeat in 10, flying in Europe too. Give the man a chance ffs.

i am giving the man a chance:confused:

more than most here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

With each week that passes, more and more people are waking up.

i am giving the man a chance:confused:

more than most here

I am talking about other people calling for him to be sacked and replaced with Hiddink. Just madness, full meltdown in here.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Running away from tough questions, why am I not surprised?

With each week that passes, more and more people are waking up.

Some nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Arsenal fan here too, and I defo think Moyes should be given a chance. I'm a big fan of his.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Arsenal fan here too, and I defo think Moyes should be given a chance. I'm a big fan of his.

So you've said. Numerous times today. And no one has taken you on until now. Not once.

Congrats! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Yeh I wonder why....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No point getting rid now. He should see out the season at least, then the situation should be evaluated if he has failed to meet criteria such as Champions League football.

Only manager who is realistically available right now who the fanbase would accept is probably Ole, and it's not like he has real experience.

I think there is an argument that,taking the Rooney situation into account, keeping Moyes or not could have a direct bearing on Rooneys future.

We are nearly half way through the season and there is nothing to suggest that Utd will improve in the second half of the season in any significant way.
    Now if the board want to give Moyes more than one season and are looking longer term with him, ok, but I do think it will hasten Rooneys departure, probably next summer, with Utd having such a poor season.

If Moyes is replaced now, it gives someone time to come in and still put their stamp on this season and may be the difference between holding onto Rooney or not.

I never wanted Moyes appointed in the first place but once he was I was most definitely going to give him a fair crack of the whip, a season or two minimum to stamp his personality on the club and see what he could do. I expected a poorer season with a new manager and all that and I was prepared for that.

But you know, at this stage of the season, the above scenario with Rooney needs to be considered seriously and I don't find the idea of Moyes not being given a full season at least, as unthinkable as I did at the start of the season. It's not knee jerk, it's not a spoilt fan(God knows I'm old enough to remember years of bad times) it's a realisation that the whole club doesn't look right, that maybe Moyes is actually out of his depth, or that something just isn't sitting right.

There's certainly plenty to ponder. Easier to do when not caught up in the emotion of poor results but I do feel the club are reaching a crossroads and need to decide which way they will go. They have reached a tipping point I believe and the idea of looking at Moyes position long term has to be considered.

I would prefer clarity of thought and action by the club. I'd hate to see them hang on to Moyes for the sake of it, for the sake of Fergies words, for the sake of not being like other clubs. If they have doubt about the appointment and the way the club is going, act swiftly and act sooner rather than later.

It's a strange position I find myself in. The idea of not giving Moyes a full season at least, while maybe not my wish,doesn't seem as unthinkable as when he was appointed. Hanging on to him could do the club far more damage than sacking a manager after 5 months in charge.

Ryan Giggs: we were unlucky, didn't take our chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Timmyctc wrote: »
    So you've said. Numerous times today. And no one has taken you on until now. Not once.

Congrats! :)

ah its only a matter of time before United are back on top, you can understand why this is enjoyable for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Give him the christmas period and see how he gets on and see if he can close the gap.
    Arsenal play Chelsea and City.
    Chelsea play Arsenal and Liverpool.
    City play Arsenal and Liverpool.
    Liverpool play City, Chelsea and Spurs.

Plenty of points to be dropped there and if yee can pick up the points and close the gap then he should be allowed stay on, if not have him gone for end of december, have new manager in for january market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

When I saw 70-30% possession to Everton at Old Trafford during the second half come up on screen it was just one of those moments when I thought to myself - we're in deep deep trouble here :(

We could do with two Borussia Dortmund players: Gundogan and Reus. Would give them back Kagawa for these two players with the relevant cash.

Next 5 games are crucial for yous. Minimum of 13 points (should be 15 really) and yous are back on track when you see Arsenal's next 3 matches (Everton, City, Chelsea) would it be a surprise for United to be within 6 points at the halfway mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

ah its only a matter of time before United are back on top, you can understand why this is enjoyable for us.

This is not a given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

RobertKK wrote: »

Grandad standing by the Grandkids, getting a bit tiresome now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bantee

Fellaini had a shocking game, Welbeck starting, Giggs played full match...... The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

On MOTD now:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Whatever peoples feelings on Fellaini, he is a much better player than he has shown at Utd so far.

I'm shocked how poor he has been.

RobertKK wrote: »

He's right. Moyes really went for it. No negativity tonight. We were very unlucky. The Moyes out brigade will ignore all this and focus on the result but Moyes made some really bold subs and after he made them we went through a spell where Everton were on the ropes. I have no idea how they managed to keep us out.

A lot is on the players after tonight, they were very wasteful. Rooney out and Vidic with an injury will be big blows.

Raf off and Welbs being left on are the only question marks I have, maybe Raf didn't have 90 mins in him, but Kagawa could not get in the game, Adnan was very good and Chico too although he could have come on earlier, but we were not coming from behind and looked good at that stage so I can understand the delay.

Desperately unlucky. Big blow and very disappointing result given how we played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

On the back of the last couple of days posting....we could have done with some of Cleverly s simple passing tonight! If only so we could string more than 5 passes together....

adox wrote: »
    Whatever peoples feelings on Fellaini, he is a much better player than he has shown at Utd so far.

I'm shocked how poor he has been.

Adox I never rated him and was against buying him. I personally think since he came to utd the magnifying glass is on him now and this is the real fell. A good game for Everton doesn't mean a good game for utd I believe

It's not just the defeats for Utd fans, it's the performances more than anything. Being outplayed at home by teams you should be beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

Made my feelings about Welbeck very clear, Sunderland is his level, if even. The guy can't score and I was startles at peoples confidence when he scored at the start of season, a nothing player. Also, it will be telling what clubs will be interested in Valencia when he is sold. He was completely at fault for the goal and should be offloaded for Jan, I really think one of the reserve players are a better option at this stage. The blame is as much on the players as Moyes. Give it time and I'm sure he will come good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Headshot wrote: »
    Really doesnt matter about saf since he doesnt manager utd anymore.

You could say exactly the same thing about Swansea and Wigan, it really doesn't matter.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's not just the defeats for Utd fans, it's the performances more than anything. Being outplayed at home by teams you should be beating.

Yep, thats it right there.

Even Stoke played well at OT against us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement