Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

you better send Rooney a message so and tell him, as he things he didnt want to leave.

as he said himself, he kept his mouth shut and just got on with it.

The first time he was bang out of order going public. Why didnt he say he wanted to stay over the summer. As things stand, he didn't want to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Trilla wrote: »
    Lol homer, this is turning into weekly thing in this thread!

Would anyone be surprised if we didn't sign anyone in the Jan transfer window? Does anyone expect any biggish name to leave then??

wouldnt be shocked at no signings. not because of woodward and moyes but for the fact january is a hard place to sign anyone worth it. just seen today(and it likely wont be true by january) but ilkay gundongon has yet to play a CL game this season so is not cup tied. since he is not getting his game at dortmund could be the ideal signing but again not expecting someone

he has the most troublesome agent in football. there is a big difference from stretford acting the b*llix and Rooney wanting to leave. he told Fergie that he would have to leave if he wasnt being picked or played in the right position, he did not however ask to leave.

you shouldnt believe everything you read in the Sun or goal.com for f*ck sake. the majority of what was written about rooney, was absolute rubbish.

Where are you gettin what he told fergie, hardly the same meeja?

Pro. F wrote: »
    From what I've seen of the 41212 you either have two of the CMs covering wide or you have the two strikers tracking back wide (I've only seen some South American teams doing it that way). Both are flawed imo.

Rooney covers plenty of ground, but he is still shít when playing from wide, which is what he would be doing if he was meant to cover the opposition fullback.

Fair enough, cheers for the reply. Anyway you'd incorporate the 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

magnumbud wrote: »
    wouldnt be shocked at no signings. not because of woodward and moyes but for the fact january is a hard place to sign anyone worth it. just seen today(and it likely wont be true by january) but ilkay gundongon has yet to play a CL game this season so is not cup tied. since he is not getting his game at dortmund could be the ideal signing but again not expecting someone

He's been injured rather than not getting his game afaik. Not being cup tied would be a nice little bonus on an incredibly good player. Can't see it happening though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hopefully January business, if any, will be completed in the first week and not end up like the summer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

I don't particularly care that Rooney obviously wanted (perhaps still does) to leave the club.He had his reasons- didn't like some people at the club, fell out with Ferguson, wanted more money, his wife hated Manchester etc... What matters to me is he didn't throw his toys out of the pram or make a fool of himself in the press. He got his head down and has worked really hard.

To blame Rooney for United's lack of creativity is madness, we need to be looking to the wings and to deeper in midfield for our creative shortcomings and that will only change by dipping into the transfer market and for Moyes to be a bit braver in picking Januzaj and Nani more often.

Fair enough, cheers for the reply. Anyway you'd incorporate the 3?

No worries. 3412 is a possibility. Would get good use out of all our spare centre backs. Kagawa in behind Rooney and Robin. But I still don't think that would work because our midfield isn't good enough to dominate the possession imo and I think you have to have that in all these types of narrow formation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Hopefully January business, if any, will be completed in the first week and not end up like the summer one.

Ya always thought deadline day was boring when Utd weren't involved but after that last deadline day Ive changed my mind on that :)

Get it done early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,379 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

he has the most troublesome agent in football. there is a big difference from stretford acting the b*llix and Rooney wanting to leave. he told Fergie that he would have to leave if he wasnt being picked or played in the right position, he did not however ask to leave.

you shouldnt believe everything you read in the Sun or goal.com for f*ck sake. the majority of what was written about rooney, was absolute rubbish.

In your opinion it was rubbish.

Rooney was more than happy to get the fook out of manchester in the summer. He didnt want to lose his loyalty bonus so kept his mouth shut.

If he didn't want to leave, as you keep saying, then why did he allow all the conjecture to continue all summer. He was quick enough to say publicly he was gutted to miss the England games. He, quite pointedly, never said he wanted to stay. Even when he talks about it now he still doesn't say he wants to stay - he says he is just concentrating on football.

If he wanted to stay, why did United have to put so much effort into getting him to stay? should have been an easy one according to you.

You're talking absolute crap on this one imo - it is plain to see Rooney wanted out of United in the summer. The prospect (and reality) of it not happening is why he kept quiet.

Even your comment a few weeks ago using his 'thank you' to fergie for clarifying the transfer request issue - as evidence he never wanted to leave was utter bollix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

If you put yourself in Rooneys shoes last year then surely you can see that he would ask/threaten to leave if something wasn't changed.

Being played out of position because of Danny Welbeck would be frustrating for anyone let alone somebody who can put in 30 goals a season.

Its not like he wants out for money, he wont get much more anywhere else. The lad is a world class striker and to put Welbeck in front of him in the pecking order was ridiculous. Show me any other top top striker that wouldn't be frustrated.

Looking at things through red tinted glasses will give you a bad view of a lot of people, look at them for what they are. A professional footballer who wants to do his job to his highest ability in order to get maximum recognition.

It's not as if he was playing badly in his proper position to warrant being dropped to midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

In all fairness, that is very very rich coming from someone who is prepared to not only believe every tabloid slur against Woodward and Moyes but to take the word of people on the forum claiming to have "heard stuff from someone in the know" or a "trusted friend/source".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

sea_monkey wrote: »
    If you put yourself in Rooneys shoes last year then surely you can see that he would ask/threaten to leave if something wasn't changed.

Being played out of position because of Danny Welbeck would be frustrating for anyone let alone somebody who can put in 30 goals a season.

Its not like he wants out for money, he wont get much more anywhere else. The lad is a world class striker and to put Welbeck in front of him in the pecking order was ridiculous. Show me any other top top striker that wouldn't be frustrated.

Looking at things through red tinted glasses will give you a bad view of a lot of people, look at them for what they are. A professional footballer who wants to do his job to his highest ability in order to get maximum recognition.

It's not as if he was playing badly in his proper position to warrant being dropped to midfield.

Why shouldn't a young player be allowed to develop? If he wasn't playing he'd moan, a place on the team is found for him in another position where he may not be at his best but still can provide goals and assists pretty consistently but he still moans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im too lazy to look but does anyone know if Moyes buys many players in January at his time with Everton?. Has he been a fan of buying mid season or not?

It different now at United but might give indication of maybe whats to come.

Personally I think we will buy 1 player(If I was to bet on it)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Im too lazy to look but does anyone know if Moyes buys many players in January at his time with Everton?. Has he been a fan of buying mid season or not?

No problem buying in January. Look at 2012

http://www.toffeeweb.com/players/transfers.asp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The Independent (I think!) was saying we'll be looking to bring in three new faces this January. A left back, a centre midfielder and a left winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

DM-ICE wrote: »
    No problem buying in January. Look at 2012

http://www.toffeeweb.com/players/transfers.asp

Its a possibility but I would rather wait until the summer and get the top targets rather than making a signing just for the sake of it in January.

Many top players don't move in January but a deal could be done to bring them during the summer. Our summer window got a little scatter shot near the end, Anders Herrera & Khedira.

If the current squad has us near the top of the table and fighting for the UCL then I think Moyes would be happy to wait.

Cesc has said he had no intention of signing for UTD and that he gave us no signals to warrant the bids either so we can rule him out.

I have a feeling Pjanic could be a target.

Pjanic definitely won't leave that impressive Roma side for United in January, then he's playing at the World Cup so you're talking about a premium price.

They sold Lamela for 25m plus add ons so will probably look for 35-40m for Pjanic. At that price I'd rather throw in a few hopeful bids at proven midfielders even if there's little chance, Gundogan maybe.

I wouldn't mind seeing a player or two brought in during a January, likes of Anderson are not featuring and regardless of other options that can be got in the summer it would make sense to bulk up certain positions in January. Moyes has had time to look at the squad so any signings made would be less likely to be rushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Liam O wrote: »
    Why shouldn't a young player be allowed to develop? If he wasn't playing he'd moan, a place on the team is found for him in another position where he may not be at his best but still can provide goals and assists pretty consistently but he still moans.

If a young player is to be developed he can deal with being played out of position. Moving a world class striker to the wing where he is uncomfortable playing to allow a young player not near as good play in his position is stupidity.

• Advertisement

Pjanic signed for Roma in 2011 and on a four year contract, only has 18 months left on it now. Roma need to extend soon or price will fall.

sea_monkey wrote: »

Welbeck was savage in the role given in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Its a possibility but I would rather wait until the summer and get the top targets rather than making a signing just for the sake of it in January.

Many top players don't move in January but a deal could be done to bring them during the summer. Our summer window got a little scatter shot near the end, Anders Herrera & Khedira.

If the current squad has us near the top of the table and fighting for the UCL then I think Moyes would be happy to wait.

I have a feeling Pjanic could be a target.
    If Moyes identifies a player now I don't see the point in waiting till the summer, a World Cup summer at that were the transfer market will be a bit crazy.

In the past he has secured the loan or low cost signings of Arteta, Coleman, Pienaar, Saha, Gibson and Donovan in January when he saw deficiencies in his Everton side so I hope he has identified those areas with United already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Welbeck was savage in the role given in fairness.

Nowhere near as good as Rooney, one of the best in the world in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Welbeck's job was to not allow Alonso a sniff of the ball in both legs. If he got the ball he would have supplied Ronaldo and Ozil all day long. He was perfect at doing this.

Ferguson thought Welbeck was better then Rooney for keeping Alsono's contribution in the game too a minumum. And he got the decision spot on.

There is no doubt that Rooney is a better player, but unfortunately for Rooney, Welbeck was better doing that role for the team.

Irish94 wrote: »
    Welbeck's job was to not allow Alonso a sniff of the ball in both legs. If he got the ball he would have supplied Ronaldo and Ozil all day long. He was perfect at doing this.

Ferguson thought Welbeck was better then Rooney for keeping Alsono's contribution in the game too a minumum. And he got the decision spot on.

There is no doubt that Rooney is a better player, but unfortunately for Rooney, Welbeck was better doing that role for the team.

Exactly, horses for courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

you better send Rooney a message so and tell him, as he things he didnt want to leave.

as he said himself, he kept his mouth shut and just got on with it.

He still hasnt said hes happy at Utd or wants to remain at the club. Only keeps talking about his own performances. Considering hes on the guts of 250k a week he should be thankful and respectful

Nuts102 wrote: »
    If a young player is to be developed he can deal with being played out of position. Moving a world class striker to the wing where he is uncomfortable playing to allow a young player not near as good play in his position is stupidity.

Rooney still produces goals and assists from the wing and his general play outside his positioning in attack hasn't been world class for a while imo. I think the problem when on the wing is that he himself gets dragged back a lot and the game somewhat passes him by. If he played like the wide forwards at Barca do he would be far more effective but his nature in the blue collar English style is to chase things right back to the corner flag if he has to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Robson99 wrote: »
    Considering hes on the guts of 250k a week he should be thankful and respectful

Why should he be? I'm not a great lover of Rooney as a person, but there's a number of clubs who would pay him that. United aren't doing it out of the kindness of their hearts, they're doing it because that's the cost of top footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Advertisement

Wasn't there an article a while back with the exact same headline but with Messi instead of Iniesta?

"Journalists" like that shouldn't have a job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Even Wayne is laughing at that one.

Liam O wrote: »
    Rooney still produces goals and assists from the wing and his general play outside his positioning in attack hasn't been world class for a while imo. I think the problem when on the wing is that he himself gets dragged back a lot and the game somewhat passes him by. If he played like the wide forwards at Barca do he would be far more effective but his nature in the blue collar English style is to chase things right back to the corner flag if he has to.

You can't compare playing on the wing at United to playing on the wing at Barca. Completely different job requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Iniesta being not happy has been a story for a while. I doubt he would want a move to cold Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Tata leaves Iniesta on the bench again

Iniesta was once again the victim of Tata Martino's rotation policy, which saw him relegated to the bench for Barcelona's trip to the Benito Villamarín. However, Leo Messi's injury in the first half meant the midfielder took to the pitch earlier than expected.

The Spain schemer has featured in every one of the team's 18 matches, although he has only played the full 90 minutes in six of those. He was substituted in seven and started five on the bench.

However, he has not gone the distance in any of Barça's most recent games. Against Real Madrid he was replaced by Song (76th minute), against Espanyol by Fàbregas (86th), against Milan also by Fàbregas (78th) and against Celta he did not come on until the 69th minute.

Marca (Google translated)
    Waiting game over Iniesta contract

Andrés Iniesta's contract talks look set to rumble on and on. Barcelona is now in no rush to secure the midfielder to a new deal, following months of unfruitful negotiations. Financial terms appear to be the stumbling block, with Iniesta apparently unhappy with the €12 million package on the table.

Barça's initial intention was to wrap up new deals for Iniesta and Gerard Piqué before turning its attention to Andoni Zubizarreta's future. Instead, the director of football has already reached an agreement with the club to extend his contract until June 2016 and will put pen to paper next Tuesday, while there has been no progress where the two stars are concerned – or at least none that the press is aware of.

Toni Freixa, the spokesman for the club's board, stated on Tuesday that talks with Iniesta "are ongoing" and claimed that no deadline has been set for a deal. In other words, fans may have to wait until next year for a breakthrough.

The Albacete-born midfielder remains under contract until 2015, meaning he has plenty of time to agree new terms. His next deal is expected to run until 2018, when Iniesta will be 34 and could well hang up his playing boots at the club.

Marca (Google translate)

Must be these stories that the Mail used to create their rumour. Marca is the Madrid paper right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Well that would certainly solve our midfield problem.

Actually thought he was older than 29...

Pro. F wrote: »
    You can't compare playing on the wing at United to playing on the wing at Barca. Completely different job requirement.

I wasn't really comparing it, I was saying he should try play a bit more like them. Nani manages to get back and still get on the ball up the pitch but Rooney just seems to show a lot more effort getting back than getting forward when out wide which is the wrong way round imo.

Jesus anyone could write that fluff. Some of the stuff out there is embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Iniesta is playing poorly. It's why he is not playing full games and why he's being linked with others. He'll not leave though.

• Advertisement

Iniesta is playing poorly. It's why he is not playing full games and why he's being linked with others. He'll not leave though.

Maybe he needs Moyes's magic touch à la Rooney! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

pl6db.jpg

There has been contact between United and Iniestas people, but the likely reality is that Iniesta will stay at Barcelona, using interest from United (as well as many other sides) to boost his contract negotiations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

There has been contact between United and Iniestas people

Interesting.. Paste a link here to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Anyone know why Hernandez wasnt playing for Mexico?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

PaddyCar wrote: »
    Anyone know why Hernandez wasnt playing for Mexico?

Didnt I read that the manager picked a squad that had no European based players in it?

• Advertisement

Interesting.. Paste a link here to that?

Nope. You can chose to believe me (as I believe the people who have told me) or not.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Didnt I read that the manager picked a squad that had no European based players in it?

New manager, new style / tactics / formation according to bleacher. Poor Javier, won't be happy at being benched for both club and country. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

New manager, new style / tactics / formation according to bleacher. Poor Javier, won't be happy at being benched for both club and country. :(

That was an amazing decision tbh, but I cant see it lasting very long. Whatever about the second leg in the WC playoffs (which is just a formality now) there's no way a manager would bring a team to a WC without all their best players.
    Surely.
    Is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's five months old but not sure if many people have seen it. Even as a non United fan, it's a pretty cool video. Compilation of United late goals from 1992-2013.

Not sure how to embed Vimeo videos!

http://vimeo.com/67305423

Al Capwned wrote: »
    That was an amazing decision tbh, but I cant see it lasting very long. Whatever about the second leg in the WC playoffs (which is just a formality now) there's no way a manager would bring a team to a WC without all their best players.
    Surely.
    Is there?

A comment in the bleacher article might explain it:
    What Herrera did was only logical. If he had played the european-based players, the 7,000 foot altitude would have been a handicap for them. He had a couple of weeks to get a team together, he plucked his base from current champion, Mexico City based America, and of course got his results. I'll bet my house that if he coaches the WC team, he'll be using the european-based players. It's not rocket science.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement