Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Hate to say it but I can't see any way back for Moyes now. The fact that there was zero reaction to going 1 nil down over the last 2 games is absolutely damning and the players should hang their head in shame. Ultimately it'll be the manager that pays the price though as I can't see the owners providing the financial backing to a manager that appears to not have the dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

LiamoSail wrote: »
    What's that banner they have "for every manc a reason" or something like that?

Given the present situation, they maybe better reverting to the original lyric "forget everything and remember"

For every Manc a religion.

A play on Ian Brown's FEAR I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

LiamoSail wrote: »
    What's that banner they have "for every manc a reason" or something like that?

Given the present situation, they maybe better reverting to the original lyric "forget everything and remember"

Here's a ball for you

ball-6x6.png

Perhaps you'd like to go bounce it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the manager of Manchester United should not be talking like this...
    MANAGER REACTION - Manchester United 0-1 Newcastle United

Manchester United manager David Moyes: "It could have been much better, we were needing a goal to give us confidence. They got a goal we could have done better with and it changed the game.

"We did not create enough but we did create some. When you are not quite firing you need things to go for us, they didn't.

"I was due to take him (Van Persie) off after 60 minutes but if I had people would have said what are you doing? We were chasing the game and needed to get a goal back.

"You try and win the next game. We move on. We will try and win the next game, never think much further than that."

Villa can move level with us today and if they beat us next week, it is really really possible that we will be 11th in the table. i refuse to believe this is the fault of the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I'm assuming he doesn't walk around the dressing room patting the boys on the back of the head saying unlucky, these things happen but at least we tried. What Moyes, Fergie or any manager says in a post match interview is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. It's fairly obvious that he was pissed during todays but it achieves nothing at all if he comes out shouting and screaming at how **** we've been.

It sends a message to other teams though. Saying things like we will try to restrict what they do (paraphrasing from the other day) says we are running scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

If Utd lose to Villa it must surely be curtains for Moyes. The club won't back him financially for a run in mid-table

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

EF wrote: »
    If Utd lose to Villa it must surely be curtains for Moyes. The club won't back him financially for a run in mid-table

Honestly, I'd as soon see him gone before then. Cause a win at Villa (which we should expect) will only drag the damaging factors on longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Clearly the players are unhappy with Moyes e.g. Rio's tweets during the week about naming the team. Also at one point in the second half the camera was on Jones receiving instructions from Moyes, normally players would nod in agreement but all Jones did was have a drink and went back on. Another time RVP ws back among the CB's to get the ball like Rooney does, goes to show there is nothing happening in our midfield.

Need to get Hiddink or Heynckes in quickly to save a CL spot.

Honestly, I'd as soon see him gone before then. Cause a win at Villa (which we should expect) will only drag the damaging factors on longer.

is there anybody on here, who think Moyes still deserves to stay in the job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Another thing to be considered is just how much of an improvement can be made in January. I can't see where the necessary improvements will be found in the middle of the season. If Woodward thought prices were too high in August he's in for a shock next month.

This is really a job that should have been done last summer but the club sat around with its thumb up its ass instead.

I find it's less and less a conversation of "does he deserve to stay" and more and more a conversation of "Are United too stubborn to admit the mistake"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Is anyone else looking on the bright side though, at least bow we're all qualified to talk to people younger than us in the pub and say "back in my day United were a top side, winning titles every year" as you stare wistfully into the middle distance, crying into your pint

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

I 100% believe moyes deserves to stay in the job and would be furious if the club sacked him. Which they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Yes.

He inherited a team in decline and surely deserves time (a period longer than 4 months of competitive football) to change things. If he doesn't make quite a few changes in Jan or the summer then I could understand impatience then. It's hardly his fault that there was also a new chairman appointed at the very same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

:confused:

Fixed the typo,meant to say 2 wins.I'd have more confidence in them getting results than us these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

All thats wrong is united have had it to good to long. Look at arsenal won nothing since 2005... These things take time. We arent chelsea or man city where we sack managers for fun. Give the man a chance he know's where his problems are and i fully expect him to address them in january. Lets give him the season and next. We are all very quick to forget Ferguson address the grows at old trafford when he asked us to get behind the manager the same way we did with him.. There's no quick fix to this problem klopp etc might do three/four years but that will be it.. He will leave it take's a special man to manage the same club for 26yrs I've no doubt that moyes will be this man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

To be fair to Moyes he was left with a poor poor midfield, the heartbeat of any great side and when that is gone your always going to struggle. I would say your centre midfield ranks about 9th or 10th in the league to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Yes.

He inherited a team in decline and surely deserves time (a period longer than 4 months of competitive football) to change things. If he doesn't make quite a few changes in Jan or the summer then I could understand impatience then. It's hardly his fault that there was also a new chairman appointed at the very same time.

He inherited the league champions, and spend 27million on the champions, and is in 10th position, nearer relegation than top.

Hes changed things all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

All the people saying Moyes was left with a shíte midfield...he had the whole summer to buy the players he wanted.. and that went well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Mr Alan wrote: »
    For every Manc a religion.

A play on Ian Brown's FEAR I believe.

Great song, its actually a quality banner tbf to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Anyone who thinks Utd are performing at the level that their squad is at is deluded.

It's as clear as day to me that Moyes needs to go sooner than later. It's damage limitation at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Players have lost the fight. These are the same players who won the league last year, and whilst some of them aren't as talented as players at City or Chelsea, they'd never have given up like that before. It was always a case that the players would compete until the last second and we'd get results from nowhere, but now, we go a goal down and everyone's head drops. It was only really Januzaj and Hernandez who seemed to be doing everything they could to get into the game.

Obviously, there's some fault with the players for not trying, but it's the manager's job to motivate them. Moyes doesn't have the players' trust at all, and as long as this continues won't get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

It's bad when it gets to the stage that you don't even want to watch Match of the Day anymore. :(

elius wrote: »
    All thats wrong is united have had it to good to long. Look at arsenal won nothing since 2005... These things take time. We arent chelsea or man city where we sack managers for fun.

Yea but Arsenal and chelea are always at the business end. Were not. Theres the difference.

ElChe32 wrote: »
    All the people saying Moyes was left with a shíte midfield...he had the whole summer to buy the players he wanted.. and that went well.

Its not easy to bring players you want in, ala Thiago, Fabregas and Herrera. Ferguson has a lot to answer for he let that midfield rot away for years without even trying to strenghten it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Everton seem to have pushed on after losing Moyes and Manchester United have regressed significantly after hiring him.

I doubt it's a coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Will Moyes be given the summer if the defeats keep coming at the rate the are ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    I 100% believe moyes deserves to stay in the job and would be furious if the club sacked him. Which they won't.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Villa can move level with us today and if they beat us next week, it is really really possible that we will be 11th in the table. i refuse to believe this is the fault of the players.
    Do you allocate any blame to the players? 10%? 50%?

Considering it's essentially the same squad as last season with essentially the same starting teams as last season, apart from not having Fergie's motivational skills, what has Moyes done all on his own to turn them into muck this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

kona wrote: »
    He inherited the league champions, and spend 27million on the champions, and is in 10th position, nearer relegation than top.

Hes changed things all right.

So being league champions means the team can't be in decline?

Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Giggs, Carrick are hardly getting better are they? That's the spine of the team for the past few years. I'd call that a decline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

kona wrote: »
    your dead right, give moyes time and were looking at a possibility of:

Rooney
    RVP
    Chico
    Evra
    Ferdinand
    Vidic

all leaving.

Whose going to come in?

Well, Looking at moyes history, Ive no belief well get quality to replace these and well overpay ala fellaini. It really is bad and noway am I happy with the thoughts of moyes "stamping a team" to play for manchester united. The thoughts of him spending hundreds of millions is scarey TBH.

If they don't want to be at the club that has given them so much success in the past after 1 bad half season then fúck them tbh. The players being so nonchalant this season has been one of the major problems imo. Do what Barca did under Guardiola, what Bayern did a couple of years back and start bringing in players with hunger to succeed, not just make up the numbers at a successful club.

Considering it's essentially the same squad as last season with essentially the same starting teams as last season, apart from not having Fergie's motivational skills, what has Moyes done all on his own to turn them into muck this year?

Its been obvious in past games he's instructed them to play negative football. This, coupled with bad team selections and bad subs, has meant that the team has suffered. Don't get me wrong, some players aren't covering themselves in glory.

But Moyes main job is to motivate the players he has and get them to do the job. And he's failing at that on multiple levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Danye wrote: »
    Why?

The squad needs a serious job done on it. 7/8 players in and out. He deserves the next 2 transfer windows to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Last season, lost 5 league games all season. Won the league

This season, lost 5 games already.

Lost at home to West Brom for first time in 30+ years,
    Lost at home to Everton for first time in 20+ years
    Lost at home to Newcastle for first time in 40+ years

8 goals scored at home in the league, failed to score in 3 home games.

Fook me that's awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Its not easy to bring players you want in, ala Thiago, Fabregas and Herrera. Ferguson has a lot to answer for he let that midfield rot away for years without even trying to strenghten it.

Ferguson failed to buy a quality central midfielder since Roy Keane .
    His buys were either average players or complete duds.
    Its the one area of the pitch he couldnt seem to gauge properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I honestly can't believe people are still standing by Moyes. How low do we have to go before you say ok this is enough?

There is no way that we will finish in the top 4 this season under Moyes.

Would you trust him and Woodward to rebuild the team based on the 27.5m they spend on Fellaini. A player from what I can see is not worth anymore than 15m and should be a squad player at best.

We need a world class defensive midfielder and the long overdue Scholes replacement. Fellaini is neither. Just an expensive bench warmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I want to back Moyes, I really do. I would absolutely love it if he could magically trn things around.... But the way we played today, that's not United, that's never being United. You can blame the players and the board all you want, but when the tactics are that negative from the home side you know something is amiss with the manager. I haven't said it yet, but I am going to say it now, Moyes has to go. He is clearly out of his depth, and the players are playing at have their abilites. That's the managers fault. We absolutely need Champions League football next season, absolutely. Or we will become be in a Liverpool-esque decline very quickly

Do you allocate any blame to the players? 10%? 50%?

yes, but very little...theres players like valencia, young, welbeck and more that were awful last season and with fergie gone, could/should have been shipped out.

they certainly have been picked repeatidly and moyes deserves critic for that. the PL champions struggling to stay in the top 10, with essentially the same side that walked to the league, is primarily down to the management of the club and the team.

as has been pointed out, everton are flourising (i still expect us to finish above them) and we are at our worst state in 25 years.

So being league champions means the team can't be in decline?

Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Giggs, Carrick are hardly getting better are they? That's the spine of the team for the past few years. I'd call that a decline.

They can of course but , it has to be adressed. He threw 27million at the team, so tried to but brought in fellaini.

Also a Team doesnt decline as fast as United are here, also according to some people united are always in decline. The team there is good enough for top4. They are under achieving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I'm torn between my heart and my head on Moyes right now.

The heart says trust him to sort things out by the end of season, fill the gaps in the transfer window then get team believing again and playing the kind of football the fans want to see. Have a bit of faith.

My head says he's taken a title winning team and reduced them to mid-table mediocrity. He just said it himself that the players are the same but the performances aren't, however the excuses about transition are harder to accept when I see what Roberto Martinez is doing at Everton. Whatever about the results, Utd are playing awful football and I don't like it.

I'm sure the club will back him until the end of the season, I really hope he gets it together soon though as my heart can only rule my head for so long.

Liam O wrote: »
    If they don't want to be at the club that has given them so much success in the past after 1 bad half season then fúck them tbh. The players being so nonchalant this season has been one of the major problems imo. Do what Barca did under Guardiola, what Bayern did a couple of years back and start bringing in players with hunger to succeed, not just make up the numbers at a successful club.

Barca and Bayern had managers who knew what the **** they were doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That fella OG who was so good for us just scored to put Liverpool ahead,we could do with getting him back.

If anybody believes Utds decline this season is 100% down to Moyes they are deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

The way there playing it will take some monumental performance to beat villa next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Is anyone else looking on the bright side though, at least bow we're all qualified to talk to people younger than us in the pub and say "back in my day United were a top side, winning titles every year" as you stare wistfully into the middle distance, crying into your pint

50 years from now, when a 90 year old Giggs collects his final Premier League winners medal, we can tell the grandchildren that we stayed loyal to the club in the dark days of the Moyes era and sigh wistfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Paully D wrote: »
    Everton seem to have pushed on after losing Moyes and Manchester United have regressed significantly after hiring him.

I doubt it's a coincidence.

Everton have Lukaku this season.

I'm not going to get too emotional about today. Moyes needs to be given a chance to get players in. If top 4 is the best we can hope for this season then so be it. Even if we only make the Europa, Chelsea had to settle for that a couple of seasons ago and made the most of. They haven't done a Liverpool and disappeared off the face of the earth.

The main difference between United this season and last is that Carrick and RVP have been/are injured and out of form. There has been signs of doubt creeping into the past couple of performances when we've gone behind, but that's normal if a team is on a bad run, which we are now.

There is no advantage to getting rid of Moyes now or before the end of the season, absolutely none.

Money has to be spent in January as a show of force. CM targets need to be identified and brought in whatever the cost, as this club can certainly afford it.

We were terrible through the middle today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

But Moyes main job is to motivate the players he has and get them to do the job. And he's failing at that on multiple levels.
    This is where I see the main problem for Moyes. It's starting to look like he can't get the players playing for him/the players aren't bothered to play for him. Even though I'd like him to remain in charge and build his team, once the players couldn't be arsed putting in 100%, the end is coming. I'm not putting the blame for this squarely at Moyes feet alone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Last season, lost 5 league games all season. Won the league

This season, lost 5 games already.

Lost at home to West Brom for first time in 30+ years,
    Lost at home to Everton for first time in 20+ years
    Lost at home to Newcastle for first time in 40+ years

8 goals scored at home in the league, failed to score in 3 home games.

Fook me that's awful.

At least we're still breaking records! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Zico wrote: »

The heart says trust him to sort things out by the end of season, fill the gaps in the transfer window then get team believing again and playing the kind of football the fans want to see. Have a bit of faith.

Moyes teams dont play good football ,his Everton team only started to play decent football in the last 2 years ,before that it was kick and rush .
    He is a very defensive manager and not a proponent of good football.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    If anybody believes Utds decline this season is 100% down to Moyes they are deluded.

not sure anybody does. its been made clear several times here that we have problems (poor CE, poor midfield, poor transfer window), but Moyes has brought them all together.

a better world class manager, would have been able to solve them and move on before the season started.

do you think we would be staring at the possibility of being in 11th position next weekend if Mourinho was in charge?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement