Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Was Fellaini injured today or just left out of the squad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

A few brief thoughts
    Tempo just wasn't there, think there a lot of players coasting and not stepping up and caring enough. Of course it's the mangers job to motivate them but no matter who he is they should have more pride in themselves than they are showing. I'd be looking at senior players who in particular are not stepping up. The likes of Evras comments after Cardiff and those Rio comments certainly are at best unhelpful.

As usual central midfield was poor however, am I the only one who thinks Anderson done well when he came on, he carried the ball and picked out a few passes, he's the type of player we need, his fitness is obviously the issue though.

So disappointing to see the stadium emptying when their needed most, you could argue the team gave them nothing to stay for...chicken and egg scenario I suppose. It was also so quiet, when Keaneo made that prawn sandwich comment, I bet he never envisaged just how quiet it could get when the team was going through a proper bad spell.

Just a thought out of left field...Fergie was a super lucky manager and of course he made a lot of that luck with his outlook but Moyes just can't catch a break, like we could have had a pen there with the handball on the line and then not long after they get that rebound off your mans face for the goal build up.

Eh...maybe not so brief!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

It just underlines how poor the midfield is.
    Carrick is a very limited player and slows the game down.
    Imagine the difference a quality central midfielder would really make.

**** all they would probably keep trying the aul hoofball into he box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nope. :P

Yep:p

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

It just underlines how poor the midfield is.
    Carrick is a very limited player and slows the game down.
    Imagine the difference a quality central midfielder would really make.

Player's player of the year at the club awards last season. We definitely need a quality midfielder soon, but I've always thought that people write off Carrick very unfairly. You see his worth when you have Jones/Giggs/Cleverley in there instead.

• Advertisement

One crumb of comfort today is that City & Chelsea failed to capitalise & pull further ahead of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

zerks wrote: »
    One crumb of comfort today is that City & Chelsea failed to capitalise & pull further ahead of us.

I find that to be the worst part. not capitalising on these results is deadly.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Was Fellaini injured today or just left out of the squad ?
    Nah, he was on the bench. As bored as the rest of us by the look of him

Ba4rfT3CIAA2fn0.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I reckon any other top team in Europe would have fired Moyes now but our club is going to be far to stubborn I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

NiallMH93 wrote: »
    Nah, he was on the bench. As bored as the rest of us by the look of him

Ba4rfT3CIAA2fn0.jpg:large

thats him in the stands, not on the bench

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    I reckon any other top team in Europe would have fired Moyes now but our club is going to be far to stubborn I reckon

Real Madrid's policy of chopping and changing managers every five minutes didn't work out too well for them. Some people need to calm down, he hasn't even been in the job six months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Didn't watch the game.

Man we're fcuked.

It's time to go all out in the transfer window, a world class CM is priceless to us at the moment, and a winger and a left back would be nice as well.

Moyes will get the whole season. Hopefully if Bayern win the league and Dortmund get knocked out of the CL early, we can make Klopp a good offer in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Another poor performance and horrible result.

In spite of what a lot of people think, in most games this season we have had more of the possession and completed a lot more short passes than the opposition, but Newcastle won that battle comfortably today. I think Rooney was a big loss in that regard. RvP and Chico isn't a natural partnership imo and, to make it worse, RvP didn't look fit. That severely limited the out ball options compared to when Rooney is on the pitch.

One positive for me was that I thought Januzaj, Nani and Rafael looked bright. I was really hopeful early in the game because of how those three were using the limited ball they got, even though Newcastle were having more possession. But the horrible lack of fluidity came back to haunt us again, like it has all season. And I don't think Moyes' substitutions particularly helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Didn't watch the game.

Man we're fcuked.

It's time to go all out in the transfer window, a world class CM is priceless to us at the moment, and a winger and a left back would be nice as well.

Moyes will get the whole season. Hopefully if Bayern win the league and Dortmund get knocked out of the CL early, we can make Klopp a good offer in the summer.

Be hard to make him, and players, a decent offer if we don't even have CL football.

Player's player of the year at the club awards last season. We definitely need a quality midfielder soon, but I've always thought that people write off Carrick very unfairly. You see his worth when you have Jones/Giggs/Cleverley in there instead.

The point is that he isn't the saviour we need,results have been just as poor when he's played.What's the point having him in the "quarterback role" when all around him is shite?

He also lacks the personality to carry the fight in midfield,he's far too quiet on the pitch,when has anybody seen him tear into his team mates for not putting in a shift?

We have a superior midfield to the likes of Southampton but they are playing as a team,by all accounts today they played City off the field.Bar the Leverkusen game when they simply didn't turn up,when was the last time we played a team off the park this season?

No fight,no team spirit & no tempo,I'm sorry but Carrick isn't going to cure this.We need a mobile DM with somebody who can carry the game forward ahead of him.Too much reliance on the likes of RVP & Rooney to get us results,it's as if the rest of them believe it isn't their job to chip in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

We need to break the bank for Keane 2.0.... Gundogan or someone like that. Fook the cost, just pay what it takes. That would be a start.

No such thing as Keane 2.0 right now tbh

A different midfielder is needed, possibly two, and a left back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

ericzeking wrote: »

am I the only one who thinks Anderson done well when he came on, he carried the ball and picked out a few passes, he's the type of player we need, his fitness is obviously the issue though.

I think it's more the fact that at least he's attempting to carry the ball and seek out advancing passes as opposed to the usual rubbish we've been exposed to for the majority of the season more than him actually doing well.

He should start the next game.

kona wrote: »
    **** all they would probably keep trying the aul hoofball into he box.

You need to watch the games more closely. United have not been playing hoof ball this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

He's sitting on a bench wearing a jacket with SUB on it, not named among the subs for the game though.

Looks like he and Kag turned up ready to play. This must be what Rio was on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Didn't watch the game.

Man we're fcuked.

Despite the same results, the performance against Everton was infinitely better than today's performance.

We are fcuked with this manager.

• Advertisement

Woops, can't trust twitter I guess. Surprised that Kagawa didn't even make the bench when we were desperately lacking creativity from midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Zico wrote: »
    He's sitting on a bench wearing a jacket with SUB on it, not named among the subs for the game though.

Looks like he and Kag turned up ready to play. This must be what Rio was on about.

Its common for players to attend home games

Danye wrote: »
    I know I'm a Cleverly basher but lads surely nobody can continue to defend him?

Everybody today was either average, poor or just downright awful but Cleverly is even below that. So so poor.

Bollocks was he. To pick him out as being anything other than the same level as the other United players today is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Moyes won't get the whole season if he continues like this. A loss to Villa next week could see serious pressure on him.

It's not a given that he gets an entire season if it's blatantly obvious we won't make the top 4 half way through the season.
    We have a superior midfield to the likes of Southampton but they are playing as a team,by all accounts today they played City off the field.Bar the Leverkusen game when they simply didn't turn up,when was the last time we played a team off the park this season?

Lol no we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Whats with all the hoofball lads?

Pass and move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

If ye read Moyes comments after the match in his cofference he said,
    Fellaini was out with a back injury.
    Kagawa was getting sick after everton game and got his stomach pumped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Real Madrid's policy of chopping and changing managers every five minutes didn't work out too well for them. Some people need to calm down, he hasn't even been in the job six months!

Using Madrid as an excuse to stick with Moyes is bollix tbh.

Also why do you presume that people aren't calm because they are calling for Moyes head?

It's a shambles and it's getting progressively worse. The only solution is to get rid of Moyes IMO.

It really is tiresome to read you can't change your manager every five minutes, because some want to see him gone.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Bollocks was he. To pick him out as being anything other than the same level as the other United players today is nonsense.

Nah. He was rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Big difference between firing managers for winning the league or finishing 2nd to Barcelona and firing a manager who's taken you down to 9th in the league tbh.

No way should we ever go down the Madrid/Chelsea route of firing managers who are doing well. Moyes isn't doing well though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

i think the fact both city and chelsea dropped further points today too depresses me further, looks like our club and theirs are trying very hard to hand arsenal the title

adox wrote: »
    Using Madrid as an excuse to stick with Moyes is bollix tbh.

Also why do you presume that people aren't calm because they are calling for Moyes head?

It's a shambles and it's getting progressively worse. The only solution is to get rid of Moyes IMO.

It really is tiresome to read you can't change your manager every five minutes, because some want to see him gone.

TBF, he's inherited a fairly average side(as far as Premier League winning title sides go anyway), with a massive hole in midfield that Fergie failed to fix.
    We're playing crap, but what good will it really do to sack the manager? With everyone wanting Moyes out who do you think we could realistically bring in without getting stuck into the manager merry-go-round?

Guardiola is at Bayern. Zero Chance.
    Mourinho is at Chelsea. Zero Chance.
    Kloop is at Dortmund. Zero Chance.

Beyond those three, I can't think of anyone who I'd feel confident could take on this club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Nah. He was rubbish.

Wrong. He was no worse than anybody else. Was surprised he was taken off personally. Far from the worst United player, played some decent passes in the first half.

Trilla wrote: »
    Its common for players to attend home games

Of course, I presumed they had to unless given permission not to. The club doesn't pay them to spend match day on the golf course.

It's a bit John Terry'esque to be up in the stands during a match in your training gear though isn't it?

Lesser known players run the risk of ending up on fullkitwanker.co.fuk:P

Wrong. He was no worse than anybody else. Was surprised he was taken off personally. Far from the worst United player, played some decent passes in the first half.

No no, I'm right.

He was terrible yet again.

Zico wrote: »
    Of course, I presumed they had to unless given permission not to. The club doesn't pay them to spend match day on the golf course.

It's a bit John Terry'esque to be up in the stands during a match in your training gear though isn't it?

Lesser known players run the risk of ending up on fullkitwanker.co.fuk:P

He was wearing a jacket. Not his training gear.

• Advertisement

Nah. He was rubbish.

The whole team were poor. He wasn't any worse than the average performance from the team today.

In fairness Van Persie was the worst player out there today. How Moyes didn't take him off I don't know. He shouldn't have been playing in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Could a knowledgeable poster please explain to me why Man Utd are playing crap at the moment? All I can tell is that they just don't look sharp or organised enough to get a goal and that Cleverley and Jones seems afraid to be playing in the midfield. They let Tiote bully them today, jumping out of tackles etc.

The worst part of all this is that I was in a pub FULL of Geordies (at least 40) who all laughed in my face at the final whistle. Rock bottom for me really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Fear not United fans, you're away to Villa next week. Guaranteed 3 points

Pro. F wrote: »
    The whole team were poor. He wasn't any worse than the average performance from the team today.

Agreed. He was the weakest link in a poor chain though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Christ what a bad month it has been.

This biggest let down was how flat we looked. Even with Nani and Januzaj starting we looked less dangerous than Wednesday night.

Moyes tactics are not working, he needs to try something else and quickly or it will be a situation that cannot be recovered. His subs again are not inspiring.

People are naturally going after Moyes as the buck stops with him and he hasn't got it right so far and it hasn't been good enough.

But, and its important, there is more than one thing wrong with the club atm. Fergie left the MF in a poor state and Moyes didn't upgrade it enough. RVP papered up huge cracks and was unfit today, Carrick and Rooney out. The players are not blameless either, some of them look like they are taking a break from Fergies reign and are not giving it 100%.

This squad and has needed massive investment for almost 2 years now. We need 6-7 players. Ando, Clev, Buttner, Young, Val, Rio, Giggs and Evra should all be replaced either due to not being good enough, lack of form or age.

On the plus side we are actually talking about what happened and not some Woodward shi1te although it didn't stop one poster bringing his name up at every given opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Moyes said after the game that the fans know that the club are going through a big transition but that's no excuse , we won't he league last year and to not even get into the top 4 this year is not good enough and inexcusable , despite this I blame Fergie for alot of the current problems , we have been crying out for quality midfield reenforcements for years , it's ok saying give moyes time but what if we lose v villa and the next game after that , the rot will have to stop some where , rio and vidic are winding down , Rvp is 31 Rooneys situation is undecided , all our wingers aren't performing and kagawa is being messed around . Fergie said the game was changing and he is right , we needed a coach not a manager , the truth be told Everton have a better person in charge than they did last year

Valmont wrote: »
    Could a knowledgeable poster please explain to me why Man Utd are playing crap at the moment?

The manager isn't up to the job. That's it in a nutshell really.

BloodBath wrote: »
    In fairness Van Persie was the worst player out there today. How Moyes didn't take him off I don't know. He shouldn't have been playing in the first place.

From what I read (in this thread) of his post match interview, Moyes' plan before the game was to give van Persie 60 minutes. But then since we needed a goal at that stage he was frightened of what people would say if he took RvP off. Another sign that Moyes isn't cut out for this job right there for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

is there anybody on here, who think Moyes still deserves to stay in the job?

He doesn't deserve to, no, he hasn't done a thing right since getting the job.

But I still don't think it would be the right decision to sack him. We are not getting anybody better at this stage, so he has more time.

What he needs to do though is give us something to hold onto. I could handle finishing in 9th or 10th if it was all part of a bigger picture. If Moyes came out and put half the squad up for sale and said that he intended to rebuild the team around all the kids at the club, if he made some move that suggested he had the long term in mind, then I could handle whatever happens next.

He needs to make a statement of intent in the transfer window. He cannot simply keep muddling along trying to be Fergie-lite making some of the same crap decisions Fergie made in his last few years, he cannot keep acting like a rabbit caught in the headlights every gameday. He has to show us something, and he needs to do it soon.

He was wearing a jacket. Not his training gear.

Well then either you think the club suit is provided by JD sports or Fellaini and Kagawa have very poor dress sense and possibly don't spend much on clothes for themselves.

Agreed. He was the weakest link in a poor chain though.

You're not agreeing, you're saying the opposite to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

What was Rio ferdinands tweets or comments yesterday about that some are refering to?
    Didnt see them.

I thought Nani was doing ok. He still looked fairly fresh. Taking him off to bring Zaha on was a mistake.

RVP should have came off and Januzaj could have slotted in behind Hernandez. Van Persie looked totally shattered after 60 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

Changes have to be made, and soon. The tactics have been wrong as have the team selections. We seem to run out of ideas too quickly or focus too much on not being beaten instead of trying to win.

Our reliance on wingers has not helped this season. If playing wide doesn't work then we don't have a backup plan or the players to try something like 4-3-1-2.

We need investment in January and in the summer, no doubt about that. But other things have to change. Things that Moyes has control over, like training methods, tactics, selections etc.

One thing that struck me today was how Moyes said RVP was to come off at the 60th minute but then he thought about the fan reaction. That shouldn't have entered his thinking. He is the manager and it is his decision when to make changes etc. He needs to stamp his authority on the team immediately. Rio, for example, needs the hair dryer if his quotes are true.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement